Assigned check in times?

dreday3

I'm a little confused. (it doesn't take much)

I read that although RC gives you an assigned check in time, you can still get to Port Canaveral earlier than the time they give you and check in.

But I'm reading threads where people are checking in according to room type, status(Crown/Anchor?) and group # boarding. If that's the case, how are you able to check in early?

Just trying to understand that process - I'm probably way off in my thinking.

It's snowing here right now, so I'm just planning and dreaming of the cruise later in the year! :)

Edited by dreday3

I read that although RC gives you an assigned check in time, you can still get to Port Canaveral earlier than the time they give you and check in.

But I'm reading threads where people are checking in according to room type, status(Crown/Anchor?) and group # boarding. If that's the case, how are you able to check in early?

Just trying to understand that process.

It's snowing here right now, so I'm just planning and dreaming of the cruise later in the year! :)

The suggested check-in times are not currently enforced out of US ports.

The order of boarding according to room type/C&A level only applies right after boarding begins. Once the people who have checked-in early have boarded, other check-ins board immediately, regardless of room or C&A level.

The suggested check-in times are not currently enforced out of US ports.

The order of boarding according to room type/C&A level only applies right after boarding begins. Once the people who have checked-in early have boarded, other check-ins board immediately, regardless of room or C&A level.

Ah. So I can check in early- wait for the above groups to be called for boarding, and then my advantage for checking in early is I can board right after them.

Perfect, thank you!!

On my last couple of cruises RCI sent me an email (one I got after I had checked in) suggesting that if you're on such and such deck to check in at such and such time. At the port they don't check and say well you're such and such deck so this is your check in time. They have the usual check in stuff - priority check in line based on C&A status - but no recommended check in time based on C&A status.

It will be interesting to see how much longer they send out the emails.

CG

Ah. So I can check in early- wait for the above groups to be called for boarding, and then my advantage for checking in early is I can board right after them.

Perfect, thank you!!

Correct, and you'll be on the ship a whole 5-10 minutes after the first groups.

Just trying to understand that process - I'm probably way off in my thinking.

officially, they are trying to lessen congestion at check in

unofficially, if you read the fine print basically anyone except gold members( not gold card holders) and first timers are invited to check in whenever. which basically defeats the whole purpose of staggering the time anyway.

ad of course everyone on CC tells you to ignore the email.

the fact is, with very few exceptions, boarding starts at x time( usually 11 or 1130) and within 15 minutes the backlog of people is gone and and anyone showing up will be checked in and boarded pretty much immediately. so if you do not want to pretend you are being rounded up for the Texas Rodeo, arrive about noon. check in, get on board and still be able to find a seat at the buffet for lunch. (although there are better , quieter places on pretty much every ship of that)

officially, they are trying to lessen congestion at check in

unofficially, if you read the fine print basically anyone except gold members( not gold card holders) and first timers are invited to check in whenever. which basically defeats the whole purpose of staggering the time anyway.

ad of course everyone on CC tells you to ignore the email.

the fact is, with very few exceptions, boarding starts at x time( usually 11 or 1130) and within 15 minutes the backlog of people is gone and and anyone showing up will be checked in and boarded pretty much immediately. so if you do not want to pretend you are being rounded up for the Texas Rodeo, arrive about noon. check in, get on board and still be able to find a seat at the buffet for lunch. (although there are better , quieter places on pretty much every ship of that)

Thanks. What do you mean by anyone but gold members and first timers are invited to check in whenever? This is our first cruise. :)

Our plan is to eat breakfast at our hotel and just board as soon as we can. Then we just want to explore the ship before everyone gets on. Maybe grab a sandwich at the Promenade Cafe. And find a place for a cocktail. :D

Edited by dreday3

I have cruised on different RCI and Disney ships, and we have never been made to wait till the "time" assigned to us.

We have always gotten to port by 10:30 and boarded by our suite status, and others have lined up by their C & A status.

We will continue to go early.

Safe travels.

Thanks. What do you mean by anyone but gold members and first timers are invited to check in whenever? This is our first cruise. :)

Our plan is to eat breakfast at our hotel and just board as soon as we can. Then we just want to explore the ship before everyone gets on. Maybe grab a sandwich at the Promenade Cafe. And find a place for a cocktail. :D

The email states that certain levels of the Crown and Anchor Society can check in anytime between x and x o'clock. However, if you get there early they take everybody. It's just not that crowded for the 10:30 - 11:00 arrivals.

Be sure to sign up for your Crown and Anchor membership. You get discounts on your next (and there probably will be a next) cruise.

Enjoy!!

I too was confused by this email for our cruise last month - had never rec'd such a thing in all our years of cruising.

We took the day as a sleep-in day, left our luggage at hotel (in Old San Juan) and hopped a ferry (under $1.00 each) to head to the Bacardi distillery for their tour. By the time we returned late in the afternoon, and got to the ship, there was hardly a soul around. Checked in and on the boat very quickly, and our luggage was at our room just after dinner.

I thought it was a pretty smooth way to do it.

The email states that certain levels of the Crown and Anchor Society can check in anytime between x and x o'clock. However, if you get there early they take everybody. It's just not that crowded for the 10:30 - 11:00 arrivals.

Be sure to sign up for your Crown and Anchor membership. You get discounts on your next (and there probably will be a next) cruise.

Enjoy!!

The suggested time is also published in your Cruise Documents. We ignore it. We also arrive early, hand our luggage over to the porter, check-in, have a seat and on the ship at noon or just after.