Paying for Zumba; no way

RAMBLINGROSIE

We recently cruised on the Celebrity Eclipse. On previous Celebrity cruises Zumba classes were part of Activities and FREE. And they had 2 classes a day on sea days. You can imagine my disappointment when I found out they now charge $11 per Zumba class. They did have a couple of free classes which I did. I am not going to pay for the Zumba classes. Put them back with Activities and not the Fitness Center.

I think no one should show up or pay! With all the obesity in this world now, they should encourage exercise and those types of activities. I, too, was disappointed on our Silhouette TA cruise that their was a charge. I passed on that activity!! I also wrote a huge comment about this on my survey after the cruise!

Edited by sunshine100
added information

Is Zumba free while on land? I always thought there was some sort of charge/royalty fee paid out to them by businesses that offer the service.

You pay for restaurants on land too. Don't see the point of your post. There's a ton of things that are included in your cruise fare, Zumba was one of them. This is no different than suddenly charging for escargot in the MDR.

So Canyon Ranch owns 'Zumba' but you'd think the activities staff could still run a 'fit' class out on the pool deck.

They really are apples and oranges.

They did on our TA in Nov. They were "keep fit dance class's" and were very well attended and lots of fun.

Edited by Christine Frances

Is Zumba free while on land? I always thought there was some sort of charge/royalty fee paid out to them by businesses that offer the service.
On land, Zumba is often included in one's health insurance plan, or gym or Y or employer's membership plan, so the individual is not charged a fee for the class directly as the fee is paid by the organization.

On Celebrity ships, the organization is apparently Canyon Ranch, and they are choosing to charge the passengers a fee to participate in their classes.

But even on land, there are some independent Zumba instructors who offer their own Zumba classes for a fee.

You pay for restaurants on land too. Don't see the point of your post. There's a ton of things that are included in your cruise fare, Zumba was one of them. This is no different than suddenly charging for escargot in the MDR.

Restaurants on land change their menus, remove offerings, raise prices of drinks. Some even close if they give too much away instead of charging for things.

It's kind of the same thing as removing lobster from MDR and serving it in Ocean Liners nightly....as is the case with the shorter Connie cruises in caribbean.

Nothing is static in today's world.

Crusie fares remain static ONLY because they have to remove goods & services and streamline operations along the way. That's the point of my post. So let's bring Zumba back, and add $10 per day per passenger to the cabin fares. let's bring back chocolates on pillows nightly, add another 50 cents per PAX/day. Lets add lobster to the nightly menu and add $10 per pax/day. Bring back gloved writers, add another $5 per pax per day.....

Cabin fares have not rose at the level if inflation by any stretch of the imagination, while at the same time all the goods and services cruise lines pay for have risen all along.

Join case of Zumba, they did a happy medium, it's still on offer, they id not raise everyones cabin fares, and are now letting a 3rd party handle staffing and charging only those who want to participate in it.

Gotta agree with Curt on this... I like the cabin prices and Zumba is used by a very small portion of the cruisers. I do hate that things do seem to go by the wayside though. Thru 30+ years of cruising I have seen many changes and rarely is an addition the end result.

With all the obesity in this world now, they should encourage exercise and those types of activities.

I agree that people should be active on their cruise! However I would argue that people who are serious Zumba regulars would get nothing from an overcrowed "Zumba Fest" on the pool deck.

I for one love that certain classes are for paying participants only. I go to Spin Class at least five times a week at home--I love going on the boat too (even though I find it not as difficult as regular classes at home with people who are regulars). It helps to fight off all of the calories I take in on board! If the classes were free, you would have people who really wouldn't know what they were doing, and there is a short supply of bikes.

Try fitness classes at home...(or are you adverse for paying at home too?)

My two cents (or two lbs/kilos?).

Shawn

Zumba is a trademarked name - and therefore people teaching "Zumba" have to be certified to instruct it. Last year on Eclipse Ron the instructor said he was certified. It would be interesting to ask to see if the fitness instructor is actually certified to teach Zumba. Otherwise it is really a latin dance / excise class. I loved it when it was free - but yes - I'll pay because it is a good work out that I enjoy. :(

The Zumba teacher on Solstice told me he worked now for Canyon Ranch instead of Celebrity. He was not a happy camper.

BTW, the classes are $11 + 18% tip making them almost $13.

I, too, have voted with my feet. I refuse to pay that when I go to classes at home, given by certified instructors and I pay $3.50/class. If they were not so greedy, perhaps more people would show up to take the class for even $5. To the OP, sorry you were disappointed, I was too.

The zumba classes on NCL were a huge disappointment. Lots of people in the atrium area doing something that was definitely not zumba. If it really is a zumba class I will gladly pay $11. But if it is a hot mess they call zumba they can keep it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

The zumba classes on NCL were a huge disappointment. Lots of people in the atrium area doing something that was definitely not zumba. If it really is a zumba class I will gladly pay $11. But if it is a hot mess they call zumba they can keep it.

haha! Love it!

Nothing is ever good when it's a "hot mess"!

Shawn

The Zumba teacher on Solstice told me he worked now for Canyon Ranch instead of Celebrity. He was not a happy camper.

BTW, the classes are $11 + 18% tip making them almost $13.

I, too, have voted with my feet. I refuse to pay that when I go to classes at home, given by certified instructors and I pay $3.50/class. If they were not so greedy, perhaps more people would show up to take the class for even $5. To the OP, sorry you were disappointed, I was too.

No where near $3.50 a class where I live!

http://www.victoriazumba.com/pricing/

http://www.westshorezumba.com/

Edited by Christine Frances

Cabin fares have not rose at the level if inflation by any stretch of the imagination, while at the same time all the goods and services cruise lines pay for have risen all along.

Agreed with you until this point.

Since they introduced Zumba classes, cruise fares have gone up way more than inflation!

Edited by The_Big_M

Agreed with you until this point.

Since they introduced Zumba classes, cruise fares have gone up way more than inflation!

My cruise became cheaper because of the AI offering, I was able to switch to it just before final payment. I "paid" $115 more but Grats were included ($125) so came out ahead $10.... then got $200 in OBC! So my fare went down $210 from last March when I made the booking at which time Zumba was offered for free.