Beware of this cabin: Vista Suite E732 on Emerald

susiesan

I just returned from a 7 day cruise in Vista Suite E732 on the Emerald. There were 3 women in this suite which cost thousands of dollars. Unbeknownst to me this suite is located directly over the stage of the nightclub Club Fusion. Whenever there is live music being played in the nightclub, it is so loud you can hear the lyrics in the suite. The pounding music and drums shake the cabin. There was no way the 3 of us could sleep through the loud sounds, even with earplugs, until after midnight when the band would usually stop.

Every night I would call the front desk to ask that it be turned down or move the band to another venue. Every night they would promise to fix ix it, but nothing ever happened. There were very few people in Club Fusion after 11:00pm listening to the music anyways. After 4 nights of not being able to sleep I spoke to a supervisor, asked for an empty cabin to sleep in, and compensation for not getting full use of the expensive suite payed for. I had to continue to negotiate with Princess until the last day to find out the compensation they were offering.

I did get a goodwill credit, in writing, for the inconvenience. Princess needs to soundproof this suite and warn people that it is so loud and light sleepers should never be booked into this cabin. This is a serious design flaw.

If you are a light sleeper stay away from this suite on the Emerald and the sister ships.

Sorry to hear it. You say "unbeknownst" to you, but it would have been possible to check the location of the cabin on the deck plans before you booked it. I always do that. What's on either side? above? below? I hope the rest of your cruise was a success.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your suite experience.

You are not new to CC so I am surprised you did not do some research before you booked. People constantly post that you need to look to see what areas are above and below your cabin before you book. This cabin location has been mentioned many times regarding the noise from the club below. It bothers some and not others.

People solved the problem by sleeping late and spending their evenings in other venues. Midnight is not that late and surprised if you didn't want to go out that you didn't just watch a movie until midnight and not try to sleep. I'm sure that uncomfortable sofa bed didn't help for the person sleeping in it. Those suites are really designed for only two adults.

People in the suites under the pool area have issues with the lounge chairs been moved above their heads and again, it bothers some and not others.

I'm surprised they gave you goodwill credit since this issue is well known.

Sorry for that horrible experience. If you should book another cruise check the deck plans on the ship that you are considering. It is always best to book a room sandwiched between to floors of rooms and not above or below a public area. If you book a forward room you will hear the anchor being dropped early in the morning on the lower decks as well.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your suite experience.

You are not new to CC so I am surprised you did not do some research before you booked. People constantly post that you need to look to see what areas are above and below your cabin before you book. This cabin location has been mentioned many times regarding the noise from the club below. It bothers some and not others.

People solved the problem by sleeping late and spending their evenings in other venues. Midnight is not that late and surprised if you didn't want to go out that you didn't just watch a movie until midnight and not try to sleep. I'm sure that uncomfortable sofa bed didn't help for the person sleeping in it. Those suites are really designed for only two adults.

People in the suites under the pool area have issues with the lounge chairs been moved above their heads and again, it bothers some and not others.

I'm surprised they gave you goodwill credit since this issue is well known.

I usually do research cabin location and also rely on my TA to advise me. She failed in this duty and I will let her know what happened. I have never sailed on one of these very large ships before and had not been on Princess in over 9 years. I did know there was a venue called Club Fusion below the suite but I did not know what it was used for. On most ships the late night music/dance venue is the disco, or Skywalkers on the Emerald.

I could not just stay up and watch a movie until midnight because there were 2 others in the cabin who were able to sleep through the noise from Club Fusion but not from a TV in the cabin. I should not have to adjust my schedule to fit Princess; if I want to go to sleep at 11:00pm I should be able to do that.

I did enjoy the suite experience for the first time. If it weren't for having 3 women in a cabin I would never have booked one. I don't think it was worth the extra money other than for the additional space.

I just returned from a 7 day cruise in Vista Suite E732 on the Emerald. There were 3 women in this suite which cost thousands of dollars. Unbeknownst to me this suite is located directly over the stage of the nightclub Club Fusion. Whenever there is live music being played in the nightclub, it is so loud you can hear the lyrics in the suite. The pounding music and drums shake the cabin. There was no way the 3 of us could sleep through the loud sounds, even with earplugs, until after midnight when the band would usually stop.

Every night I would call the front desk to ask that it be turned down or move the band to another venue. Every night they would promise to fix ix it, but nothing ever happened. There were very few people in Club Fusion after 11:00pm listening to the music anyways. After 4 nights of not being able to sleep I spoke to a supervisor, asked for an empty cabin to sleep in, and compensation for not getting full use of the expensive suite payed for. I had to continue to negotiate with Princess until the last day to find out the compensation they were offering.

I did get a goodwill credit, in writing, for the inconvenience. Princess needs to soundproof this suite and warn people that it is so loud and light sleepers should never be booked into this cabin. This is a serious design flaw.

If you are a light sleeper stay away from this suite on the Emerald and the sister ships.

About a year ago my husband and I were upgraded (free) to this suite on a 16 day cruise from Copenhagen to NYC. We were never bothered with the noise/sounds you speak of. I am a super light sleeper -- never had a problem with Club Fusion. I always use a "sound machine" to help with the sleeping -- even here a home. This may be something you could try to help with background noises.

Sorry for your bad experience. However, I would stay in that suite again in a heartbeat.

I'm totally confused.

First you tell us that: "Whenever there is live music being played in the nightclub, it is so loud you can hear the lyrics in the suite. The pounding music and drums shake the cabin. There was no way the 3 of us could sleep through the loud sounds, even with earplugs, until after midnight when the band would usually stop."

Then you tell us: "I could not just stay up and watch a movie until midnight because there were 2 others in the cabin who were able to sleep through the noise from Club Fusion but not from a TV in the cabin."

First, it's "pounding music and drums" shaking the cabin and the three of you could not sleep "even with earplugs".

Then, you tell us that the other women in the cabin: "were able to sleep through the noise from" the club but couldn't sleep with a TV playing.

If they could sleep through the pounding music shaking the cabin but couldn't sleep with the tv playing, how loud did you have the TV?

Edited by RocketMan275

I'm sorry you didn't get any sleep. I know how that is. I was on the Royal Princess last April (loved it) but the wind, vibration, and droning noise was horrendous (not every night). I called down to pax services and they called the bridge (I was in L108) and somehow the bridge tweaked the ship's position and the wind noise/vibration dissipated. It's hard to enjoy a cruise when you're sleep-deprived. I always research rooms though before booking. Anything with the word "Club" in it, I stay far away from.

I could not just stay up and watch a movie until midnight because there were 2 others in the cabin who were able to sleep through the noise from Club Fusion but not from a TV in the cabin.

And herein lies the problem, and why Princess is not going to jump at a demand for compensation. It is fairly widely reported here that the noise from Club Fusion is noticeable to some, intolerable to some, and a non-issue to some. You go in with eyes open, understanding the risks.

Every night I would call the front desk to ask that it be turned down or move the band to another venue.

Seriously? Did you think through the logistics of moving the band to.....I'm not sure where.

I, too, have been in this cabin and have heard the drum "beat" until very late. For us it wasn't the music/lyrics it was the constant beating that could have been annoying. I knew what was below me, I love the set-up of the suites and mini's so; I either book a starboard cabin which hears none of the noise from Club Fusion or:

I go to sleep later; go up to Horizon Court get a plate of cookies, turn on the TV, and watch an amazing movie [which is one of my favorite things about Princess], they show first run movies. And, soon forget all about the drums & music.

Be warned: If drums and late night music annoy you......DO NOT BOOK AN AFT/PORT SIDE/SUITE OR MINI ON EMERALD DECK.

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

She is blaming her TA for not advising her about the room but is taking it out on Princess. I'm wondering if she was the one sleeping on the sofa - that may be why she didn't sleep more than the noise. People try to get by cheaper by having three in a cabin and it can make for some very uncomfortable conditions. yes the cabin is larger but their sofa beds aren't comfortable. I learned that a long time ago when I feel asleep watching a movie. And she said Princess should warn light sleepers of this cabin. Give me a break!!!

We always book aft suites and I think the thrusters make more noise docking and the rocking in rough waters keeps me up - gee - maybe it is time I complain to Princess about that and they might give me some $$$$.

I still can't believe they went to bed before midnight. When my wife is with her buddies, they stay up half the night talking. And how did she know there were very few people in Fusions after 11pm. I thought they were in bed trying to sleep.

I'd like to see the letter she wrote Princess. Did she really think they would turn down the volume or move them? Princess is too good with people like her.

You guys are hysterical. I agree with you all, and that is probably why we won't hear back from the OP. My first ever HAL cruise my cabin was above the disco. However, as I'm a late sleeper and later riser, it really didn't bother me, but I can see how it could be very disturbing. Heck, I just concentrate on the drum sounds and it hypnotises me to sleep.

What I don't understand is why this allegedly happened every night. Most nights when I went past Club Fusion there was zero going on there. If there was a party it was over by 11. The dancing for the younger crowd (or we older, adventurous ones) after 11 is basically in the Skywalker (not sure if this ship still has it), but not Club Fusion.

Maureen

The light from the TV could have bothered the roommates, more than the noise coming from it. Although, we once had a room above the Princess theatre, and I could barely get my afternoon nap in because of a similar issue with the noise. On the bright side, I learned most of the lyrics to the songs and could sing along when it came time to go and see the show in the evening.....:)

Edited by Happiest when cruising

I wish OP would come back and explain how her room mates could sleep through the pounding drums shaking the room but couldn't sleep when she turned on the TV?

Perhaps the ladies didn't mind the noise, just the light blaring from the tv. I know it drives me wild when hubby keeps it on so he can watch a movie.

Perhaps the ladies didn't mind the noise, just the light blaring from the tv. I know it drives me wild when hubby keeps it on so he can watch a movie.

Perhaps. But OP stated: "I could not just stay up and watch a movie until midnight because there were 2 others in the cabin who were able to sleep through the noise from Club Fusion but not from a TV in the cabin." No other way to read that sentence except that the noise from the TV would keep them awake.

I wish OP would come back and explain how her room mates could sleep through the pounding drums shaking the room but couldn't sleep when she turned on the TV?

I did not turn on the TV. The light and sound would have bothered them. It was after the third day that my sisters were able to sleep through the music. I never could. I had to leave the cabin in my bathrobe and go to the house phone down the hall by the elevators to call the front desk at 11:45pm to ask for the sound to be turned down.

If the band couldn't be relocated to another venue not in use, and no one was in Club Fusion (which they weren't after 11:00pm), then late night partiers should have been directed to Skywalkers.

I did not turn on the TV. The light and sound would have bothered them. It was after the third day that my sisters were able to sleep through the music. I never could. I had to leave the cabin in my bathrobe and go to the house phone down the hall by the elevators to call the front desk at 11:45pm to ask for the sound to be turned down.

If the band couldn't be relocated to another venue not in use, and no one was in Club Fusion (which they weren't after 11:00pm), then late night partiers should have been directed to Skywalkers.

Susie, in all fairness there is no way that a band, their instruments, the sound equipment, lighting, etc. can be moved without a lot of pre-planning, which is what you seriously should have done before booking this cabin.

I know it's not always something that we think about when we're very excited about booking a cruise. That said, EVERYONE needs to learn that cruising is different than booking land vacations in a hotel room. There are lots of variables to be considered. LOCATION of your cabin being the number one concern.

You and your sisters had a lovely cabin right above a very popular, loud, night spot, that is well known onboard Princess cruise ships. This was very poor planning for folks who are disturbed by music in the evening.

You obviously have access to the internet where the deck plans of all cruise ships is readily available and where you can easily see what's above and below the cabin that you booked. Or, you could always ask your Travel Agent to tell you.

If I had been the Purser's Desk, I would have told you the exact same thing: "Sorry, the venue is the venue......Please plan better next time!!!!!"

So you don't know if the TV would have bother them or not?

Question: The TV "light and sound would have bothered them", yet they could sleep through the "The pounding music and drums" that caused the cabin to "shake"?

Another question, why did you leave the cabin to make the phone calls? Surely, not to avoid disturbing your cabin mates. If they could sleep through the pounding music so loud it caused the cabin to shake, why would your phone call bother them?

Some other questions:

Why should they close down an entertainment venue to please one passenger?

How did you determine that no one was in Club Fusion after 11PM? Did you go there?

I'm lost. Is the OP unwilling to admit she goofed in doing inadequate research or is she looking for additional compensation? I must admit, however, that a request to "move the band" is about the funniest thing I have read here in a long time. :D