Collapsible cubes?

happyscmom

I've seen several people mention taking collapsible cubes for organizing stuff in the storage space above the bed. We will be traveling on Reflection in March, so I'm thinking about trying this. Have any of you done this? Is it helpful? What size cubes fit?

I've seen several people mention taking collapsible cubes for organizing stuff in the storage space above the bed. We will be traveling on Reflection in March, so I'm thinking about trying this. Have any of you done this? Is it helpful? What size cubes fit?

You will find the collapsible cube info you are looking for in this thread, along with many interesting and helpful bits of info. Enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772373

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

We read about them on these boards also and brought some for our Dec cruise.

In addition to having 2 cubes above the bed area, we also had one in each night stand and one on the dresser.

We loved them. Nice to place things inside and out of site and helped keep the dresser area nice and tidy.

We bought them at the dollar store, but I picked up some at IKEA and they might be a little more sturdy.

We have never used collapsible cubes but find that packing organizers we purchased from LLBean work perfectly well. These are organizers for suitcases -- mesh zippered top so you can see the contents. Virtually identical products are for sale at Bed Bath & Beyond, REI, Lewis & Clark and so forth. I am short and find that these packing organizers are fine for over the bed storage, and have never needed to purchase any product I would use only for a cruise.

I always bring one, bought it at target. All my toiletries for getting ready are in it & kept in the overhead bed storage, hairbrush, makeup, curlers, deodorant, powder, makes it easy for everything to be at my fingertips & then get put away out of sight...

Loved the CruiseGuy video!

Just packed my collapsible cubes for our cruise later this month. Bought them at Dollar Tree a few years ago. Very handy!

Great! I just bought a few packs of 2 at Dollar General for $4/pack. I think they are the right size, according to the video. Thanks for the feedback.

We bought 4 storage cubes, 2 each, and brought them on our last trip. They worked great and I wish I had brought 2 more. We got them from Target along with a canvas shoe holder to hang in the closet.

One thing to keep in mind is that these items do have some weight to them. 2 might equal a pound. Didn't want to go over limit while packing for an 11 night cruise. I was fine, but still it's a consideration.

I'll look at a dollar store for the next 2, but I give them a thumbs up for use over the bed.

Here they are in use in this video of The Reflection:

We take them on all our Celebrity Sailings. A must have for us!

Because of watching JW's video I didn't loose any socks!:D

We really liked using the cubes for storage over the bed I am short so it was easy to get the cube down and not have to stand on the bed . It really maximized our storage use. I just leave them in the suitcase for the next cruise. They would be great for storing lots of things in the cabin!

I always take those cubes when I'm sailing on an S class ship. I also have some smaller ones that I use on those shelves purporting to be bedside tables. Helps to corral lots of stuff. I find them easy to put up in those cabinets and take down since they have a handle.

At home they serve useful purposes as well. If I'm researching for a European cruise, I have tons of guidebooks out from the library. They get to live in one of those cubes. Other projects can find a home in them as well.

I always bring one, bought it at target. All my toiletries for getting ready are in it & kept in the overhead bed storage, hairbrush, makeup, curlers, deodorant, powder, makes it easy for everything to be at my fingertips & then get put away out of sight...

Hmmm, I keep all that in the very spacious bathroom cabinet. . .

We take one large and one small cubes that are very useful for S Class ships. We use the large one Misc. items and my hubby uses the smaller one for his shades, meds, wallet, change,etc. My E-bags on Eclipse was more useful, due to the limited drawer space.

For people in the Midwest, Menards has those cubes on sale through the 22nd. Two for $7. 6 colors to choose from.

I've never brought them on a cruise before, but we use them in our son's nursery for diapers and other stuff.

They seem to be reasonable quality and I'd imagine they would last many trips.

Next trip we take may just lead to a big pile of diapers on the floor while we are away. :)

cube.jpg.aba8859ab5eb400d92c6c4015aeebb16.jpg

I did not watch the video posted, but i assume it's the same one that was posted to our roll call thread on our last cruise.

In that video - the guy recommended 12x12.

I ended up buying 11x11 from Dollorama and they were the PERFECT size.

I took 4 on our last cruise. Next time, I will take more for use in the closet.

I will even be packing them for when we go to Universal Studios next month. So handy for keeping stuff organized - especially when you are cruising with kids.

We took 6 of them with us on Eclipse in November and they worked great! Put 4 above the bed and two underneath. The 10 1/2 by10 1/2 from Target are the perfect fit even under the bed, which comes in very handy for more storage. And they are perfectly flat in the suitcase and take up no room.

Diane

I did not watch the video posted, but i assume it's the same one that was posted to our roll call thread on our last cruise.

In that video - the guy recommended 12x12.

I ended up buying 11x11 from Dollorama and they were the PERFECT size.

I took 4 on our last cruise. Next time, I will take more for use in the closet.

I will even be packing them for when we go to Universal Studios next month. So handy for keeping stuff organized - especially when you are cruising with kids.

12 X 12 cubes will not fit in the overhead bins. I have one that size and it doesn't fit. I use it for a laundry hamper.

I sent the picture to DW -- we were spoiled on the Legend of the Seas last year. There was tons and tons of usable storage.

We were also amazed at how poor the storage was on the Eclipse.

Here is her response --

Since when did cruising become BYOD?

“bring your own drawers”

We will be going to Target this weekend -- those overheads were almost worthless as-is.

Gotta love Cruise Critic -- great suggestion!!!

THANKS!

Worthless?? Really?? I find them very useful. I make one stack of shorts, one of capris, one of tees, or whatever, when I unpack, and just pick out the one I want to wear each day. It's hard for me to understand all this grousing. . .it may be unconventional but imo at least they are hardly worthless!!

I found the overhead storage on Eclipse difficult to use as a five-footer. Next cruise is on Equinox so I know I will have the same problem again. Can anyone from the UK suggest the best place to find these storage cubes? Thanks in anticipation.