Beverage Package Gratuities Update: 15% to 18%

Celebrity Cruises

'Cause it beats 20%. Those outside the US will never understand. May or not be a good thing :)

Again, NOT just an American thing. Many other countries encourage/request tipping. Australia is one of the few that does not though.

Again, NOT just an American thing. Many other countries encourage/request tipping. Australia is one of the few that does not though.

Australia in other customs that seem odd to Americans, also does not frequently allow "split checks" when dining out either. In USA, we can have a table of 4 and expect the server to present 4 separate checks which can be paid with 4 separate credit cards.

When I was in Sydney and Melbourne, most restaurants (well to be honest I don't remember ANY that allowed this) looked at me like I had 4 eyes when i asked for split checks, and would not of it. One day, at a cafe they said no, so I said ok, instead of 1 table for 4, we'll take 4 tables with 1 each then. Eventually I as the boss just said fine I'll treat the staff.

For us the issue was we had prepaid per-diems to our working staff so we had to pay individually.

Edited by cle-guy

In Egypt, the federal tax return actually has a line item on it for you to deduct as a legitimate business expense 20% of revenue as an undocumented gratuity, as tipping is so common there fore EVERYTHING one does to get anything done.

And on that basis, 25% would be fair because it beats an arbitrary 30%.

So not really fair...

What the other poster is more likely relating to, is in the USA where 15 years ago customary gratuity for service was 15%, over time it has grown that the customary gratuity for service is now 20%, so 18% is a bargain relatively speaking in terms of paying when getting service.

Wine prices up at least 10% last year, but package limits remained the same ($8 for Classic, $13 for Premium). I most certainly can understand an increase in gratuties, but appears to be less for more. I believe that Celebrity should consider rasing the per drink price by $1 or $2 to restore some of the choices that were eliminated due to increases.

Please, price of alcohol on X is very high compare to other cruise lines and selection is not the best . Most of $8.00 wines are simply undrinkable .

Please, price of alcohol on X is very high compare to other cruise lines and selection is not the best . Most of $8.00 wines are simply undrinkable .

I don't want to "speak" for 'Orator' (with a name like that I'm sure they can speak for themselves)...But I'm assuming they meant raising the per drink price limit available under the specific packages rather than the actual drink's price...

But similarly I actually thought that the price limits had been dropped after reading:

Wine prices up at least 10% last year, but package limits remained the same ($8 for Classic, $13 for Premium)....

because I thought the limits were $6 beer, $8 spirits/cocktails & $9 for wine (under Classic).

And after checking the (UK) website I am none the wiser...

"...all Beers up to $6 per serving and spirits, liqueurs, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving."

then

"...beers up to $6 per serving, wines up to $9.00 per glass and spirits and cocktails $8 per glass."

Does anybody have a clue?

Only on cruise ships is so much time devoted to worrying about how much the staff is paid.

I don't get it. :cool:

The other factoid is that the increase in the gratuity amount is not a 3% increase, it is a 20% increase.

Don't they teach math anymore? :p

Only on cruise ships is so much time devoted to worrying about how much the staff is paid.

The other factoid is that the increase in the gratuity amount is not a 3% increase, it is a 20% increase.

LOL, ASixth -- sounds like you could really use a drink.;) You DO have the drink package, don't you?:p

But similarly I actually thought that the price limits had been dropped after reading:

because I thought the limits were $6 beer, $8 spirits/cocktails & $9 for wine (under Classic).

"...all Beers up to $6 per serving and spirits, liqueurs, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving."

then

"...beers up to $6 per serving, wines up to $9.00 per glass and spirits and cocktails $8 per glass."

This is on Celebritycruises.com, uk pages

"Classic Package

Throughout your cruise, choose from beers up to $6 per serving, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and frozen drinks up to $8 per serving, and wine-by-the-glass up to $9 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list."

"Premium Package

Enjoy our entire selection of fine craft beers, top-shelf spirits, premium cocktails and wines-by-the-glass up to $13 per serving. Indulge in unique craft cocktails, extra-large martinis, even liquid nitrogen-chilled cocktails from the Molecular Bar. Plus, with purchase of this Premium Package, you can enjoy a 20% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list."

Gordon

The gratuity is included in the cost of the beverage package, so it would seem to me, the percentage for the gratuity is not relevant unless the cost of the beverage package increases by that amount. If one does not have the beverage package and is "paying as you go", has the gratuity increased to 18%, as well?

This is on Celebritycruises.com, uk pages

"Classic Package

Throughout your cruise, choose from beers up to $6 per serving, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and frozen drinks up to $8 per serving, and wine-by-the-glass up to $9 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list."

"Premium Package

Enjoy our entire selection of fine craft beers, top-shelf spirits, premium cocktails and wines-by-the-glass up to $13 per serving. Indulge in unique craft cocktails, extra-large martinis, even liquid nitrogen-chilled cocktails from the Molecular Bar. Plus, with purchase of this Premium Package, you can enjoy a 20% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list."

Gordon

Yeah - that's where I got my 2nd quote from, but the UK FAQs page states:

"all Beers up to $6 per serving and spirits, liqueurs, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. " under the Classic Package.

I guess somebody forgot to update that one? Just wanting to make sure my wife's Prosecco ($9) is covered under classic...

Yeah - that's where I got my 2nd quote from, but the UK FAQs page states:

"all Beers up to $6 per serving and spirits, liqueurs, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. " under the Classic Package.

I guess somebody forgot to update that one? Just wanting to make sure my wife's Prosecco ($9) is covered under classic...

Did you get that from celebritycruises.co.uk? at this page on same site under the beverage packages it is $9. http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/life-on-board/wine-and-beverage-packages/premium-and-classic-packages/

It is showing as $9 on all the bits where you can book it and I would tend to trust that part. We always do the upgrade to premium which is about £100 for 7 nights for a couple (£50 each). £200 for 14 nights so I have never been worried about whether it id $8 or $9.

Gordon

Did you get that from celebritycruises.co.uk? at this page on same site under the beverage packages it is $9. http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/life-on-board/wine-and-beverage-packages/premium-and-classic-packages/...

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/ under Beverages Packages.

But I'm sure (hoping) it is $9 - don't want to have to upgrade if I can help it.

Thanks.

Edited by GazW
Spelling

I don't want to "speak" for 'Orator' (with a name like that I'm sure they can speak for themselves)...But I'm assuming they meant raising the per drink price limit available under the specific packages rather than the actual drink's price...

then

Sailings from the UK the per drink prices are modified such that the advertised prices are inclusive of mandatory gratuity as per UK Laws, and as such the same drinks are still within the package in the UK as US, the price point allowance is adjusted up accordingly. This nuance is not made clear often times, especially on these boards, but once aboard a UK based cruise on celebrity you ail find this is the case.

Also your price points and quotes seem to come from different points in time, as they raised the wine minimum price sometime last year where once it was same as cocktail prides.

If you are not pulling price information directly from the Celebrity website opt from a Celebrity source direct (and not from Cruise Critic), consider it suspect, outdated or inaccurate. And if there is no specific info on the X website, look for it onboard the ship, as it does change over time, and perhaps they have decided to not maintain such minute detail any longer on the web.

Well, if you're all for accuracy, a "factoid" is something that is inherently false.

Don't they teach English anymore?

:D

(Just giving you a hard time!) :cool:

Sailings from the UK the per drink prices are modified such that the advertised prices are inclusive of mandatory gratuity as per UK Laws, and as such the same drinks are still within the package in the UK as US, the price point allowance is adjusted up accordingly. This nuance is not made clear often times, especially on these boards, but once aboard a UK based cruise on celebrity you ail find this is the case.

I believe this to be the case also, however my sailing is ex-Venice.

Also your price points and quotes seem to come from different points in time, as they raised the wine minimum price sometime last year where once it was same as cocktail prides.

If you are not pulling price information directly from the Celebrity website opt from a Celebrity source direct (and not from Cruise Critic), consider it suspect, outdated or inaccurate. And if there is no specific info on the X website, look for it onboard the ship, as it does change over time, and perhaps they have decided to not maintain such minute detail any longer on the web.

Both quotes (including prices) are from the current celebritycruises.co.uk website, but, as stated, from different areas of the site. Hence my query as to which one is correct.

I believe this to be the case also, however my sailing is ex-Venice.

Both quotes (including prices) are from the current celebritycruises.co.uk website, but, as stated, from different areas of the site. Hence my query as to which one is correct.

The bulk of the info is on celebritycruises.commwhic states $9 per glass for wine.

I am sur that the .co.uk bit is wrong.

Just read that NCL is raising the standard daily gratuity 95 cents

Looks like everyone is getting on the raise the gratuity bandwagon, X, RCL, and now NCL. Just like airlines all wait for each other to raise fares before they all do it.

Didn't X raise its daily fixed gratuity within the last 2 years?

What the other poster is more likely relating to, is in the USA where 15 years ago customary gratuity for service was 15%, over time it has grown that the customary gratuity for service is now 20%, so 18% is a bargain relatively speaking in terms of paying when getting service.

So how is that viewed? Is it supported as people want to raise the waitstaff's standard of living? I understand the cost of food hasn't fallen, so would expect natural inflation increases would see the absolute tip value rise anyway, as the cost of food does.

Or is there some other rationale for the increase?

So how is that viewed? Is it supported as people want to raise the waitstaff's standard of living? I understand the cost of food hasn't fallen, so would expect natural inflation increases would see the absolute tip value rise anyway, as the cost of food does.

Or is there some other rationale for the increase?

While operating and food costs of restaurants have risen, wage costs in restaurants have remained relatively stagnant, thus gratuities have gone up - so staff get higher pay via increased traditional and customary gratuities.

It's no secret that consumers pay the bulk of the wages of servers in the USA (frankly as they do elsewhere) It's just blatantly transparent here versus places where the establishment pays a high labor wage and staff get no tips, the prices of the food being served is increased to cover that directly, where here relatively speaking the cost of the meal pre tip is likely about 15-20% less than a similar dining experience elsewhere (of course many, many more variables fall into play, so this is not absolute, more of a way to paint a picture so to speak).

It all evens out, it's just far more transparent in the USA how much of the expense of dining out is allocated to labor, 20% on average on top of the bill, where in other cultures the cost is buried in the fixed expense of the meal.

While operating and food costs of restaurants have risen, wage costs in restaurants have remained relatively stagnant, thus gratuities have gone up - so staff get higher pay via increased traditional and customary gratuities.

It's no secret that consumers pay the bulk of the wages of servers in the USA (frankly as they do elsewhere) It's just blatantly transparent here versus places where the establishment pays a high labor wage and staff get no tips, the prices of the food being served is increased to cover that directly, where here relatively speaking the cost of the meal pre tip is likely about 15-20% less than a similar dining experience elsewhere (of course many, many more variables fall into play, so this is not absolute, more of a way to paint a picture so to speak).

It all evens out, it's just far more transparent in the USA how much of the expense of dining out is allocated to labor, 20% on average on top of the bill, where in other cultures the cost is buried in the fixed expense of the meal.

Blatantly transparent how much is labour cost?

But eyes closed to the cost of kitchen staff and other staff. And even hidden how the establishment handles the tips that are collected. What percentage of your tip actually goes to the server?

And its so blatantly transparent that tourists are confused and bewildered, and if they ask questions they are abused on here.

It's just you'd expect food to go up around the rate of inflation, and thus the tip income would equally go up around the rate of inflation. This would be consistent with many people's salaries - although I know many don't get much of an increase either.

It just seems odd that waitstaff incomes would be rising substantially above the rate of inflation (and obviously not due to performance as well, as people still have the flexibility to grant above/below the standard rate), unless something else was at play.

The bulk of the info is on celebritycruises.commwhic states $9 per glass for wine.

I am sur that the .co.uk bit is wrong.

Thanks Gordon. I probably shouldn't get hung up on the one anomaly I spotted.

I noticed they still manged to update that very same page with the gratuity increase of course.[emoji6]