RCI Scrap Dynamic Dining

As we are off on the Anthem in June I'm curious about this. I keep seeing the four dining venues mentioned for possible rotational dining, according to my cruise personaliser there are closer to 10.

Which four venues are you suggesting will rotate?

Please post a link to the announcement, as that is much better to pass around. Cut-and-pasting often leads to copyright problems.

It's from that "blog website" that gets blocked if you try to post the link. ;)

Please post a link to the announcement, as that is much better to pass around. Cut-and-pasting often leads to copyright problems.

It is clipped from the 'same' source where a facebook post and a CC thread were used to post a news story about the new 'rotational dining'

The Brand Communications Manager quoted in the blog was onboard the maiden voyage of Quantum.

This manager is in contradiction with what another manager had been reported to say that DD was not being expanded to other ships in the fleet.

DD dining was a way to force you into paying for dinner.We will not sale on any Royal ship without a MDR or one that has DD dining.That is our opinion.:mad:

How does offering four complementary dining options, five if you are in a suite, instead of one MDR force you into paying for dinner?

I hope they aren't scrapping it. I felt embarassed after the 2 D+ cruisers harassing Captain Gus for 30 minutess at the end of the Captains talk. Their biggest complaint was that DD was different from traditional dining -- of course it is. RCI always claimied the ship was different. Stop complaining and go somewhere else. Don't act surprised when Quantum is different and DD is not traditional dining.

I guess RCI can try to satisify these "Rigid Diners (RD);" however I suggest one of their may traditional dining ships for these whiners.

~Sin

Enbarassed D+

The problem is that RCCL was trying to expand the D/D to the rest of the fleet. The D/D is a cost cutting feature that RCCL is trying to implement. The people who are D+, like me as well, made RCCL what it is today and we are not going to accept this dining option at all.

I have spoken to people who have sailed on the Quantum and have read the horror stories on various blogs. Bottom line, regardless of what anybody thinks about D/D, RCCL is not going to be stupid enough to piss off the D+ people that made them what they are today and accordingly D/D will just end up a bad decision and nothing more than a fleeting thought. :cool:

It is just kind of funny, your interpretation of 30 minutes of harassment - Gus, is the Captain and he could have excused himself, turned and walked at any given minute. So, the D+ were either in the Royal Suite or contrary to everyone's belief, D+ thoughts are a real and true concern for RCCL.

The problem is that RCCL was trying to expand the D/D to the rest of the fleet. The D/D is a cost cutting feature that RCCL is trying to implement. The people who are D+, like me as well, made RCCL what it is today and we are not going to accept this dining option at all.

I have spoken to people who have sailed on the Quantum and have read the horror stories on various blogs. Bottom line, regardless of what anybody thinks about D/D, RCCL is not going to be stupid enough to piss off the D+ people that made them what they are today and accordingly D/D will just end up a bad decision and nothing more than a fleeting thought. :cool:

It is just kind of funny, your interpretation of 30 minutes of harassment - Gus, is the Captain and he could have excused himself, turned and walked at any given minute. So, the D+ were either in the Royal Suite or contrary to everyone's belief, D+ thoughts are a real and true concern for RCCL.

Yes we all know how much RCI values it's loyalty members with the continual erosion of benefits. Get used to DD it's here to stay in some form or another.

I would consider a Quantum Class ship with Rotational Dining. Not Dynamic.

I would be interested in seeing how many people will choose Rotational (a one time selection) over Dynamic (requiring you to select a restaurant and time for every night). Personally I think a majority of first time cruisers and first time on the ship, would go with the Rotational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel the same way too -- and it will be interesting to see how many folks would choose Classic and how many would choose DD -- with demographics etc.

I would consider a Quantum Class ship with Rotational Dining. Not Dynamic.

I would be interested in seeing how many people will choose Rotational (a one time selection) over Dynamic (requiring you to select a restaurant and time for every night). Personally I think a majority of first time cruisers and first time on the ship, would go with the Rotational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this is interesting...

Avid DD haters being ok with rotational, which forces you to change venues every night, forces you to a new table you don't have a choice of selecting, forces to sit in a different chair facing maybe the wrong direction you don;t want to face, forces you to a menu of a venue you may not like (ie. Silk)... the only thing the same are the waiters and the people you sit with.

Now let's compare this with a true DD... If I personally choose DD I can do EXACTLY what you are doing and follow you around from venue to venue. I have the exact same meals, exact same menus, exact same experience... other than meeting new people each night and having a different waiter. I too can choose the exact same time every night by just showing up at the venue I choose and sitting with others.

Can someone explain to me and justify how rotational is so much better than DD? I'm not being mean here, I am genuinely confused and curious.

:eek:

Well, if you elect to eat at Mickey D's that is your option to do so. But, I don't and I wont... I spent quite a bit of money cruising: Grand suites, Owner Suites, The Royal Suite, and next a Crown Loft Suite. If I sail upon a vessel, you can be assured that I have No interest in eating a cold meal at the dining table, with new subpar offerings.

Sorry if this offends you, but, one gets what one pays for and my standards appear to be just a little higher than others, on some of these threads.

Apparently, RCCL has realized, that this is an issue as well. Last week, when earnings reports for RCCL came out, the CEO was doing a little back peddling. When he had to report that RCCL missed their expected earnings and now has to answer to the stockholders. Seeing as though I am a stock holder, I can claim "my fleet"... believe it or not, a stock holder is an owner in the company and just may set the bar a little higher than others. Thank you for respecting my right to have an opinion. :)

Well this is interesting...

Avid DD haters being ok with rotational, which forces you to change venues every night, forces you to a new table you don't have a choice of selecting, forces to sit in a different chair facing maybe the wrong direction you don;t want to face, forces you to a menu of a venue you may not like (ie. Silk)... the only thing the same are the waiters and the people you sit with.

Now let's compare this with a true DD... If I personally choose DD I can do EXACTLY what you are doing and follow you around from venue to venue. I have the exact same meals, exact same menus, exact same experience... other than meeting new people each night and having a different waiter. I too can choose the exact same time every night by just showing up at the venue I choose and sitting with others.

Can someone explain to me and justify how rotational is so much better than DD? I'm not being mean here, I am genuinely confused and curious.

From your cruise history you've never been on Disney. We have (3 cruises) and it works just fine there so it should work on RCI.

From what I can see, people don't like DD because it puts a tremendous burden on the passengers to figure out all the show times and then try to reserve the shows and dining times, lots of work. Then the ressies disappear from the system or the show times are changed. And the links to friends disappear.

Lots of people wanted to sample the new ship, which is a stretched and amped up Celebrity "S" class, which are fine ships. That's all. They were perfectly happy with MTD or Trad dining and didn't need the stress of the poorly implented DD system.

So since the proposal seems to be Trad. Early or Late seating, that will go over fine with the unhappy people, assuming that RCI tweaks the menus to assuage people who can't eat fish or meat or whatever.

I went to the reveal in March 2014 on blustery W. 34th in Manhattan and I, Mr. Picky Eater supreme, tasted all the weird stuff and actually liked most of it. But still, you need basic food choices on each menu for people like me. Which the company probably knows and will implement. They have to, they thought of the idea of 4 small MDRs on this class of ship with 4,100 passengers.

Living in Florida it is a no brainer for us for now. We will not fly to a cruise out of Bayonne, did enough of those when we lived in Metro NY. When a Q class ship comes to Port Everglades, then we'll try it, assuming they expand dining choices to something other then this woefully rolled out DD, whether it is Traditional or "Classic Rotational. The Millennials can have DD and we'll have ours. See, all the customers will be happy.

<edit> The guy who posted above me likes suites and is a shareholder in RCCL. I only go in balconies and was a shareholder until 3 days before the earnings report. After reading of the problems with DD and the mechanical problems with some of the older ships, I dumped my RCL shares and bought more Apple shares. Good move on both ends. Apple makes fine products and RCL has a "crack" IT team.:eek: And that's a joke, son.

Edited by The Big Booper

The D/D is a cost cutting feature that RCCL is trying to implement.

Really!? So DD is all about trying to save money, and has nothing to do either increasing revenues or responding to customers requests?

The people who are D+, like me as well, made RCCL what it is today and we are not going to accept this dining option at all.

Ahhh, I see. Possibly one of the more arrogant statements that can be made.

Well, if you elect to eat at Mickey D's that is your option to do so. But, I don't and I wont... I spent quite a bit of money cruising: Grand suites, Owner Suites, The Royal Suite, and next a Crown Loft Suite. If I sail upon a vessel, you can be assured that I have No interest in eating a cold meal at the dining table, with new subpar offerings.

Sorry if this offends you, but, one gets what one pays for and my standards appear to be just a little higher than others, on some of these threads.

Apparently, RCCL has realized, that this is an issue as well. Last week, when earnings reports for RCCL came out, the CEO was doing a little back peddling. When he had to report that RCCL missed their expected earnings and now has to answer to the stockholders. Seeing as though I am a stock holder, I can claim "my fleet"... believe it or not, a stock holder is an owner in the company and just may set the bar a little higher than others. Thank you for respecting my right to have an opinion. :)

You are eating at Mc D's!! That's what Royal, NCL, CCL are all about.... mass market. Sounds like you want a Mercedes for the price of a Chevrolet. You should be sailing on Regent or Seabourn. What are you doing on RCCL?

From your cruise history.... See, all the customers will be happy.

Nothing you said even remotely answered my basic question of my post. You should be a politican lol (Maybe you are politician) :p

Btw, look at my signature closer... I just came off of Quantum and loved DD. DD worked for me exactly, and I do mean EXACTLY, like My Time Dining on all current ships with the slight difference that I dont walk up to the MDR... the only difference being I choose which restaurant I walk up to.

DD = My Time ... except you choose which restaurant you want to eat at. Simple as that.

You are eating at Mc D's!! That's what Royal, NCL, CCL are all about.... mass market. Sounds like you want a Mercedes for the price of a Chevrolet. You should be sailing on Regent or Seabourn. What are you doing on RCCL?

Mickey D just dumped the CEO after years of poor planning and improvements that didn't work out. RCCL just kicked Adam G up to the corporate office and moved Braley over from Celebrity to right the listing mother ship.

Nothing you said even remotely answered my basic question of my post. You should be a politican lol (Maybe you are politician) :p

Btw, look at my signature closer... I just came off of Quantum and loved DD. DD worked for me exactly, and I do mean EXACTLY, like My Time Dining on all current ships with the slight difference that I dont walk up to the MDR... the only difference being I choose which restaurant I walk up to.

DD = My Time ... except you choose which restaurant you want to eat at. Simple as that.

Glad it worked for you. People I know have been on Q and said that the stress of lining up all the dining took away some of the fun from the cruise and they won't be doing any RCI ship again where DD is the only choice.

Edited by The Big Booper

Mickey D just dumped the CEO after years of poor planning and improvements that didn't work out. RCCL just kicked Adam G up to the corporate office and moved Braley over from Celebrity to right the listing mother ship.

So "Mr. Politician" :p what you're saying is that Mc D's (Royal) will now be offering gourmet roasted coffee & 100% certified Angus beef (trying to emulate a higher priced luxury cruise line)? Mc D's did just that... and it's still Mc D's!! The original poster should be on Regent or Seabourn as that would suit his needs for upper class distinction which he will never ever get on any mass market cruise line like Royal. He's fighting a 100% losing battle.

Edited by Hoopster95

Glad it worked for you. People I know have been on Q and said that the stress of lining up all the dining took away some of the fun from the cruise and they won't be doing any RCI ship again where DD is the only choice.

Lol!! You still have not answered the question I asked. Please answer the question if you have the personal experience of both styles of dining as I definitely have had.

Also read all the reviews from the Jan 3 cruise onward by the many experienced cruisers (like famous and loved CC'er Radio whom everyone knows and respects) claiming that things seemed to be so much better, no lines, no issues whatsoever, with predominantly much better quality than the average MDR. Not my words, his. There's other live reviews on saying this as well.

From what I can see, people don't like DD because it puts a tremendous burden on the passengers to figure out all the show times and then try to reserve the shows and dining times, lots of work.

You may wish to read a bit more. There is no significant extra burden on passengers with DD than with MTD (yes, they will also have to choose a venue, but that doesn't change the impact on arrangements with other entertainment or amenities on the ship).

Then the ressies disappear from the system or the show times are changed. And the links to friends disappear.

Seems like it is more a technical issue than it is an issue specific to DD.

Lots of people wanted to sample the new ship, which is a stretched and amped up Celebrity "S" class, which are fine ships. That's all.

Not sure what the layout, architecture, or builder of the ship has to do with DD.

They were perfectly happy with MTD or Trad dining and didn't need the stress of the poorly implented DD system.

Maybe you were perfectly happy, but it is awfully arrogant to assume that others are equally has happy.

So since the proposal seems to be Trad. Early or Late seating, that will go over fine with the unhappy people, assuming that RCI tweaks the menus to assuage people who can't eat fish or meat or whatever.

Similar appearance of arrogance.

I went to the reveal in March 2014 on blustery W. 34th in Manhattan and I, Mr. Picky Eater supreme, tasted all the weird stuff and actually liked most of it. But still, you need basic food choices on each menu for people like me. Which the company probably knows and will implement. They have to, they thought of the idea of 4 small MDRs on this class of ship with 4,100 passengers.

(See above, as it will only be a repeat)

Living in Florida it is a no brainer for us for now. We will not fly to a cruise out of Bayonne, did enough of those when we lived in Metro NY. When a Q class ship comes to Port Everglades, then we'll try it, assuming they expand dining choices to something other then this woefully rolled out DD, whether it is Traditional or "Classic Rotational. The Millennials can have DD and we'll have ours. See, all the customers will be happy.

Whatever.

Look, you have to choose what fits your budget and vacation style/needs are. Making statements that either imply or directly state that your preferences are more important, that those opinions are a majority, or that others are insignificant is, well, arrogant.

I have been sailing RCCL & HAL since 1993. RCL has made some very poor choices over the past 4 -5 years. If one voices their concerns about said subjects, and enough people voice their concerns (even to the shipboard Captains) or as some have even done; i.e. canceled booked cruises, that draws the needed attention to correct such deficiencies and apparently a combination or series of events has occurred to accommodate the needs of the people who actually take pride in sailing the RCCL and are not interested in the mass market scheme i.e. doing away with the Ice Skating rink to accommodate bumper cars - If I wanted to go to a carnival, I would so, but I am going on a cruise to cruise. :)