Chops and Giovanni's, is the food a lot better than MDR?

Natmom

When we were on Navigator 8 weeks ago Giovani's had a special lunch was only 12 dollars ( normal price was 15 ) had great 4 course meal that lasted 2 hours, food was wonderful and I can be picky about Italian food,

I saw that last September on Navigator. I thought it was a nice option for some, though I would have preferred the full Giovanni's menu.

Happy Anniversary! Please go ahead and book the specialty restaurant of your choice. Our opinion should not matter. :) Having said that, I'm afraid I had the worst steak of my life at Chops. It was awful. BUT... I am in the minority, obviously.

There is always that risk! My husband and I went to a very expensive, famous steakhouse (on land) for a special dinner. My steak was amazing, his was terrible, just terrible!! Not sure if they tried to sneak in a lower cut of meat, but that combined with the fact that the chef cut it on a weird angle so therefore it didn't cook evenly.

However, we went to Chops on our last cruise, and we thought it was amazing.

Went to Portofino on our last Explorer cruise. It was a smaller, more intimate venue. The food was better than the MDR, but not substantially better. The service was no better than the MDR. In fairness to the server, he had too many tables to provide the higher level of service expected in a venue.

In our opinion, it was not worth the upcharge.

This is close to our opinion, but it is hit or miss, food usually better, but service on our last 4 times in the speciality restaurant was BAD. My issue with the specialty restaurants, is that it says 2+ hours, hell, one bottle of wine tor two hours plus. Next cruise I will say I want to complete dining in 1.5 hours can you do it, if not, MDR, and yes the food in the MDR is well, OK.

My opinion of Chops is not good. At the risk of sounding like a broken record and getting flamed. We wont be back. I said earlier in this post that i wasnt going to Chops but I only went because I wasnt paying for it. Ive had better steaks at our local bottom tier places like Western Sizzler for much less money. They have really ruined that place with the new menu in our opinion. What kind of steakhouse doesnt serve a ribeye? really? Only two cuts to choose from unless you want to pay an extra 18-20 dollars for a supposedly "better" steak? My filet was just "ok" but everything else was mediocre to just bad. Baked potato was overcooked, the shrimp cocktail tasted freezer burnt and still had a popsicle like texture to it and the new cheesecake was a joke. Service was just ok. It is no longer worth the money. Some might not believe this but I NEVER complain about food. Chops was bad enough to deserve it though and I made that point in my survey.

Giovannis absolutely rocked. Excellent food and excellent service. I highly recommend it

Edited by ryano

My opinion of Chops is not good. At the risk of sounding like a broken record and getting flamed. We wont be back. I said earlier in this post that i wasnt going to Chops but I only went because I wasnt paying for it. Ive had better steaks at our local bottom tier places like Western Sizzler for much less money. They have really ruined that place with the new menu in our opinion. What kind of steakhouse doesnt serve a ribeye? really? Only two cuts to choose from unless you want to pay an extra 18-20 dollars for a supposedly "better" steak? My filet was just "ok" but everything else was mediocre to just bad. Baked potato was overcooked, the shrimp cocktail tasted freezer burnt and still had a popsicle like texture to it and the new cheesecake was a joke. Service was just ok. It is no longer worth the money. Some might not believe this but I NEVER complain about food. Chops was bad enough to deserve it though and I made that point in my survey.

Giovannis absolutely rocked. Excellent food and excellent service. I highly recommend it

I agree with the above. I was given a free dinner at Chops and ordered the "Something Specal" dried aged steak. It would have cost about $20.00 over the $39.00 cover charge. The only thing Specal was the size of the steak. I ordered it medium rare. It was tough. There are better steaks at Outback. Service has also declined with what I believe to be less servers.

We have been crusing for over 25 years. At one time, Chops was very special, but it has really gone down hill since the menu changed. Geo Table is a good choice.

I have and will continue to boycott specialty dining for the very reason that it contributes to the decline of the MDR. And yes, in the past a good chef could produce good quality steaks (and everything else) for all who ordered them. On most cruise lines the advent of specialty dining has resulted in more complaints about the MDR.

Some ships now also have fee-based separate areas for spending your day---away from the crowds. These things all encourage a return to a "class system" where previously the beauty of a cruise vacation was that outside of cabin selection, everyone was treated basically the same. Sure, spa treatments etc were extra (as they should be) but you getting a massage did not affect my cruise experience.

We have found that the quality between Chops and Giovanni's can vary greatly from ship to ship. One time, Giovanni's was terrific and Chops not so much in terms of both food and service. The next cruise (different ship), it was reversed.

One tip is to try a specialty restaurant on a night your ship is overnighting or staying late (if applicable). The restaurants tend to be less crowded so better chance of reservations at your hour and of better service. Also, the first night aboard is typically "slow."

Izumi is not so much about better quality as the opportunity to have decent (if not exceptional) sushi. I find their pricing structure more complex -- but I guess they don't want to make it "all you can eat" sushi for $10 pp (or whatever).

The food is better. Higher quality meat. Larger and higher quality seafood. Wait staff with fewer tables assigned.

Some ships now also have fee-based separate areas for spending your day---away from the crowds. These things all encourage a return to a "class system" where previously the beauty of a cruise vacation was that outside of cabin selection, everyone was treated basically the same. Sure, spa treatments etc were extra (as they should be) but you getting a massage did not affect my cruise experience.

Not to hijack the thread, but it's all about money (of course!). When I took my first cruise in 1985, I paid about $1500 for an inside cabin upper & lower berth on a 7-night cruise -- in fairness, airfare was included. That's $3300 in 2015 dollars. Yet, today, you can take the same cruise for $450 (w/o air). On the plus side, that makes cruising more affordable to lots of people. On the minus side, that differential has to come from somewhere, and quality of food is one area.

Some people are willing to pay more for better food, privacy, drinks, etc. and many of them head to luxury lines. To woo them (back), mainstream lines offer upscale amenties for a price. RCCL can't offer Crystal/Regent/Seabourne level quality to all passengers at the prices it charges. But it can offer some elements of luxury cruising to those who want them and are willing to pay extra. Better food at specialty restaurants is one of those added extras that some are willing to pay for. Even if no one did, not sure that would improve the quality of MDR food. It is what it is.

Edited by ggo85

We were on the Oasis in 2012 and 2014. We loved Chops, but I understand that the menu has now changed so I'm looking forward to comparing it when we sail on the Allure in November. We had horrible service and food in Giovanni's in 2014 so we will not be going back there in November. In 2012, we had decent food in the MDR but it was awful in 2014. This time, we are not planning to eat in the MDR at all because of the experience we had in 2014 with both food and service. However, it is important to note that food is very subjective. What I like, others may hate so the OP needs to find out for herself if those restaurants are good.

it's not just the food that's better, it's the atmosphere...small dining area w/open views of galley

How small is it? I dislike restaurants with open kitchens, the noise and view make me feel like I'm eating in the kitchen rather than a dining room. The only exception would be Japanese hibachi restaurants which are not the same thing.

How small is it? I dislike restaurants with open kitchens, the noise and view make me feel like I'm eating in the kitchen rather than a dining room. The only exception would be Japanese hibachi restaurants which are not the same thing.

Might be best for you to wait until you are onboard to book. That way you can scope out the restaurant and decide if it's acceptable.

First three times we went it was very good but the last time on Grandeur of the seas it was really bad. The steaks were tasteless and the onion ring side order was a joke. They were the little frozen rings with chopped onion in them like you buy in the grocery store nothing like the real onion rings I expected from a steakhouse. Really disappointed in the drop in quality.

We had dinner in chops grille twice on our recent cruise on anthem of the seas. The first night the service was excellent and the food very good - the second night the service very good and the food excellent! Both nights we felt the experience was well worth the upcharge - the filet mignon the second night was about the best I have ever had. Was disappointed there were no onion rings on the menu. The ambience in the restaurant was nice but lighting a bit too subdued. - some of our party had difficulty reading the menu until our eyes adjusted! We will definitely eat in chops again next year ( hopefully on harmony!)

Oasis in March we ate at Giovanni's twice as we liked it so much. We ate once inside with a group of eight and once outside just the two of us. It was outstanding! My brother ate at Chops and the food was good, but he felt for the price Giovanni's was much better.

The food in Chops and Giovanni's is very good. The steak in Chops is so much better than any you can get in the MDR. We always go to Chops at least once per cruise. Giovanni's is only if the mood strikes for us.

We are the total opposite , I thought chops was just ok, Giovanni's was way better and cheaper and service was better at least on our trips, we also liked Izumi and did that multiple times, you can also get a steak in Giovanni's if you want, there has been a bunch of post recently on Chops and they were not favorable.

Are those restaurants a lot better than the MDR? DH and I are cruising on our own for our 15th wedding anniversary and I'm happy to pay the up charge if the food/atmosphere is significantly better. Food is a big part of our vacation experience. We have never cruised RCL so we have nothing to go by.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes yes and yes.

We've dined at chops at least 6 times now across a handful of ships. Never had a bad experience. Service and food way beyond expectation. I've never understood the food complaints on the board. If they've ever made a bad steak at chops they haven't served it to me!

With all due respect, I stated earlier in this thread that my steak in Chops was awful, inedible. I'm glad you've always had a positive experience but not everyone has. :(

I'm sure it's possible that a meal doesn't work out as planned, but I tend to think some folks (not pointing fingers...just in general) have too high an expectation of what they will receive.

We also had a not so great steak at Chops and some pretty bad service on the Freedom. We have had really good steaks before so surprised. BUT, we had amazing filet in Giovanni's on the same cruise...so good, in fact we did it 3x. Every time you go your experience can vary with timing or service or just luck of the draw. When I buy steak at home, even though I buy it from the same place, the taste and quality can vary from day to day. We love the specialty restaurants and go at least 2x on each cruise. We would still go back to Chops and chalk up our last time to a "bad steak day" and expect a better one next time. We will definitely go back to Giovanni's many times.

I'm sure it's possible that a meal doesn't work out as planned, but I tend to think some folks (not pointing fingers...just in general) have too high an expectation of what they will receive.

You should have a high expectation when paying 35 or 40 per person, I understand not having high expectation of the MDR

We usually book specialty 3 nights per cruise. We have removed Chops from our list since they have indicated to us, no booze equals lesser service.

Maybe that had something to do with the service issues we had on our first (and last) visit to Chops, since my husband only has soda, and I tend to only have maybe one glass of wine if at all. We've had very mixed experiences on different ships in any specialty restaurant we've tried (Portofino, Giovanni's Table on 2 ships, and Chops). There were a few good dishes, but we most often had problems with the entrees, and sometimes desserts, although in my opinion, desserts are pretty weak in general on Royal.

For us, it is not worth it, specifically Chops. I would try Giovanni's Table again but avoid the entrees. After all the other food, an entrée isn't even necessary for me. GT is probably better for larger groups than for couples anyway. That was another issue we had regarding service: they seemed put off by it being only the two of us.

Edited by CntPAcruiser