Unknown charge on my Amex

Froggitt

No-one.

You should notice that they are 'Pending' charges and they should drop off in a day or two. If they're still there after a week or so or they convert to full charges, then you can contact NCL.

I got off the Dawn on Sunday and my Discover card had about $360 in unknown pending charges. When I checked the next day, they'd gone.

I totally agree with "call no one". Give it a few days and chances are it will clear. To spend time getting bounced around at NCL is not a good use of time. Spending time questioning a charge with AMEX is not a good use of time either. Most of these things clear up in a few days.

Don't email. Call.

NCL UK: 0845 201 8900 http://www.ncl.co.uk

Do not tolerate more than one phone call for an explanation of the charge. If NCL doesn't explain it to your satisfaction on the FIRST phone call, escalate to American Express.

I agree. Don't hesitate to call Amex if the charges can't be immediately explained. It could well be fraud. My card was compromised last month while traveling (not NCL), and Amex handled it promptly and professionally.

Some times when the charges are valid say for instance buy the Viva Vino

program you would expect that the invoice would say Viva Vino but no NCL

directs the charges to a restaurant venue (NCL DAWN) Aqua. That is what

happened to me recently.

And YES as others note when using the AMEXCO card merchants will put a

pending charge (for more than the actual amount) on your account. Then a

few days later the actual amount will be posted and the pending removed.

I put $40 worth of gas in my car recently and AMEXCO & the Merchant put

a pending charge of $100 on my account. Then two days later the $40 was

posted and the $100 removed.

Strange way to do business but it may have a lot to do with security of the

card holders account.

As noted when you see pending charges AMEXCO will not process disputes

until the actual charges are POSTED.

Ad note:

With some cruise lines you have the ability to check your Onboard Account

simply by using the TV in your cabin. Do this daily to see that all charges are

correctly and timely applied to your account.

With the ships and cruise lines that don't offer this a trip to the Pursers Desk

or Registration Deck or whatever title they are using is helpful to check the

balance on your account maybe not everyday but right after taking a shore

excursion or major purchase in a gift or duty free shop. Nip things in the bud

so that the last day of the cruise you can walk off the ship confident that the

invoice is correct and there are no hidden unexplained pending charges.

Got back from the Jade last week. Just seen two charges to my Amex. One I was expecting as the balance of the final bill. The other I don't recognise. Who do I email to query this?

thanks

American Express - just dispute the charge and let them deal with it.

American Express - just dispute the charge and let them deal with it.

Again, why not give it a day or two?

Yes, you can dispute it with AMEX. I have done that with a few charges in the past. But, I always wait for the final bill.

And, yes I have had fraud in the past. When it happens, it will surely be more than one charge and most probably will not be with the same company where you just charged (NCL in this case). Could happen, but not an issue no matter what as YOU will not be out any money.

I wonder how much time credit card companies spend on the phone with people dealing with non-issues? Time that we all pay for.

Edited by garycarla

Got back from the Jade last week. Just seen two charges to my Amex. One I was expecting as the balance of the final bill. The other I don't recognise. Who do I email to query this?

thanks

This has happened to me twice on NCL cruises. When I called I was told it was for using something from the refrigerator. I just told them I never use anything in there, which is true and they always remove the charge. I guess the room steward does a check when one cruise ends and the next one begins for inventory, but I guess they are not very accurate.

Lots of people are saying it is just a hold, but the Amex website is very clear (at least in the UK) about what are holds and what are actual charges, as they are in two separate sections. If the charge is in the pending area then it is probably fine, but if it has moved to the confirmed section then it certainly isn't just a hold and it's time to call them.

Edited by KeithJenner

Lots of people are saying it is just a hold, but the Amex website is very clear (at least in the UK) about what are holds and what are actual charges, as they are in two separate sections. If the charge is in the pending area then it is probably fine, but if it has moved to the confirmed section then it certainly isn't just a hold and it's time to call them.

Amex website is clear about pending versus charged. I've never had an actual charge reversed or "drop off"

Exactly. I'd make that call.

Still not dropped off. Call made. 020 8834 9000. However, the arris and the elbow don't seem to be joined up there.........as it was a dollar booking ie thru US NCL, UK NCL cant see any of the charges and have to email NCL US, and get them to send me an invoice.

Still not dropped off. Call made. 020 8834 9000. However, the arris and the elbow don't seem to be joined up there.........as it was a dollar booking ie thru US NCL, UK NCL cant see any of the charges and have to email NCL US, and get them to send me an invoice.

Dispute the charge with the credit card company. Let them figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it may be something like "I will pay for everything I charge" the other way of agreeing to pay for anything THEY charge would give them theoretically unlimited abilities to charge your account.

Amex is incredibly good about charge disputes, best I've experienced.

So, I spoke with NCL UK. They said they would email NCL Miami. Haven't heard from them. So spoke to my Amex provider, Barclaycard, and without batting an eyelid, they refunded the amount. Didn't even sound like they were going to try to get the money back from NCL.

So, I spoke with NCL UK. They said they would email NCL Miami. Haven't heard from them. So spoke to my Amex provider, Barclaycard, and without batting an eyelid, they refunded the amount. Didn't even sound like they were going to try to get the money back from NCL.

That's great! It's too bad someone didn't suggest you call Amex a week ago.:rolleyes:

I'm glad it's gone. I was going to suggest that perhaps it was an exchange fee. I know any time I make an overseas purchase on a credit card, there is an additional fee added that shows up as a separate charge, but under the same merchant's name and date.

For the record, I would ALWAYS call the credit card company first before the merchant. They have entire departments dedicated to looking into this for you. No reason to call NCL or whomever yourself.