Has anyone taken the 7 day Solstice Alaskan cruise?

bar_20

We are looking at the Solstice cruise out of Seattle. The stops are Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria BC. I am wondering which one of these ports are tendered due to the size of the Solstice and which ones are docked.

We are looking at the Solstice cruise out of Seattle. The stops are Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria BC. I am wondering which one of these ports are tendered due to the size of the Solstice and which ones are docked.

We are taking the 11 night out of Seattle on Solstice in Sept and are going to all of those ports plus a few more. We are docked at all of them except Icy Strait, which isn't on your list. You should be docked at all of your ports. Check the itinerary...it should say which ones are docked and which are tendered.

Cathy

We were on the Solstice Alaska cruise this past September. The ship docked in all ports except Juneau. Tendering in Juneau is dependent on how many ships are in port. There is a published port schedule that shows which ships are assigned to tendering and which to the available slots at the dock. Sometimes the Solstice docks in Juneau. Tendering versus dock is dependent on your port day. The tendering process was easy - calm waters and close proximity to the port facilities. There have been negative threads on the Alaska forum regarding tendering in Juneau, but our experience was positive. There is more information on the Alaska forum page.

Ketchikan maybe tendered if to many ships in port . NCL usually uses

tenders . I've never seen or heard of any ships anchored in Skagway .

My wife's son lives in Juneau and plan to spend the day with him and his family. It's not an all day stop. We will not be taking a tour. Having tendered on the Solstice before it can be as long as two hours from the time they start to when they are finished. I hope it docks.

Ketchikan maybe tendered if to many ships in port . NCL usually uses

tenders . I've never seen or heard of any ships anchored in Skagway .

The last 2 times I sailed to Alaska Ketchikan was always docked:)

I am sailing her in May:) it shows we are docked in every port.

Last year Solstice docked every other week in Juneau. We were lucky to have it dock our week and as a result we docked at every port. Don't know what they're doing this year.

I've taken this itinerary twice (once on the Infinity and once on the Solstice) and one time we docked (Solstice) and one time we tendered (Infinity) in Juneau. Check the port listing to see which you will do. Skagway and Ketchikan were docked ports both times.

According the the harbor schedule, it looks to be the same this year (tendering every other week). However, Celebrity itinerary is showing docked each week even though it is tendering!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Ok, I've Googled this and Googled that and can't seem to find the schedule you are referencing. Can anyone include the link? thanks

I just looked at the itinerary of my particular sailing....it shows the

ports and each one shows "docked"........I went to the X website

and found it that way.

Edited by Lois R

Did Solstice in 2013 and docked at all stops except Juneau. Going again in July hope it has changed.

Did Solstice in 2013 and docked at all stops except Juneau. Going again in July hope it has changed.

Also cruised on Solstice in June 2013 and Juneau showed docked for all departures until very near or after final payment date was due. Our mid June cruise showed tendered for several weeks and then flipped back to docked - and we did dock in Juneau and all other ports. But in the meantime I changed excursions for some of our group of 20 (all kids and g'kids) to later times or with X rather than private as the first couple of cruises that were tendered reported delays in tendering and missing departures on private tours. It is hard to tell who did miss and who may have exaggerated the situation since the private tours keep close tabs on ship's schedule. As I recall the dock for tenders is very easily accessible for tours and private cars.

The way it seemed to work out in 2013 was alternating weeks were docked. Our experience in tendered ports in many locations is that after the initial rush of sometimes less than orderly and or polite "entitled" passengers rushing the line trying to get off first or before their number is called it that it becomes quicker and calmer. Not knowing if you have tendered before, it is helpful to know that the first couple tenders are for shore support crew and equipment, then they will take the earliest of the Celebrity excursions. By all means be where you need to be in order to pick up your tender tickets Enjoy your visit. Bobbi

Here is the 2015 schedule. Just click on Juneau:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=318

Thanks, I see my day/itinerary but I guess I am not too bright because

I can't tell what it means.......:eek: It says Solstice, AJD.....

Found this on the Juneau port abbreviations.

AS = Alaska Steam Ship Dock

FKL = South Franklin Street Dock

CT = Cruise Ship Terminal

AJD = A. J. Dock

IVF = Int. Vessel Float

AMP = "Anchored Marine Park" - that is anchored in the harbor and tendered :(

It is the AJ Dock, about a mile from town.

There is usually a shuttle bus available, if you don't want to walk.

Although that location is considered the least desirable of the Juneau cruise docks, it is still better than tendering.

There is a map of downtown Juneau at

http://www.traveljuneau.com/downloads/map_downtown_big.jpg

You can enlarge it by clicking the little magnifying glass cursor that appears on the map

On this map, the AJ Dock is denoted by the letter A at lower right, further down and around the corner from the S. Franklin St. dock, which is denoted by the letter B.

Please don't put yourself down as it has nothing to do with being bright, but rather with familiarity.

So you will know the answer the next time someone else asks about it.

Lois, you know lots of stuff that others don't know and you are one of the most helpful contributors to this board.

It is the AJ Dock, about a mile from town.

There is usually a shuttle bus available, if you don't want to walk.

Although that location is considered the least desirable of the Juneau cruise docks, it is still better than tendering.

There is a map of downtown Juneau at

http://www.traveljuneau.com/downloads/map_downtown_big.jpg

You can enlarge it by clicking the little magnifying glass cursor that appears on the map

On this map, the AJ Dock is denoted by the letter A at lower right, further down and around the corner from the S. Franklin St. dock, which is denoted by the letter B.

Please don't put yourself down as it has nothing to do with being bright, but rather with familiarity.

So you will know the answer the next time someone else asks about it.

Lois, you know lots of stuff that others don't know and you are one of the most helpful contributors to this board.

Thank you:)

So, if I am doing a ship's excursion~ They will probably shuttle us to

where we need to be......

You might check again. I'm seeing your May 15 Solstice Alaska cruise is showing AMP for Solstice in Juneau port on Monday May 18.

You might check again. I'm seeing your May 15 Solstice Alaska cruise is showing AMP for Solstice in Juneau port on Monday May 18.

Hi, I am not sailing May 18th.......I will be home by then..........

I am on Solstice from May 8th--15th.

Here is the 2015 schedule. Just click on Juneau:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=318

Thank you. Unfortunately I guess our cruise will be tendered:(. We are Elite+ so will get priority tenders thankfully, but not sure if we can get them for all in our party. Oh well - we will enjoy it no matter.