Man Overboard Oasis - Picked up by Disney Magic

ryano

Require all persons on open balconies and open deck to be tethered (lifeline) to the ship at all times.

Can you imagine the fun time getting everyone untangled. It would take their minds off jumping from the ship and jumping to emotional conclusions that the ship did not do enough.

Also, could require all passengers to wear a conductive suit at all times onboard that when fully wet would send a signal to a satellite that would alert all ships at sea. Just think of the big circle with ships looking for false alarms of people in the water. The ships could also eliminate swimming pools because we don't want to get those suits wet.

Just thinking outside the box with unreasonable solutions for those lacking personal responsibility.

On a side note when reading this thread....

.....I wonder if the "swimmer" has had time to realize what he said and change his story for financial gains........

......after all he could have been initially in shock from the ordeal:eek:

But in reality, I am still wondering if it was being stupid, drunk, or suicidal.

But what ever the cause the man needs help.

Safe travels.

I think the railings are too high for someone to actually FALL off of a cruise ship.

And Note to Self: Wear life jacket while wearing bathrobe <without long pants> on balcony. :D;):D

hmm, I bet some of these poster could make a floatation device from a bathrobe with belt... maybe you after some practice in the pool, you will once again be comfortable in bathrobe without life jacket;)

It should be a major embarrassment that a passenger can go overboard without Royal Caribbean detecting that it lost a passenger at sea. Unfortunately, this cruise line has made no efforts to comply with the 2010 Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act which requires the installation of automatic man overboard systems.

The first part of your post is completely void of common sense, and the second part is flat out wrong.

Hmm. I think Thom is on to something here.

The first part of your post is completely void of common sense, and the second part is flat out wrong.

Hmm. I think Thom is on to something here.

Yeah, I think Thom nailed it. I'm on Tapatalk so have limited visibility into sunlover's posting history, but I did see that every thread they have started, except one, is critical of a cruise line or port.

The outlier is a post that asks about timing to make an early flight, with none of the expected back and forth...

In fact, all the threads have just one posting by them to chum the waters and instigate a negative discussion.

I'm all about bashing the cruise lines if they deserve it, but to incite a frenzy of negativity that directly contributes to your profits, is the seaborne equivalent of ambulance chasing and must violate the terms of service in the same way a TA drumming up business would.

(Grabbing my pitchfork) [emoji35]

The writer stated that he went up to an open deck. I think the first open deck is about 80 feet above sea level, and a wave was supposed to have knocked him off the deck into the ocean, yeah right. A wave like that would be all over social media. You can't hold a cruise ship accountable for a passenger falling overboard, it is impossible to fall overboard standing on the deck. Now if you are stupid enough to get up on a chair near the railing, then you are just stupid. And how is the cruise line going to keep track of every passenger? In this instance, how would the cruise line know he went overboard.

Was Disney delayed and if so did they get OBC? :D

I looked over on the Disney board to see if anyone was saying anything. Despite Laura from CC posting a link to an article, there has not been a single comment. Seems like anytime other lines rescue someone, there's always some talk about it.

It should be a major embarrassment that a passenger can go overboard without Royal Caribbean detecting that it lost a passenger at sea. Unfortunately, this cruise line has made no efforts to comply with the 2010 Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act which requires the installation of automatic man overboard systems.
Are you a researcher for or other employee of Scumbag Lawyer Walker? 28 posts -- welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yeah, I think Thom nailed it. I'm on Tapatalk so have limited visibility into sunlover's posting history, but I did see that every thread they have started, except one, is critical of a cruise line or port.

The outlier is a post that asks about timing to make an early flight, with none of the expected back and forth...

In fact, all the threads have just one posting by them to chum the waters and instigate a negative discussion.

I'm all about bashing the cruise lines if they deserve it, but to incite a frenzy of negativity that directly contributes to your profits, is the seaborne equivalent of ambulance chasing and must violate the terms of service in the same way a TA drumming up business would.

Wonder if he works for Scumbag Lawyer Walker. See my earlier post. It would not be outside the realm of possibility that this firm would employee folks to churn threads on CC and in other social media to recruit clients. Edited by SherriZ366

Thousands of pax delayed .. missing flights, incurring late late charges ... no .. he was NOT worth that .... and why should he not face penalties for this stupidity??

or the record it;s not likely any of this happened.

We had to return a ship around 4 hours after leaving COZ, to go back to port for a medical emergency, then turned around and made it to Key West on time the next morning at 8 am. They just sped the ship up.

That turn around added 9 or so hours to the voyage (4 back to port, 1 to handle the offload, 4 to catch up to where we were to continue forward)

Most trips, ships travel at a lower speed than they are capable of. Not always, but often, especially in the Caribbean.

SOLAS rules, "Safety of Life At Sea".

Maybe based on the threads he started but if you look at his regular posts, nah. For one thing, IMO it's a bit of a stretch to think someone would be doing this when they posted on a roll call and agreed to meet and share an excursion.

Maybe based on the threads he started but if you look at his regular posts, nah. For one thing, IMO it's a bit of a stretch to think someone would be doing this when they posted on a roll call and agreed to meet and share an excursion.
For the record, I was not seriously proposing that Sunlovers_ was you-know-who, but was rather being my usual smart-a$$ self:o

But I suppose anything is possible.

OK, from Tapatalk that's the only view I have, threads started...

(Putting safety on pitchfork... One can never be too careful) [emoji57]

no .. you don't just "fall off" a ship ...

I guess I am wondering how he was the only person affected by this "wave." No other passengers got wet? No other passengers saw this wave and reported it to crew? Any of the open decks are still pretty high up so I guess I am curious how a wave of such magnitude wouldn't have rocked the ship more. Wouldn't the crew have been on alert if the waters were so rough or was this a rogue wave that hit the ship, affecting one passenger? I am wondering what more is going to come out of this. Not passing any judgement.....just trying to figure this one out. I'm very happy for his safety. We will again be sailing on Oasis May 15'.

I guess I am wondering how he was the only person affected by this "wave." No other passengers got wet? No other passengers saw this wave and reported it to crew? Any of the open decks are still pretty high up so I guess I am curious how a wave of such magnitude wouldn't have rocked the ship more. Wouldn't the crew have been on alert if the waters were so rough or was this a rogue wave that hit the ship, affecting one passenger? I am wondering what more is going to come out of this. Not passing any judgement.....just trying to figure this one out. I'm very happy for his safety. We will again be sailing on Oasis May 15'.
If a person claimed that he was swept off the bow of a 200,000+GRT ship by a [60 to 80 foot] rouge wave that was undetected by anyone (including bridge personnel), or by anyone on numerous other ships in the area, or by any unmanned sea buoy in the area, call me judgmental if you want, but I am willing to say he is lying (or has severe mental problems). As I stated elsewhere, a claim of abducted by space aliens and then being dropped in the sea would be considerably more believable to me, as I think that there probably are other lifeforms somewhere in this wide universe.

For the record, I was not seriously proposing that Sunlovers_ was you-know-who, but was rather being my usual smart-a$$ self:o

Hey, I love a good smart a$$ and have personally gotten into trouble.:o:D

But I suppose anything is possible.

For sure.

OK, from Tapatalk that's the only view I have, threads started...

(Putting safety on pitchfork... One can never be too careful) [emoji57]

To both of you, no harm, no foul.;):)