Less employees?

LiseD

Just back from our third HA cruise. (Veendam) Do you know if HA is sailing with fewer employees? We really noticed what seemed to be way fewer employees still trying to serve the same number of guests.

Just back from our third HA cruise. (Veendam) Do you know if HA is sailing with fewer employees? We really noticed what seemed to be way fewer employees still trying to serve the same number of guests.

I think it depends upon the ship and how full the ship is (by that I mean how many people have 3 or 4 in a cabin which makes the ship more full).

I checked the Cruise Log from our P'dam cruise and the crew ratio had not changed. Still pretty much 2:1.

I think some of the ships may reduce on particular itineraries though from what people have said. It might be interesting for you to check your cruise log and compare it to the HAL website.;)

HAL as well as other cruise lines, have been cutting down on employees in all departments for the last few years.

It certainly feels that way. Service to the cabins seems more stretched; the dining stewards seem more rushed. It takes a lot longer to get waited on in a lounge, and you are not approached for a refill as soon as you are on empty, as was once the practice. The cocktail stewards don't have the time to keep track of their patrons any more.

I checked the Cruise Log from our P'dam cruise and the crew ratio had not changed. Still pretty much 2:1.

FWIW, I just happen to have quick access to my Cruise Log from our Dec 7-14 Caribbean trip on the Eurodam: 2,083 guests & 870 crew. I don't know how that compares to the past but thought I'd throw it out there.

FWIW, I just happen to have quick access to my Cruise Log from our Dec 7-14 Caribbean trip on the Eurodam: 2,083 guests & 870 crew. I don't know how that compares to the past but thought I'd throw it out there.

That is too few to me and one of the reasons I like the smaller ships (especially the Prinsendam )

Here's what the HAL website says and, as you can see, there is a difference in the numbers:

Passenger capacity: 2,104

Crew members: 929

I have to agree with the post below....maybe because we sailed at full capacity...it was a New Years Eve cruise....our steward said he had over 30 rooms to take care of! Our dining staff was so rushed that we felt all they could do was take your order and run off to the next table. It was near impossible to order a bottle of wine and it was always delivered after we started our meal....we started joking that it was our desert wine! We waited over 1 hour for food to be delivered in the Pennical Grill. Our waitress said it was due to other "large parties" but when I got up to go to the bathroom the largest party I saw was a table of 6!

We still had a great time....but we're a bit sad that this was not the HA we were expecting and have had in the past.

I should have looked at our cruise log! I didn't even bring it home!!

It certainly feels that way. Service to the cabins seems more stretched; the dining stewards seem more rushed. It takes a lot longer to get waited on in a lounge, and you are not approached for a refill as soon as you are on empty, as was once the practice. The cocktail stewards don't have the time to keep track of their patrons any more.

Our logs for the 42-day Atlantic Adventurer on the Maasdam say 1,147 guests and 573 crew, which is about 2 to 1. I imagine the actual "crew" number always stays the same, while what I would classify as "staff" might fluctuate?

Edited by Vict0riann

Another in agreement. On our most recent HAL cruise we had a terrible time ordering drinks as we sailed out of port. We were in the Ocean Bar and after waiting about 20 minutes, DH gave up and went to the bar to place our order. Service did improve there during the cruise, but not by much. Less than two months later we were on a Princess ship. No such problems. Just booked a cruise for February - on Princess. ;)

It was near impossible to order a bottle of wine and it was always delivered after we started our meal....we started joking that it was our desert wine! We waited over 1 hour for food to be delivered in the Pennical Grill. Our waitress said it was due to other "large parties" but when I got up to go to the bathroom the largest party I saw was a table of 6!

Anyone who has run into this problem before might benefit from our ordering routine. When we sit down on the first night, we inform our waiter that we are not in a hurry and will not order any food until we have an opened bottle of wine on our table. The wine steward or the cellar master usually shows up within a minute or two and our bottle is delivered very quickly ;) After that, the service is the same all cruise long. Within a minute or two of us sitting, the wine steward shows up followed by the waiter with the menus.

Edited by taxmantoo

Our logs for the 42-day Atlantic Adventurer on the Maasdam say 1,147 guests and 573 crew, which is about 2 to 1. I imagine the actual "crew" number always stays the same, while what I would classify as "staff" might fluctuate?

that is pretty much right "on" with the HAl website (you had fewer passengeers so it would make sense the crew/staff was reduced by 7) from the HAL website:

Passenger capacity: 1,258

Crew members: 580

Anyone who has run into this problem before might benefit from our ordering routine. When we sit down on the first night, we inform our waiter that we are not in a hurry and will not order any food until we have an opened bottle of wine on our table. The wine steward or the cellar master usually shows up within a minute or two and our bottle is delivered very quickly ;) After that, the service is the same all cruise long. Within a minute or two of us sitting, the wine steward shows up followed by the waiter with the menus.

agree with you. We ask for the wine steward and tell him/her let them know we will be ordering every night. We let our waiter know that as well. After the first night, our bottle of wine is poured (if there are leftovers) or the new one is selected within minutes of us sitting down.

so far, other than the N Amsterdam we are usually happy with our service in the MDR :D

I would guess that staff levels have not decreased much, but there are fewer waiters and room stewards and more photographers, art auctioneers, acupuncturists, manicurists, masseuses and digital workshop staff than in days of yore. I assume that specialty restaurant waitstaff are less efficient (serve fewer diners each) than main dining room waitstaff.

I would bet that the waiters and stewards prefer to serve more guests and get a bigger slice out of the tip pool pie.

I would guess that staff levels have not decreased much, but there are fewer waiters and room stewards and more photographers, art auctioneers, acupuncturists, manicurists, masseuses and digital workshop staff than in days of yore. I assume that specialty restaurant waitstaff are less efficient (serve fewer diners each) than main dining room waitstaff.

I would bet that the waiters and stewards prefer to serve more guests and get a bigger slice out of the tip pool pie.

Agreed.

There are many more environmental officers onboard too which was not a department too long ago. The numbers likely are the same, the place they work has changed.

Just a heads up; everyone of the fifteen HAL ships have only one Safety Environmental & Health Officer/SEHO assigned. He reports directly to the captain and to his boss in Seattle; That number one also goes for the positions of acupuncturist (1) and Techspert (1) in the digital workshop. Art auctioneer staff usually consists of the auctioneer + one asst.

I have my cruise log from Eurodam March 21, 2009 sailing and it reports there were 925 crew on that cruise. Yes, HAL has cut their crews significantly.

Proof is in their own Cruise Log Publications.

Just a heads up; everyone of the fifteen HAL ships have only one Safety Environmental & Health Officer/SEHO assigned. He reports directly to the captain and to his boss in Seattle; That number one also goes for the positions of acupuncturist (1) and Techspert (1) in the digital workshop. Art auctioneer staff usually consists of the auctioneer + one asst.

In days of yore there were zero Techsperts, zero acupuncturists, zero art auctioneers and zero art autioneer assistants. Give me the olden days and more waiters.

In days of yore there were zero Techsperts, zero acupuncturists, zero art auctioneers and zero art autioneer assistants. Give me the olden days and more waiters.

In days of yore there was an ugly near naked guy beating a big drum to make the rowers row faster- Your point is well taken!

We had ship hostesses, more cruise staff, No FCC but there were art auctioneers with at least one assistant.