Proving Veteran Status

When I booked my cruise I got a discount for being a Veteran. They told me to bring proof when I embarked. I was planning on bring my DD214 but I recently learned that my state issues veteran ID cards through the DMV. Basically, I take all my documents to the DMV and they issue a card verifying my veteran status.

Has anyone ever used a similar card issued by their state as their proof of military service? I'm going to call Royal to get a definitive answer but I'm interested in personal experiences.

Also, even though I plan on bringing the DD214 if I find the id card from the state isn't acceptable I was wondering if they really do check for the proof?

The other times I've gotten a military discount is when I was on Carnival, and I just emailed my DD214 within days of the booking and it remains on file. Bringing proof to the port is new to me.

I have never been asked but my retired military id is always in my wallet so if they do ask I have it on me anyway. You have a DDForm214 so just take that and that is acceptable if they ask. You only need to take a copy and not the original. :cool:

I have never been asked but my retired military id is always in my wallet so if they do ask I have it on me anyway. You have a DDForm214 so just take that and that is acceptable if they ask. You only need to take a copy and not the original. :cool:

I think you hit a key point there, I also hear 2nd hand from a vet I talked to on board, he brought a copy. I would assume if the name on the copy matches what the rep sees on a reservation should make them happy.

We have sailed a few times on Royal using the veteran's discount but have never showed any proof at the checkin desk. I always carry a copy of my DD-214, My Marine Corp discharge , in my carryon, as I forget sometimes what discount we booked, ( isn't getting old terrible ! ). I have even had a checkin agent say to me, I don't need to see anything, as what you booked is up to Royal Caribbean. Have a great cruise. Bob, The Villages , Florida

A long time ago, there was a thread on this topic where the consensus was that the RCI's requirements say "DD 214" and not a copy of that document so a copy may not fit the bill.

About that time we had a military discount on a cruise so I took my original [which is just a carbon manifold -- no seal or anything]. I am also a retired reservist so I have my ID, however as I am not yet 60, I do not yet have an official retired ID, so my ID does not match the specific requirements of the website. As others above have said, I have never actually been asked for anything -- but there is always a first time.

Anyway, when this topic comes up, I try to post the following link:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

This is the link to the National Archives site where you can get a certified copy of your DD 214 -- for free. I tried mainly just to see if it worked -- and it did. With reasonable promptness, I received two copies of my DD 214 each stamped with a raised seal. I encourage anyone who may have a need to prove prior military service to use this source. It's free, its certified, and [for those who are paranoid about such things] you never have to risk you official original.

Edited by mjldvlks

The ID cards are state specific. Not all states offer them. For me, and me only, I'd be a little worried that the RCCL employee checking these things at the pier wouldn't recognize the state issued card for what it is. Has anyone actually used a card and had success?

The state issued card for Florida is just your regular drivers license and they put a V for veteran on it. I have used the Veterans discount as well as members of my traveling party countless times and to date RCCL has never requested a copy of my DD214. As for Carnival and Princess.....they have you email a copy directly to them prior to boarding. FYI...Princess gives a veterans OBC every cruise which is very nice gesture IMO.

We have sailed a few times on Royal using the veteran's discount but have never showed any proof at the checkin desk. I always carry a copy of my DD-214, My Marine Corp discharge , in my carryon, as I forget sometimes what discount we booked, ( isn't getting old terrible ! ). I have even had a checkin agent say to me, I don't need to see anything, as what you booked is up to Royal Caribbean. Have a great cruise. Bob, The Villages , Florida

I suspect this is the approach that most of the check-in agents take - if you booked with RCI and got the military discount at booking time, that's good enough for them. FYI, in AZ they print the full word "Veteran" on drivers' licenses and in order to get that designation, you have to give a copy of your DD214 to the MVD.

Edited by joepeka

The RCI website says the following regarding documentation:

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:

Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed RED (Reserve retired personnel) or BLUE (Active Duty retired personnel) Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess a green NDI-75 card (retired personnel). All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

Unfortunately, state issued IDs and/or VA cards are not listed. I am always fearful of the overzealous/officious agent at the dock insisting on strict compliance with the above requirements, so I always have my DD 214. No real reason not to -- it is easy to obtain a certified copy through the website linked above and it is reasonably quick. They claim they are responding to requests for separation docs within 10 days about 92% of the time [older docs or those that may have been involved in the St Louis fire may take longer due to additional research or reconstruction required]. My memory is I had mine in hand within 2-3 weeks of the request.

I think the reason that they list the DD214 is that most states that print the veteran designation on DL's do not specify a minimum time of service, whereas RC states 2 years of service or 6 months in a war zone. I have the Veteran designation on my license but as I got out early to take care of a sick parent I do not qualify for the veterans discount. Luckily DH does! Either way, we will bring his with us and if they don't ask, we won't complain!

When I booked my cruise I got a discount for being a Veteran. They told me to bring proof when I embarked. I was planning on bring my DD214 but I recently learned that my state issues veteran ID cards through the DMV. Basically, I take all my documents to the DMV and they issue a card verifying my veteran status.

Has anyone ever used a similar card issued by their state as their proof of military service? I'm going to call Royal to get a definitive answer but I'm interested in personal experiences.

Also, even though I plan on bringing the DD214 if I find the id card from the state isn't acceptable I was wondering if they really do check for the proof?

The other times I've gotten a military discount is when I was on Carnival, and I just emailed my DD214 within days of the booking and it remains on file. Bringing proof to the port is new to me.

This is something new to me. Is this for anybody who has served in the military or is it for retired military? My husband has his discharge papers as well as the state ID card. I'd appreciate a response as we already booked.

Please call Royal Caribbean and ask them what the proper ID is.

I just booked with a military discount(and have done so many times in the past) and was told there was a new procedure. You must have a NOTARIZED copy of the DD214. We have never been asked to produce the DD214, but I was told it was a new policy.

What is posted on the website may not have caught up with the new policy, or the rep I booked with could have been mistaken.

It would be best if you call and see what proof is required. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

This is something new to me. Is this for anybody who has served in the military or is it for retired military? My husband has his discharge papers as well as the state ID card. I'd appreciate a response as we already booked.

Check out the information posted on an earlier thread about who is eligible. Note that this discount is only offered on a small percentage of cruises with RC. Other lines, I believe, either offer it on all cruises or many.

The RCI website says the following regarding documentation:

Unfortunately, state issued IDs and/or VA cards are not listed. I am always fearful of the overzealous/officious agent at the dock insisting on strict compliance with the above requirements, so I always have my DD 214.

There are a lot of steps that take place prior to not allowing an individual to board or to do a spot rate change. Your fear of a new or overzealous agent interfering are unfounded.

Please call Royal Caribbean and ask them what the proper ID is.

I just booked with a military discount(and have done so many times in the past) and was told there was a new procedure. You must have a NOTARIZED copy of the DD214. We have never been asked to produce the DD214, but I was told it was a new policy.

What is posted on the website may not have caught up with the new policy, or the rep I booked with could have been mistaken.

It would be best if you call and see what proof is required. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

What does notarized copy mean, there is nowhere on my nearly 50 yo dd214 to sign in front of a notary. Is there a form now? Just used the discount last month, did not need anything notarized

Edited by setsail

If he was in for at least two years, then he qualifies for the discount, if it is offered on your sailing.

What does notarized copy mean, there is nowhere on my nearly 50 yo dd214 to sign in front of a notary. Is there a form now? Just used the discount last month, did not need anything notarized

It means that somebody doesn't know what they're talking about. What they should really be asking for is a certified copy, but I don't think you can get one of those, either.

I wish that RCI's computer system could do what Princess' does - DH sent in a copy of his retired military ID (with sensitive information redacted) and it is a permanent part of his Captain's Circle record. Princess offers OBC on pretty much every sailing, and it is applied automatically. RCI can't even remember my online check in information from one sailing to the next.:(

. . . It means that somebody doesn't know what they're talking about. What they should really be asking for is a certified copy, but I don't think you can get one of those, either. . .

Actually you can -- see my posts above. I know it works from personal experience.

Rolloman -- even if it only avoiding some of those "steps," I'd rather have what they are expecting and board more quickly. It is so easy, there is really no reason not to.

This is for Veteran, but not necessarily retired.

But see the rules.

The military discount is not offered all the time, and certainly not on all the cabins.

Certified copies of DD214s are relatively easy to get. There is no such thing as a "notorized" copy. That was probably guidance from someone who just doesn't know the proper terminology.

The worst that can happen if you don't have your DD214 at the pier is, they can charge you the difference between your discount and the regular room rate. However, I have never heard of that happening.

For the retirees, that one's simple. Just carry your military ID.

Edited by Aquahound