Celebrity is pushing us away again, no fresh oj?!

Wj420

One wonders what will be next....there seems to be no end to cost cutting. Surely on our next cruise they will be asking "how many pool towels would you like to rent today"

This kind of tells you where the direction the new suite restaurant is likely to head quickly.....modern luxury = frozen orange juice! Fresh berries must be close behind.....

Edited by ghstudio

While I don't care if X has fresh squeezed OJ or not, it is disappointing to see something that many people do like being taken away. I am sure with the so many having drink packages that the cost of the fresh oranges and related cost climbed quite a bit. But then again, so has the price of the cruise including the drink packages.

I hope they don't start only offering generic cola rather than Coke with the drink packages. Now that would start a riot on the ships. :D

We accept the cutbacks. We understand things change. But completely taking fresh orange juice off the ships? Modern luxury includes fresh juice! We have three trips booked on celebrity in the next two years but will need to rebook at Oceania. We have standards. These same standards made Celebrity our favorite cruise line for the last 5 years. Sad to think its time to upgrade again.

What ship? We had it on the Equinox, the machine was at the bar just as we entered the Oceanview. They had boxes n boxes of oranges stacked to keep refilling the machine.

Is this something that just happened in the past few days?

Each one of us has a series of things we enjoy about sailing Celebrity

Exactly. What one person loves, another considers unimportant or trivial. Fresh-squeezed juice is a rare treat for me...and a little luxury I don't usually allow myself at home for health/calorie reasons. Was so looking fwd to that splurge when I heard that Celebrity included in classic pkg - almost more than the alcohol. Almost :)

They could take every decadent dessert people rave about or every deep-friend whatever, and toss it all and I wouldn't miss any of it. But I wouldn't mock anyone who would miss their favorite cookie, muffin, etc.....I'd understand that's their "thing".

To me the troubling part is that Celebrity is selling "fresh squeezed orange juice" when in fact it is from concentrate.

Seems dishonest to me.

There have been many threads recently about the decline in food quality. Like the poster who said that the eggs in Blu are now powdered and not fresh eggs.

We convinced friends to come on a cruise with us, and not I'm worried that my glowing reviews of how great the food was might come back to bite me.

These cuts might seem minor but they do add up and effect the over experience of the cruise.

Celebrity are you listening.

Of course they do, it's processed, sugar added inmost cases, to win a taste test. Most people don't sail Celebrity either.

It's disappointing to me, we notice the differences, we're also looking at more premium lines as too many changes and too many slips and the value proposition (scales as a previous posters so well described it) has tipped away from Celebrity. It's a balance we continue to evaluate on every sailing.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

On jan 11 sailing Silhouette we ordered fresh squeezed every morning on Aqua menu (also grapefruit juice). It was definitely fresh from room service.

Perhaps it is not in buffet anymore but they have the machines in the kitchen

I do agree in principle that if Celebrity takes away so many amenities that we are used to it makes the cruiseline less appealing. We have looked elsewhere for alternatives although we prefer Celebrity.

Oceania for example such a different vibe besides being more expensive

Yes you can get fresh OJ but there is NO hot breakfast from room service unless you are in Concierge class or above believe it or not

Princess had the worst breakfasts from room service and couldn't drink the coffee while Celebrity coffee improved. Celebrity entertainment this time was better.

Sorry host Anne's experience was different. I don't doubt her perceptions at all.

Carnival yuck food. So different from years ago

There are changes in most lines. It still comes down to what is most important to you.

But please don't assume that the other lines are still the same as they were years ago and that they have no cuts

And don't assume that a person's bad experience will be yours

I had a bad experience on a line mostly due to problems of the cabin and interactions with 2 guest relations people. If my cabin had no defects like the closet door hadn't fallen out on my foot and I hadn't gotten locked in the bathroom it wouldn't have colored my whole sailing. I can see how others love oceania.

Judge the line for yourself comparing it with RECENT sailing on other lines

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. It may have turned browner

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by true45

Op, what ship and when? Can Celebrity confirm this to be true?

Are there going to be pages and pages of comments for an unconfirmed rumor?

On Reflection Jan. 17 - 24: and it is more than an eye roll$$$ for us. We asked for juice twice, thinking that maybe it was just us as the first day it sure did not taste like fresh juice but no the second time, same orange liquid.

Will it stop us from sailing Celebrity - no but how much more are they going to trim? I know trivial to some but to others a big deal.

true45,

"I do agree in principle that if Celebrity takes away so many amenities that we are used to it makes the cruiseline less appealing. We have looked elsewhere for alternatives although we prefer Celebrity. "

And the ultimate principle many cruisers use is amenities or itinerary, or cost per day on any cruise? Thank you for your opinion on the various cruise lines. What I find interesting are the posters who want to bolt to a "higher" price cruise line based on a particular food or drink?

Does one look at a cruise as an all inclusive resort, a floating hotel, or a relaxing way to get to point a, b, c, d, etc without the hassle of various hotels, ground transportation, where to eat each night....etc ?

I see a cruise as a floating hotel, much more interested in the itinerary and then the per day price point.

In looking at other lines, I read their particular forums. Same old complaints about reduced service , tough steaks etc. Now reading about the new cruiseline Viking Ocean has been fun. As they get closer to the maiden vovage the pre cruise information and lack there of seems to be the big topic, same as many posts here on Celebrity.

Edited by Azulann

We sailed Reflection on Nov 15. Between the start of the week and the end of the week, I noticed a definite change in the "fresh-squeezed" juice. It was really good at the start of week (definitely fresh-squeezed) and by the last day or two, had changed in look, taste, texture - tasted like it was from concentrate.

My guess is with all the drink packages - people are going kind of crazy with the fresh juice. I know DH and I each had 2 to 3 each morning with breakfast.

I am shaking my head on this one! If fresh OJ determines how you pick a cruise, then I have been doing it wrong for a long time! :confused:

Makes me think of that Prego commercial, "what other bad choices have I made?"!!

Edited by Mangomom77

Well, now we know why they are doing away with fresh squeezed orange juice. . .

no...the cost of the orange juice is/was as well known as the price of alcohol when they priced the drink packages.

This is no different than trying to reduce each type of alcohol to one house brand on the classic package....it's just cost cutting, assuming passengers either won't notice or won't care.

Get ready for free ice cream to go away as a cost cutting/profit increasing change.....it's inevitable as is a fee for the toppings.

true45,

"I do agree in principle that if Celebrity takes away so many amenities that we are used to it makes the cruiseline less appealing. We have looked elsewhere for alternatives although we prefer Celebrity. "

And the ultimate principle many cruisers use is amenities or itinerary, or cost per day on any cruise? Thank you for your opinion on the various cruise lines. What I find interesting are the posters who want to bolt to a "higher" price cruise line based on a particular food or drink?

Does one look at a cruise as an all inclusive resort, a floating hotel, or a relaxing way to get to point a, b, c, d, etc without the hassle of various hotels, ground transportation, where to eat each night....etc ?

I see a cruise as a floating hotel, much more interested in the itinerary and then the per day price point.

In looking at other lines, I read their particular forums. Same old complaints about reduced service , tough steaks etc. Now reading about the new cruiseline Viking Ocean has been fun. As they get closer to the maiden vovage the pre cruise information and lack there of seems to be the big topic, same as many posts here on Celebrity.

I'll check out Viking ocean too

I do look at the bigger picture here too

Cruise itinerary, amenities, extras to

Pay for, entertainment etc

And I price out land vacations I want to take air, gas, car rental hotel & meals & almost every time a cruise is a better deal

In the big picture OJ may not be important but tomorrow the balance can tip against celebrity

For now I'm still in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by true45

no...the cost of the orange juice is/was as well known as the price of alcohol when they priced the drink packages.

This is no different than trying to reduce each type of alcohol to one house brand on the classic package....it's just cost cutting, assuming passengers either won't notice or won't care.

Get ready for free ice cream to go away as a cost cutting/profit increasing change.....it's inevitable as is a fee for the toppings.

I beg to differ. . .yes, the cost is known but the amount of consumption is not! I cannot imagine drinking three glasses of Orange juice at one sitting considering the caloric intake, plus if I drank that much I'd be so full I wouldn't need any breakfast! You also read a lot here about people ordering drinks 'just to try them since they're free and if I don't like it I just throw it away'. All of that contributes to excess cost that has to be made up somewhere. Easy for me to say as I have never had and never want to have a drink package, do not need any incentive to drink that much. Of anything .

We accept the cutbacks. We understand things change. But completely taking fresh orange juice off the ships? Modern luxury includes fresh juice! We have three trips booked on celebrity in the next two years but will need to rebook at Oceania. We have standards. These same standards made Celebrity our favorite cruise line for the last 5 years. Sad to think its time to upgrade again.

There's fresh OJ.... why do you think there isn't?

I remember some poster insisted that the eggs served in Blu were powdered once.... :p:p pure nonsense. :D

We haven't been on celebrity yet, cruise Alaska in June. So probably won't notice as many changes as seasoned cruises though I'm already missing the chocolates every night and Fresh Cut Flowers, lol!

I do understand, however trivial, how one little tiny thing, not important to most can cause you to check out another product. I agree there are changes on all cruise companies, but if too many things are taken away but prices are lower, people are going to shop around and compare!

We don't drink OJ at home or my favorite Cranberry due to calories, sugar content, etc. But, my husband loves one good glass of OJ on vacation with breakfast. He might not notice, since we are new, but if that is an important part of your morning routine, that would stink for you.

I think we need to give the OP a break. If she does look elsewhere, being intelligent, realistic people, we all know darn well its not just about the OJ!!!

Edited by lovetotraveltx
spelling error

How many tons of fresh oranges would need to be delivered each week, to each ship, to satisfy 3000 people with fresh squeezed OJ? What do you do with the depleted squeezed oranges after you are finished- dump them in the ocean or pay to drop them off at each successive port on the schedule with the large amount of daily trash? I can live with or without fresh squeezed OJ in the AM- just wondering if in the future more decisions will be made as far as drinks & foods that will be based on the volume / space needed to transport & get rid of those products fresh vs frozen/concentrate?:( Charlie