Viking on the Mississippi

Host Jazzbeau

We greatly enjoyed a 7 day New Orleans to Memphis cruise last fall on the American Duchess (American Queen Steamboat Company) with Road Scholar.  Our cruise included 3 nights in New Orleans pre-cruise (included with Road Scholar) and 2 nights in Memphis DIY post-cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

The two companies mentioned by @steamboats also sail the Columbia River.  We have much more interest in the Columbia than in the Mississippi--more dramatic scenery.

Yes, both also sail the Columbia River.... and yes, the scenery up there is breathtaking - from rainforest to desert! Not to mention the hughe locks!

But I also like the Ole Miss...

steamboats

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 6:15 AM, Peachypooh said:

Has anyone looked into this river cruise? Thanks.

You can find active Viking Mississippi topics in Viking River Roll Calls.

Viking River has just recently added new cruises to the four they offer.

We have booked two of these cruises for Sept 2022 and Apr 2023.

We’re hoping Viking will take possession of another one of their 6 new Viking Mississippi River boats for this late 2023 cruise.

This will be our 7th Viking adventure River/Ocean since 2013. We booked the shorter 8 day America's Heartland for 2022 and the other Southern half 8 day Heart of the Delta for 2023. Always like to wait for Viking to get the kinks out before we try the longer full 15 day cruise in 2023.

Looking forward to the shorter flights to St Louis and back rather than (SEA) Seattle to (LHR) Heathrow. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As we're just around a year away from the first scheduled sailing, I was curious about the progress on the build-out on the new Viking Mississippi ship.

I came across a couple pictures and an article that helped me feel better about making this cruise in Sept 2022.

Pictures are from  Edison Offshore shipyards.

One was taken inside Nov 2020 and the other later as it was awaiting floating early June 2021  to their Homa Shipyard 17 miles down the intercostal waterway for final assembly. Not sure of the one floating but it looks to be her. Hope to spot updates on the progress.

The Unfinished Viking Mississippi Cruise Ship Will Soon Be on The Move on Louisiana's Intracoastal Waterway | Melinda Crow | NewsBreak

HOUMA, LOUISIANA-- Edison Chouest Offshore (ECO) is currently building the first river cruise ship for Viking Cruises, with an option for eight more ships, according to the Houma Today, the local newspaper where one of ECO's shipyards is located. The paper estimates that will generate eight to 10 years of work for the shipbuilder. The Viking ship has been located at the company's Larose facility, but an employee told News Break the ship would be floated on the canal to the Houma facility as soon as Saturday 05/01 where it would be completed. The distance between the two shipyards is over 17 miles.

More on the Jones Act maneuver. Wow $173.5 million.

How Viking’s Mississippi cruise ship will obtain Jones Act compliance - DredgeWire : DredgeWire

EdisonChouest.jpg

EdisonChouest01.jpg

• 7 months later...

I've been following this Viking Mississippi product for over 5 years now as my posts show. As I always said, "Build it and they will come" They found a way even with the Jones Act. Finally found some pictures of the New River Ship Viking Mississippi float-out. Articles are dated one month ago (3/7) but may have been longer.

Feeling better about being onboard her in 157 days.

Image_5VikingMiss5.jpg

VikingMississippi_Float_Out3.jpg

VikingMississippi_Float_Out2.jpg

VikingMississippi_Float_Out1.jpg

vikingmississippifloatout05.jpg

• Like 1

As I always said, "Build it and they will come" They found a way even with the Jones Act. Finally found some pictures of the New River Ship Viking Mississippi float-out. Articles are dated one month ago (3/7) but may have been longer.

Feeling better about being onboard her in 157 days.

Image_5VikingMiss5.jpg

VikingMississippi_Float_Out3.jpg

VikingMississippi_Float_Out2.jpg

VikingMississippi_Float_Out1.jpg

vikingmississippifloatout05.jpg

Just remember she will need an all-US (citizen or green card) crew.  Every business in the US is having trouble hiring/keeping staff lately, and Viking has to start from square one.  So expect some rough edges on your cruise.  [But if Viking pays more than American Cruise Line and American Queen, they may be able to poach the best of their staff.  One can hope!]

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Pretty quiet here.

Cruise critic review:

Viking Mississippi's Maiden Voyage is August 2022

Viking Mississippi will enter service on August 27, 2022. The maiden cruise will be the one-week America's Heartland voyage that travels from St. Louis to St. Paul.

Any CC members on board this Viking Mississippi cruise?

Would be interested in hearing about your Viking experience.

We'll be boarding this new Viking River Cruise ship in 38 days Sept 10th from ST. Louis to St. Paul.

Can't wait to get back to cruising with Viking. Our 6th with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Recent post on another Viking River Roll Call says Viking anounced the cancellation of the Aug 27th cruise St Louis to St Paul on Aug 18th.

The Sept 3rd and Sept 10th cruises appear to still be on.

Not my call. Just passing this unofficial comment on. 

8 hours ago, bcorre2 said:

Recent post on another Viking River Roll Call says Viking anounced the cancellation of the Aug 27th cruise St Louis to St Paul on Aug 18th.

The Sept 3rd and Sept 10th cruises appear to still be on.

Not my call. Just passing this unofficial comment on. 

Modified: The 8/27 departure from St. Louis is still happening. Some of the cabins are not ready, but all of the public spaces are. Those affected have been notified. Hope your cabin is ready.

Not moving but starting to put their plan out there on Marine Traffic. ETA: Memphis 2022-08-23 22:00

vikingtomemphis.jpg

viking tomemphis.jpg