Princess wine policy

CRUISEWITHH

My friend just called me from the ship that he boarded today. It seems that I told him that he could bring 2 bottles of wine PER CABIN. One for him and one for his wife.

Unfortunately, he put them both into one suitcase and before he got to his cabin they had confiscated one of the bottles and sent a note to his cabin that it was being destroyed! He was very upset since this was a very expensive wine.

Don't you think that is going a little too far. Couldn't they hold his suitcase until they had checked with him to clarify the situation.

I advised him to go to the Service desk and complain.

They certainly could, but that is the listed policy so they were within their rights to do it...

The policy states all alcohol brought on board must be in CARRYON luggage, any in checked luggage, regardles of quantity, can be destroyed. (Someone I am sure has the text saved, it appears on the luggage tags I think?)

I suppose Princess is within their rights to destroy the wine but I don't really think it would be a good policy. It would be better to call them down to the Purser's Desk, have them pay the corkage fee and turn over the wine to them. After all, it doesn't seem that they were trying to sneak the wine on board, they just did not quite understand the procedure for carrying wine onto the ship.

My friend just called me from the ship that he boarded today. It seems that I told him that he could bring 2 bottles of wine PER CABIN. One for him and one for his wife.

You did not quote the Princess wine policy correctly. It says plain as day on the luggage tags: one bottle per adult per voyage. The tags clearly read "Carry on Alcohol Policy" with the universal bottle-with-a-slash "no wine in luggage" symbol.

So if you told your friend to put his wine in his checked bag...you owe them a bottle. Though it is their fault for not reading the Passage Contract, section 5 paragraph 2 (emphasis mine):

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage.
As for complaining to the purser's desk: hopefully your friend reads this before taking any more of your "advice" :rolleyes: Edited by fishywood

Here's what is printed on each luggage tag:

Bringing Alcohol Onboard?

Please remember our
carry-on
alcohol policy:

• One 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

• Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

Sorry your friend didn't pay attention to the 'small print' (actually it isn't small and it is hard to miss since it takes up about 4 inches of a column on each tag).

You did not quote the Princess wine policy correctly. It says plain as day on the luggage tags: one bottle per adult per voyage. The tags clearly read "Carry on Alcohol Policy" with the universal bottle-with-a-slash "no wine in luggage" symbol.

So if you told your friend to put his wine in his checked bag...you owe them a bottle. Though it is their fault for not reading the Passage Contract, section 5 paragraph 2 (emphasis mine):

As for complaining to the purser's desk: hopefully your friend reads this before taking any more of your "advice" :rolleyes:

I did not tell my friend to put the wine in his checked bags. I simply told him that he was allowed one bottle per person. Since he is a very senior citizen (90 years old) I guess he felt that he could not "carry" the wine in addition to a carry one bag and therefore decided to put it in the luggage.

The question was why did they let him keep one bottle and not the second bottle. They were both together in his suitcase and he would have been happy to pay the corkage fee if necessary.

The Passage Contract, which you must accept does state "...any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded." I have only seen one or maybe two reports of that occurring and that was in Australia. The typical procedure is to have additional bottles found in checked luggage charged the $15 corkage. In your friends case there would have been no corkage because there were two bottles and two passengers of drinking age. It is one bottle per passenger of drinking age, not two per cabin if you are sailing as a solo. It is unclear if three bottles are allowed if there are three or more adults sharing a cabin.

I have an issue with Princess because the terms of the Passage Contract supersede anything written on boarding passes or luggage tags and the crew are within their rights to remove alcohol and discard it. I believe this phrase was intend to apply to alcohol other than wine but it has been applied to wine. If I was bringing expensive wine on board it would be in my carryon.

Edited by IECalCruiser

I have only seen one or maybe two reports of that occurring and that was in Australia.

Actually the initial brouhaha around two years ago over Princess commencing strict enforcement of their new wine policy (several threads with hundreds of posts that I have no desire to resurrect :o) was from the confiscation of wine and champagne found in checked bags at San Pedro. Which appears to be ongoing...

Edited by fishywood

The question was why did they let him keep one bottle and not the second bottle. They were both together in his suitcase and he would have been happy to pay the corkage fee if necessary.

This, to me, is the perplexing part. For those that are asserting that Princess was doing what it said it would do to all wines that are not carried on, then consistency dictates that both bottles should have been destroyed. By allowing one of the bottles on board, Princess was tacitly admitting that one bottle of wine in a checked bag is perfectly OK. From this, we can conclude that Princess doesn't really care all that much about its own "carry on only" edict. And since they allow one bottle per adult passenger, and the vast majority of passengers are adults, and the vast majority of passengers do not cruise solo, then the people doing the checking should have quickly deduced that a couple was attempting to bring two bottles on board. If they took the effort to contact the passenger, it would have taken them all of 3 seconds to confirm that a second adult passenger was in the cabin, and that both bottles could have been allowed on. If Princess had contacted the passenger and scolded them for putting the wine in a checked bag and informed him that both bottles were going to be destroyed, I'd have less of an issue with this. But once they cross the Rubicon to allow one of the bottles on, destroying the second bottle seems petty and thoughtless.

If I was bringing expensive wine on board it would be in my carryon.

And in the end,....this.

This, to me, is the perplexing part. For those that are asserting that Princess was doing what it said it would do to all wines that are not carried on, then consistency dictates that both bottles should have been destroyed. By allowing one of the bottles on board, Princess was tacitly admitting that one bottle of wine in a checked bag is perfectly OK. From this, we can conclude that Princess doesn't really care all that much about its own "carry on only" edict. And since they allow one bottle per adult passenger, and the vast majority of passengers are adults, and the vast majority of passengers do not cruise solo, then the people doing the checking should have quickly deduced that a couple was attempting to bring two bottles on board. If they took the effort to contact the passenger, it would have taken them all of 3 seconds to confirm that a second adult passenger was in the cabin, and that both bottles could have been allowed on. If Princess had contacted the passenger and scolded them for putting the wine in a checked bag and informed him that both bottles were going to be destroyed, I'd have less of an issue with this. But once they cross the Rubicon to allow one of the bottles on, destroying the second bottle seems petty and thoughtless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IECalCruiser View Post

If I was bringing expensive wine on board it would be in my carryon.

And in the end,....this.

I feel the same way however how policies get enforced varies & apparently they had a crewmember who strictly followed the procedure. :(

The one time we put our allotted 1) 750 mL bottle per person in our checked bags each one was handled differently. One bag went directly to our cabin; one bag to the "naughty room" for me to unlock our bag to show them it was wine & not booze. To me that is using discretion & is the best way to handle wine in a checked bag and not destroying it.

I've read recent posts that Princess considers Port not as wine but as booze which is subject to being destroyed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

... apparently they had a crewmember who strictly followed the procedure. :(

But if the crewmember had strictly followed the procedure, shouldn't both bottles have been destroyed? Or are you saying that if the couple had split their bottles into two different pieces of luggage, both bottles would have gotten on? I guess I can see how this could be the case, but...c'mon! That's pretty weak on PCL's part.

The one time we put our allotted 1) 750 mL bottle per person in our checked bags each one was handled differently. One bag went directly to our cabin; one bag to the "naughty room" for me to unlock our bag to show them it was wine & not booze. To me that is using discretion & is the best way to handle wine in a checked bag and not destroying it.

In a service industry, this type of discretion is always the best option.

I've read recent posts that Princess considers Port not as wine but as booze which is subject to being destroyed.

Well, it is both. It is wine, fortified with Brandy, typically taking the alcohol level up over 20%. With alcohol this high, the beverage usually fails the standard test of "table wine". Given how few bottles of Port are likely carried on, I think I'd let it slide. On the other hand, Port is usually consumed in small quantities and a bottle could last for an entire voyage. So Princess probably doesn't want people paying $15 to get around ordering the equivalent of 12-18 after dinner drinks. Paying $15 to avoid ordering a single bottle of wine for a night is one thing. Paying $15 for an entire cruise's worth of after dinner libations is probably a bit much for them to handle.

But if the crewmember had strictly followed the procedure' date=' shouldn't both bottles have been destroyed? Or are you saying that if the couple had split their bottles into two different pieces of luggage, both bottles would have gotten on? I guess I can see how this could be the case, but...c'mon! That's pretty weak on PCL's part.[/quote']

Whether it's in 2 bags or 1 wasn't my point but how the same situation (2 bags each containing a bottle) was handled differently. I understand Princess' desire to have wine carried on & not in checked bags requiring extra work to determine whether it's allowed wine or smuggled booze. But for any crewmember to not take the extra step to have a passenger go to the "naughty room" & to instead send a note that the wine is being destroyed is the wrong thing to do & is weak on the part of that particular crewmember. In my situation the crewmember was considerate which to me is how to do things & I learned my lesson and now carry on my wine...both our fee-free & those being charged corkage.

In a service industry' date=' this type of discretion is always the best option.[/quote']

Absolutely!

Well' date=' it is both. It is wine, fortified with Brandy, typically taking the alcohol level up over 20%. With alcohol this high, the beverage usually fails the standard test of "table wine". Given how few bottles of Port are likely carried on, I think I'd let it slide. On the other hand, Port is usually consumed in small quantities and a bottle could last for an entire voyage. So Princess probably doesn't want people paying $15 to get around ordering the equivalent of 12-18 after dinner drinks. Paying $15 to avoid ordering a single bottle of wine for a night is one thing. Paying $15 for an entire cruise's worth of after dinner libations is probably a bit much for them to handle.[/quote']

I am not nearly as knowledgeable as you are about wine & appreciate the info & I understand both sides of the bringing Port on the ship issue. I mentioned it because there have been recent posts from highly upset passengers who were shocked to learn that their Port would be confiscated & destroyed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Of course if you are flying to the port city, you cannot have the wine in your carryon so it must be in your checked luggage.

So to meet Princess' rules, you must open your suitcase either at the airport baggage area or outside the cruise terminal and transfer the wine to your carryon which would have to have room in it for the wine.

I am very happy that most cruise lines now allow each adult to bring on a bottle of wine at no charge .

I'm sorry this is not enough for some . I have no problem with them making money on alcohol and drawing a line at

1 bottle of wine carried on per adult ! Not so hard.

I am very happy that most cruise lines now allow each adult to bring on a bottle of wine at no charge .

I'm sorry this is not enough for some . I have no problem with them making money on alcohol and drawing a line at

And Princess allows us to bring more wine by paying a $15 per additional bottle corkage fee. Whether it's collected during boarding or when we enjoy it with dinner they get their corkage fee. Our last RCI cruise 2 years ago finally allowed 1 bottle but corkage fee was $25 to enjoy it with dinner.

When the Princess wine package is available we only bring the 1 fee-free bottle; if not available we're thankful that Princess allows us to bring additional bottles for $15 each. :)

Of course if you are flying to the port city, you cannot have the wine in your carryon so it must be in your checked luggage.

So to meet Princess' rules, you must open your suitcase either at the airport baggage area or outside the cruise terminal and transfer the wine to your carryon which would have to have room in it for the wine.

Or...check your wine in a carrier designed for the purpose, collect it at the airport, then carry it on the ship. A number of companies make hard cases that are designed for checking wine. Many of these cases are the same as the ones used by photography and video companies for checking valuable and delicate cameras and lenses.

I am very happy to follow all of Princess' rules to the letter. And that includes bringing on as many bottles as I wish and paying for the privilege.

Or...check your wine in a carrier designed for the purpose, collect it at the airport, then carry it on the ship. A number of companies make hard cases that are designed for checking wine. Many of these cases are the same as the ones used by photography and video companies for checking valuable and delicate cameras and lenses.

And thus paying $70 round trip in additional airline baggage fees.

Don't you just love the goody two shoes that love to reprint the rules for all to see while condemning the OP. So with that yes, they have the rule but there may be circumstances like the OP where there was a misunderstanding of said rule. Princess relies heavily on repeat business and as anyone in retail business will tell you, throwing rules in the face of customers does not bode well for the business. They have to do it gently. So taking the bag to the naughty room and calling the pax down is a much better solution for all.

The pax referred to by the OP needs to go down to the guest relations and complain. They are trained to defuse issues between the ship and pax and will often offer an amenable solution to keep the pax happy.

As for wine enforcement, it is spotty at best. We boarded the Golden last month and carried on 10 bottles of wine (14 day cruise) expecting to pay for 8. Not only did they not have a table to collect the fee but told us to wait in this big area where kiosks had been set up selling very good local wine and hard alcohol to take to our cabins. I bought a bottle of my favorite UK gin and took it to my cabin with out any problem! Some ports I have been charged and others not. In October we boarded in San Pedro with 5 bottles of wine and they charged our account $15.

Edited by satxdiver

And thus paying $70 round trip in additional airline baggage fees.

1. Assuming that one pays baggage fees; and

2. There is no question that taking wine from one's house to the ship presents logistical issues, so one should only do so if it is really worth it to you. If the wine that one enjoys can be easily sourced near the port, that is the way to go. But if you are bringing collectible bottles worth hundreds of dollars each, then baggage fees and a special carrying case (which is a one time expense), is worth it.

6-pack-winecruzer-sm-grey.jpg

This is the most current thread discussing Princess wine policy...

I have been searching CC but have yet to find a thread that thoroughly discusses bringing wine on board. I understand the policy being discussed here but I'm looking for more detail without hijacking this thread. Anyone have any suggestions where to look?

Or, if someone here is open to questions... I can post here?

Edited by CruiserNorCal

Don't you just love the goody two shoes that love to reprint the rules for all to see while condemning the OP. So with that yes, they have the rule but there may be circumstances like the OP where there was a misunderstanding of said rule. Princess relies heavily on repeat business and as anyone in retail business will tell you, throwing rules in the face of customers does not bode well for the business. They have to do it gently. So taking the bag to the naughty room and calling the pax down is a much better solution for all.

The pax referred to by the OP needs to go down to the guest relations and complain. They are trained to defuse issues between the ship and pax and will often offer an amenable solution to keep the pax happy.

As for wine enforcement, it is spotty at best. We boarded the Golden last month and carried on 10 bottles of wine (14 day cruise) expecting to pay for 8. Not only did they not have a table to collect the fee but told us to wait in this big area where kiosks had been set up selling very good local wine and hard alcohol to take to our cabins. I bought a bottle of my favorite UK gin and took it to my cabin with out any problem! Some ports I have been charged and others not. In October we boarded in San Pedro with 5 bottles of wine and they charged our account $15.

But the trouble with that theory is that everyone-naughty or nice can hide behind that excuse. The policy may seem harsh, but at least they enforce it uniformly (apparently regarding wine in the luggage).

As for the spotty enforcement you mention, consider it a blessing if you can get away with it. Kind of like running a red light when no cops are around.

This is the most current thread discussing Princess wine policy...

I have been searching CC but have yet to find a thread that thoroughly discusses bringing wine on board. I understand the policy being discussed here but I'm looking for more detail without hijacking this thread. Anyone have any suggestions where to look?

Or, if someone here is open to questions... I can post here?

What additional details are you looking for?

In summary:

• At the port of departure, each adult passenger can bring on board one 750ml bottle of wine or Champagne per voyage free of charge and that bottle remains free if consumed in the cabin. If consumed in a public venue, that "free" bottle will be subject to a $15 corkage fee.
  • Additional 750ml bottles of wine or Champagne can be brought on board, and each additional bottle will be assessed a $15 corkage fee upon boarding. The bottles for which a fee has been collected upon boarding can be consumed anywhere on the ship at no additional cost.

To recap:

• Bottle #1 is free and remains free if consumed in the cabin.
  • Bottle #1 is assessed a $15 fee if consumed outside of the cabin.
  • Bottles #2-infinity are assessed a $15 fee upon boarding and no further fee is charged.
  • Bottles should be no larger than 750ml.
  • Bottles should be carried on and not placed in checked luggage.

So a couple, traveling together, can board with two total bottles for free (one per person). If that same couple boards with an entire case, they will be charged $150 (10 x $15; and 2 x $0) upon boarding, and you can decide which 2 bottles are the free ones. The free ones remain free unless taken to a public venue.

Bringing wine on board the ship at ports of call is inconsistently addressed, and there does not seem to be a "policy". The Princess rules speak to taking wine on board at the port of departure, so, by omission, it could be assumed that no wine should be taken on board at ports of call. But in practice, people seem to do that all the time. Sometimes it just slips right on by. Sometimes people are charged the $15 fee. And sometimes the crew collects the bottles and holds them until the time of disembarkation. There does not seem to be any hard and fast rule or enforcement of a rule, so no one can be any more specific.

Is there anything else that you are trying to find out?

Edited by JimmyVWine