Curious about pricing: Verandah & Concierge cheaper than Aqua

renaroo

This question is purely out of curiosity.

I have a cruise to Alaska booked for this summer. On this particular sailing, the verandah cabin is $620 more (for 2 people) than the aqua class and the concierge class is $1320 more than aqua.

From every other sailing (as far as I can see), aqua costs more. Why would some cruisers choose a verandah or concierge class cabin if the prices are higher?

This question is purely out of curiosity.

I have a cruise to Alaska booked for this summer. On this particular sailing, the verandah cabin is $620 more (for 2 people) than the aqua class and the concierge class is $1320 more than aqua.

From every other sailing (as far as I can see), aqua costs more. Why would some cruisers choose a verandah or concierge class cabin if the prices are higher?

everyone has their own set of values. Some don't like Blu, some don't like the location of the aqua cabins. Personally, I'd pay a bit extra for aqua so if it's less than or equal to a C2, I'd jump on it....and don't forget that if you are a member of the captain's club, you can book an A1 at the current A2 price as well if you request it at time of booking.

everyone has their own set of values. Some don't like Blu, some don't like the location of the aqua cabins. Personally, I'd pay a bit extra for aqua so if it's less than or equal to a C2, I'd jump on it....and don't forget that if you are a member of the captain's club, you can book an A1 at the current A2 price as well if you request it at time of booking.

This is my first Celebrity cruise (Yay! Can't wait to see what this line is all about!), so not a member of the Captain's club yet. Which category is preferable? On the cruise I booked, the A1 category is less expensive than the A2 category, so that's what I booked. Didn't seem like there was a difference to me. Deck 9, Deck 11 - basically the same thing, right?

Our 1st time booking Aqua class was on a Alaska cruise on Solstice. Aqua class was cheaper then Concierge class. People say they dont like the A1 cabins because of the pool and moving of the chairs above. I have never had a problem with noise. I do like the extra overhang for Alaska weather.

This is my first Celebrity cruise (Yay! Can't wait to see what this line is all about!), so not a member of the Captain's club yet. Which category is preferable? On the cruise I booked, the A1 category is less expensive than the A2 category, so that's what I booked. Didn't seem like there was a difference to me. Deck 9, Deck 11 - basically the same thing, right?

The prices fluctuate with supply and demand, so depending upon available inventory sometimes one category is more expensive and sometimes another.

It looks like you are talking about the M-class ships.

The balconies of the newer aqua cabins on deck 11 have very little covering, so sun lovers prefer them.

The balconies of the aqua cabins on deck 9 have a large overhang, so passengers who want shade prefer those.

There are 5 rear facing cabins on the back of deck 11 that have their own pros and cons, which some passengers like and others don't.

I agree - most of it is inventory. The other big factor (which does affect inventory) is location. It could be that only prime location balconies are left - or conversely that less desirable AQ or CC are left.

Let us know which ship you are looking at (M vs S class) and we can provide some additional advice.

The pool, fitness center , buffet and spa are on Deck 10 so on deck 9 they will be above you. Depending upon what is directly above your cabin there could be noise. The salon part of the spa- no noise, under the buffet there could be noise from carts, chairs, etc. some report a thumping noise from the treadmills in the fitness center.

We had a cabin once below the pool area, every morning we were awakened at 6 when they put out the deck chairs.

On the S class ships..the gym..pool are on deck 12.....so many of the Aqua cabins up front can be a bit load....so says the spreadsheet reviews

http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-silhouette#Deck_Plans/ships/celebrity-silhouette/deck-plans

Thats why we book Aqua back aft....We actually picked 1 cruise over another based on where we could get our Aqua A2 cabin..back aft.....the other only had a few fwd cabins left.....yes 1 could wait and see if 1 back aft came open and changed, but who needs that stress,lol

I agree - most of it is inventory. The other big factor (which does affect inventory) is location. It could be that only prime location balconies are left - or conversely that less desirable AQ or CC are left.

Let us know which ship you are looking at (M vs S class) and we can provide some additional advice.

Lots of good input. Thanks to all for helping me satisfy my curiosity. I'm sailing on the Milennium (M class). Our cabin is aft. Our Celebrity planner said it should be quiet and on a good side for viewing Alaska.

Lots of good input. Thanks to all for helping me satisfy my curiosity. I'm sailing on the Milennium (M class). Our cabin is aft. Our Celebrity planner said it should be quiet and on a good side for viewing Alaska.

If you are on 9 on an M class ship, I recommend being in cabin 9108 or higher which are under a carpeted area of the buffet and therefore very quiet.

Deck 11 was added a couple of years ago and is extremely quiet with the further benefit that no one uses those hallways except those on 11 so you don't have folks yelling in the halls outside your door. The balconies on 9 are fully covered by large overhangs so there is almost never any sun on the balcony. The overhangs on deck 11 are much smaller and have the opposite issue in that there may not be any shade on your balcony. If you can swing one of the rear facing deck 11 cabins, you can have the best of both worlds..and much larger balconies on the center 3 cabins.

Hope this helps...we've been in A2's and rear facing A1's on the m-class ships so I speak from some experience :)

One big reason that AQ may be cheaper on a peak time Alaska cruise hasn't been mentioned. AQ cabins only allow 2 people booked in a cabin. On a summer cruise to Alaska, there are more families who may want to book 3 or 4 in cabins. As cabin availabilities fluctuate, so do prices.

We have sailed AQ on an M class ship on deck 9 and not had much noise issue. We appreciated the larger cabin (same size as concierge) and the benefits of Blu and Persian Gardens. The overhang can come in handy if you get rain since it gives plenty of protection. We sat outside during some fairly heavy rains.

I don't suppose someone would give us a pointer to the cruise where the cheap A cabins are showing.....I'm getting interested.

Can't say I blame you, there! The cabins are "cheap" for a summer cruise. I can only sail during the summer months, so I'm pleased with the price. I'm booked on the June 19th 11-day cruisetour, #3A. Oddly enough, the 7-day cruise portion (same cruise minus the additional land days) is only $60 pp less than the 11-day. I didn't use a TA, just went right to the website.

Edited by renaroo

I don't suppose someone would give us a pointer to the cruise where the cheap A cabins are showing.....I'm getting interested.
I don't think people are claiming that they are "cheap" but only that they are sometimes "cheaper" (i.e., lower priced). ;)

An example where aqua cabins are priced below concierge:

Equinox for March 27, 2015 is currently showing

C2 - 2749

C1 - 2799

A2 - 2399

A1 - 2549

Also interestingly for March 4, 2016 I noticed that C2 and A2 are the same at 1999

while C1 is 2199 and A1 is 2149.

Edited by fleckle

I have seen this pricing many time on Celebrity and Princess. They jack up the price of the lower categories to encourage sales for higher categories that aren't selling. I have seen ocean views priced higher than verandas, interiors priced higher than ocean views. On Princess they like to advertise book a balcony for the price of an ocean view. The ocean views are usually carry a price so high that nobody in their right mind would ever book that category.

It could also be that the price is a rate or code that excludes any of the perks. A few years ago I booked a AQ1 Bermuda cruise for $849 pp total including taxes and etc at a senior rate. Because of the price rate it didn't include any perks. The same cat was available for $1449 and included the drink pack. I didn't feel the drink pack was worth the extra $600 pp for a 7 day cruise.

Happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Fleckle,

Please clarify your statement about the deck 11 Aqua cabins. The five aft cabins do have extended covers. The balconies graduate toward 1140 - the center cabin and the overhang is deep enough to remain dry in most rain conditions.

We have stayed in 1138 so I feel better able to describe their balcony structure.