Bringing wine on board

curiouscat

Welcome to Holland America! You are allowed to bring on 1 bottle of wine per person on embarkation only. After that, you will be charged corkage at $18 per bottle.

Smooth Sailing! :) :)

Thanks... So if I bring on 4 bottles for 2 people they will charge me the $18 at the pier for the other 2 bottles even if I drink it in the room ?

CC

From HAL's site:

Revised Policy effective 1/31/15

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

For cruises that both commence and finish in Australia and/or New Zealand, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge. All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

From HAL's site:

Revised Policy effective 1/31/15

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

For cruises that both commence and finish in Australia and/or New Zealand, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge. All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Goodmorning!

KK, did a med cruise 2013 bought wine in each port and at that time no corkage fee. So we will be on a 14 day cruise in March and want to buy wine in ports and pay corkage fee. No problem in regards to that? If so we will purchase a wine package!

Thankyou,

Denise 😊

Sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam B2B western/eastern Carribean Cruise 3/15/2015

Becoming 4Star Mariner

Goodmorning!

KK, did a med cruise 2013 bought wine in each port and at that time no corkage fee. So we will be on a 14 day cruise in March and want to buy wine in ports and pay corkage fee. No problem in regards to that? If so we will purchase a wine package!

Thankyou,

Denise 😊

Becoming 4Star Mariner

KK,

No need to respond to my question. On my IPad your quote from HAL was one long paragraph,so I just assumed that NZ/Australia was 18 yrs. of age for alcohol and only for them they could bring on board wine from ports.

Should of previewed and realized I read it wrong.

Goodmorning!

Thankyou,

Denise 😊

Becoming 4Star Mariner

If you are buying wine in port to drink, you can pay the corkage. If you are buying wine to take home, the ship will store it for you and deliver it to your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

If you are buying wine in port to drink, you can pay the corkage. If you are buying wine to take home, the ship will store it for you and deliver it to your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

Thanks POA1!

I appreciate your responds! That is what I figured. Loved your last detailed writings on the Nieuw. Always looked forward to your daily logs, especially your choices in your wines. Believe it or not I would do research on your wines for our up coming trip on the same 14 day cruise! Thanks again POA1

Sincerely,

Denise

Originally Posted by donaldsc viewpost.gif

Doesn't anyone read their cruise contract or go on the cruise company site? It is all there.

DON

Ouch.. thanks for the welcome...:eek:

CC

You will get comments like that on all cruise forums. There is a good reason for asking a question on a forum - simply because the reality of some passengers' experience can differ from the official policy. Cunard, for example, has a policy which, on its face, is essentially the same as HAL. There is an implication on Cunard's site that the policy is not necessarily enforced, but they reserve the right to do so. The reality is that Cunard permits any amount of wine/spirits/beer. There must be a practical limit, but I have no idea what that is. Although I have never taken more than one bottle of Champagne, I know people who bring an entire case of their favourite wine or scotch, etc. From what I have read on this forum it appears HAL does follow their policy although some passengers have managed to sneak on a bit more.

This will be my first HAL cruise March 22 on Nieuw Amsterdam...

Can u bring wine on board at embarkation? And if so how much ?

TIA

CC

First 2 are free and after that 18.00 per bottle.If you really like certain wines, the Corkage fee is not that expensive compared to buying on board.

Edited by Folk Singer

Princess use to have the most liberal allowance( we use to bring 6 bottles on) until they changed to 2 per person...
A correction - HAL used to have the most liberal allowance. They used to allow unlimited wine brought on board, both at embarkation and in ports. Some passengers brought on cases. The policy eventually changed.

First 2 are free and after that 18.00 per bottle.If you really like certain wines, the Corkage fee is not that expensive compared to buying on board.

Ruth,

You are right it is PP but as I was referring to 2 of us then 2 bottles per cabin per two adults = 2 bottles of wine only.

Nothing in your post indicated you were talking about two people.

It's one per adult (not "per person"; children are not allowed a bottle), so there are as many "free" bottles as there are adults in a cabin---that can be as many as four.

Ouch.. thanks for the welcome...:eek:

CC

Welcome! Feel free to ask any question you want, that's what these boards are for. Despite reading the cruise contract when I book, I find it helpful to get the real low-down from regular average people like ourselves, it makes getting ready for the cruise a little more personal and less stressful. Don't let nasty people and their comments get you down - we are all here to have a good time, dream about our upcoming cruises (booked or not!) and get to know and help one another. We've been on 4 cruises so far, but I still get so many helpful hints on these boards. In almost every crowd there's some nasty jerk with a snarky attitude meant to bring people down - please do your best to disregard them! They are probably just nasty by nature. I say let them have their bad day all to themselves, and if I'm on the same cruise as they are, I don't tolerate being around them, I find someplace else to have a good time. Some people can't even be happy with a good cruise, go figure. :D

Lorie