First cruise in 7 years - Help!

EagleRockers

After an involuntary 7 year break from cruising, I will be on the Ruby next month. I’m feeling a little rusty about cruising again, so I would appreciate any tips you could pass along regarding the Ruby and Princess Cruises in general. I have a mini on the Emerald deck; Mexican Riviera itinerary.

Many thanks for any advice offered!

Better have your booking marked (META upgrade only to next cat, suite) or you could get moved to another mini on Dolphin deck which are uncovered. ;)

Thats if you like your fully covered mini on Emerald deck. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

• Get to the ship on time.
  • Relax
  • Don't stress
  • Don't hog chairs around the pool
  • Say please and thank you
  • Make friends with your shipmates
  • Make friends with the crew
  • Read Bimmer09's current trip report. Different itinerary (much), but lots of good stuff about the ship that should help.

Pretty much same as it has always been. :D

Have a great time. The Ruby is a great ship.

Sounds like you haven't lost your touch. :)

Mini on Emerald sounds good. And yes, I do have my TA mark no upgrades. We will sail on the Ruby in Feb.

The MR is a nice itinerary. We like to takes ships tours, and the ones offered are nice.

I know you will enjoy every minute. ;)

Patti

Don't forget about the great 24 hour food in the International Cafe, the sushi and tapas at Vines, and the specialty coffee cafe. Not sure about Ruby, but Internet service has been available in the cabins on my last two cruises, (Emerald and Star), so bring your iPad if you have one.

At least you'll have an easy trip to SP (hopefully not as rainy as it is right now...you'll be getting the showers we have right now in a short while).

If you haven't been on a ship with the International Cafe, you should make sure to check it out. In the grand atrium, look for the display cases of food.

On the two MR cruises we did, I looked through some guidebooks and we just ended up walking around, even though one of those times, my hubby negotiated with our taxi driver in Mazatlan for a guided tour.

In the morning coffee out side in the aft area- that's where my DH & I spent our early mornings waking up and enjoying the wake.

As mentioned previously Read Bimmer's tale of Ruby! He has great pictures of the Ruby and it will give you a great feel for Ruby

Enjoy your cruise!

Gabrielle

Don't forget about the great 24 hour food in the International Cafe, the sushi and tapas at Vines, and the specialty coffee cafe. Not sure about Ruby, but Internet service has been available in the cabins on my last two cruises, (Emerald and Star), so bring your iPad if you have one.

Internet in every cabin we have been in on 5 different ships. No sweat:)

After an involuntary 7 year break from cruising, I will be on the Ruby next month. I’m feeling a little rusty about cruising again, so I would appreciate any tips you could pass along regarding the Ruby and Princess Cruises in general. I have a mini on the Emerald deck; Mexican Riviera itinerary.

Many thanks for any advice offered!

In the past seven years the biggest change on Princess cruises probably is NO SMOKING in either cabins or on balconies.

The IC (International Café) has tasty treats 24 hours a day. Don't miss checking it out. ;)

Calling the DINE Line is the best way to make Specialty Restaurants reservation s... not like going in person as it once was.

We've loved our Ruby cruises! Look forward to having a WONDERFUL time! :D

LuLu

I can relate to your question! I sailed on the small Royal Princess in 2007 and didn't cruise again until 2013 on the Emerald Princess (same as Ruby)! I was concerned about being on a large ship! I was surprised you don't get that over whelming huge ship feel at all as public spaces are laid out very well.

No worries, as someone said, just like riding a bike! :) I love the International Café for breakfast and lunch. Quiet early in the a.m., and great salads at lunch. I don't mind the Horizon Court but IC has a nice feel to it. Sailing single, a better fit for me.

I've cruised since 1982, so I've seen all the changes. Cruising is still a very enjoyable experience.

Try to get onboard in time to have lunch in the MDR that is open(til 1:30PM). Check the Patter(daily events paper) to see which dining room is open. We're just off the Ruby in January(same cruise as Bimmer09) and having lunch upon boarding is a fantastic way to acquaint yourself with the great week you have in front of you! I had the avocado & bay shrimp appetizer and the orange soufflé desert and they were outstanding! See some of Bimmer09's food pictures to see what you are in for.

• Get to the ship on time.
  • Relax
  • Don't stress
  • Don't hog chairs around the pool
  • Say please and thank you
  • Make friends with your shipmates
  • Make friends with the crew
  • Read Bimmer09's current trip report. Different itinerary (much), but lots of good stuff about the ship that should help.

Pretty much same as it has always been. :D

Have a great time. The Ruby is a great ship.

I soooooooooooo wish more people would do that!!!

Thank you for your words, Thrak. LOL. OP, go check out Adagio bar by Sabatinis. Gorgeous views.

We cruised on Crown recently and discovered the Adagio. It was pretty underutilized but was a very nice venue. I don't think a lot of people knew it was there. There is also an almost unused public area right outside. I think it was actually a smoking area - we didn't go out there but a few people went in and out and seemed to be smokers.

We saw the Princess Jazz Band was going to play in Adagio one night so we went and hung out. Not a big crowd but the band was quite appreciative of having a jazz loving audience. They were pretty good. We stayed for a fair bit of time but then decided we had to go to sleep.

Edited by Thrak