Not Another Dress Code Topic

djhsolara

Ok...get the popcorn ready...get ready to flame away. I've got an opinion to share and I'd like to know what others think as well.

We're currently on Eurodam and have noticed something interesting regarding dress code. Now I know that what it states in the "rules" is just a suggestion, but it seems like a dress code is mostly gone.

On the first night we noticed many people going to the dining room in shorts. I've always read that this is "okay" because there may have been luggage issues. I have a hard time believing that the amount of people that I saw in shorts all had luggage issues, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

The second night was Formal Night. In the past, we have seen people turned away from the dining room for not having a jacket. We have, however, heard that it is now either a jacket or tie...either works. We spoke casually with the maitre'd inquiring why people were allowed in without a jacket and/or tie. He stated that no one is allowed to be turned away from the dining room based on dress code issues anymore. The most that they can do is "advise" what the proper dress code is but cannot turn them away.

Say what you want (because I've heard it many times on here), but while it is none of my business what others wear, if I go to the trouble to wear a suit and/or tie for Formal Night, I expect that to be enforced with everyone eating in the dining room. Formal night is formal night if you're eating in the dining room. People say that it doesn't bother them with whatever anyone else wears. Call me shallow or whatever you want, but it does bother me when people aren't dressed according to the code for that evening in the dining room.

So...my question is...if there is no enforcement of the code, then what is the point in having it? Why should I take the time and effort to dress up when others are permitted in without giving the same effort? If shorts are now being permitted (BTW...I saw lots of shorts going into the dining room on the evening of Day 3 as well), why should I bother dressing in Smart Casual?

I'm not looking for "because it's the right thing to do", etc for answers...just looking for opinions of the non-enforcement that seems to be in effect now.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Yeah, I think what he meant to say is that he is to lazy to enforce it. People were pretty well dressed on my Caribbean cruise (Nov) so I don't know if there were problems. On my panama cruise in April they were loaning jackets to people at the door to gain entrance. If they are not going to enforce it then just end it.

Call me intolerant if you wish but I feel that if there is a clearly written dress code, it should be enforced absolutely and without exception. Any loaner jackets for "gentlemen" should be pink with purple polka dots so they stand out. Not sure what to do with the "ladies" as this is more complicated. An alternative might be the brig but there would not be enough brig space.

It might sound as if I am being facetious but notice my use of the words "clearly written dress code". If they do not plan to enforce it, why have it at all? I am completely serious.

DON

From the HAL website ...

"Pack as you would for any resort. Cruise vacations are casual by day, whether you're on the ship or ashore. The suggested attire for most evenings is resort casual; slacks and collared shirts for men, and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening-wear for women. On formal nights women usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and men wear a jacket and tie, dark suit, or tuxedo."

I wear a tuxedo to formal nights and also wish that people would, at a minimum, observe the suggestion. But it does remain a "SUGGESTION" and you cannot enforce compliance to a suggestion.

well, this could be one ship and it could be the new "rule". After all, they don't want to offend passengers.

If the latter is the case then make it formal optional.

To be honest, I saw no poorly dressed people on the Prinsendam nor the last Maasdam cruise. We'll see what happens on the Panama.

Why should I take the time and effort to dress up when others are permitted in without giving the same effort? If shorts are now being permitted (BTW...I saw lots of shorts going into the dining room on the evening of Day 3 as well), why should I bother dressing in Smart Casual?

Well, perhaps you shouldn't take the time and effort or bother!

I agree with you. For us part of the fun is dressing up. We were on the Westerdam this past August to Alaska and there were definitely people in the dining room on both formal and non formal nights dressed inappropriatly.

Obviously no one was enforcing it and yes it bothered me. What's the point of having a dress code, if you are not going to enforce it?

I could not agree more. If they are not going to enforce the dress code, do away with it. Some friends used to not go on cruises with us they would say sorry I don't want to dress up. They are going to Alaska with us this summer because others have told them they can get away with not going formal on formal night. What can I say it is true.

I really don't understand why we have dropped our standards in this area. I don't think there is anywhere left where people dress up. We don't dress for weddings, funerals, church or fancy restaurants. I know the people who are glad they are not enforcing the dress code will say why does it brother you? It is just not the same. If you go to the trouble of formal wear but others at your table or even the table next to you do not even try to at least follow the basic requirements it makes the experience less for me.

I am really ok if they do away with it because it is just not the same anymore. It used to be a special evening. We will be on the NA in March 14 days B2B. I know my DH will not take his tux. He will wear coat & tie I will wear cocktail attire. We will more than likely be dressed up more than most.

We were on a cruise back in October on another cruise line. We had 3 formal nights. This cruise was also over Halloween. A couple at our table did not dress for any formal nights. They said it was because they did not have room in their luggage. However on Halloween they dressed in elaborate Halloween costumes. The woman was Snow White the guy was one of the seven dwarfs their costumes were Disney quality. They looked great! My rant is over now.

Edited by ksm77

I wish HAL ( and other cruise lines) would just clearly add a statement to the cruise contract that states that shorts, t shirts, sandals, ball caps, tank tops (or other inappropriate attire) are NOT allowed in the main dining room AND main showroom and anyone not adhering to this rule will NOT be given admittance. This should be strongly ENFORCED.

Edited by taxwiz

This subject is always so heartwarming to me!:p

I care what you think of how I dress, whomever you are!;)

I would like more information on this enthralling matter, but the sirens in the background are SO annoying!:D:eek:

...they don't want to offend passengers.

Every brochure says something like this, which is from the ReadySetSail cruise catalog: "The two-tier main Dining Room with its sea views, white linens, sparkling crystal, and Rosenthal china, elevates each dining occasion." That's what they are selling us.

It is not unreasonable to want the ambiance of said "elevated" experience to include enforcement of the suggested dress code. Those who respect the attire suggestions, the occasion and their fellow diners' right to a somewhat upscale experience are not out of line if they feel offended. Those who do not respect these things, including those who don't enforce the code, are doing the offending.

MO. Aim your flame throwers somewhere else (need a suggestion as to where?).

From the HAL website ...

"Pack as you would for any resort. Cruise vacations are casual by day, whether you're on the ship or ashore. The suggested attire for most evenings is resort casual; slacks and collared shirts for men, and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening-wear for women. On formal nights women usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and men wear a jacket and tie, dark suit, or tuxedo."

I wear a tuxedo to formal nights and also wish that people would, at a minimum, observe the suggestion. But it does remain a "SUGGESTION" and you cannot enforce compliance to a suggestion.

They have definitely changed the phrasing again. Thanks for letting us see the update

"It is my VACATION and I'll dress how I want"

I hear this over and over. I too wish they would enforce the dress code but they often don't and it is the same on land also/ Oh well. I will say on my Alaska cruise this summer on Ms. "O" we saw lots of formal wear. One family of 10 all the men (even the boys) wore tuxes. another family with two young pre-teens were well turned out every night. It was so fun and made it much more of a dining experience rather than an eating experience.

Edited by nana51

HAL might be more successful if the actually provided a reasonable alternative dining venue on formal nights. Not room service, not a very early closing Lido.

Cruisers want choice...reasonable choice. It is an example of what is pushing us away from HAL

There seems to be a general lowering of standards all round, on HAL.

Society, in general. When I went to church as a girl, we wore white gloves and a head covering of some sort. Now, they wear jeans. I think it's a sign of the times and not such a big deal anymore if people don't want to dress up. We enjoy wearing decent clothing on formal nights, or on any other night, for that matter, but it seem to me that more and more people are heading to Lido to avoid the matter entirely. We were very surprised that on the 42 Maasdam, the dining room was deserted by 7 or a bit later. We also saw men in jeans dining during that time.

Society, in general. When I went to church as a girl, we wore white gloves and a head covering of some sort. Now, they wear jeans. I think it's a sign of the times and not such a big deal anymore if people don't want to dress up. We enjoy wearing decent clothing on formal nights, or on any other night, for that matter, but it seem to me that more and more people are heading to Lido to avoid the matter entirely. We were very surprised that on the 42 Maasdam, the dining room was deserted by 7 or a bit later. We also saw men in jeans dining during that time.

I hear this often but yet every cruise I've been on the MDR is packed on formal nights. Sure looks to me like most people still enjoy the formal nights.

HAL might be more successful if the actually provided a reasonable alternative dining venue on formal nights. Not room service, not a very early closing Lido.

Cruisers want choice...reasonable choice. It is an example of what is pushing us away from HAL

I don't call the Lido much of a reasonable choice either when it is actually only early dining as it closes so early. :rolleyes: We don't go to early bird specials at home and have no desire to start while on vacation.

Edited by peaches from georgia

I hear this often but yet every cruise I've been on the MDR is packed on formal nights. Sure looks to me like most people still enjoy the formal nights.

When you see the diningroom packed on formal nights, are people dressed appropriately or are they there for the better food choices?

I wish they would enforce it... After all there are other cruise lines to sail on... Those that wish to be completely informal all the time could sail with them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From my limited knowledge, there aren't many out there. I was on the Carnival Breeze in 2012 and a couple of young men were turned away from the dining room on formal night for wearing jeans. The language coming out of their mouth was rather foul and I felt bad for the Maître D. I mention Carnival because I believe it is generally known as a pretty informal cruise company.

My 2 cents (whoops, we no longer have pennies in Canada ;) ) is that if one enjoys dressing up, do it for yourself and to make yourself feel good. I love dressing up (cocktail dresses) and I do it for me, not for others. I look at what others are wearing (appropriate or not) as good fodder for gossip. There is no way that I would let someone wearing jeans on formal night ruin the experience for me. I don't give them that much power over my thoughts and feelings.

While I have always complied with the suggested attire for dress in the dining rooms, I have never concerned myself with what others choose to wear. I guess that I am just too busy enjoying my vacation and minding my own business.