It's gonna happen, so let's suggest our own ideas...

cle-guy

Wow,

I so completly disagree with that you are proposing.....

Half of the reason I choose a suite are the special services the other levels CAN"T get....not because of snobbishness.....but because having them as part of a small venue they are done at a higher level of quality.

This by the way is why whe specialty restaurants work.....if iveryone went to them every night.....they would cook huge batches.....have to deal with more pax per server.....they would be ...the MDR....and while the MDR is not bad....I rather like many offerings it is not the same quality level that the specialties can offer.....just can't be done. they might offer 50 or so very exclusive packages for people that can't afford the full suite package but, want something special for an anniversary or the like.....anything more and quality will suffer

The cruise lines need to go full force with tiered pricing. Airlines are already doing it. Count me in as one of those who is tired of all the nickel-and-diming. I just want to pay one price and be done with it. I won't really do it with an airline as I just don't see the value in paying hundreds of dollars more for a 3-6 hour experience. But a 7-14 night cruise...yes, I will pay more to get more.

We are seeing it happening with Celebrity already in the high-end suite categories which now give all specialty restaurants, all alcohol, and unlimited internet so they appear to be moving in this direction already.

Maybe offer 3 tiers (regardless of category). Tier #1 would be essentially all-inclusive - all alcohol, all restaurants, all ala carte food items (gelato, etc.), all gratuities, one free excursion in every port, admission to all areas of the spa (maybe give one free treatment too to encourage people to buy more), free photo package, unlimited internet, etc. Tier #3 would be bare-bones - basically you would get your cabin, main dining room and buffet, main pool area and not much else. Then I'm sure they could come up with something in between.

By offering in all categories it would take away from the exclusive benefits that suites are now experiencing but maybe then prices could come down a bit on those cabins to be off-set by people paying for tier #1 in other categories. Then maybe suites can get a different group of benefits (transport to/from the ship, private club, reserved deck chair area, butler, etc.)

Customers want to have a choice. By being up-front with pricing like this it gives them that clear choice and allows them to create the cruise experience that's right for them.

I would like to see a coffee card and non-alcoholic frozen drink card where you can get 5 or 10 drinks (or a daily drink) during the cruise.

Perhaps the option of purchasing a packed picnic lunch with items allowed in port (beverages, packaged snacks/cookies, small containers of tuna or peanut butter and crackers, etc) for people going on excursions or to the beach

If the fee was reasonable for a half or full day, I think people would be willing to rent out covered loungers (clamshell design) by the pool.

Small hands-on cooking classes for a fee

Maybe offer group or private swimming lessons for a fee

Pay to have a message/picture on the outdoor movie screen or theater screen before the evening show (i.e. will you marry me or happy 50th anniversary) as long as it is does not interfere with the venue

Many people take taxis to the beaches at ports. Why don't the cruise lines have a kiosk in port to rent out a limited number of beach chairs and umbrellas?

Have an event for a fee where you can sample desserts from all the specialty restaurants.

I'm not opposed to printing luggage tags and documents. I have printed them when sailing with Princess. I actually prefer to do it that way because I can store them on my phone just in case I need another copy . When Princess started this program there was a big to do about it but most welcomed the change. My only fear about printing documents and luggage tags with Celebrity is that their website is a make shift, hit or miss system. They need to iron out the problems with that mess first.

I would do a cost analysis on the specialty restaurants. They never seem very full and they are often steeply discounted.

If they were more reasonably priced to begin with there would be no discounting and passengers would be more likely to book. Princess only charges $25 at the specialty restaurants and they are always full. It seems like Celebrity would rather offer a discount for a prepaid package booked on line which to me is ironic given their broken down website. If they actually had a working site they just might make money on upgraded drink packages, restaurants and excursions. I wish I had a dime for every thread that I have read full of complaints about not being able to book and prepay for extras.

I'm not a shareholder of RCI trying to find ways to make the cruiseline more profitable, that's for the cruiseline to worry about...

But things that might encourage us to spend more...

For those of us not on a drinks package reduce the price of some of your drinks - the price point on some drinks is very high for pretty average (and cheap) plonk and booze - doesn't encourage you to try. A small glass of wine at about $10 doesn't encourage you to try but a couple of dollars less and I might have several!

- Mini drinks packages for those that don't want the full package (i.e. 4 wines for 3, 5 beers for 4 etc)

- replace body lotion with shower gel

- Offer pillow upgrades (if available) for the cheaper cabins

- Offer some concierge facilities (for a fee) to non concierge rooms

- On our cruise the buffet in the evening seemed quiet - perhaps section some of it for table service (properly laid tables) of some sort at a small supplement.

- Looser slots - encourages people to play more - the more people play the more they lose! Tight machines aren't fun to play.

- option to rent a lounger on the deck for the cruise (fee 1 - anywhere) (fee - 2 - in your preferred location)

Edited by DYKWIA

"Improve" your loyalty scheme (this is how it is always marketed) by giving more to some (and less to others!). If half the ship has a Elite status then maybe you're making it too easy...

Is the Elite Status for life?

Most hotels and airline programs don't allow most of the customers to reach the higher status levels and stay there unless they really are regular customers who keep on spending lots of money. If I have one holiday a year for the next six or seven years that might make me someone they want to dangle a small carrot in front of to keep me sweet but do I really warrant Elite status?

When you do give free rewards they shouldn't impact on those who are prepared to spend money - taking bars or lounges out of action and making services unusable (because so many are getting it free)

Edited by DYKWIA

I think 800 is WAY too many....it would have to be a realatively small number....it would not be fair to the Suite and Zenith cruisers to dump 800 others into a service made to normally handle a much smaller group....the servise would suffer...and it would lose any special allure it may have had....and everyone would be unhappy.

Uhhh, I think the "800" Poster was kidding...and my original idea wasn't to glom the Suite and Zenith cruisers in with those who might be paying for some additional Embarkation Day perks. So, don't worry...even if my idea would be picked up, you wouldn't have to mix with us Great Unwashed. And, when I first posted my idea, I stated I'd be willing to pay $30-50 for the perk. I've rethought that...I'd cough up $75-100. If X capped it at 150-200 cruisers (the number I originally had in my head), it could be a pretty nice revenue enhancement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This isn't a thread about ripping us off - quite the opposite.

It's about what can change, so that fares can remain as is and not increasing dramatically, thus NOT ripping us off. As time goes on expenses increase, and fares must too to keep up, unless changes are implemented to offset the need for fare increases. Simple budget-balancing.

New rules for emissions are going to cost money. New rules about adding equipment to monitor men overboard will add capital costs.....these need paid for somehow....

I think the issue with what can change is based in what each one of us feels is important. Frankly, I could do without lobster but would never suggest it as a cost saving measure since many others love it.

Edited by Jeal

Not reducing fares when operational costs are cut significantly - i.e. when oil prices crash.

High-end specials at additional cost in the MDR (a lot of land based restaurants that offer a fixed price meal now do this) - e.g. offer a caviar course and Sirloin steak on the everyday menu (Fillet at +$x)

Restricting the ease at which people book and re book cruises as prices fluctuate. The airline model only allows certain classes of fare (generally the full fare) to be fully refundable. If someone is prepared to pay $3000 for a cruise - why make it easy for them to cancel and pay $2000 - you had them at $3000!

Edited by DYKWIA

I think 800 is WAY too many....it would have to be a realatively small number....it would not be fair to the Suite and Zenith cruisers to dump 800 others into a service made to normally handle a much smaller group....the servise would suffer...and it would lose any special allure it may have had....and everyone would be unhappy.

Uhhh, I think the "800" Poster was kidding...and my original idea wasn't to glom the Suite and Zenith cruisers in with those who might be paying for some additional Embarkation Day perks. So, don't worry...even if my idea would be picked up, you wouldn't have to mix with us Great Unwashed. And, when I first posted my idea, I stated I'd be willing to pay $30-50 for the perk. I've rethought that...I'd cough up $75-100. If X capped it at 150-200 cruisers (the number I originally had in my head), it could be a pretty nice revenue enhancement.

What kind of perks would these be and who would provide them? If it's a "one of" they would obviously have to take employees and resources from other areas that are already extremely busy on embarkation day.

Most of the ideas I see on this thread would probably cost more than they would increase revenue. It seems to me to be just another wish list thread.

I read somewhere that in some countries (not the UK) Celebrity allow that if you buy a "guaranteed category cabin" and don't like the one you're allocated you can ring up and change it. Not the case in the UK you get what you get. Allowing people to change takes the risk out of buying a cheaper guaranteed category cabin. Stop people changing cabins if they book a "guaranteed category cabin" you're getting the cheaper fare because you're accepting the risk. if they're nervous about getting the worst 2D cabin then they need to pay the extra to specify which cabin they want.

Unless someone REALLY is a CIP do not give away a free significant cabin upgrade if you can sell one on the day of the cruise.

Someone mentioned earlier on about how US airlines premium cabins are almost entirely full with non revenue frequent flyers , compare that with the highly profitable (and Premium) airlines such as Sinagpore Airlines which commands high fares, delivers high standards and makes it VERY diffcult to get something you aren't paying for (very limited frequent traveller availability in their premium cabins)

Edited by DYKWIA

Yes I was joking, hence the :rolleyes: at the end of my post ;).

It appears the British class system is fully working here, though.

Soon it will be different embarkation decks and times dependent on cabin reservations (oh, that's beginning to happen already :p), and more of the seapass police in action. 'No, sorry, you are unable to use this bathroom as you do not have the correct coloured/labelled/stickered seapass card!' - similar to airlines, only those in a certain class are permitted to use the toilet facilities past this curtain etc.; only plastic cutlery and trays in the MDR for those pax not on the enhancement package :D; only one piece of luggage is allowed per person, all additional bags will incur a fee per cabin. The list could go on and on if we are comparing to the airlines!

Edited by villauk

Not reducing fares when operational costs are cut significantly - i.e. when oil prices crash.

High-end specials at additional cost in the MDR (a lot of land based restaurants that offer a fixed price meal now do this) - e.g. offer a caviar course and Sirloin steak on the everyday menu (Fillet at +$x)

Restricting the ease at which people book and re book cruises as prices fluctuate. The airline model only allows certain classes of fare (generally the full fare) to be fully refundable. If someone is prepared to pay $3000 for a cruise - why make it easy for them to cancel and pay $2000 - you had them at $3000!

There's a difference in cruising and airline fares. People cruise strictly for recreation and there's a lot more involved than just getting from one place to another.

There's a reason they have specialty restaurants and they certainly don't need to diminish the quality of the food in the MDR and more than they have.

There's a reason they have specialty restaurants and they certainly don't need to diminish the quality of the food in the MDR and more than they have.

I wasn't advocating diminishing the MDR quality but adding to it. Not everyone wants the full Speciality Restaurant experience. Almost every review of the Tuscan Grille includes the words "so much food I was stuffed" :-) so the option to pay for stuff that doesn't feature on the MDR menu might be welcome

I wasn't advocating diminishing the MDR quality but adding to it. Not everyone wants the full Speciality Restaurant experience. Almost every review of the Tuscan Grille includes the words "so much food I was stuffed" :-) so the option to pay for stuff that doesn't feature on the MDR menu might be welcome

They already serve filet in the MDR, not every night but you can be sure if they start charging for it they will never serve it to the peons who don't pay extra.

These great ideas that everyone seems to be coming up with would completely defeat the concept of cruising. It's one thing to have a separate venue for those who can afford to use it and quite another to make it obvious who can afford what. It's not like everyone is sitting at a table for two. The great thing about cruising has been that the basic experience remains the same regardless of how much one pays for his cabin.

Edited by Ma Bell

There's a difference in cruising and airline fares. People cruise strictly for recreation and there's a lot more involved than just getting from one place to another.

Exactly, so we are we not coming up with ideas that reflect that. More of the private dance classes, or small group cookery classes - specific to particular areas, singing lessons, diving lessons (if qualified diving instructors are on board), photographer classes, make overs with professional photographs for groups etc. Activities that add to the enjoyment of the cruise, rather than taking away or resulting in 'classes' of the cruise experience. They wouldn't have to employ more staff, just utilise them in different ways. If these types of activities were available, I'm sure some would organise on their roll calls small 'groups' together, especially since the free activities on sea days have greatly diminished since the reduction in activity staff.

Edited by villauk

I think you will find that they will have hedged their fuel purchases for at least the next year at prices much higher than the current levels. That is why they won't reduce prices just now. They are using fuel purchased at least a year ago at a cost of around $110 a barrel. It doesn't stop the stock prices rising in anticipation of bigger profits at some time.

Gordon

What kind of perks would these be and who would provide them? If it's a "one of" they would obviously have to take employees and resources from other areas that are already extremely busy on embarkation day.

Most of the ideas I see on this thread would probably cost more than they would increase revenue. It seems to me to be just another wish list thread.

I think I could do a quick cost analysis and prove that X would come out ahead...but that wasn't the intent of CleGuy's topic nor mine. Can't any of us idea posters just have fun with a topic without having to defend our suggestions?

Exactly, so we are we not coming up with ideas that reflect that. More of the private dance classes, or small group cookery classes - specific to particular areas, singing lessons, diving lessons (if qualified diving instructors are on board), photographer classes, make overs with professional photographs for groups etc. Activities that add to the enjoyment of the cruise, rather than taking away or resulting in 'classes' of the cruise experience. They wouldn't have to employ more staff, just utilise them in different ways. If these types of activities were available, I'm sure some would organise on their roll calls small 'groups' together, especially since the free activities on sea days have greatly diminished since the reduction in activity staff.

villauk, I like your style! Hope to catch you on a sailing some day.

I don't know what this has to do with what I said about varying cruise fares as opposed to airline fares.

The activities staff on board now amounts to two people and a traveling person who usually comes aboard for TAs or cruises with lots of sea days. Unfortunately now they don't have people that they can use in other ways. They used to have a lot of these kinds of activities that were included in the fare and in order to offer them again they will definitely have to hire some people, especially if they are going to offer classes where the instructor needs to know something about the subject. If people are going to pay for activities they would expect the instructors to know their subject well.

They have already put a much heavier load on the employees and are using them in much different ways than in the past. I really don't see how they could possibly spread them around any more than they have already.

Many of the ideas here sound great as a concept but not so much as a practice. Charging separately for every single thing on a cruise ship is not really something that most people are going to like. It defeats the idea of a cruise.

I would hope that we don't have to try to come up with ideas for the cruise line to make any more cuts. They have had unprecedented profits in the recent short term because of the cuts they have made and the prices they have been getting but I'm hoping they will realize that there is only so far they can go and still make it attractive to their clientele. I think all the game playing with fares and promotions will come home to roost. They need to have some kind of an identity and a product that people can count on when they book their cruise.

Edited by Ma Bell

I love the idea of adding new activities even at a cost. I just got off the Summit and went to two trivia contests (just to watch, didn't participate) and was totally surprised that there were only 8 participants at one and 2 at another. Someone went to the one on the sea day and there were only 10 teams (ranging from 2 to 4 per team), so probably 30 passengers. Why is Celebrity wasting the time and effort of the Activity staff on something that draws so little passengers. To have a person conduct a game for 2 or 8 people (out of a ship that holds over 2,000 passengers) or even 30 is just plain ridiculous and a total waste of a person's time, when they could be conducting something that more would like, even if it is an activity that costs. Edited by NLH Arizona

I think I could do a quick cost analysis and prove that X would come out ahead...but that wasn't the intent of CleGuy's topic nor mine. Can't any of us idea posters just have fun with a topic without having to defend our suggestions?

I was under the impression that cle-guy wanted serious suggestions. There's no need to defend suggestions just as there's no reason that someone can't disagree that they may not work. If this was just supposed to be a "fun" topic, I must have missed that. I thought we were "discussing" options.

Edited by Ma Bell

I love the idea of adding new activities even at a cost. I just got off the Summit and went to two trivia contests (just to watch, didn't participate) and was totally surprised that there were only 8 participants at one and 2 at another. Someone went to the one on the sea day and there were only 10 teams (ranging from 2 to 4 per team), so probably 30 passengers. Why is Celebrity wasting the time and effort of the Activity staff on something that draws so little passengers. To have a person conduct a game for 2 or 8 people (out of a ship that holds over 2,000 passengers) or even 30 is just plain ridiculous and a total waste of a person's time, when they could be conducting something that more would like, even if it is an activity that costs.

From what you say these trivias were on port days. No matter what the activity there wouldn't be many people there on a port day. They are provided for people who are unable or uninterested in getting off the ship and don't take a lot of time, effort or specialized knowledge. On my last cruise the Sky Lounge was completely packed for trivia on sea days with nowhere for anyone else to sit. There were at least a couple of hundred people. They also had free dance classes every day at sea.

There are lots of variables as to how many people attend things, itinerary and weather to be a couple. On a cruise with one sea day, it's not likely they would have a large turn out, especially of it's a great pool day.

I've attended some of the pay for cooking classes that only attracted 6 people. I have never seen any kind of "pay for" activity that attracts a large group. What are your suggestions for something that would attract a large group of people?

Edited by Ma Bell

I was under the impression that cle-guy wanted serious suggestions. There's no need to defend suggestions just as there's no reason that someone can't disagree that they may not work. If this was just supposed to be a "fun" topic, I must have missed that. I thought we were "discussing" options.

You didn't just disagree with my suggestion...you asked questions that did try to put me in a defensive posture. And, I didn't state that cle-guy's topic intent was to be "fun"...I was simply pointing out that I and others should be able to have "fun" with it. I don't read or participate in any forum to be belittled, start an argument or figure out if my thoughts and suggestions may be "serious" enough for posting. Please back off.