First time on Oceania -- dining question

DoulaAnn

We will be taking our first cruise on Oceania soon, and I'm not sure what to expect in the GDR. Are there times that are easier or harder to get a table during? How difficult is a table for 4 (willing to share)? Is there a time in GDR that is "too late"?

As for Red Ginger, just how spicy is the food (I know it is "bold Asian")? I have trouble with "coughing fits" if the food is too spicy. I can handle some spice, but not a lot.

Any other advice on dining is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Ann

We will be taking our first cruise on Oceania soon, and I'm not sure what to expect in the GDR. Are there times that are easier or harder to get a table during? How difficult is a table for 4 (willing to share)? Is there a time in GDR that is "too late"?

My husband and I tend to go in for dinner around 7:30 to 8 and haven't found a problem getting a table. When we are only two, and we say we'd like to share, sometimes we end up at a table for two. There's not a real guarantee. I wouldn't think it's difficult to get a table for four although we've rarely tried to do that. GDR closes at 9pm, I think.

Since we don't go into the GDR at opening hours, I can't speak for those times. If you are open to a late dinner (8:30?), my guess is that you would not have any problem. But many Oceania cruisers seems to prefer earlier dining times. It's hard to predict.

As for Red Ginger, just how spicy is the food (I know it is "bold Asian")? I have trouble with "coughing fits" if the food is too spicy. I can handle some spice, but not a lot.

We like spicy food and find that we have to ask them to "spice it up". My guess (without knowing how you define "spicy") is that you won't have a problem there. When I ask them to add heat, it is still not hot enough for us ...

Ann

Do try the Terrace Buffet for dinner, especially after a long day's tour ... You didn't specify which ship you are on, which does make a difference, but the "R" ships have gussied up the buffet. Many people on the "O" ships prefer Terrace for dinner.

/QUOTE]

We usually go to the GDR for 6:30 - 7pm never a problem getting a table

I found the Terrace busier around 7pm & hard to get a table some nights

We did not find RG spicey ..it was just fine but for those that want it more spicey just ask

Enjoy

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Does the GDR close at 9:00 on all the ships? Will they still seat until 9:00?? We don't want to start dining at 9:00, but if we go around 8:00 or so, I'd hate to be rushed.

They stop seating people just before 9pm but they may rush you after 10ish ;)

We closed the GDR a few times we were not watching the time & enjoying our chat with tablemates

The only night in our experience that you may have a wait to be seated is on the first night at sea if you show up right at opening time for GDR Dinner. Thereafter, it's a hit or miss thing depending on peoples inclination - no telling. Check the dinner menus posted outside the GDR and Terrace Café daily for a feel how the crowd will ebb and flow. Some specialty nights in Terrace can be a bit like attending a stock care race at Talladega.

:p DO NOT MISS the grand buffet in the GDR. It will be prominently posted in the daily ships' paper. You might want to bring looser clothes and belts for that epic feed! :eek:

Most nights you will be able to get a 2 top. There are a lot of 3 across tables for two around the outside of the dining room. It's often fun to tell the maître 'd you'd like to share and see what the luck of the draw brings out of the hat. Be advised there will be a predominance of us auld gray hairs on board...

JMBobB

DO NOT MISS the grand buffet in the GDR. It will be prominently posted in the daily ships' paper. You might want to bring looser clothes and belts for that epic feed!

In the interest of not disappointing people, I must point out that Grand Buffets are not offered during every Itinerary.

Many of the shorter cruises don't include one.

We really loved the GDR - and although we eat early-ish (1930 usually) we eat slowly and they were still people arriving at almost 2100 as we left.

Red Ginger - I cook a LOT of Indian food. Red Ginger, by my standards is not spicy at all. And anyway it is an East Asian/South East Asian fusion type cuisine rather than spicier foods from the sub-continent. I found their dishes very tasty and in fact ordered the Miso Sea Bass one evening in our suite. Subsequently someone kindly posted her recipe for this and it is truly yummy. But spicy - no - not in the hot Pepper sense... but yes, in the subtle spice range.

In the interest of not disappointing people, I must point out that Grand Buffets are not offered during every Itinerary.

Thanks for that. I've been on both Regatta and Riviera and never heard of a Grand Buffet so I was wondering if I'd just missed it.

Having said that I've never gone hungry on any ship :D .

I am glad you said this. I was getting ready to pull out my old dailies to find out when I missed it. I will certainly watch for it on the Nautica in 3 weeks. With it being a very port intensive 16 day cruise, they probably won't have it though. Thanks for the tip. I will watch for on future O cruises.

Ann

I do not eat spicy, and in Red Ginger you are asked how you like the food. I asked for "no spice". This was probably a mistake as everyone loved their meal, but I found it bland. Only to be expected you may say (!) but I had no problems with digestion, and my OH was able to enjoy the sort of food he rally loves and does not have often because I am not able to eat it.

Just got off the Riviera yesterday (first time on Oceania).

Everyone here has the right answers:

1. Red Ginger is not "hot" spicy, but is very flavorful and delicious.

2. We always ate at 6:30PM and could always get exactly the kind of table we wanted since that's the beginning of the serving time in the MDR and all tables are free at that second.

3. By all means, make sure you get to the Grand Buffet (they call it a Grand Brunch). They will seat you and give you a menu, but if I were you, I'd ignore the menu (you would be ordering an egg dish or some-such main course), give it back to the server, and head right for the buffet tables to have a look-see and select from that. There is so much variety and quality at the buffet tables that you'd be too full from the entree you ordered from the menu to sample the many items from the buffet that you need to taste to get the full appreciation for all the work they do.

We did not find RG spicey ..it was just fine but for those that want it more spicey just ask

Enjoy

Lyn

Lyn, did you ask for it with no spice or just as it came. Some have indicated that with no spice it was bland. I've even read some felt it was bland if prepared standard.

My concern is more with the peppery type spice, as in I don't do jalapeños in Mexican food. And red peppers in Thai and Chinese food are a no-go, as well. And, obviously, no wasabi.

For all of you who clued me in on the Grand Buffet/Brunch, a big thank you. Had not heard of that. Will at least be on the lookout for it. We are on the Marina "Americas Adventure" cruise in April.

Ann

Lyn, did you ask for it with no spice or just as it came. Some have indicated that with no spice it was bland. I've even read some felt it was bland if prepared standard.

My concern is more with the peppery type spice, as in I don't do jalapeños in Mexican food. And red peppers in Thai and Chinese food are a no-go, as well. And, obviously, no wasabi.

For all of you who clued me in on the Grand Buffet/Brunch, a big thank you. Had not heard of that. Will at least be on the lookout for it. We are on the Marina "Americas Adventure" cruise in April.

Ann

We just got it as it came but look at the ingredients list incase there is something you do not like

I am not one for hot spicey food

some people's taste buds can handle hot spice but not mine ;)

Is the Grand Brunch self-service or are you served as in the Terrace Cafe?

Will the Terrace Cafe and Waves also be open on Grand Brunch day?

:)

The grand brunch is usally in the GDR from 10am to 2 pm they serve you like the Terrace ( I think)

We have only gone once as I missed breakfast

Yes The Terrace was open (this was before Waves served breakfast)

Lyn

Talk to your server. One of us likes BLAND and one likes lightly spiced. Tell them your needs and limits and the kitchen will do the right thing.

The Teriyaki Beef is excellent and not highly spiced.

In all dining venues feel free to express your need to the server. Everything is cooked to order.

Hypercafe, I'm glad you mentioned that because I've been tempted to do so. The super-duper buffet does not occur on every cruise. I think we've had it maybe twice on a dozen cruises.

We did have it on the Barcelona-Rio cruise in November '13 and it was spectacular. (I agree with whoever suggested that you NOT order off the menu. I made that mistake and didn't have room for all the other goodies.) I expected we'd have it last spring on the NY-Dover cruise because we had plenty of sea days -- even on at least one Sunday -- but it never happened.

Mura

Sorry, I couldn't get to "quote" your comment and reply..

You wrote....Lyn, did you ask for it with no spice or just as it came. Some have indicated that with no spice it was bland. I've even read some felt it was bland if prepared standard.

Ann

Ann - the servers and staff are more than happy to customize food for you.

Special orders don't seem to be a problem.

We went to La Reserve for a wonderful wine and food tasting on one cruise. I don't eat red meat or pork and they were more than happy to create a "chicken and seafood dinner" for me. I also HATE making a big deal out of this. They were very discreet - came over and whispered in my ear that the chefs had prepared a special dinner for me as well....and it was!

If you go to Red Ginger - my favorite specialty restaurant, BTW - go in a group. If you order the Miso Sea Bass, it doesn't have much spice. The prawns are spicier....but if I were at your table, and they came out too spicy (it's the sauce not the prawns themselves) and you didn't like them, I would offer to finish them off for you...and would encourage you to order another order and have them spiced the way you like. :)

Hope this helps...maybe we should go to Red Ginger together on our cruise :)

gary

Thinking of going as a group in Red Ginger, my favorite (learned from my TA) is to go as a group of 8, all of who should be in agreement, and ask to have the table served family style. They will bring out platter after platter of just about everything they prepare, to be passed around the table. They'll keep an eye on the table and if anything seems to be running short, they'll bring more.

It's a great way to try a little of everything and discover your favorites.