Wine and When We First Cruised.......

sail7seas

Can you imagine this today.......

When we first cruised, we were at tables for six and eight and with people with whom we traveled sometimes and other times with assigned tablemates.

We always shared wine. Someone would purchase wine for the table and all who wished would partake. Next night, someone else took a turn and it continued that way through the cruise.

In these days of carrying on wine, wine packages and whatever, can you imagine strangers seated together buying and sharing wine? It was such a nice custom and made for very pleasant evenings. It was very rare when someone didn't do their part. Of course, those who didn't want or care for wine were fine with not participating.

We still share wine if we are at a group table.

I don't see what carrying it on and paying corkage fee or buying a wine package has to do with anything?

You can still take turns treating if you are so inclined.

Can you imagine this today.......

When we first cruised, we were at tables for six and eight and with people with whom we traveled sometimes and other times with assigned tablemates.

We always shared wine. Someone would purchase wine for the table and all who wished would partake. Next night, someone else took a turn and it continued that way through the cruise.

In these days of carrying on wine, wine packages and whatever, can you imagine strangers seated together buying and sharing wine? It was such a nice custom and made for very pleasant evenings. It was very rare when someone didn't do their part. Of course, those who didn't want or care for wine were fine with not participating.

Why, yes. Yes we can. :)

When we first cruised, we were at tables for six and eight and with people with whom we traveled sometimes and other times with assigned tablemates. We always shared wine. Someone would purchase wine for the table and all who wished would partake. Next night, someone else took a turn and it continued that way through ... It was such a nice custom and made for very pleasant evenings....

Yes, I do recall that as a customary practice back in the 1970s and 1980s on high end ships. We didn't cruise for some years after that, and I was surprised when we returned to cruising that it wasn't so typical any more.

At first, it seemed awkward to me that people didn't even make a gesture to offer to share, but just had the wine steward pour from the bottle only for themselves... assuming I guess if tablemates wanted wine,they would have ordered their own. I got used to it, but we usually continued to offer when the steward brought the wine to the table. It would feel selfish not to.

I wonder if this custom has gradually faded due to the proliferation of specialty dining venues and the "anytime" concept? Decades ago there was one restaurant on board, and you ate with the same group of six or eight for at least seven nights in a row. I also wonder if younger people skip wine entirely. I see people carrying glasses of wine and drinks around the ship and into the dining room, which also would not have been the norm decades ago. Times change. One positive change is the availability of more tables for two, once very scarce, and that's our preference now.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We've done that on several occasions. For tables of 6/8/10 it works better with 2 bottles if everyone wants to participate because then everyone can have a more proper pour without having to worry if everyone will even get some.

But wine in the MDR or PG and sake in Tamarind have been shared many, many times since we started cruising in 2006

I don't see what carrying it on and paying corkage fee or buying a wine package has to do with anything?

Why, yes. Yes we can. :)

I completely agree :D

We only had tables for 4 or 6 when we first cruised. The majority of the people -- on various cruise lines -- did not share their wine.

But I can't imagine how little you each got from 1 bottle split between 6 and 8 people.

KK.... :) Depending how many people, we bought as much wine as needed. One bottle definitely wouldn't go very far. :D

I thought it a gracious and lovely custom. It was 'almost expected' and most were agreeable. If someone doesn't drink wine, of course, that was their choice. They did not purchase any but they did not drink the wine that others purchased.

As to red vs white...... we often had both. :)

Some people seem awkward about it these days. They need to have a 'board meeting' to discuss how/how much/how many..... blah blah blah :)

If we were seated on occasion with someone aside from a 'hosted table', DH was happiest ordering and sharing whatever wine for the evening. He never got into the even/steven business some people subscribe to. :)

I'm happy to read others beside me remember that lovely custom. I was hoping so and is why I started this

thread.

Edited by sail7seas

We've done that on several occasions. For tables of 6/8/10 it works better with 2 bottles if everyone wants to participate because then everyone can have a more proper pour without having to worry if everyone will even get some.

But wine in the MDR or PG and sake in Tamarind have been shared many, many times since we started cruising in 2006

I have the impression you refer only to when you are seated with friends/travel companions. While I include that situation in my question, I mostly wondered about sharing wine with people you first met at the table to which you have been randomly assigned by Dining Room Manager.... ("you" being generic.)

What I remember is more that strangers became friends over bottles of wine at dinner...... certainly friends enjoyed many a lovely evening with each other with wine, as well. :)

WE have been seated with others and if they ordered a bottle of wine, they would generally ask if we would like a glass. We always refuse, because I think they were just being courteous.

On a cruise not so long ago, we encountered a head waiter who were really liked and apparently he like us too, as most nights we would get a free glass. He certainly go a nice tip!

I have the impression you refer only to when you are seated with friends/travel companions. While I include that situation in my question, I mostly wondered about sharing wine with people you first met at the table to which you have been randomly assigned by Dining Room Manager.... ("you" being generic.)

What I remember is more that strangers became friends over bottles of wine at dinner...... certainly friends enjoyed many a lovely evening with each other with wine, as well. :)

Incorrect impression.

We have met many people on many different cruises and kept in contact years after the fact where we didn't know them at all when we boarded. Yes, granted, PG and Tamarind experiences would be us deciding as a group let's go there together as a table as well to continue the fun there too... and sometimes we opted to just have a private evening together. But in the main dining room we have done this (obviously) with friends, but also with "strangers" numerous times.

WE have been seated with others and if they ordered a bottle of wine, they would generally ask if we would like a glass. We always refuse, because I think they were just being courteous.

This is how it usually starts... We'll take them up on it, and then say something like "Thank you. We'll buy tomorrow :) " and it goes from there.

Since my husband doesn't drink wine and I only have one glass at dinner every night, I can't possibly see buying a couple of bottles to share around the table with strangers.

One bottle does me four nights. Conversely I would not want to share in a bottle that was being passed around.

It would be different if we were sailing with a group of friends.

One bottle does me four nights. Conversely I would not want to share in a bottle that was being passed around.

I don't usually mind, but I generally wipe the top with the edge of the table cloth before I take a swig. :D

I usually drink ice tea at dinner, and DH no longer seems to enjoy wine, so there's no problem there. On our last cruise though, we had several bottles of champagne as gifts, so every once in a while we would bring one to share at the table.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I don't usually mind, but I generally wipe the top with the edge of the table cloth before I take a swig. :D

I usually drink ice tea at dinner, and DH no longer seems to enjoy wine, so there's no problem there. On our last cruise though, we had several bottles of champagne as gifts, so every once in a while we would bring one to share at the table.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Thanks for the laugh (assuming you were joking, LOL!:D:D)

I also agree with sapper1 - I drink 1 glass of wine with dinner, DH doesn't like wine. So no, we do no participate in taking turns buying wine. Most people have very different tastes anyway.

Interesting subject. Back in the day, we sailed on Princess and HAL exclusively and always asked for an 8 top, and, when available, a 10 top. There were no dining venues available except the Lido buffet and sometimes the pizzeria on a Princess ship, so the only reason our table was not filled with the same folks would be a late return from an excursion or just not feeling like a full dinner for whatever reason.

Back then we also followed the traditional offering of sharing a bottle of wine with everyone. We stopped doing that when, on a Princess cruise in 1996, on the first night for our table (it was open seating on departure day because the ship was set to sail at 11:00pm) one woman was literally outraged that we would make such an offer. Her beef? She was upset that we would encourage drinking and that we were forcing her and her husband to participate.

When we sailed on the Rotterdam in 1998, another couple at our table ordered a bottle and offered to share, so we did and followed the custom.

Since then we have frequently skipped dinner in the MDRs on whatever line we've been on, choosing instead an alternative dining venue or just skipping dinner altogether. On our last few cruises we've chosen anytime dining which changes the wine sharing custom.

Exception. We've done some river cruising (love it) where, in some cases, wine was served by the cruise line, and in other cases, we did the wine sharing thing.

Incorrect impression.

We have met many people on many different cruises and kept in contact years after the fact where we didn't know them at all when we boarded. Yes, granted, PG and Tamarind experiences would be us deciding as a group let's go there together as a table as well to continue the fun there too... and sometimes we opted to just have a private evening together. But in the main dining room we have done this (obviously) with friends, but also with "strangers" numerous times.

This is how it usually starts... We'll take them up on it, and then say something like "Thank you. We'll buy tomorrow :) " and it goes from there.

Very nice.

Makes for very pleasant, relaxing atmosphere to get to know each other.....

to enjoy each other.

One of the lost 'niceties' generally speaking.

Interesting subject. Back in the day, we sailed on Princess and HAL exclusively and always asked for an 8 top, and, when available, a 10 top. There were no dining venues available except the Lido buffet and sometimes the pizzeria on a Princess ship, so the only reason our table was not filled with the same folks would be a late return from an excursion or just not feeling like a full dinner for whatever reason.

Back then we also followed the traditional offering of sharing a bottle of wine with everyone. We stopped doing that when, on a Princess cruise in 1996, on the first night for our table (it was open seating on departure day because the ship was set to sail at 11:00pm) one woman was literally outraged that we would make such an offer. Her beef? She was upset that we would encourage drinking and that we were forcing her and her husband to participate.

When we sailed on the Rotterdam in 1998, another couple at our table ordered a bottle and offered to share, so we did and followed the custom.

Since then we have frequently skipped dinner in the MDRs on whatever line we've been on, choosing instead an alternative dining venue or just skipping dinner altogether. On our last few cruises we've chosen anytime dining which changes the wine sharing custom.

Exception. We've done some river cruising (love it) where, in some cases, wine was served by the cruise line, and in other cases, we did the wine sharing thing.

So much about cruising has changed, including the addition of alternative dining choices, customarily sharing wine seems to mostly now be something to remember with happy memory.

Somehow I seriously doubt anyone was forcing that vocal lady to drink any wine she did not wish to consume. :D :D There's one in every crowd.

I can see DH doing this. I do longer drink wine . But we always request a 4 top as we are worried about being assigned with people who may not appreciate dd and DS.

But I wanted to share a shocking non cruise but related story. DH had a friend and his wife visit years ago. They were fast friends growing up. His wife was so nice the first few times I met her but this visit she was miserable. It was her idea to go out for dinner so I hired our usual babysitter for their girls and our two. She decided she was not comfortable with this arrangement so she invited her brother in law to drive 2.5 hours to come to our house to pick up her two girls. She goes on and on about how much she loves wine and for her 50th her husband gave her 50 bottles of wine. So there we are at a restaurant and she orders a bottle of wine...for herself. She didn't even offer any to her husband.

How rude was that? For perspective she told me where she wanted to visit then criticized my driving and on our way home the next day, while the guys were golfing she told me that she had invited 17 people for lunch! We were 45 minutes away from home and "her" guest were arriving in 30 minutes.

The sharing wine reminded me of this very unpleasant experience.

I can see DH doing this. I do longer drink wine . But we always request a 4 top as we are worried about being assigned with people who may not appreciate dd and DS.

But I wanted to share a shocking non cruise but related story. DH had a friend and his wife visit years ago. They were fast friends growing up. His wife was so nice the first few times I met her but this visit she was miserable. It was her idea to go out for dinner so I hired our usual babysitter for their girls and our two. She decided she was not comfortable with this arrangement so she invited her brother in law to drive 2.5 hours to come to our house to pick up her two girls. She goes on and on about how much she loves wine and for her 50th her husband gave her 50 bottles of wine. So there we are at a restaurant and she orders a bottle of wine...for herself. She didn't even offer any to her husband.

How rude was that? For perspective she told me where she wanted to visit then criticized my driving and on our way home the next day, while the guys were golfing she told me that she had invited 17 people for lunch! We were 45 minutes away from home and "her" guest were arriving in 30 minutes.

The sharing wine reminded me of this very unpleasant experience.

Whoa..... she sounds like a real prize.

Is the couple still married? :D If so, husband deserves a medal. :eek:

I found my way into this custom almost by accident.

On my first cruise, I embarked to find in my cabin a bottle of champagne (from my TA) and a bottle of wine (from my parents). Now mind you, wine is almost completely wasted on me. It all tastes like sour grape juice to my miserable palette.

So here I was thinking "how am I going to get rid of all this?" Dumping it overboard seemed environmentally unethical, so on the first night I had the wine sent to my table, and on the second (formal) night, the champagne. Of course, I insisted that my new friends at the 6-top I was seated at share it with me, and we made short work of it. I expected nothing further to come of it, beyond maybe a vague hope that they would think I was a good sport and a capital fellow, or something.

Well (not realizing that this was actually a custom of sorts), the others at the table (all solo travelers) each contributed a bottle on each successive night. And a good time was had by all.

Since then, I've always made a point of providing wine for my (always fixed seating) table on the first or second night. Usually the gesture goes over well, and sometimes less so; sometimes it is reciprocated and sometimes not. But I still make the offer anyway. I can see where my lack of wine-savvy could get me in trouble if I ever found myself at a table of vintners, though. ;)

So much about cruising has changed, including the addition of alternative dining choices, customarily sharing wine seems to mostly now be something to remember with happy memory.

Exactly. A nice tradition that no longer exists, I'm afraid.

Somehow I seriously doubt anyone was forcing that vocal lady to drink any wine she did not wish to consume. :D :D There's one in every crowd.

Other than the notion that it probably was deemed by her to be a social custom to share (a modest "forcing") there was no effort. On later nights she offered that they were given the cruise as a gift from their kids and they were really enjoying the experience but were uncomfortable with some of the traditions (tipping standards, etc.). Thus we suspected it was just her discomfort that was talking, not a real anger.

Edited by Host Walt