Voyager of the seas , returning to Australia due to cyclone?

Be dreadful.

The three days is based on how likely you are to be from shore, three days on a Coastal cruise you'd think would be ok but they have a blanket rule.

Sounds like one of those cases where going by the rules isn't necessarily the correct option. :( They should have some sort of waver in place for situations like this. What happens if they are over in Fiji, part way through the cruise and they have to make a run straight back to Australia? That's three days solid sailing, I think. Our Christmas cruise had two sea days to Noumea then another whole sea day and two nights across to Fiji.

Yes I am all for safety first but I can't see how having an 11 month old on board in an emergency would be handled any differently to having a 12 month old? Kids that age don't suddenly become easier to deal with when they turn 1 (speaking from experience here :) )

Exactly, and one of those babies on FB was all but 12 months old.

Yes I am all for safety first but I can't see how having an 11 month old on board in an emergency would be handled any differently to having a 12 month old? Kids that age don't suddenly become easier to deal with when they turn 1 (speaking from experience here :) )

I accept that but when you are making rules you have to set down specifics, f they let an 11 month on someone would say 10 months no different than 11 months, then 9 to 10, then 8 to 9, where do you call enough.

Sounds like one of those cases where going by the rules isn't necessarily the correct option. :( They should have some sort of waver in place for situations like this. What happens if they are over in Fiji, part way through the cruise and they have to make a run straight back to Australia? That's three days solid sailing, I think. Our Christmas cruise had two sea days to Noumea then another whole sea day and two nights across to Fiji.

I agree but corporations can be worse than governments , the rules are the rules and no flexibility is applied.

I accept that but when you are making rules you have to set down specifics, f they let an 11 month on someone would say 10 months no different than 11 months, then 9 to 10, then 8 to 9, where do you call enough.

Yes I agree - I was more thinking of this specific case. I am no maritime expert but it seems to me the rule about 3 sailing days/no one under 12 months is to prevent a situation where -

a) the child is in a life boat a long way from shore for perhaps an extended period after an abandon ship situation or

b) a long way from shore/out of helicopter range in a medical emergency as the medical area is not geared for young kids.

Neither of these would apply to a 3 days at sea sailing along the Qld Coast so they should be really be a bit flexible in such unusual circumstances. Or if they are going to be inflexible stop taking anyone under 12 months no matter what the itinerary.

I agree with the original ruling, based on the published itineraries, there does have to be a line drawn somewhere. But to cancel people's cruises at the last minute after changing the itinerary is a bit on the nose. That's when they need flexibility.

Why don't they just change their rules to 12 months, then there would be no problems. How many babies under 12 months would there be on cruises?

That would seem more sensible. At least people would know right from the beginning so wouldn't book a cruise until the child was over 12 months.

Yes I agree - I was more thinking of this specific case. I am no maritime expert but it seems to me the rule about 3 sailing days/no one under 12 months is to prevent a situation where -

a) the child is in a life boat a long way from shore for perhaps an extended period after an abandon ship situation or

b) a long way from shore/out of helicopter range in a medical emergency as the medical area is not geared for young kids.

Neither of these would apply to a 3 days at sea sailing along the Qld Coast so they should be really be a bit flexible in such unusual circumstances. Or if they are going to be inflexible stop taking anyone under 12 months no matter what the itinerary.

I agree coastal cruises should be different and when they make a last minute change it should be applied with a bit of common sense.

Why don't they just change their rules to 12 months, then there would be no problems. How many babies under 12 months would there be on cruises?

Seemingly there's enough that it's already caused a few reports on facebook!

Given that process works there'd be more that benefit from allowing it, than the number of times this issue has arisen. Sounds more like a case of penalising more for the sake of a limited number of issues.

Passenger just boarded has shown itinerary change letter for the Rhapsody cruise as Sydney, Newcastle, 3 days at sea, Luganville, Champagne Bay, Vila, Lifou, Mare, 2 days at sea Sydney...

Feel for the off loaded passengers but fine print is fine print in regards to changes of itinerary as well as infants..... booking at this time of the year has it's hazards.........the itinerary may change again!!! .... all depends on the storm... thoughts are with the islanders :)

I hope they are not on their way home, they left two days ago:eek:

Sorry...., the Carnival website is not been very helpful at the moment..... (its not showing any itinerary info :rolleyes:), and when I replied there tracking map showed her heading back, but now its showing her heading up to the islands.

Sorry about that :(

Sorry...., the Carnival website is not been very helpful at the moment..... (its not showing any itinerary info :rolleyes:), and when I replied there tracking map showed her heading back, but now its showing her heading up to the islands.

Sorry about that :(

It's ok, I figured that....but then thought maybe they are on their way back due to the cyclone activity. Hopefully they can move around it too.

Chez

Be dreadful.

The three days is based on how likely you are to be from shore, three days on a Coastal cruise you'd think would be ok but they have a blanket rule.

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men". ;)

Douglas Bader

So have I got this right....

An entire family will miss out on their cruise because of the weather and the resulting itinerary change??

Does RCI compensate for this in any way??

Actually two whole families, both with almost identical situations. Extended family planning to cruise including a baby each, both due to turn 1 on the cruise. Both families also celebrating other birthdays on the cruise. Edit - one baby turning 1 in the next few days, the other's birthday is early April.

They were at airports waiting to board flights to Sydney when they got the news. I think the Nannas in both cases are still cruising.

In one case they are now flying to Vanuatu for a resort stay then will join the cruise for the return trip. Not sure if their TA organised this and/or whether RCI offered it.

Don't know whether the other family has been able to arrange anything.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Marine traffic shows voyager next port Hobart 12th march, Hobart port also shows new date, will believe it when she sails past Eden, we board her in Sydney on the 16th.Weather a tad cooler in Tassie than Fiji.

Public Holiday and hitting the wineries, traffic will be gnarly.:eek:

Not a public Holiday in NSW tomorrow Mic :(.

Until my son commented an hour ago I didn't even know it was one elsewhere.