comparison by experience

Ritabob

Every time I think I may have found the right fit I see something else and it's back to square 1 (or maybe square 2) :D Have been pouring over Youtube and discovered the Avalon Panorama suites with the huge windows. Anyone have experience with those? Wondering if they are really worth the money. I know I definitely want a viewable window in my cabin and not one where I must stand on the bed to see out. :)

Yes, and we've written reviews of them as well. Have you looked in the Member Review section here at Cruise Critic? (in addition to the information in this forum)? No one can tell you if something is "worth" your money. I can only say that this type of cabin (likewise a balcony on an ocean cruise) is a personal requirement for me as I *do* spend a fair bit of time in my cabin....

I found our Panorama Suite on Avalon Vista to be fabulous. We LOVED the way we didn't lose any cabin space but could easily open our window wall to be outside as we sat at our table over drinks....(granted, we were on Christmas Market cruise, so we didn't open the window as often as someone on a summer cruise might - but we did it more than probably anyone else on our cruise, and we were also up on deck and rarely saw anyone other than crew or the occasional smoker up there (we were there for scenery; we don't smoke).

Edited by Hoyaheel

We have been on 20 river cruises with many of the main cruise lines. Our first was Honfleur-Paris--a lovely 7 days with no sailing at nite. It was with Uniworld and we did sail with them 6 times and thoroughly enjoyed each one. We sailed with Viking 4 times--our first the Elbe--really good, 2 more not so and then China which was wonderful. We have sailed with Cruise West, Vantage, Avalon, CGT, GAdventures. Also sailed with CroisEurope. Currently we favor AMAwaterways--just finished our third with them. Each time we look for a cruise, we pick itinerary, then time of year and the lines offering what we want. Have no desire to sail with Viking again--don't like cabin configuration and number of pax on the longships. The all-inclusive lines came along well into our cruising history. We prefer an international mix of pax, really good food and good tour guides. We are truly blessed to have such a variety of lines from which to choose.

Any suggestions for a first time itinerary?

I suggest Amsterdam to Basel, with extension to Lucerne and Zurich. The river cruise is 7 days and includes a daytime sailing through the Rhine Gorge with dozens of beautiful castles. All the stops are quaint, and you are exposed to four countries (Holland, Germany, France-Alsace, and Switzerland). Also the Rhine doesn't seem to suffer the high- and low-water problems that cause disruptions on the Rhine, the Rhone, in Bordeaux, and on the Elbe. Some people suggest choosing the direction of the river's flow (which would be Basel to Amsterdam), but on this cruise I think it's more interesting to end in Switzerland. On our AMA cruise almost all the passengers stayed for the post-cruise extension, so we were able to continue to share these days with our new friends from the cruise (and our Cruise Director also stayed with us which was great for continuity too).

most seem to start with variation of above rec.by Host Jazz.Like to see pretty scenery,small towns,and castles,etc.

Other great ones(we loved)were Paris to Nice....Portugal...sadly Egypt(now security risk),Russia(same,,ex.for boat(old Viking one).Would save East.Europe till little later.After Budpest (to Bucharest)more industrial and not as scenic.But loaded with history.A trade off.

Read member reviews,look at ports section,get guidebooks,watch you tube.Lot s of info.Then find one and TRY it.

River cruising is a lot different than ocean.See if its for YOU.Good luck.

Ouch! RE: Viking. Paying up front.

Thanks. Thats something to seriously consider. What if one has to cancel the cruise? Refunds?:eek:

I think others with Viking experience can speak to this whole issue. But I booked my River cruise over a 18 months out and can't imagine needing to paying at that time!

On the flip side, it's not like you can earn any measurable amount of interest on that money ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think others with Viking experience can speak to this whole issue. But I booked my River cruise over a 18 months out and can't imagine needing to paying at that time!

On the flip side, it's not like you can earn any measurable amount of interest on that money ;)

You're right JVille Gal, we've taken 6 trips with Vantage and NEVER pay the balance until the last possible date.

As to the flip side: it may not be a measurable about of interest, but it's MY money and I don't like giving it away!!:D

Friends booked with Viking and asked for some extra time before paying in full... Viking agreed. However - this request came back to bite them big time. Our dollar was pretty much on par when they booked - and now we are looking at CDN $ = US $0.80... OUCH!!!:eek:

Friends booked with Viking and asked for some extra time before paying in full... Viking agreed. However - this request came back to bite them big time. Our dollar was pretty much on par when they booked - and now we are looking at CDN $ = US $0.80... OUCH!!!:eek:

Yes, double ouch! In fact I read an economic prognosticator saying that the Canadian dollar could be down in the 70's in a year or two. Makes me wonder about my not paying upfront for our Uniworld fall Nile cruise--there was a savings of $500 to pay up front and I decided not to. Let alone for our Tauck trip, which is still 20 months out...

I've had good luck speculating on my travel costs with the USD in the past, but not now!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Yes, double ouch! In fact I read an economic prognosticator saying that the Canadian dollar could be down in the 70's in a year or two. Makes me wonder about my not paying upfront for our Uniworld fall Nile cruise--there was a savings of $500 to pay up front and I decided not to. Let alone for our Tauck trip, which is still 20 months out...

I've had good luck speculating on my travel costs with the USD in the past, but not now!

The lower dollar can play into your decision of who to travel with. Scenic quotes everything in CDN $$ --> so no surprises there. And Uniworld has, on occasion, sent me a CDN brochure - with everything in CDN $$.

Right now, Viking has a promo for Canadians - in that they will give you 10% off on some cruise fares - to offset our lower dollar. It did help a bit when I put the deposit down on our cruise to China this fall.

Fran

Edited by franski