Cruising out of New York

katter24

There are three ports: Manhattan Cruise Terminal, on the west side of Manhattan - I believe only NCL sails from there - great sailing down the Hudson past the heart of the city; Bayonne - which is in New Jersey - used by Royal Caribbean - very close to Newark Airport; Brooklyn - Cunard and occasionally Princess.

We are thinking of cruising out of New York but not sure exactly where the port is? What airport should I book to fly into? Is in off Manhattan Island? I will need a hotel for the night before also...thanks for any info

Fly into La Guardia or Newark. As for hotels I have always had good luck in New York using Hotwire or Priceline .

Thanks everyone for your info...we are thinking of sailing on the NCL Breakaway's 12 day cruise from NY and will probably fly into JFK and book a hotel in Time Square for the night before...if anyone has any hotel recommendations that would be great...

Thanks everyone for your info...we are thinking of sailing on the NCL Breakaway's 12 day cruise from NY and will probably fly into JFK and book a hotel in Time Square for the night before...if anyone has any hotel recommendations that would be great...

JFK is the furthest airport from Times Square .

Just did the breakaway in December. flew into La Guardia day before the cruise. stayed at a Comfort Inn in Chinatown near Manhattan Bridge. reasonable price for New York room was tiny. we took the red eye so early at hotel so took the only room ready so it may be smaller than most rooms but likely not by much. hotel did had an included breakfast which was pretty good. few blocks walk to little Italy. pretty close to cruise terminal. booked dial 7 car service to take us to the ship. paid a few $ (4 I think) to upgrade to nicer car. car was really nice. long line to make left turn into port. cab would likely wait in line with meter running. car service was paid for trip..so driver made 3 right turns and drove right into the port.

booked with dial 7 again to pick us up after cruise. went across the street from the port terminal which is where most of the cabs and car services picked up. called when we got there and driver picked us up in less than 5 minutes.

after cruise stayed at the Best Western Presidents Inn. really close to times square. 1/2 block up from the Hershey store. nice modern hotel. got a good rate there too but they fluctuate quite a bit.

Breakaway a really nice ship. have a great time

Funny, I came into the forum to ask the same question! We plan to sail on the Breakaway in May. Our hotel is in zip code 10019. We've never been to New York before. We're flying in from Canada, and want to take a direct flight to Newark, which people highly recommended.

After using Google and TaxiMe, we were wondering how long it really takes to get from Manhattan to the cruise terminal. Would it take hours to go 15 miles? The ship leaves on a Sunday and returns on a Sunday. I know Norwegian has a transfer bus that goes to LaGuardia, but will it be absolute chaos to get a cab or some other transportation back to Newark?

Funny, I came into the forum to ask the same question! We plan to sail on the Breakaway in May. Our hotel is in zip code 10019. We've never been to New York before. We're flying in from Canada, and want to take a direct flight to Newark, which people highly recommended.

After using Google and TaxiMe, we were wondering how long it really takes to get from Manhattan to the cruise terminal. Would it take hours to go 15 miles? The ship leaves on a Sunday and returns on a Sunday. I know Norwegian has a transfer bus that goes to LaGuardia, but will it be absolute chaos to get a cab or some other transportation back to Newark?

Unless traffic is tied up (which happens pretty often in NY!) taking a taxi from LGA to the cruise terminal will take about 30-45 minutes and cost about $40-45 plus tip. From EWR it take about the same time, but the cost of a taxi will be about $75-80 because of the tolls and the fact that the trip takes you across state lines.

It would be helpful for you to tell us the exact date of the cruise, how many people are in your traveling party and your budget. NY City has hundreds of hotels in all price ranges.

Which AP depends on the price & other factors.

LGA is the closest to Manhatten but you really have to look at all the costs. Even though we live in Western NJ (almost the Poconos) I have flown out of EWR, LGA, JFK & Philly based on the price. My rule of thumb, if I will save at least $100 pp by doing so I will cross a river. When we flew from Philly it was because the tickets were $250 to LAX rather than $500 for local APs.

For example, even though parking & tolls are more, for our upcoming Florida cruise, we're flying in & out of LGA because we're saving almost $150 pp on the tickets & they are direct flights. To fly from the closer AP, even after factoring in fewer tolls & less mileage, it still would cost me $150 overall more & take 3 extra hours with less convenient flight times.

Your opinion, my opinion. Mine includes no taxi. We use public transit and have only carry-on bags. :D

Your opinion doesn't speak to the facts that LGA is closer to the cruise terminal than EWR, and that transportation is cheaper from LGA...even mass transit.

If you want to use mass transit rather than a taxi, LGA's is still cheaper than EWR's. The airport express bus to midtown from LGA is $14, versus $16 from EWR. Even cheaper is the MTA's Q70 express bus that you can take from LGA to the subway station in Jackson Heights where you can transfer to a subway that will take you to midtown. The bus fare is only $2.50 per person and when paid by MetroCard includes a free transfer to the subway.

You're free to voice your opinions. Hopefully others will prefer to save money because they know the facts.

There are three ports: Manhattan Cruise Terminal, on the west side of Manhattan - I believe only NCL sails from there - great sailing down the Hudson past the heart of the city; Bayonne - which is in New Jersey - used by Royal Caribbean - very close to Newark Airport; Brooklyn - Cunard and occasionally Princess.

Carnival sails out of Manhattan Cruise terminal as well

Check out the airfares first, to all of the airports. IF you can fly on a low cost carrier for say, $200 less but it's to the airport farthest out and it would cost you $25 more for transport from the airport to your hotel, you're ahead. If flight costs are all the same, and all other factors are the same (departure/arrival times, direct flights, etc etc) LaGuardia is the closest airport. And as far as hotels, check out priceline. We've gotten VERY good deals on Manhattan hotels using it and again, no hotel is close to everything and if you can save $100 (or more) on a hotel room, but it's a little further from the cruiseship terminal and it would cost you an extra $20 for the cab, again, you're still ahead.

Here is a link to ships sailing from Manhattan and Brooklyn in 2015.

http://www.nycruise.com/content/uploads/2014/10/NYCruise-2015-Schedulev2.pdf

On the day we are sailing on the Regal, the schedule shows NCL in Brooklyn. Does that mean we will sail from Manhattan? Is there more than one birth at Red Hook?

Thanks,

Rick

On the day we are sailing on the Regal, the schedule shows NCL in Brooklyn. Does that mean we will sail from Manhattan? Is there more than one birth at Red Hook?

Thanks,

Rick

We have never seen more then one ship in Red Hook (at a time). The facility, with its single terminal building, was obviously designed to handle one ship. If your ship is scheduled to embark from "Brooklyn" that would mean the Red Hook facility since the other facilities are located in Manhattan (on the West Side near 50th Street) and in Bayonne, NJ.

Hank