RCCL VS Norwegian

Ok just wanted to get opinions on how RCCL and Norwegian compare to each other. We have only sailed RCCL and Celebrity and to be honest wasn't as impressed with Celebrity as I thought I would be so wanted some opinions of people that have sailed both. We are considering Norwegian in the in the future. I like the slides for our daughter so any imput would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have only sailed each once, so I don't have a whole lot of input, but here goes:

Norweigian Jewel wins on food places. Their specialty restaurants were cheaper (I didn't go to any, so I can't review the food), and they had Blue Lagoon, which was free and open 24 hours. Tons of choices or types of food. Royal just had pizza or sandwiches as extra food places. Also the room service pastries were sooo good on Norweigian. We got room service once on RCCL and it was barely edible. Soft serve ice cream on Norwegian was open until late hours in the buffet area. Only open until 6:30 at the pool area on Royal. What about when you want it for dessert after dinner???? Other than that, I think the MDR and buffet restaurants tied as far as taste. I liked them both. I did like that Norwegian had outside seating for the buffet, while Royal didn't, but that might have just been those specific ships.

RCCL wins on ship layout. The bar area on the Norweigian Jewel was one large area, whereas the Promenade on Freedom had different shops and bars. I really liked that everything was separated and it felt so large, hardly ever felt crowded.

I think entertainment equaled out. Enjoyed different things on both ships.

Can't comment on the room because we stayed in a mini suite on Norwegian (which was sooooo nice!), and an interior on Royal (off season on Norwegian and summer on Royal), so of course we liked the mini suite with the balcony better. But honestly, we weren't disappointed in the interior, we were really hardly in our rooms except to sleep. And my kids LOVED the bunk beds on Royal.

I wrote reviews on both cruises linked below.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I would jump at the chance to cruise Norwegian again if the timing, price, and port itinerary were right.

I wasn't as impressed with Celebrity as I thought I would be either.

I have been on the Freedom of the Seas and loved it!

I would love to try NCL as well. Believe it or not I am also interested in trying Carnival.

Here's a thought. After sailing with Celebrity, I thought the ship layout on the Freedom was so much better. The openness made it a lively atmosphere. Celebrity seems closed in, and cut up. More enclosed. If I am not making sense please disregard.

My point being is that NCL ships seem to be more enclosed, like Celebrity.

Just on ship layout alone, you may like Royal more.

With that being said, NCL seems to have a demographic which is similar to Royal. They are known for pretty good entertainment and food as well.

Either way, your on a boat. Your having a good problem.

Let us know what you decide.

I've been on 3 cruises with NCL, all out of Miami. My first cruise with RCI will be at the end of next month so I can't compare the 2 lines. However, that said, my wife and I really enjoy NCL. The ships were clean and the crew was very friendly and took good care of us. Neither of us are "foodies" but we both enjoyed the food quality and selection at both the buffet and the specialty restaurants. We both thought the entertainment was very good as well.

We are trying RCL because we will be on vacation in Venice and RCI Brilliance out of Tamp fit right into our schedule. I think you would enjoy NCL, happy cruising whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

RCI and NCL are similar. I wasn't too pleased with the dining setup on NCL Pearl. Had to get a beeper to wait to get into the "Main" dining room. Once there, the service was not very good. had to constantly flag someone down to get water glasses filled. The quality was not as good as RCI. I found their selection of "Specialty" restaurants to be better than on RCI, but found that the quality of food and service in the specialty restaurants to be more on the par with the MDR on RCI as opposed to the specialty restaurants on RCI.

The major drawback that I found on NCL was that their ships are not designed to hide the crowds very well. On every RCI and Celebrity cruise that we have taken we have never seen the crowds, with the exception of parades in the promenade on RCI. NCL always seemed to be crowded. some of their layout just didn't make too much sense to me.

As for Celebrity, We have only sailed in aqua class. That being said, we were overly impressed with the service all over the ship and the food quality in BLU, the dedicated dining room for aqua. We had gone to the MDR for lunches on sea days and found it on par with the MDR on RCI (but no tutti salad bar :( ). The specialty restaurants on X were FANTASTIC !

but, again, food is a very personal thing. I may hate something that another person would love and vice versa.

Happy Cruising

Steve

Cruise like a Norwegian! We loved the Suite life (and managed to snag a good deal in terms of pricing)

I let my videos do the talking.

Norwegian Jade 2 bedroom penthouse cabin which comes with your own speciality coffee machine.

[YOUTUBE]POIy0VzgXGw[/YOUTUBE]

Lunch at Cagney's - Suite perk

[YOUTUBE]jgLddY6LzvQ[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you everyone for your input! As a lot of you said you are on vacation on a boat how can you have a bad time! :) I think I would like to try it just to see how it compares. I appreciate the video's that was great. We aren't booked on anything until Jan 2016 at this time and plan to take our daughter for the first time who will be 4, but I am always looking at prices and looking for a deal so you just never know when the next cruise may come up! :)

My $0.02

They are very similar and you will enjoy either one. If assigned MDR dining is a important, sail Royal.

Here is a quick comparsion of how the two compare to my tastes, using RCI MTD for comparsion to freestyle.

Ship - Royal a bit more formal. NCL has a more colorful and casual vibe.

Cabins - Standard cabins are similar. We had robes on NCL (not a big thing to us, but DW did use hers. More important to some people.

MDR - Edge to Royal.

Buffet - Edge to NCL for variety and options.

24 hour dining options - NCL

Alternate dining - haven't tried all, but LeBistro easily beat Portofino

Service - Both good overall. One caveat - if you are on MTD on Royal and have the same table nightly, you will get the advantage of servers who become familiar with you.

Entertainment - Similar sized ships have similar entertainment. Good on both lines.

My $0.02

They are very similar and you will enjoy either one. If assigned MDR dining is a important, sail Royal.

Here is a quick comparsion of how the two compare to my tastes, using RCI MTD for comparsion to freestyle.

Ship - Royal a bit more formal. NCL has a more colorful and casual vibe.

Cabins - Standard cabins are similar. We had robes on NCL (not a big thing to us, but DW did use hers. More important to some people.

MDR - Edge to Royal.

Buffet - Edge to NCL for variety and options.

24 hour dining options - NCL

Alternate dining - haven't tried all, but LeBistro easily beat Portofino

Service - Both good overall. One caveat - if you are on MTD on Royal and have the same table nightly, you will get the advantage of servers who become familiar with you.

Entertainment - Similar sized ships have similar entertainment. Good on both lines.

I agree with you completely. We love both lines as they are very similiar - can't go wrong with either.

There is one thing that NCL does that did surprise us and is a nice perk.... In port they take out carpet, potted plants, tents, chairs and sofas onto the dock. They have a welcome back part right on the dock before you board the ship. There's music and dancing. They hand out cool towels, water and cookies. Very nice after a long hot day in port.

I have only cruised on each of them once.....Vision of the Seas to Alaska in 2006 (our first cruise) and then NCL Gem in June 2013. We have also taken five carnival cruises and loved them too. They definatly did extras on the Gem....coming back in from port they had frozen wash cloths, frozen grapes.....just little things. I remember the food being quite good on VOS and very good on the Gem.

I also like Carnival, tho I know many do not. We are a family of 7 so it is for sure more affordable and they have always been lovely to our kids.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I am always happy to get away and not have to do anything for a week!! Sometimes the food wasnt the best but I remind myself that they are feeding 2000 people:)

Take care,

Sandi

We have sailed with our kids on both lines.

We started Rccl after they got bored with Disney. After a few Rccl they wanted water slides and "something new" so we went on Epic NCL.

We have heard so much NCL bashing on Rccl my DH expectations were very low. We loved it. I think some people do not like make reservations for dinner and not knowing their wait staff. It stressed me out at first since I could not prebook the kids you have to book on ship. I took my list of when and where we wanted to eat and never ever had a issue getting in. Now we eat early so that might have helped.

We did Getaway last year and would recommend her hands down to anyone wanting to try NCL. My Kids were 10 and 12 they went crazy on the water slides and ropes course. The imaginarium was so cool and fun they still talk about it. I don't think it would be a great of ship for younger kids say 4 and 6. Since the slides are very tall and the ropes course/zip line is pretty big too.

They both have family friendly entertainment with great shows to enjoy.

Food choices are better on NCL. On RCCL we never felt like we should bring our kids into specialty restaurants. They are welcome and discounted on NCL. Something the kids enjoyed too. Now Quantum changes that but for the rest of the ships I think its only before 7 and the kids are full price unless they order off the kids menu.

Our next cruise is Quantum and then maybe Escape.....I love the new ship smell :-)

If you have any questions I can answer please just ask

On RCCL we stay in a Balcony room and make it work with the 4 of us.

For the same or less price on NCL we can stay in a minisuite. They are a bit bigger and have HUGE bathrooms (for a cruise ship) Defiantly a upgrade. Like double sinks and a shower big enough for 2 or tub in a Family Mini

There is one thing that NCL does that did surprise us and is a nice perk.... In port they take out carpet, potted plants, tents, chairs and sofas onto the dock. They have a welcome back part right on the dock before you board the ship. There's music and dancing. They hand out cool towels, water and cookies. Very nice after a long hot day in port.

Yes, that is a very nice touch!

Ok just wanted to get opinions on how RCCL and Norwegian compare to each other. We have only sailed RCCL and Celebrity and to be honest wasn't as impressed with Celebrity as I thought I would be so wanted some opinions of people that have sailed both. We are considering Norwegian in the in the future. I like the slides for our daughter so any imput would be appreciated! Thanks!

We've done many RCI cruises and 2 NCL cruises. You'll find the lines very similar. NCL has the my time dining concept down pat and their service is exceptional. They really stress service. Ships are clean and well cared for. NCL is a good line. Try them.