Oasis returning to port?

Pilot53

I cruise often on the allure and oasis with my 4 year old son. I never let him enter the lazy pool without me IN the pool with him. Watching him from outside is not a viable option because current in the pool is strong and most 4 year olds are not strong swimmers. The only conclusion I can come up with is the child ran into the pool without the parents noticing. Maybe they were distracted for a minute and the kid entered the pool without them knowing.

Plenty of people have posted in this thread and another one trying to figure out where on the ship this happened in an effort to understand how it happened. No need to be dismissive.

I'm not being dismissive at all. As I mentioned previously, I was a lifeguard. Accidents happen in pools, lakes, oceans, etc.to swimmers of all ages and abilities. A previous poster mentioned that the lazy pool would be difficult for a 4 year old and said poster goes in the pool with their child.

Edited by celebrity

I cruise often on the allure and oasis with my 4 year old son. I never let him enter the lazy pool without me IN the pool with him. Watching him from outside is not a viable option because current in the pool is strong and most 4 year olds are not strong swimmers. The only conclusion I can come up with is the child ran into the pool without the parents noticing. Maybe they were distracted for a minute and the kid entered the pool without them knowing.

I have seen that pool but never been in it. If the current is strong then in light of what happened it should be turned off since there is no lifeguard. As far as your conclusion....... that is pure speculation.

"a pool that is too deep for a small child".

Just because I post that the child should have been monitored better doesn't make me a bad person.

I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Seems like you know which pool was involved and have concluded that the child was not correctly monitored.

Not sure how you have interpreted that you are a bad person because we disagree.

There are two sides to every story and what seems obvious to you may not be to all. There is plenty of room on these boards for debate. I will withold judgement on these poor parents, or RCI's liability until we have the whole story (which is doubtful we ever will).

All I am saying is that we do not know what happened. Maybe just maybe the family was not spending time at the pool. Perhaps they were walking around, child walked away and this was a tragic accident while looking for child.

Yes, in a perfect world everyone is watching their children and this never happens but it's not a perfect world, is it. Children run off, parents yell for them, etc.

If the parents let the 4 yr old go unsupervised then yes, shame on them but my heart still breaks for their loss.

How about holding judgement if or when the story unfolds? I am a parent of a 10 yr old who has been cruising since she was a baby. Yes, my eyes are on her but a slight turn of the head and things can and do change. Just don't judge without knowing EVERYTHING. People or jumping to conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

a slight turn of the head doesn't warrant a child being underwater for 5-10 minutes and potentially LONGER if someone above wasn't looking

Edited by Briitini

Best method to prevent drowning is swimming lessons!!! A 3 yr old can learn how to swim, float and get to the side of a pool.

Supervision is key but every child who is around a pool should know the basics.

The best way to prevent drowning is to never be in the water alone. I learned to swim at a very early age , I grew up on an island, I was on a swim team, I was a lifeguard, and I would never get into a pool or ocean without the understanding with another person that we were watching out for each other.

Seems like you know which pool was involved and have concluded that the child was not correctly monitored.

Not sure how you have interpreted that you are a bad person because we disagree.

There are two sides to every story and what seems obvious to you may not be to all. There is plenty of room on these boards for debate. I will withold judgement on these poor parents, or RCI's liability until we have the whole story (which is doubtful we ever will).

I have no idea of which pool this happened in....but I don't think the child was correctly monitored by the fact that all accounts say the child could have been in the water 5-10 minutes. That is a very, very long time......

Again, I am only commenting on my own perspective. Never take your eyes off a child of 4 years old that is anywhere near a pool area.

a slight turn of the head doesn't warrant a child being underwater for 5-10 minutes and potentially LONGER if someone above wasn't looking

I doub't the child was underwater 5-10 minutes. Don't you think the child would be dead? These accounts can't be trusted.

I'm not being dismissive at all. As I mentioned previously, I was a lifeguard. Accidents happen in pools, lakes, oceans, etc.to swimmers of all ages and abilities. A previous poster mentioned that the lazy pool would be difficult for a 4 year old and said poster goes in the pool with their child.

You are right. We have been cruising with our children since they were 3 and 4 y/o and both were already taking swimming lessons. Still, we never left their side when they were on the pool. I once celebrated my daughter's birthday with a pool party at our home and never did it again. We did hire a lifeguard and still, felt that most parents were not supervising their children.

My thoughts and prayers are with this child and his family. When I told my husband about the accident he remembered that our friend's 5 y/o needed the help of our strong son when she was on this pool.

Edited by drarill

I have no idea of which pool this happened in....but I don't think the child was correctly monitored by the fact that all accounts say the child could have been in the water 5-10 minutes. That is a very, very long time......

Again, I am only commenting on my own perspective. Never take your eyes off a child of 4 years old that is anywhere near a pool area.

My question is: How do they come up with the amount of time he was under water? Just can't see how they can say that, unless some one watched him go under, (And started their stopwatch) which isn't realistic...

David:D

I just got off the Oasis yesterday and I spent lots of time in the doughnut pool. I love Royal Caribbean, I am shareholder, and I loved our cruise, but honestly this was gross negligence on Royal Caribbean part I they deserve to be sued.

The doughnut pool on Oasis is very clearly marked to be 3 feet 5 inched deep (1.05 meters). That is 41 inches. My 6 year old son is 48 inches tall and the pool was a good 5 inches over his head.

I am a diligent parent, but when I got on the ship, the first thing I saw was the 3 feet 5 inches and I told my sone he could go in there ahead of me. He did, and I quickly had to jump in to fish him out because he was in way over his head.

I have no idea what happened, but I do have a 4 year old who is 43 inches. I could see the parents thinking it was ok for their son not realizing that the pool was labeled incorrectly.

This is very dangerous and it could have cost this child their life. Royal should have to answer to this mistake.

We have no idea what happened, as you said. If there was a mistake on Royal Caribbean's part, hopefully that will be determined and corrected right away so this can be prevented in the future. It's a little early to say it was gross negligence on their part, however. It's going to take quite an investigation to determine if there was negligence on anyone's part. We shouldn't rush to judge anyone because we weren't there and don't know the fact. Let's just hope the child is ok.

I doub't the child was underwater 5-10 minutes. Don't you think the child would be dead? These accounts can't be trusted.

From what I've read, the child was in full cardiac arrest, not breathing, when he was pulled from the water. He is in critical condition, in an induced coma. Quite possibly, he was under water for 5-10 minutes. Technically, he was dead when they pulled him out. His chances of survival are not good but miracles do happen.

My question is: How do they come up with the amount of time he was under water? Just can't see how they can say that, unless some one watched him go under, (And started their stopwatch) which isn't realistic...

I think it's probably an estimate based on discussions with people/witnesses (when did the parents last see him, when did anyone else in the pool see him, etc).

If my four year old was missing for even five minutes, everyone on that deck would know it!

I just got off the Oasis yesterday and I spent lots of time in the doughnut pool. I love Royal Caribbean, I am shareholder, and I loved our cruise, but honestly this was gross negligence on Royal Caribbean part I they deserve to be sued.

The doughnut pool on Oasis is very clearly marked to be 3 feet 5 inched deep (1.05 meters). That is 41 inches. My 6 year old son is 48 inches tall and the pool was a good 5 inches over his head.

I am a diligent parent, but when I got on the ship, the first thing I saw was the 3 feet 5 inches and I told my sone he could go in there ahead of me. He did, and I quickly had to jump in to fish him out because he was in way over his head.

I have no idea what happened, but I do have a 4 year old who is 43 inches. I could see the parents thinking it was ok for their son not realizing that the pool was labeled incorrectly.

This is very dangerous and it could have cost this child their life. Royal should have to answer to this mistake.

WOW! If this is true, they do need to do something about this. However, it probably had nothing to do with this little boy drowning.

My thoughts are that the parents did realize that their son was not with them anymore and began a search for him. Perhaps enlisting help from others. Hence where the reference to timing...5-10 minutes going by while they search.

In the meantime, this little boy found the pool and jumped in. Perhaps the passenger that spotted the little boy was searching for him. From the photos, the water is so cloudy, it looks like it would be impossible to see a body at the bottom of the pool without being higher up as this passenger was. The little boy could have been in the pool just a couple of minutes before being spotted. Let's hope so and that he will make a full recovery! Been thinking about him since last night. Special prayers last night and while at church this morning. ;)

So true....I was going on the media accounts....they could be wrong.

I hope there are updates posted of this child's progress. He and his family are in our prayers.

But the bottom line being, Mr. Fain, time to chalk up the money and employ a few more crew members (being lifeguards) on all the ships in your fleet. Stop being so beholden to Wall Street!

Worldspan

Best method to prevent drowning is swimming lessons!!! A 3 yr old can learn how to swim, float and get to the side of a pool.

Supervision is key but every child who is around a pool should know the basics.

this is true... but it seems like i read the child hit his head and had a cut on his head. which goes back to kids love to run and if it's slippery they can fall and no amount of swimming lessons will prevent that. I agree with many posts, no matter how old or experienced you are, swimming is not for just 1 person. i really feel for everyone in this situation... specially the ones that was in charge be it the mom,dad, brother sister... they will blame themselves the rest of their lives. Their whole world has changed. I hope the child survives with no after effects.

Thoughts and prayers for this patient and the family. Hopefully everything is ok.

When I was younger and in the boy scouts I was taught the buddy system. It's a simple but effective way to ensure safety while swimming. No child goes in the water without a buddy. If your buddy gets out, you get out too. If you have more than one child the kids can serve as each others buddy. If you have an only child that means you become your child's buddy.

This is how we've handled it with our kids. We also watch them while they're in the pools but we recognize that anyone can become distracted no matter how vigilant they plan to be. The buddy system gives us extra peace of mind.

We have a pool at home (seldom used). When people are over to swim, I spend the entire time with eyes on the pool. I realize that it's the parents job to watch and be responsible for their own kids, but it's my pool and ultimately my responsibility (legally and morally). So, as you can imagine I don't enjoy pool parties very much. Maybe that's why we don't have them much. BTW all of my kids were sent to Red Cross swim lessons at a very young age. I believe that it's almost criminal for a parent to raise a child without insisting that they learn to swim. It's very hard for me to understand how we have so many adults that can't swim. They don't have to like it, but they should at least be safe.

I went in that current/circular pool last year with my then 3 y/o and I felt very uncomfortable in it- my son had a life jacket on and I was holding him but I thought the pool was unsafe. There were a lot of kids and a lot of horseplay in that pool. At one point, there was an attendant at the side of the pool trying to control the kids. I feel terrible for this boy and his family. I can't imagine there will be a good outcome if he was underwater that long.

The child is in critical care and is in a coma. It is my understanding that the child was brought back from being clinically dead. This child will face a mountainous road ahead and I am sure the family is devastated. I sincerely hope for a speedy recovery for this child despite what I understand to be the medical reality. A sad event for all associated.

One of my first posts on here was regarding water safety. One can not take safety for granted whether a lake, ocean, or resort style pool. Be safe all!

Best-

Steve

Edited by PhDUnderTheSea

The child is in critical care and is in a coma. It is my understanding that the child was brought back from being clinically dead. This child will face a mountainous road ahead and I am sure the family is devastated. I sincerely hope for a speedy recovery for this child despite what I understand to be the medical reality. A sad event for all associated.

One of my first posts on here was regarding water safety. One can not take safety for granted whether a lake, ocean, or resort style pool. Be safe all!

Best-

Steve

Thank you!

If the pools are such a problem for the parents with young kids maybe

the cruise lines should just get rid of the kiddie pools.

I see far to many parents not taking care of their kids, on cruises we have been on.

We are watching our grand kids at home this weekend ages 3 and 5 and even at home we need to watch them all the time. Not easy but today it is our responsibility.

We have a pool at home (seldom used). When people are over to swim, I spend the entire time with eyes on the pool. I realize that it's the parents job to watch and be responsible for their own kids, but it's my pool and ultimately my responsibility (legally and morally). So, as you can imagine I don't enjoy pool parties very much. Maybe that's why we don't have them much. BTW all of my kids were sent to Red Cross swim lessons at a very young age. I believe that it's almost criminal for a parent to raise a child without insisting that they learn to swim. It's very hard for me to understand how we have so many adults that can't swim. They don't have to like it, but they should at least be safe.

I can't swim and panic and have anxiety when I try to. Hence I can't even have swimming lessons.

I agree with other people - my parents should have made sure I could swim as now as an adult I feel quite unsafe and inadequate around pools and water.

Matthew 7:1-3

I'm confused as I don't what that meant so I googled it. It is about judging others????

Why is this relevant to this thread?

(In fact (this is very controversial - sorry) why so many references to prayers and religion - I do not believe there is a god so these sentiments seem strange)