Voyager of the seas , returning to Australia due to cyclone?

Saw a post in a weather forum that said Voyager of the seas was cancelling their Fijian ports and returning to Australia after their Noumea port due to the probable formation of a cyclone . Anyone have any further info on this?

Saw a post in a weather forum that said Voyager of the seas was cancelling their Fijian ports and returning to Australia after their Noumea port due to the probable formation of a cyclone . Anyone have any further info on this?

Its showing in Noumea at the moment. I don't know any further information than that.

Edited by icat2000

Gold Coast Cruisers is on the Voyager of the seas at the moment and she posted this on Facebook last night:

Well, it's all happening here.

We had 6 metre waves out of Sydney but the Voyager of the Seas handles weather really well. However, tomorrow we dock in in Noumea but sadly can not continue on to Fiji as the cyclone that has formed is travelling at speed between Fiji and New Caledonia causing 14 metre, yes 14 metre waves!! Because of the safety of the passengers and the ship the Captain advised we will have to make our way rapidly toward the Australia coast to avoid further weather.

Will update you as we hear more.

Gold Coast Cruisers just posted this, this morning:

Morning! We are just coming into Noumea and will dock there at 0800. Once we leave here tonight we will be at sea for the next 7 days. Where we're going we don't know but are heading toward the east of Australia.

if I hear any more from her, I will post it here :)

Bad luck for those on board wanting to get to Fiji, safety is paramount so I think heading away from the area is the best course of action. Hope all on the islands are safe as well.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Bad luck for those on board wanting to get to Fiji, safety is paramount so I think heading away from the area is the best course of action. Hope all on the islands are safe as well.:D

Yes, indeed.

I expect we'll see a fair bit of storm damage when we head up that way in a couple of weeks. Hope the seas have calmed down by then :eek:

Yes, indeed.

I expect we'll see a fair bit of storm damage when we head up that way in a couple of weeks. Hope the seas have calmed down by then :eek:

Yes, infrastructure on the islands is not that great to start with, more damage will set it back further.:(

Gold Coast Cruisers is on the Voyager of the seas at the moment and she posted this on Facebook last night:

Gold Coast Cruisers just posted this, this morning:

if I hear any more from her, I will post it here :)

Thanks for that I hope all are safe and well I bet there are a few suffering sea sickness.

Rhapsody is due to depart from Sydney this afternoon for a 12 night cruise. The roll call indicates it's a Pacific Island cruise so I guess it would have been scheduled to head for New Caledonia first. I guess that itinerary will change as well.

The cyclone is slow moving and probably won't reach Vanuatu for another few days.

Rhapsody is due to depart from Sydney this afternoon for a 12 night cruise. The roll call indicates it's a Pacific Island cruise so I guess it would have been scheduled to head for New Caledonia first. I guess that itinerary will change as well.

The cyclone is slow moving and probably won't reach Vanuatu for another few days.

There was a thread asking about this the other day, 'm sure that the Capt will do what's best and they'll have a great time anyway.

To us it is part of the fun.

Rhapsody is due to depart from Sydney this afternoon for a 12 night cruise. The roll call indicates it's a Pacific Island cruise so I guess it would have been scheduled to head for New Caledonia first. I guess that itinerary will change as well..

Rhapsody is no longer going to the South Pacific, she is instead going to go to

Newcastle tomorrow then a new Queensland itinerary.

Thanks for that, it must be a logistical nightmare for someone at HO having to make last minute Port and Shore tour arrangements.

Just hope it's not like one cruise I was booked on [but had to cancel for other reasons] where they changed itineraries to include an O/N in Newcastle then a 2nd stop here on the way back to Sydney.

Now 3 days in Newie might be OK for some but I spend every day there anyway.

That will probably be much more comfortable for everyone but I suspect there will be a few disappointed cruisers onboard. ;)

Yes, the cries of 'discrimination' have started again on Facebook over a last minute cancellation of individual bookings ordered by Royal for today's Rhapsody cruise (due to age of infant). It would really suck to have that happen - cyclones do not discriminate and neither does Royal - but policies regarding passenger safety are paramount.

Has anyone heard anything about the Carnival Legend? ( I don't do facebook)

My girlfriend and hubby left Friday for a South Pacific Itinerary. I know they had Noumea, Lifou, Mare and Isle of Pines on the itineray:eek:

This is their first cruise.......way to go!!!!!

Chez

xx

Yes, the cries of 'discrimination' have started again on Facebook over a last minute cancellation of individual bookings ordered by Royal for today's Rhapsody cruise (due to age of infant). It would really suck to have that happen - cyclones do not discriminate and neither does Royal - but policies regarding passenger safety are paramount.

For some odd reason Royal Caribbean allows babies that are over six months to travel unless there are three or more consecutive sea days, in which case the infant has to be over one year. Can't quite understand the logic behind that, especially in the case of an itinerary change. Those South Pacific cruises always have two sea days going to and from Australia, I can't really see how one extra day would make a difference especially as the ship was avoiding the bad weather and sticking close to the Queensland coast. Does any one know the reasoning behind this?

I felt really sorry for the family whose baby is turning one in a few days, they would have been celebrating three family birthdays on that cruise. Now the nana is going on her own.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

My girlfriend and hubby left Friday for a South Pacific Itinerary. I know they had Noumea, Lifou, Mare and Isle of Pines on the itineray:eek:

Chez

xx

Its one way to find out whether you love cruising or not. My first cruise we came in behind hurricane Sandy into Fort Lauderdale. Good times. Found out I'm a good sailer.

Chez

xx

The info on the Marine Traffic website was a couple of days old, still showing off the coast of Port Macquarie, but it did say she was due at the Iles of Pines today.

For some odd reason Royal Caribbean allows babies that are over six months to travel unless there are three or more consecutive sea days, in which case the infant has to be over one year. Can't quite understand the logic behind that, especially in the case of an itinerary change. those cruises always have two sea days going to and from Australia, I can't really see how one extra day would make a difference especially as the ship was avoiding the bad weather and sticking close to the Queensland coast. Does any one know the reasoning behind this?

I felt really sorry for the family whose baby is turning one in a few days, they would have been celebrating three family birthdays on that cruise. Now teh nana is going on her own.

Be dreadful.

The three days is based on how likely you are to be from shore, three days on a Coastal cruise you'd think would be ok but they have a blanket rule.

Its one way to find out whether you love cruising or not. My first cruise we came in behind hurricane Sandy into Fort Lauderdale. Good times. Found out I'm a good sailer.

Our 2nd was North Qld when Monica hit, it persuaded herself that she'd be fine in spite of earlier problems with smooth conditions.

Yes I am all for safety first but I can't see how having an 11 month old on board in an emergency would be handled any differently to having a 12 month old? Kids that age don't suddenly become easier to deal with when they turn 1 (speaking from experience here :) )