Man Overboard Oasis - Picked up by Disney Magic

ryano

So he was climbing on the life boats?

If that's true, then how foolish is the media yammering on about cruise line responsibility when this guy was either a) drunk enough, or b) stupid enough to climb on the life boats? There are some things you just can't prevent.:rolleyes:

Edited by Cindy

If that's true, then how foolish is the media yammering on about cruise line responsibility

Thats the media for you! Never let facts get in the way of a good story. :) They either dont realize how stupid it makes them look or they just dont care.

If the passenger was responsible for himself going over then criminal charges should be brought upon him. He risked the safety of those who had to come to his rescue and also interrupted the ship's itinerary which impedes on many aspects of the cruise and cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've come to realize crew members as are much gossipers as we all are.

Ever play the "telephone game" in grade school where you whisper something to the kid next to you in a big circle then the last person says out loud what they heard?....and how much it varied from the initial thing said?

On the celebrity boards for example, crew were telling people that Bistro on 5 was converting to a suite restaurant, this even after a full X staff meeting telling them this was not happening, the Suite restaurant was being prepared in an area adjacent to MDR.

As early as 2 weeks ago, staff from Sillouhette were telling guests that during Sillie's weeklong drydock to repair an azipod, it was getting Cellar Masers converted to the new GastroBar they have on Equinox and is coming to Eclipse this spring. Nope, didn't happen, no major changes done other than fix the azipods and some routine hull maintenance and cleaning.

I listened (just last week) as a staff told the person standing next to me that the Freedom was the originally the same ship as the Explorer, but stretched. :eek: :eek:

They then said that the Quantum Class is the same ship class and design as the Oasis class:eek::eek:

No telling where incorrect info gets started.

M

I listened (just last week) as a staff told the person standing next to me that the Freedom was the originally the same ship as the Explorer, but stretched. :eek: :eek:

They then said that the Quantum Class is the same ship class and design as the Oasis class:eek::eek:

M

Funny. Actually, I think Quantum is closer to Solstice class.

M

I can see how one could opine Freedom class is rather similar to Voyager class, but bigger with some extra feature like flow rider. If there might be a language barrier between the crew member and I, I'd want to think something was lost in that barrier. But Quantum=Oasis....um, no.

M

Seems any number of times it's the crew. Someone gave an update on the child that almost drowned on the Oasis saying SHE was doing well. When the poster was questioned, they said staff, and even an officer, said it was a little girl, when in fact, it's a boy. Someone else has said staff told them Royal might be planning to build a new smaller ship to fit under the bridges when sailing out of Baltimore. As much as I would like to see that, I will not be looking up in the sky for pigs.:D

Climbing on the life boats is certainly a big change of story from being washed off board at the bow of the ship from a "big wave". lol

I can see someone trying to show off to friends drunk and climbing on a life boat...but by yourself? I've been around a lot of very drunk people (I'm a former bar owner so little surprises me) and normally they preserve those stupid drunk induced ideas when they are around others.

I can see it now, the new pre-boarding questionaire:

___ Have you been sick in the past 7 days?

___ Do you have a death wish?

___ Have you vomited in the past 7 days?

___ What is your IQ?

___ Have you had diarrhea in the past 7 days?

___ Do you have an attorney on retainer?

___ Have you been to Africa in the past year?

___ Are you considered stupid by your friends/relatives?

___ Can you swim?

___ Are the Jacka$$ movies among your favorites?

Hahahahaha! Love this.

Climbing on the life boats is certainly a big change of story from being washed off board at the bow of the ship from a "big wave". lol

I can see someone trying to show off to friends drunk and climbing on a life boat...but by yourself? I've been around a lot of very drunk people (I'm a former bar owner so little surprises me) and normally they preserve those stupid drunk induced ideas when they are around others.

As a former bar owner, you'd be qualified to assess that!

Your statement does, though, make wonder is some of them might do crazy solo stuff to take a selfie to share.

They then said that the Quantum Class is the same ship class and design as the Oasis class:eek::eek:...

I'm not buying Quantum and Oasis, but IMO the staff member is correct about Explorer and Freedom, as long as you understand the stretch was in the design phase, and not an after the fact cut and stretch. No need for the :eek: :eek: on that one.

Explorer is in the first build of Voyager ships (Voyager 1999, Explorer 2000, Adventure 2001). Design changes after that to the balconies, various room sizes, etc lead to the later Voyager ships (Navigator 2002, Mariner 2003). This was followed by Project Ultra-Voyager which became Freedom 2006. If you look at the hull and deck plans for Mariner and Freedom they are very similar except for the 92 foot stretch that introduced the H2O zone and various other changes to public decks and more cabins.

Thom

I can see how one could opine Freedom class is rather similar to Voyager class, but bigger with some extra feature like flow rider. If there might be a language barrier between the crew member and I, I'd want to think something was lost in that barrier. But Quantum=Oasis....um, no.

I too like to give a benefit to others, but not in this case. The staff was an American performer, so no language barrier. Yes, the Freedom can be described as a larger Explorer, but the exact words were, "the Freedom is the same class as the Explorer. The ship was cut and a section was added," We were on the Explorer, and the passenger asked about the Freedom, also at the same port. I guess it is possible the staff was confused and was thinking of the Enchantment, which of course is not a Voyager or Freedom Class but was in fact, cut in half and had a section added.

The point is not to argue the similarities/differences of the classes of ships but to point out that even the staff can give incorrect information.

M

I too like to give a benefit to others, but not in this case. The staff was an American performer, so no language barrier. Yes, the Freedom can be described as a larger Explorer, but the exact words were, "the Freedom is the same class as the Explorer. The ship was cut and a section was added," We were on the Explorer, and the passenger asked about the Freedom, also at the same port. I guess it is possible the staff was confused and was thinking of the Enchantment, which of course is not a Voyager or Freedom Class but was in fact, cut in half and had a section added.

The point is not to argue the similarities/differences of the classes of ships but to point out that even the staff can give incorrect information.

Yet you originally said
which in and of itself is not incorrect as Freedom is based on the same ship plans stretch during design. We ALL can give incorrect information:rolleyes:

M

I understood your point about misinformation that can emanate from staff and crew. I agree; it happens

Clearly language was not the issue with the episode you reported; instead it sounds like knowledge deficit. With such limited ship knowledge, one wonders why this entertainer did not keep mouth closed. Hope you found the some entertainment value in that overheard conversation:)

M

Well, at least they both begin with "E". :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Seems any number of times it's the crew. Someone gave an update on the child that almost drowned on the Oasis saying SHE was doing well. When the poster was questioned, they said staff, and even an officer, said it was a little girl, when in fact, it's a boy. Someone else has said staff told them Royal might be planning to build a new smaller ship to fit under the bridges when sailing out of Baltimore. As much as I would like to see that, I will not be looking up in the sky for pigs.:D

WhenPigsFly.jpg

M

For the most part that is correct. The Freedom class is basically a stretched Voyager class ship.

The Freedom-class ships are similar in design and layout to the earlier second-generation Voyager class, including an ice skating rink and a 400-foot (120 m) mall named the Royal Promenade, featuring pubs, shops, arcades, bars, and a 24-hour Cafe Promenade. New features added to the Freedom class include the FlowRider surf park, cantilevered whirlpools, a full-size boxing ring, and the H2O Zone waterpark.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802757

Overall, the ships are more alike than different.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1273586

The Freedom class ships are a stretched version of the Voyager class ships.

Edited by Cuizer2