Celebrity is pushing us away again, no fresh oj?!

Wj420

I enjoyed the fresh squeezed grapefruit juice everyday on our cruise last year. It was a real treat, and felt like 'modern luxury' to me.

I'll be sad if it's not available but will surely still have a great cruise.

I don't care if the steaks are tough, I've never ordered one on a cruise. Each person has the things that are important to them. If they all disappear maybe fewer people will be cruising ........

I dont think anyone would leave a cruise line because they don't have freshly squeezed orange juice any more than they would leave because the bar didn't carry blanton's bourbon. These types of statements as said by others in this thread are the result of many other "little" things and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Those who are taking the OP literally and responding with snide comments are missing the message.

I'm looking forward to Celebrity Cruises findings (thank you for your post...glad you're looking into it). I'd rather know the truth than watch everyone beat a rumor to death.

On Reflection Jan. 17 - 24: and it is more than an eye roll$$$ for us. We asked for juice twice, thinking that maybe it was just us as the first day it sure did not taste like fresh juice but no the second time, same orange liquid.

Will it stop us from sailing Celebrity - no but how much more are they going to trim? I know trivial to some but to others a big deal.

Can I ask what venue you were at when you were served the orange drink?

I agree that if things start getting out of control with amenities being removed we may have to reconsider our choice in cruiselines. That would be a shame, since Celebrity worked so hard to attract us. We were new to Celebrity and like what they offer.

At the same time I've learned not to over react to every message, especially when the come from people with low post counts and very little information is provided. No offense to anyone, but if you just drop a negative and leave I don't know how much I can trust the information.

Ice in buckets

Chocolates on our pillows

Cotton balls

Q-tips

Fresh quizzed OJ (maybe)

What's next,......?!

If they remove (description removed so they are not all eaten on my next cruise) from the buffet and Blu it will be the tipping point. It was hard enough not having towel animals like on our NCL cruise. :)

Being slightly more serious, so if it's frozen/NOT from concentrate its closer to what we drink at home. That can work for me. But the better not get rid of the punch drink in the buffet and at the pool.

I can't help it, I think the punch drink is yummy!

As long as there are oranges on Celebrity I can make like MacGyver and squeeze my own juice. Less Modern Luxury, more Dual Survivor. There are no problems, only challenges.

Too funny: does anyone remember those old electric juicers from the late '70s? You'd twist in like 15 oranges and your wrist would give out before you could even fill 1/8 of a cup :D

I admit now I'm just curious - what the heck could be the diff between free frozen juice and frozen juice that costs $3? Seems wacky to sell AND give away diff versions of frozen juice. :D

I talked to the RM on the Connie about this last night. About 3 weeks ago Celebrity switched and now their "fresh squeezed" OJ is made from frozen concentrate. They still charge extra for it. It tastes very similar to the free OJ. Major cost cutting move.

Agreed, quite a departure from the 'modern luxury' experience.

So....I'm assuming that the fresh squeezed grapefruit juice is also gone? That would really make me sad. :(

As both came from the same machines, I can't imagine they'd have one squeezed and not the other.

Really makes me sad too.

I admit now I'm just curious - what the heck could be the diff between free frozen juice and frozen juice that costs $3? Seems wacky to sell AND give away diff versions of frozen juice. :D

There isn't a free orange juice. The free drink from those dispensers is not frozen, but a concentrated flavoured concoction, with water added.

Edited by The_Big_M

I talked to the RM on the Connie about this last night. About 3 weeks ago Celebrity switched and now their "fresh squeezed" OJ is made from frozen concentrate. They still charge extra for it. It tastes very similar to the free OJ. Major cost cutting move.

That's a shame. One of my favorite things on vacation is fresh squeezed OJ. I don't take the time to do it at home and really enjoy it with breakfast. :(

The machines that squeezed the oranges have been removed. If you order OJ it comes from a large plastic container. Asked in Blu and yes it is not squeezed there but "is still fresh squeezed"- not sure how that works.

I see that in some restaurants around here. The juice was fresh squeezed before it was pasteurized and then bottled (or just squeezed then bottled). But then it took the bottle a few days to reach the restaurant and may have sat in a cooler for a few days until it was needed.

Just finished a week long cruise on the Silhouette and there was no freshly squeezed orange juice in the Oceanview Cafe. I saw that freshly squeezed OJ was on the room service menu so I ordered it (and was charged $7 even with the Premium Drink Package!) and I can tell you that it was definitely not freshly squeezed. This alone won't affect my decision to sail with Celebrity again but combined with other disappointments it's a factor.

Just finished a week long cruise on the Silhouette and there was no freshly squeezed orange juice in the Oceanview Cafe. I saw that freshly squeezed OJ was on the room service menu so I ordered it (and was charged $7 even with the Premium Drink Package!) and I can tell you that it was definitely not freshly squeezed. This alone won't affect my decision to sail with Celebrity again but combined with other disappointments it's a factor.

No room service or in room drinks are covered by the package.

I wonder if celebrity realizes that if they put "freshly squeezed orange juice" on a menu....then they better serve "freshly squeezed orange juice" and not some "not from concentrate" pasteurized orange juice. The two do taste different and both are certainly better than what's served for free.

Let's see what Celebrity Cruises says though....I am having difficulty believing they have reduced the quality of something they charge for...

As a charter member of PETF,people for ethical treatment of fruit, I find it disgusting that anyone would squeeze a fruit and then even consider drinking its juices.

I resemble that remark! Some of us really get off on squeezing fruit. Don't knock it it until squeeze it :) And that juice is it's own reward (whatever that means). Met one crewman who spent most of his adult life squeezing fruit...and he told us this was his life long ambition!

Edited by Hlitner

I wonder if celebrity realizes that if they put "freshly squeezed orange juice" on a menu....then they better serve "freshly squeezed orange juice" and not some "not from concentrate" pasteurized orange juice. The two do taste different and both are certainly better than what's served for free.

Let's see what Celebrity Cruises says though....I am having difficulty believing they have reduced the quality of something they charge for...

Agreed, hope it's just an isolated shortage, or some change they're trying which isn't meant to permanently discontinue this.

If I order and pay (not everyone has a free beverage package) for fresh squeezed Orange juice, that is what I expect to receive. OK, if it is no longer being served do not include it on the menu. It should be advertised for what it is and the price should be reduced to a reasonable cost for a concentrate.

Many folks have jokingly commented on this issue, and I can see the funny side of stating that Celebrity is no longer the cruise line of choice now because of the lack of this item. But I think really it is more the fact that bit by bit the little luxuries that we loved are being chipped away at - chocs on pillow, etc. Please Celebrity no more changes unless it is to improve our experience.

If I order and pay (not everyone has a free beverage package) for fresh squeezed Orange juice, that is what I expect to receive. OK, if it is no longer being served do not include it on the menu. It should be advertised for what it is and the price should be reduced to a reasonable cost for a concentrate..

Exactly. There was a big outcry and investigation a while ago when it was discovered that quite a few sushi places were using the cheaper escolar and calling it tuna. Other places got in trouble for claiming higher percentages of meat vs filler in their burgers than they were actually serving. If they were giving away the juice concentrate free, then no issues. But they're selling it. And selling any product based upon a specific claim - fresh-squeezed - then giving customers a lesser grade in actuality - frozen - doesn't seem right.

If the juice has been squeezed from fresh fruit in prime condition, then frozen it may well be in better condition than juice from fruit that has been sitting around for who knows how long. Same argument as for snap frozen veges v stuff sitting in the fridge for days...weeks...