Star's Dry Dock in Portland, Oregon

calex

Can anyone local give me an address or point of interest to put in my gps to get me to a good viewing spot of the Star in drydock? My wife will be in Portland this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and wants to take my daughter to see the ship. We are on the Star on the 22nd! Thanks!

Can anyone local give me an address or point of interest to put in my gps to get me to a good viewing spot of the Star in drydock? My wife will be in Portland this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and wants to take my daughter to see the ship. We are on the Star on the 22nd! Thanks!

Not local, but google maps shows "Jack Block Park" with an observation tower, that is about the closest spot to the dock. I centered my search on "Vigor Shipyard". The satellite view shows where the floating dock is moored.

Edited by chengkp75

Not local, but google maps shows "Jack Block Park" with an observation tower, that is about the closest spot to the dock. I centered my search on "Vigor Shipyard". The satellite view shows where the floating dock is moored.

Unfortunately, Jack Block Park is near Vigor Industries in Seattle not Portland. One of the better vantage points I found last week was at Waud's Bluff near the University of Portland.

Waud Bluff is a physical feature (cliff) in Multnomah County. Waud Bluff is located within Portland, Oregon at latitute 45.5704 and longitude -122.7290.

Unfortunately, Jack Block Park is near Vigor Industries in Seattle not Portland. One of the better vantage points I found last week was at Waud's Bluff near the University of Portland.

Waud Bluff is a physical feature (cliff) in Multnomah County. Waud Bluff is located within Portland, Oregon at latitute 45.5704 and longitude -122.7290.

From my Portland street map, it looks like a good viewing place would be in Columbia Park off NW Willamette Blvd between N Woolsey and Chautauqua Blvd. It would be near the University of Portland.

Mandy

Woops, thought the harbor looked different. Sorry, senior moment.

You may be a little disappointed, as US yards are strict about tarping the entire ship below the dock's wing walls when blasting and painting.

Edited by chengkp75

From my Portland street map, it looks like a good viewing place would be in Columbia Park off NW Willamette Blvd between N Woolsey and Chautauqua Blvd. It would be near the University of Portland.

Mandy

My hunch are the trees at that park will block your view of the river. Try N. Mocks Landing Road on the grounds of the University of Portland where it makes a 90 degree at the edge of the bluff. In the basin below the bluff, the Star is at the Southern most dock on Swan Island at Vigor.

Edited by calex

Use this LINK to see Swan Island:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-124.2631/centery:45.7741/zoom:8/mmsi:311082000/shipid:374130

Zoom into to see the dry-dock and NCL STAR.

I am not a registered user of this site so I don't have access to all the

bells buzzers and whistles. I believe some of our CC posters can expound on

this link.

Based on what we saw driving down HWY 30 I think you might be able to get a good view across the river if you took NW Kittridge Ave to NW Front Ave. I think the Bluffs area view would be blocked... because it is right on the Willamette close to the end of N Channel Ave. You can see it from the bridge too as you cross over... either the Fremont or the St Johns... but you can't really stop and look, just a drive by :)

Based on what we saw driving down HWY 30 I think you might be able to get a good view across the river if you took NW Kittridge Ave to NW Front Ave. I think the Bluffs area view would be blocked... because it is right on the Willamette close to the end of N Channel Ave. You can see it from the bridge too as you cross over... either the Fremont or the St Johns... but you can't really stop and look, just a drive by :)

The photo below was taken on the railroad overpass on Kittridge before the NW Front Avenue intersection the night of the Star's arrival in Portland.

Star_Kittridge_zpsh7rkswxb.jpg

Looking like it will be a rainy day on Sunday (3/15/15) when the Star leaves Portland. Unlike like the unseasonably warm and dry weather when she arrived on March 3rd. For those of you boarding her in the upcoming days, please share your photos and opinions of what they accomplished when you return. Enjoy your extended stay in Cabo

Star_Stack_zpsx7amktq2.jpg

Chris

I was in Portland the last few days on business, and decided to see if I could figure out how to see the Star. I followed someone's advice atop to try and see her from Columbia Park. So I plugged that in to the GPS. Once there, as someone else noted, there was a mass of tall trees. I knew the water was to the left, so I just headed that way. Whilst driving down N. Willamette Drive we noticed the Star. We kept going down to see how close we could get and then drove on to the University of Portland campus and took that around and found a little area near Admissions parking where we could park and gander.

This morning -

16622571639_93b412c18a_o.jpg

My little was so excited to see the Star; we can't wait to board next week!

16601410757_391913c529_o.jpg

Img_2672 copy by Michelle in Boise, on Flickr

Img_2674 copy by Michelle in Boise, on Flickr

ri1z2X

Hey neighbor, we are in Meridian and will be on the april 5th Star sailing. Make sure everything is ready for us please :D

Small world!

So small that my husband was in some work meeting and mentioned when he would be gone, and someone else said they would be too .... and that they were going on a cruise .... for Spring Break .... to Mexico .... on NCL .... : same exact sailing!

We'll take good care of her for ya' ;)

We are leaving this afternoon, very ready for this cruise. Taking a few extra days to take a leisurely drive down HWY 1 and take in the ocean side scenery. We'll see you aboard! We'll be staying in an OS, I will certainly have a review and pics when we return.

We are sailing on the Star on April 5th. If possible, I would love to see what the teen dailies look like. We have not sailed on NCL since we have had kids. Any teen information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!