Beverage Package Gratuities Update: 15% to 18%

Celebrity Cruises

Let's look at a martini bar bartender for example, on flair night......They pour 24 martinis at once. Martinis are $13 each.

$13 x 24 = $312 x 18% Gratuity = $56.16 in tips, for 10 minutes work.

Ouch !!! Thats a fair bit of gratuity .:eek:

Let's look at a martini bar bartender for example, on flair night......They pour 24 martinis at once. Martinis are $13 each.

First off this would truly be a great deal if these guys were doing that 6 times an hour for their entire shift, but that's not the case. I know someone who performs a task that typically takes 5 to 30 minutes and makes a profit of several hundred dollars for that task. people tell min all the time how great it must be to make several hundred dollars for 15 minutes work which ignores the hours he puts in every day on related, non-revenue producing, time required for his job. The bar tenders work extremely long shifts part of which is behind the scenes and/or at very slow times.

Second, your example also presumes people are purchasing their martinis ala carte when most have a beverage package. (The martini bars were never quite so busy before the beverage packages.) The beverage package gratuity gets split pooled among all beverage staff according to some unknown formula. It is rumored to be related to the volume of drinks served but no one knows for certain if this is the case.

They're not pouring full size martini's when they do the 24. They're flights of mini martinis at a much reduced price.

They're not pouring full size martini's when they do the 24. They're flights of mini martinis at a much reduced price.

Sometimes they are, others it's full size. Depends on who ordered what, and how skilled the bartender is will determine which they make. The poring of the rinks matters not as to what glass they pour into, they just have to space the glasses and shaker cans accordingly to let whatever's poured line up with the vessel being bored into.

I've seen the full sized martini glasses lined up and stacked, and I've seen the baby glasses for the tasting menus lined up and set atop of bottles and other random and fun items.

Every time I've seen 24 it was a flight. Never full size. They did multiples of larger glasses but we did not see 24 either live or in any pictures. I'm not saying it's not possible but I would bet most times you're seeing 24 poured it's not over $50 in a gratuity. That's ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is a fair bit of gratuity: 18%, which is fair.

Every time I've seen 24 it was a flight. Never full size. They did multiples of larger glasses but we did not see 24 either live or in any pictures. I'm not saying it's not possible but I would bet most times you're seeing 24 poured it's not over $50 in a gratuity. That's ridiculous.

In any case, the flights aren't covered under any drinks package so they are getting standard gratuity on those versus the mystical calculation for drink package covered drinks gratuities.

I think I'll reiterate this here: If you can afford to cruise, what's the big deal in an 18% gratuity as opposed a 15%? Seriously. All this discussion about tipping people who work incredibly hard for our enjoyment on our vacations astounds me. Tipping is not a new phenomenon, nor is it strictly an American thing, nor is it forced upon you. You can reverse them if you wish.

Pay, don't pay, it's up to you. 380+ comments on it has this horse not only beaten to death, it's no longer resembling a horse!

I think I'll reiterate this here: If you can afford to cruise, what's the big deal in an 18% gratuity as opposed a 15%? Seriously. All this discussion about tipping people who work incredibly hard for our enjoyment on our vacations astounds me. Tipping is not a new phenomenon, nor is it strictly an American thing, nor is it forced upon you. You can reverse them if you wish.

Pay, don't pay, it's up to you. 380+ comments on it has this horse not only beaten to death, it's no longer resembling a horse!

Good post...

Royal Caribbean just upped it to 18% too. Or

possibly not. RCL are claiming it's a web issue. We'll see I bet it was just released early

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2165094

According to this thread (link above) on the RC boards, it looks like RC has indeed raised the gratuities on all drinks (and packages) to 18%. And, it appears that they didn't get any advance warning, like those of us on this board did -- thanks to CelebrityCruises! :cool:

Surprisingly a little bit extra on the cost makes a difference to some folk. There are many different type of cruisers. Those that can and do cruise several times a year, those that regularly book suites, those that have an annual cruise and those that take a while to save for a cruise that they may only have infrequently so possibly may struggle to "afford to cruise". There are probably many other types in-between such as a first timer celebrating a special anniversary.

The great thing is that throw them all together on a cruise and they can all have the same great experience, and will be happy to reward the crew for providing this. It may only be another 3% but that means different things to different people.

Surprisingly a little bit extra on the cost makes a difference to some folk. There are many different type of cruisers. Those that can and do cruise several times a year, those that regularly book suites, those that have an annual cruise and those that take a while to save for a cruise that they may only have infrequently so possibly may struggle to "afford to cruise". There are probably many other types in-between such as a first timer celebrating a special anniversary.

The great thing is that throw them all together on a cruise and they can all have the same great experience, and will be happy to reward the crew for providing this. It may only be another 3% but that means different things to different people.

Let's do the math then.

There are two of you on a 7 day cruise. You each average 5 beverages a day costing an average of $8 each. A 15% gratuity is $84. An 18% gratuity is $100.80. $16.80 more. On $560 worth of beverages.

And, yes, there are people who buy bottles of wine and do spend more money on drinks, but the end result is you're still only paying 3 cents more per each dollar spent. 3 cents.

So, while I wholeheartedly agree with you that there are some who "struggle to afford a cruise", if $16.80 more is going to cause them undue hardship, then they need to re-think their vacation costs/plans.

Let's do the math then.

There are two of you on a 7 day cruise. You each average 5 beverages a day costing an average of $8 each. A 15% gratuity is $84. An 18% gratuity is $100.80. $16.80 more. On $560 worth of beverages.

And, yes, there are people who buy bottles of wine and do spend more money on drinks, but the end result is you're still only paying 3 cents more per each dollar spent. 3 cents.

So, while I wholeheartedly agree with you that there are some who "struggle to afford a cruise", if $16.80 more is going to cause them undue hardship, then they need to re-think their vacation costs/plans.

I fully agree with this. Although I'm not happy about 18% for a drink (I can tolerate it for dining and other very customer oriented services however) I will still go and pay it and not argue to have it removed. To me a bartender gets $1 per drink, maybe round the change up. But 18% or $2.34 tip to pour 2 ounces of liquor in a glass and pour in some tonic and ice on top of it, is outrageous to me, as value for money. Heck, i'd even have no issue with a drink gratuity if the drink is delivered to me, but not when I have to saddle up to a bar, wait for 5 minutes and then ask for my drink.

Seems odd to me the person wandering the room and walking through the crowds to find me take my order and bring it back, gets the same tip as the dude who never leaves his space at the bar and makes me come find him, wait on him and then carry my own drink back to my table. 18% gratuities are for servers, $1 a drink tips are for bartenders who do multiple sales in a shorter amount of time.

90 cents tip for a $5 warm can of Coke to be handed to me over a counter, and told that if I want ice there ice in the ice machine across the way, is outrageous too. At least open the can pour it over ice, give me a straw, lemon slice and a bar napkin. Again I pay it, but I will express my dissatisfaction in it.

I read same arguments by people not wanting X to text them about boarding schedules because they don't want to pay for those calls. If you can't afford 1 or even 10 .50 cent text messages, then you shouldn't be on any vacation, let alone a cruise vacation. You re being very irresponsible with funds. You should wait 1 more year to vacation, and have some savings and cushion available to you for things that pop up.

Edited by cle-guy

I fully agree with this. Although I'm not happy about 18% for a drink (I can tolerate it for dining and other very customer oriented services however) I will still go and pay it and not argue to have it removed. To me a bartender gets $1 per drink, maybe round the change up. But 18% or $2.34 tip to pour 2 ounces of liquor in a glass and pour in some tonic and ice on top of it, is outrageous to me, as value for money. Heck, i'd even have no issue with a drink gratuity if the drink is delivered to me, but not when I have to saddle up to a bar, wait for 5 minutes and then ask for my drink.

Seems odd to me the person wandering the room and walking through the crowds to find me take my order and bring it back, gets the same tip as the dude who never leaves his space at the bar and makes me come find him, wait on him and then carry my own drink back to my table. 18% gratuities are for servers, $1 a drink tips are for bartenders who do multiple sales in a shorter amount of time.

90 cents tip for a $5 warm can of Coke to be handed to me over a counter, and told that if I want ice there ice in the ice machine across the way, is outrageous too. At least open the can pour it over ice, give me a straw, lemon slice and a bar napkin. Again I pay it, but I will express my dissatisfaction in it.

I read same arguments by people not wanting X to text them about boarding schedules because they don't want to pay for those calls. If you can't afford 1 or even 10 .50 cent text messages, then you shouldn't be on any vacation, let alone a cruise vacation. You re being very irresponsible with funds. You should wait 1 more year to vacation, and have some savings and cushion available to you for things that pop up.

Oh dear, you find the tipping expectations of certain groups outrageous?

Fine for you to say so, but not fine for a non-US person to say so?

OK...I have very strong feelings on the concept of tipping but I keep them to myself. I always comply with onboard tipping and have never asked for any to be removed from my account.

The last couple of posts have been very interesting.

Following up on the math(s) one posted by Kevin. How many couples do you thing a bartender might service each week?

If it was 10 that means he is earning $1000+ a week in tips!

I would suggest in reality it is many more than that.

Has the cruise world gone mad as Cle-Guy sees to suggest?

Do not get me wrong. Working on cruise ships is tough. Not everyone can do it.....but for those that can the rewards are there.

Incidently we generally do not tip barpersons in the UK

Whatever, I will continue to play by the cruise "rules"

Oh dear, you find the tipping expectations of certain groups outrageous?

Fine for you to say so, but not fine for a non-US person to say so?

I stated wayyyyyyy back in this thread I didn't agree to the standard of increasing to 18%, but it is what it is so I can't really do much about it. Even in my most recent post I said I'll tip it and not remove it:

Although I'm not happy about 18% for a drink (I can tolerate it for dining and other very customer oriented services however) I will still go and pay it and not argue to have it removed.

I am stating that tipping a bartender 18% IS NOT the norm in normal bars in the US, but it is the norm for being served by a cocktail waitress. I haven't seen anyone discuss that nuance in tipping custom/culture yet, thus I mentioned that in this post.

OK, it seems odd to me to see an 18% tip on a drink. Especially when it is a simple drink or worse, a can of pop.

Here is what I found bothersome. The way that drinks were priced to just exceed the 123GO threshold.

Now, personally I might have 3-4 drinks during a 7 day cruise so it doesn't effect me. But it did make me a bit cynical when I ordered a coke and rum and the price was $8.05. I'm sure this is designed to encourage people to bump up the extra $ for the premium package.

Since I don't drink, and it is obvious that alcohol sales are a big profit center I figure that in effect the drinkers are subsidizing my cost of the cruise. At least I like to see it that way. :-)

OK, it seems odd to me to see an 18% tip on a drink. Especially when it is a simple drink or worse, a can of pop.

Here is what I found bothersome. The way that drinks were priced to just exceed the 123GO threshold.

Now, personally I might have 3-4 drinks during a 7 day cruise so it doesn't effect me. But it did make me a bit cynical when I ordered a coke and rum and the price was $8.05. I'm sure this is designed to encourage people to bump up the extra $ for the premium package.

When did this happen? All drinks I order are always an even amount, plus tip added on. If in certain ports where local laws require, sales tax also added (such while in port in Bayonne), but if on drinks package, the tax doesn't up the price and require any payment.

The drinks packages are designed d so the a drink to X price, PLUS gratuity is covered, not X price INCLUSIVE of gratuity.

If you pay as you go, however, you can certainly and will always have odd prices on sales receipts.

A rum and coke should be priced at an even dollar amount with cheap rum and fall under classic package or premium rum and fall in premium package, But there's just not a way that a drink prices out to $8.05, unless local sales tax is being applied, and then if on a drinks package, it's still be a the $7 or $8 price point and covered....

But it did make me a bit cynical when I ordered a coke and rum and the price was $8.05.

I can read between the lines that your rum and coke was made with basic Bacardi @ 7.00 and the 15% gratuity (1.05) made it 8.05. This would still be covered under the classic program.