Travel Insurance: Travel Guard or Princess Platinum?

KruzeKrazy!

We're going on a French Polynesia cruise which, of course, is fairly expensive especially when considering travel costs, etc.

We're both in our late 50s and pretty healthy so our greater concern is cancellation reimbursment, etc. or some emergency rather than known medical issues.

What are everyone's pros and cons comparing Travel Guard versus Princess Platinum?

We've never bought travel insurance for any prior cruises but think this one may be the time to start.

Thanks!

Our first 5 cruises we did not purchase insurance. The next year we were looking at cruising, but decided we needed to wait a little longer to make sure that my dad had recovered from his surgery. A month later my colon unexpectantly twisted shut and I needed emergency surgery. Right about the time we normally would have been cruising. Thankfully, we hadn't booked anyting. Oh, I was 49 and the picture of health, a fitness instructor teaching 12 classes a week. So, you never know.

So, the next year we purchased Travel Guard and said we would never cruise without it again. Unfortunately, my brother passed away and we had to cancel our cruise and reschedule for a later time. We had absolutely no issues with Travel Guard. None.

One nice thing about Princess Platinum, for those Ruby and above, is that it provides 100% cancel-for-any-reason insurance (payed out in the form of credit for a future cruise) at no extra charge, something I believe TG charges a hefty sum for. Another is that it doesn't get more expensive as you get older.

But as has been stated, independently booked airfare's not covered.

For people over 50: dh and I are 59 and 61---

take the cruise insurance. But, become an AARP member, purchase membership in MedJet. Here is my rationale---

Until a few years ago, I always used travelguard gold. I purchased this immediately after putting down deposit for cruise. It was important that no loopholes were left unturned--regarding pre existing conditions. We have never cancelled a cruise or vacation yet. Our parents are in late 80's early 90's. Other than myself being diabetic, we are perfectly healthy. Travelguard and the similar travel insurance gets extremely expensive as one becomes older. If any of your prescribed medications have any changes within 3 months of your trip, all the insurance companies will try to make use of that info to deny any claim.

Normally, it is advised to not purchase insurance through your cruiseline. But for older persons, I feel it is the way to go. Here's why:

Cost is reasonable for what it covers. If your claim is denied for cancelation, most of the cruisline insurance will refund 75% of the fare in terms of a future vouture. If gd forbid we had to cancel a cruise that we were certainly looking forward to-- we can accept the 25% far loss, and immediately rebook to salvage money spent. The biggest expense for having to leave a cruise, is to have to be med/jetted to a suitable hospital. Medjet membership covers this quite well-- If you are a member of AARP, well discounted.

Get the insurance, either through Princess or a 3rd party,

I'm was 38 at the time, my wife was a few years difference, we were taking my parents with us on a crusie, out of the blue , 2 weeks before the cruise, my dad gets deathly ill, we all had to cancel and I had to rush home to help my mom with my dad. He pulled through and the only thing I was out was the $300 for insurance for everyone involved. It was so worth it. I always buy the insurance, it's cheap peace of mind, unless you can afford losing money.

Insurance is so confusing. I have been going with what my ta suggests. The past five years we have insured through the insurance his company sells. When I took care of trips myself, I always used Travel guard and had a few minor claims with them - no issues.

Last week my wife asked if we insure through the cruise line and I asked why she asked. She just saw something on the news that said Do Not use the insurance through the cruise line. So, would your ta's insurance be considered an insurance company that you also don't want to use?

I ask so many questions of my ta and I know we discussed insurance a few years ago. I believe it is Leisure Care - had a claim last year and it was Berkeley. Isn't that what Princess uses?

Sometimes I wonder if I have too much insurance. We just turned 65 last year so I purchased a secondary policy for both of us with foreign travel included. Filing a claim last year was kind of a pain (I saw the ship's doc) since I had to file with Medicare first even though everyone knows they won't cover anything, then my secondary, my drug plan insurance and finally Berkley. It took so long that I almost gave up. I also have DAN dive insurance. I have insurance with my AMEX platinum card but I think that is just the travel part not medical. I am wondering if I should get a Medjet policy since I have several long cruises coming up.

I just looked up Insuremytrip that LEW suggested. Travel guard was listed but not Berkeley.

The other issue I find is the pre existing clause. I had a health issue a couple years ago so I should purchase that insurance but you need to purchase it when you book the cruise. Many times I have six cruises on hold with FCC's that I book as soon as they are released and I don't want that much money tied up.

It is enough to make my head spin!!!

I've used Travel Guard many times. They are rated very well. Had one claim, gold earrings I purchased on the ship and promptly lost one within the hour. No problem getting a fast refund.

Princess insurance only covers the cruise ship portion unless you book air through them. For this reason, I purchase independent insurance.

Are there any requirments or restrictions as to when you can or cannot purchase travel insurance? For example: must buy at time of booking, before final payment, can still buy after final payment, etc., etc.?

Policies vary in terms from carrier to carrier, and sometimes from policy type to policy type with a given carrier (ie: Travel Guard Gold vs. Silver). Websites such as -Lew- mentioned http://www.insuremytrip.com can give you a better idea. One important "heads up"--some require purchase within so many days of cruise deposit if you want pre-existing coverage.

Another important thing to check for is whether coverage is primary (they pay first, with only one claim to file), or secondary (they pay after you have filed with any other carriers you have and been denied or only partially covered).

I'll second Jetswdo who recommended MedJet Assist if you are traveling any distance at all from home, especially outside the US. This is in addition to having a medical/cancellation policy. It covers only medically-assisted travel from an out-of-town hospital to one near your home, not for evacuation from your ship to the nearest hospital.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

We use travel guard insurance because it can be purchased to cover your whole trip, not just the cruise. If you do pre or post cruise land tours, or b2b cruises on two different cruise lines, you can get the whole shebang covered

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're going on a French Polynesia cruise which, of course, is fairly expensive especially when considering travel costs, etc.

We're both in our late 50s and pretty healthy so our greater concern is cancellation reimbursment, etc. or some emergency rather than known medical issues.

What are everyone's pros and cons comparing Travel Guard versus Princess Platinum?

We've never bought travel insurance for any prior cruises but think this one may be the time to start.

Thanks!

My wife and I are healthy and for many years have always bought travel insurance whenever we are out of the US. Never needed to use it and always thought it was a waste of money until last year when I had a freak slip and fall accident out of country and broke my elbow. We were on a 30 day plus cruise and the cruise ship insurance more then made up for all of the previous times and costs when we had bought it. It is godsend when you have to use it.

I agree Travel Guard cover all aspects of your trip while if you have certain status on Princess you get an incentive to purchase from Princess. For us it is do not leave country without some kind of comprehensive travel insurance. You will be happy you did if you ever need it!

For people over 50: dh and I are 59 and 61---

take the cruise insurance. But, become an AARP member, purchase membership in MedJet. Here is my rationale---

Until a few years ago, I always used travelguard gold. I purchased this immediately after putting down deposit for cruise. It was important that no loopholes were left unturned--regarding pre existing conditions. We have never cancelled a cruise or vacation yet. Our parents are in late 80's early 90's. Other than myself being diabetic, we are perfectly healthy. Travelguard and the similar travel insurance gets extremely expensive as one becomes older. If any of your prescribed medications have any changes within 3 months of your trip, all the insurance companies will try to make use of that info to deny any claim.

Normally, it is advised to not purchase insurance through your cruiseline. But for older persons, I feel it is the way to go. Here's why:

Cost is reasonable for what it covers. If your claim is denied for cancelation, most of the cruisline insurance will refund 75% of the fare in terms of a future vouture. If gd forbid we had to cancel a cruise that we were certainly looking forward to-- we can accept the 25% far loss, and immediately rebook to salvage money spent. The biggest expense for having to leave a cruise, is to have to be med/jetted to a suitable hospital. Medjet membership covers this quite well-- If you are a member of AARP, well discounted.

I read an article about a man on a cruise in Russia who had not purchased travel insurance, and when he had an unexpected medical emergency in Russia, it cost him $100,000 for medical transportation back to the U.S. He now believes strongly in MedJet because medical transportation can be the most expensive part of an emergency while traveling. Princess will cover up to $50,000 for medical transportation, which is probably enough for most circumstances, but with Medjet insurance costing $270 a year, it's something to consider. Here's the Medjet website:

http://medjetassist.com/

and a discussion of their benefits:

http://medjetassist.com/defaultmembership/membershipbenefits.aspx

They have short term travel protection, too:

http://medjetassist.com/defaultmembership/shorttermdetails.aspx

Edited by Mackenzie1

We have a Chase United card and recently got a booklet explaining various benefits of the card. One is Primary insurance for trip cancellation. Coverage seems fine to me - am I missing something ?

BTW we purchase Princess insurance a few years back and had to cancel due to medical emergency - everything was refunded.

We have a Chase United card and recently got a booklet explaining various benefits of the card. One is Primary insurance for trip cancellation. Coverage seems fine to me - am I missing something ?...

Check to see if it covers cancelling for any reason (such as a pet becoming ill or simply changing your mind), or if it covers only for medical reasons or death of immediate family member.

Also check to see if is 100% coverage, or if it is less than 100% or has a high deductible.

We have a Chase United card and recently got a booklet explaining various benefits of the card. One is Primary insurance for trip cancellation. Coverage seems fine to me - am I missing something ?

BTW we purchase Princess insurance a few years back and had to cancel due to medical emergency - everything was refunded.

Does the Chase insurance cover medical or evacuation costs or is it merely cancellation coverage? You may not be able to depend upon it entirely. Does your medical inurance pay if you are out of country? What about the cost of getting home if you have a medical emergency?

I read an article about a man on a cruise in Russia who had not purchased travel insurance, and when he had an unexpected medical emergency in Russia, it cost him $100,000 for medical transportation back to the U.S. He now believes strongly in MedJet because medical transportation can be the most expensive part of an emergency while traveling. Princess will cover up to $50,000 for medical transportation, which is probably enough for most circumstances, but with Medjet insurance costing $270 a year, it's something to consider. Here's the Medjet website:

http://medjetassist.com/

and a discussion of their benefits:

http://medjetassist.com/defaultmembership/membershipbenefits.aspx

They have short term travel protection, too:

http://medjetassist.com/defaultmembership/shorttermdetails.aspx

Also, AARP members get an 18% discount on Medjet insurance:)

OK, here is my two cents worth.

We purchased Princess Platinum insurance for our B2B2B last August. We had also the flights booked through EZ air. We are both in our early seventies and my DW has diabetes, I'm apparently healthy :D. If I remember correctly the total cost for the cruise & flights came in at about $ 12,000.00 Canadian.

Insurance cost for this whole package was 7% of $ 12,000.00 or $ 840.00.

We had to add a top up insurance for additional day not covered by Princess but that was not too bad.

We inquired with other insurers but none of them even came close because of the diabetes issue.

Princess Platinum insurance does not required us to disclose pre conditions.

For us it will be Princess insurance.

Theo