Insurance Question...

I will be purchasing insurance for our trip and I'm comparing costs. I usually get quotes from one of the more popular internet sites that compare various companies (don't know if I can mention it here). I enter the price of our whole vacation (airline, cruise, car rental, hotel, etc) and get a price. I was also looking at the RCI insurance, but I was wondering if their insurance only covers the cruise itself, because that won't work for us, even though it seems cheaper. I can't find where I can even get a quote from RCI for their insurance, so I don't know if I can even add things to it.

Thanks in advance.

Melissa

We have always booked travel insurance from the day we were married and used it on all our vacations.

What started in 1991 as $69 per person for either land or sea vacations , now is upto $375 per person this year for our cruise.

It covers everything from the minute you set foot out of your house till you are back home.

We go thru our travel club that links us to a national company.

A couple years ago it became pro-rated to the total cost of the vacation. We usually travel in suites so $$ where-as years ago it was a flat fee.

What are you gonna do....

We used this insurance when we were on a land vacation in Disney when Huricaine Charlie came thru, and we were well compenstated.

Safe journey

Royal's insurance no longer cover's your flights if you book your own..it also has pretty low medical & Evac coverage...so for now I am sticking with the quotes I get from insuremytrip & other sites...

My sister had to use Royal's insurance when she had heart issues a few days before a cruise (not a pre-existing condition). She was given a 75% credit on a future cruise. Go with someone other than the cruise company if you want decent insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will be purchasing insurance for our trip and I'm comparing costs. I usually get quotes from one of the more popular internet sites that compare various companies (don't know if I can mention it here). I enter the price of our whole vacation (airline, cruise, car rental, hotel, etc) and get a price. I was also looking at the RCI insurance, but I was wondering if their insurance only covers the cruise itself, because that won't work for us, even though it seems cheaper. I can't find where I can even get a quote from RCI for their insurance, so I don't know if I can even add things to it.

Thanks in advance.

Melissa

As others have mentioned, RCI's Insurance does not cover flights if you book them on your own and the coverage values are not very good so not worth it IMO. I have used both CSA and Travelguard and have been pleased with both. insuremytrip.com is the best resource for comparing the different options. DW and I choose to have a policy that has a "Cancel for any reason" clause, so I like looking at various options when we buy a policy.

My sister had to use Royal's insurance when she had heart issues a few days before a cruise (not a pre-existing condition). She was given a 75% credit on a future cruise. Go with someone other than the cruise company if you want decent insurance.

That doesn't seem right. If your sister had a covered medical issue that prevented her from cruising, then she should have gotten a full refund. Was the heart issue not covered for some reason?

I tend to use Royal Caribbean's insurance more frequently because it does have the 75% cancel for any reason. You don't pay for it until final payment, so you don't have to purchase it within 14 days of initial deposit like other insurances. Having said that, I have used other companies for specific reasons. Most notably, we cruised with my Navy pilot son and I found a policy that would cover us if his leave was cancelled. When the Syria issue broke in 2013 his carrier was the "ready carrier." It was a close call, but luckily he it was resolved. But at least we had the policy if he was recalled and sent. So best advice is find a policy that will cover the most likely event that will cause you to cancel your cruise.

That doesn't seem right. If your sister had a covered medical issue that prevented her from cruising, then she should have gotten a full refund. Was the heart issue not covered for some reason?

I tend to use Royal Caribbean's insurance more frequently because it does have the 75% cancel for any reason. You don't pay for it until final payment, so you don't have to purchase it within 14 days of initial deposit like other insurances. Having said that, I have used other companies for specific reasons. Most notably, we cruised with my Navy pilot son and I found a policy that would cover us if his leave was cancelled. When the Syria issue broke in 2013 his carrier was the "ready carrier." It was a close call, but luckily he it was resolved. But at least we had the policy if he was recalled and sent. So best advice is find a policy that will cover the most likely event that will cause you to cancel your cruise.

There WERE other circumstances. She bought the insurance when she booked the cruise onboard the previous year. Somewhere along the line there was a computer glitch and the insurance was cancelled by RCI. She did not realize it until she needed to use it. Lots of negotiation - they offered her a 75% credit and she took it.

There was blame on both sides. I probably wouldn't have missed it was dropped. She's not a detail person and didn't realize it. I would have held their feet to the fire and insisted on a refund, she was sick and didn't have the energy to fight.

For that reason,as well as cost, I would never buy insurance through them.

Is there such a thing as travel insurance that does not have the medical component? I now that sounds strange but someone in my travel group was asking. They are just looking for the cancellation, flight, travel portions of the coverage.

Is there such a thing as travel insurance that does not have the medical component? I now that sounds strange but someone in my travel group was asking. They are just looking for the cancellation, flight, travel portions of the coverage.

I would call the nice people at Insure My Trip and ask.

Also be sure this person does know that most medical policies at home do NOT cover you outside the US. And I am sure Medicare doesn't either (if that is a factor)

Not trying to mind your business just wanted to be sure that for most people trip insurance (medical) is the most important part of trip imsurance.

I'm sorry to jump in here, but I am clueless in this area.

We are traveling with just two of us, early 40's. I have put a down payment on cruise, but have not yet purchased plane tickets.

Do we wait to purchase insurance until we have purchased plane tickets?

I am checking with insure my trip.com - it says for a cruise, pick your first port, so I guess Bahamas?...(coco-cay)

I guess mostly I'm worried about canceling due to weather delays -going November/December. I see most plans don't reimburse you the whole cost? We are picking the comprehensive options - but we don't want to go crazy and insure everything!

The plans were were looking at are Allianz and Global alert.

Sorry, I'm lost.

Edited by dreday3

Also be sure this person does know that most medical policies at home do NOT cover you outside the US. And I am sure Medicare doesn't either (if that is a factor)

I disagree with this. Most major companies do cover you outside the U.S. Blue Cross Blue Shield certainly does including evacuation to the nearest medical facility.

I was always over insuring myself.

I disagree with this. Most major companies do cover you outside the U.S. Blue Cross Blue Shield certainly does including evacuation to the nearest medical facility.

Oh my! This kind of statement could lead others the believe they are covered when in fact they are not!

My Blue Cross absolutely does not cover anything outside of the U.S. And certainly does not cover medical evacuation, I have Med Jet Assist for that!

Everyone's insurance coverage is different and Most US travelers are not covered by their regular insurance policy. Please check and do not assume!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my! This kind of statement could lead others the believe they are covered when in fact they are not!

My Blue Cross absolutely does not cover anything outside of the U.S. And certainly does not cover medical evacuation, I have Med Jet Assist for that!

Everyone's insurance coverage is different and Most US travelers are not covered by their regular insurance policy. Please check and do not assume!

Like everyone else, I always thought that I wasn't insured outside of the U.S. and read something like the above statement saying most major insurance companies do cover you. So I called (I have Blue Cross) and they DO cover me.

So rather than have any unpleasant surprises, give your insurance company a call and ask. Nobody on this board can tell you what you have or don't have.

I always get evac insurance - that was not covered under my plan

Edited by MS52

Thanks in advance.

Melissa

We find the third party policies to be less expensive. Travel insurance is based on age, so eventually you will get to a point where cruise line insurance (which is not age dependent) becomes less expensive.

When you are getting quotes, remember to subtract taxes and fees from your cruise cost. They will be refunded to you if you have to cancel the cruise.

I would call the nice people at Insure My Trip and ask.

Not trying to mind your business just wanted to be sure that for most people trip insurance (medical) is the most important part of trip imsurance.

I disagree. Medicare won't cover you out of the US, but most large insurers do provide emergency medical coverage anywhere out of the US. Just check your policy. The reason for travel insurance on a cruise, is generally for medical EVACUATION costs.

Edited by Coralc

Needless to say everyone has a different answer ... Do not accept advice given by the most well meaning posters. This is too important to not carefully check out your own medical policy and make sure you have coverage that meets your needs.

Major companies may cover you outside of the USA, but you have to pay your bill up front and then get the compensation yourself from your insurer.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There WERE other circumstances. She bought the insurance when she booked the cruise onboard the previous year. Somewhere along the line there was a computer glitch and the insurance was cancelled by RCI. She did not realize it until she needed to use it. Lots of negotiation - they offered her a 75% credit and she took it.

There was blame on both sides. I probably wouldn't have missed it was dropped. She's not a detail person and didn't realize it. I would have held their feet to the fire and insisted on a refund, she was sick and didn't have the energy to fight.

For that reason,as well as cost, I would never buy insurance through them.

That makes more sense. I'm sorry to hear of the glitch. I was surprised when you said she only got 75% cruise credit. At least she was able to get that. Not much solace, but better than complete denial. I can't imagine how discouraging it is to have to go through a major medical issue only to find that the insurance you thought you purchased was dropped. Seems Royal has had more than one computer "glitch." May be time for a new IT person.

A few insurance hints:

While the comparative insurance sites on the Internet are a good way to shop, call the insurance company DIRECTLY and review the policy coverage with them. The cost will be the same directly or through the Internet brokerage.

I was given a wrong interpretation of a policy clause by an Insure My Trip customer service representative. I'm glad I called the company directly to verify the information or I would have purchased something that was not suitable for my needs.

Medical evacuation, although covered by travel insurance, may not be what you think it is. Most often it is to a hospital that the insurance company deems appropriate, not the one of your choice or even at your home.

For this reason I have an annual policy with MedJet Assist which bypasses the regular travel insurance company. If your personal physician requires you to be in a hospital at your home and the treating physician clears you for evacuation, they do it. AARP members get a nice discount

I had a horrible experience several years ago with a very expensive and "highly rated" travel insurance company who refused to evacuate my DH even though they were fully aware that the hospital he was in was inadequate to treat him. They refused to communicate with his personal physician or to set up an interpreted conference between the treating physician and the personal physician. The policy stated that they will do this. What they didn't state was that the treating physician (who didn't speak English) had to request it. The insurance company refused my request to notify the treating physician of the clause.

ALL medical decisions, other than direct treatment, were being made by a paramedic in the employ of the insurance company. It is up to the insurance company whether or not they will evacuate you and they are not in business to spend money.

Even if you have personal insurance that covers you in foreign countries, there is a difference in primary and secondary coverage. With secondary coverage you pay the bills and then submit the claims to your company. If the insurance is primary, you can request that they pay the bill and, when you get home, you submit the bills to your personal coverage to reimburse the travel insurance company. Medicare is not good outside of the United States.

These are some reasons why I urge everyone to speak to the actual insurance company for clarification of the policy clauses that concern you the most. Use the online comparison sites to shop, but make certain you know what you are buying.

Also, most reputable insurance companies will give you a full refund within a week if, once you carefully read the policy, you find it's not what you need.

Please for the good of all reading share the name of the company whose policy you purchased. Save us from what happened to you!

Travel Guard. They were horrible. I was given the name of a woman in the RCI home office in Miami who was of great assistance. It was she who fought with Travel Guard to get us home.

When he was finally cleared for travel, I overheard the doctor request that DH fly first class, yet the paramedic got him a ticket in business. When I questioned this, the paramedic (who worked for the insurance company), told me that HE didn't think it was medically necessary. It didn't matter what the doctor wanted, the paramedic has the final say.

To add insult to injury, even though we had the same insurance coverage, and they knew that I was his primary caregiver, they put me in coach.

I just purchased a plan through the (insuremytrip) web site. I liked the price and coverage quoted by Nationwide. Be mind full that age is a factor in the cost. Also most credit cards offer some form of coverage for Trip interruption, cancellation, and baggage coverage.

I think Medical coverage is often an over looked by younger travelers. Even simple rolled ankles, or laceration could be expensive.

I'm a Paramedic in Ohio. When we place someone on a Medical Helicopter the bill will be $12,000 to $20,000 dollars to fly over 2 Counties to a Trauma Center. Can not imagine the cost by plane for a Medical Evacuation. Hope we never need it.

Edited by Medic5emt

• 4 weeks later...

Hi GTO-Girl,

First, Medicare does not cover outside the United States except in a few rare situations.

The Original Medicare Plan does not cover health care when you travel outside the United States, except for some emergency situations in Mexico and Canada. Go here to learn about your options for getting coverage.

In rare cases, Medicare can pay for inpatient hospital services that you get in Canada or Mexico. Medicare can pay only if:

- You are in the United States when a medical emergency occurs and the Canadian or Mexican hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

- You are traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

- You live in the United States and the Canadian or Mexican hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists.

Important Information About Medigap Policies C, D, E, F, G, H, I & J

Your Medigap (Medicare Supplement) plan may provide worldwide coverage benefits for health care needs when you travel outside the United States. Medigap policies C, D, E, F, G, H, I & J provide Foreign Travel Emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the United States. Under these plans, Medigap policies pay for 80% of the cost of emergency care during the first 60 days of each trip after you pay the $250 deductible. Foreign Travel Emergency coverage with Medigap policies have a lifetime limit of $50,000.

You should check with your Medicare Supplement plan prior to traveling outside of the United States regarding your worldwide coverage benefits. Your Medicare Supplement plan will either tell you:

- “We pay whatever Medicare won’t pay, subject to deductibles & copays.” or

- “If Medicare’s not obligated to pay, we won’t pay either.”

Here’s why you’ll want to know how your Medigap plan pays:

- If your Medigap plan has a lifetime limit of $50,000 of medical benefits paid, I suggest you get a trip cancellation travel insurance plan that has Primary (aka “First Payer”) Travel Medical coverage. That way if you have a medical claim you are not using part of your lifetime limit.

- But, if your Medigap plan supplements (gives you more than the $50,000 lifetime limit), I suggest you get a trip cancellation travel insurance plan that has Secondary (aka “Excess”) Travel Medical coverage.

Next, the person could have a retiree health plan. The outside the USA coverage varies from nothing to everything. The only way to know for sure is to call your insurance company and ask this:

“If I get hit by a cement truck in _______ (any non-US destination), how much will I have to pay out of pocket?”

Plus, asking “If I get hit by a cement truck in the non-US destination, how much will I have to pay out of pocket?” reveals exactly what your deductibles and copays are.

If you just ask, “Am I covered by my insurance in the ________?” and they say “Yes”, that tells you nothing of any value.

No matter what answer the rep gives you, ask them to show you where in your plan’s Description of Coverage they are finding the answer for your future reference.

As for anyone not on Medicare, the only way to know for sure about your non-US (or in some cases out-of-state) coverage is to call your insurance company and ask the same questions about getting hit by a cement truck.

I hope this helps,

Steve