Reasons for why you cruise?

COCKYMARK

I cruise because I need to get away from our hectic schedule. My husband tags along but he is the really social one so he loves meeting other people. My daughter loves to cruise because she loves the night time teen dances. Where we live our schools no longer have school dances, except for graduation. This lets her dance and have fun with other teens. Oh yeah, and the food, the islands, lying on my balcony and just watching the water flow by.

With 17 cruises under my belt, I've had some excellent, good, and not so good cruises. It is still my favorite way to travel. So here are my thoughts:

Food – The large variety of food available – some good, some bad, but always a choice.

Atmosphere – The majority of people on a cruise are happy and upbeat because they are cruising. It’s a pleasure being around like-minded people. There are always grumpy cats on any cruise, but the majority of those who are making the most of their cruise vacation greatly overshadow the unhappy ones.

Variety – There’s always something to do. If someone in the party has a different interest, and wants to attend a different activity, it’s easier to split up and go your separate ways on a cruise ship than on land.

Travel Experience - A great way to sample various countries, cities.

Disconnect – As long as the cost of Wi-Fi and at sea cell service is relatively high, I can use the excuse Ï’m out of the office and will not have access to Email or Voicemail.”

Relaxation – Unlike some of the land-based vacations I’ve taken, I’ve never felt like I need a vacation from my vacation after I return from a cruise.

Cost – Best bang for my buck. After embarkation, any expenditure is optional. Be frugal or extravagant, it’s up to me.

Feeling Pampered and Special - Arriving in my cabin at night to find my bed has been turned down and the cabin refreshed, the wait staff remembering my favorite appetizer each night, the bartender who not only remembers my name, but starts preparing my drink before I’ve had a chance to settle into my seat, these are some of the small things that make my cruise enjoyable.

Fewer Decisions - As a single person, who is also in management, a cruise allows me to have days that don’t require thought provoking decisions. The hardest decisions I have to make on a cruise are usually as mundane as whether to dine in the WindJammer or the Main Dining Room, attend the Belly Flop Competition or the Trivia contest, a Bloody Mary or Mimosa, etc.

AND THE NUMBER 1 REASON I LIKE TO CRUISE:

SEA DAYS
– Sitting on my balcony, or on deck as the sound of the ocean lulls me into a state of calmness, while the sea breezes kiss my face
. There's nothing like being out on the open sea.

With 17 cruises under my belt, I've had some excellent, good, and not so good cruises. It is still my favorite way to travel. So here are my thoughts:

Food – The large variety of food available – some good, some bad, but always a choice.

Atmosphere – The majority of people on a cruise are happy and upbeat because they are cruising. It’s a pleasure being around like-minded people. There are always grumpy cats on any cruise, but the majority of those who are making the most of their cruise vacation greatly overshadow the unhappy ones.

Variety – There’s always something to do. If someone in the party has a different interest, and wants to attend a different activity, it’s easier to split up and go your separate ways on a cruise ship than on land.

Travel Experience - A great way to sample various countries, cities.

Disconnect – As long as the cost of Wi-Fi and at sea cell service is relatively high, I can use the excuse Ï’m out of the office and will not have access to Email or Voicemail.”

Relaxation – Unlike some of the land-based vacations I’ve taken, I’ve never felt like I need a vacation from my vacation after I return from a cruise.

Cost – Best bang for my buck. After embarkation, any expenditure is optional. Be frugal or extravagant, it’s up to me.

Feeling Pampered and Special - Arriving in my cabin at night to find my bed has been turned down and the cabin refreshed, the wait staff remembering my favorite appetizer each night, the bartender who not only remembers my name, but starts preparing my drink before I’ve had a chance to settle into my seat, these are some of the small things that make my cruise enjoyable.

Fewer Decisions - As a single person, who is also in management, a cruise allows me to have days that don’t require thought provoking decisions. The hardest decisions I have to make on a cruise are usually as mundane as whether to dine in the WindJammer or the Main Dining Room, attend the Belly Flop Competition or the Trivia contest, a Bloody Mary or Mimosa, etc.

AND THE NUMBER 1 REASON I LIKE TO CRUISE:

SEA DAYS
– Sitting on my balcony, or on deck as the sound of the ocean lulls me into a state of calmness, while the sea breezes kiss my face
. There's nothing like being out on the open sea.

I like the way you think. These are some of mine, not in any order:

1) The magic room fairy that comes in while you're away and resets your room.

2) I love your one about decisions. Deciding between trivia, reading, or watching an ice carving demonstration is way easier than deciding on what business process is going to be used for the next 5 years. No one's judging me on whether I made the right choice or not.

3) Meeting people from other countries. Love to find out how people in other countries live.

4) Disconnecting from the grid. People know you're going to be totally out of contact and are ok with it.

5) Sunrises and sunsets on the ocean cannot be surpassed.

6) Cheesy comedians

7) Listening to complainers. Really, this is something both my DW and I enjoy, believe it or not. Because at the end of the complaining session, we always respond with "But then you ARE on a cruise."

8) It requires as much or as little planning as you want to do. Unlike land vacations where sitting around the hotel is not an option, sitting around on your balcony watching the blue water pass by is ok.

In 9 weeks we will sail on my 58th cruise, so I have spent more than a year of my like on cruise ships starting as a single in my 30's, then getting engaged on RCCL and doing honeymoon on another ship. I feel at home on a ship love the bars, the shows the sunsets the trivia the pools etc etc, love having everything so close and also visiting great ports in Caribbean, Hawaii and Europe.

I like that it is a 3 hour non-stop flight to the boats in Florida. I really enjoy the 1st day sea day, and I can sleep til noon get up in pajamas and walk onto the balcony in the middle of the ocean to get what is always amazing cruise started. Knowing I have no very geriatric 16 year old dog to care for a few days. Mom's on a very needed vacation. Taking lots of sunset pix off my balcony and capturing the occasional thunderstorm in our wake.

I really enjoy each ships unique style. Meeting new people! Fun shows. Knowing there always something fun or entertaining to do. Generally great fun crew. Nice drink and food. Fun ports to visit. Only 1 unpacking.[emoji2]. Sadly packing. Looking forward to the next cruise. Getting excited for Liberty and her class in March[emoji41]!

Reason for me is not having to go to work and listen to all the drama

the rest in no order

I love not having to cook or clean for the week.

and love relaxing and most days waking up in a different place. Gives me something to look forward too

Ahhh Great question

For Me it was to see more of the world at the begining ( done 4 cruises soon to be 3 eastern carib 3rd will be on March 7 , 1 westrn carib, 1 southern Carib.) we took the kids on the first 2 cruises very different then just My Prettyone and I on the latter cruises NO KIDS . We love the food ( We do not have to clean up ) We love the ships all we have been on so far , have had some no so great staff members but Meh we all have bad days . We cruise now only to be with each other see the sites meet new people recharge the body batteries and take things as they come really , OH the reason we are sort of last minute on this Eastern Carb Hal cruise is cause I awoke to another day of -38C this morning it has been a very very cold winter where I live this year and to be honest I am fed up with it lol !!!

I have been cruising since a child and have always enjoyed it. The entire "ship experience" is what keeps me coming back. So much to do (if I want to), great service, good food, and congenial people. As to the food, as mentioned, this is very subjective. I am not a picky eater and enjoy the selection available on a ship. If I ever found the food unacceptable over an entire cruise, I would not go on that ship again.

Thanks everyone for responding to my post.....so in reading thru them almost all of them do not put much emphasis on food. so that is what I don't understand all the complaints about food????

Oh don't get it wrong, food matters for us...it just isn't the priority. If one meal doesn't satisfy me, I order something else. There are simply too many food options on board a cruise ship for me to invest precious vacation time whining about it. For others, it's a really big deal.

I cruise because it's a convenient and cost-effective way to travel.

I know I am in the minority here on CC, but I like the activities during the day (like trivia, puzzle games, piano bar) and evening entertainment (production shows, headliners, lounge bands/singers). There is always something going to stimulate my senses!

We cruise because we don't like sitting still.

Even our land vacations are generally road trips, hopping from place to place. Short attention span, I guess.

I can't say we've ever gone hungry on any cruise, and we've found little to complain about. I suppose it would be different if we were fuss-buckets, or had serious allergies or dietary issues. The restaurants we choose to dine in on any vacation aren't usually 5-star (on land we do try to avoid chains, at least, but we're fine with a diner frequented by locals), because I'd rather pay more for experiences than for food.

In reading a lot of recent posts lately on here mainly the complainers...I have a very simple question why do you cruise? seems to me the majority of complaining is about the food. so I am going to assume that is a big reason that is very important. if that is the case save a lot of money and just go to 5 star restaurants! for me food is a small factor on a cruise....I can eat good at home....there are so many more things way more important than the food. but it seems that if food is marginal the cruise is bad! why?

We enjoy the calming effect of the ocean, the daily pampering, the 24/7 food, the entertainment and fun things to do within walking distance, the isolation from the outside world, and waking up to a different place everyday without having to pack and unpack multiple times...all things not easily gotten together on a land vacation.

Why we cruise

1- no driving for DH we go to sleep and wake up at a new place almost everyday

2- price no too bad considering a place to sleep, food and entertainment included

3- I DON'T HAVE TO COOK!! Nor figure out WHAT to cook. They choose what they want! It's awesome!

4- I don't do laundry or make my bed till I go home!

5- I don't get cell phone plans for while we are away so no phone calls or TEXTING! Can enjoy quality family time!

You may have an occasional rude person, or something you ate doesn't taste the best, but hey that can happen anywhere so get over it!

Why we cruise

1- no driving for DH we go to sleep and wake up at a new place almost everyday

2- price no too bad considering a place to sleep, food and entertainment included

3- I DON'T HAVE TO COOK!! Nor figure out WHAT to cook. They choose what they want! It's awesome!

4- I don't do laundry or make my bed till I go home!

5- I don't get cell phone plans for while we are away so no phone calls or TEXTING! Can enjoy quality family time!

You may have an occasional rude person, or something you ate doesn't taste the best, but hey that can happen anywhere so get over it!

Now I like those reasons but for us it is probably this:

Get on

Unpack

Do as much or as little as we want

Different waterfront location every day

No housework for ether of us

No work for either of us

Time together. ;)

And all that for less than the cost of a hotel each night and three meals.

We sail at about $400 a night for a balcony [for 2], a reasonable hotel will set us back about $150 a night, we went to a function the other night [the food was about cruise standard] it was $150 for the food. A buffet lunch will cost at least $50, breakfast at a Hotel about $50 so that's the same $$ before we even pay transport costs [petrol, flights whatever] or any entertainment, I know those figures will vary depending on where you are but they are pretty much what we pay. :D

But then they go and ruin it all and make us get off the ship at the end :mad:

Edited by GUT2407

1. Unpack once

2. No cooking

3. Travel while you sleep

4. Laundry done for you

Our last cruise was a 32 day cruise from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles. We got a few amenities from the ship, plus ones we brought with us. As my wife said, "Our mini suite was about the size of a motor home"

Sitting out on our balcony, listening to (very quiet) music from our tablets and watching the ocean, was so totally relaxing.

Like many others who have posted, I enjoy the variety that a cruise vacation provides. As was mentioned earlier, it truly is the total vacation package.

From the time I board the ship, I'm in another world. I enjoy all things connected to the water--chilling on the balcony, watching the wake of the ship as we move through open ocean, waving to people on other ships (or smaller fishing boats) as we head in or out of ports. I love trying new things (activities, games, food) that I'd probably never get to try at home. I enjoy meeting new people and making new friends (including the wonderful staff and crew). I unpack once, but visit several different places. I spend a week or more not having to sweep, mop, dust, vacuum, shovel snow, cook, wash dishes or clean a toilet. It's all good.

:D

I cruise because its a good way for a solo traveller to have a safe holiday, but I also like seeing different places.

I dont really understand the idea that some people have that appear to be based on cruising in bygone days when Hercule Poirot was arriving for dinner every night all dolled up to the nines. Those days are long since gone and Cruising really isn't anything more than mass market package tours, even in the Davina YC, so when I board Im not looking for much and if anything isn't to my liking - its only a few weeks out of my life and tomorrow is another day with loads of new things to see.

We have done 10 cruises in the last 6 years and have 2 more booked for the next year. Being on a cruise is the most relaxing way to travel, no driving, cleaning, or cooking! Some people live to complain, anyone that says they couldn't find anything to eat on a cruise has major issues with life. If something isn't good, ask for something else!

I cruise because it's a convenient and cost-effective way to travel.

I know I am in the minority here on CC, but I like the activities during the day (like trivia, puzzle games, piano bar) and evening entertainment (production shows, headliners, lounge bands/singers). There is always something going to stimulate my senses!

I must be in a minority too then..... :-)

A number of years ago my sister asked me the same question, why we cruise. My response was and still is: when we are old, sitting in our rockers on a porch somewhere, I don't want to say "Gee, I sure wish we'd gone to (destination)". Instead, I want to be able to say "Gee, do you remember when we saw (destination)" We are already doing this - having been to several countries where it is not safe to be right now and are grateful to have been there and seen things that many others haven't.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)