Table For Two....................

nycruise

There's lots of tables for two - however, they are close together. Don't count on just the two of you all alone. The people at the table next to you may strike up a conversation as we have found to happen. Don't expect your dining experience to be intimate.

No, I would not say two tops are "readily" available at your time dining. Much depends on the time you arrive at the dining room and the demand for two tops at the time you arrive. That said, we never have waited more than 15 minutes on Carnival for a two top.

It does seem to depend on your arrival time. My husband and I usually go at 6pm or so and we always ask for a table for 2 and we are always accommodated. That is one reason we really enjoy anytime dining. Typically we even ask for the same waiter's section once we find a waiter we "mesh with". Just be warned if you go at peak time, which seems to be 7pm-8pm you will have a wait for a table.

Which ship? The Fantasy class ships I've sailed on have two tops mostly next to each other. The Spirit class has some along the upper rails and other places that are not right on top of their neighbors.

Which ship? The Fantasy class ships I've sailed on have two tops mostly next to each other. The Spirit class has some along the upper rails and other places that are not right on top of their neighbors.

It's actually the Vista and I realize there isn't much info as of yet as to the number of 2 tops.

It's actually the Vista and I realize there isn't much info as of yet as to the number of 2 tops.

In that case it's probably too soon to tell but you could ask on the Everything Vista sub-forum listed at the top of the Carnival forum if you like. Someone there may be in the know :)

Since it is the Vista, no one knows yet. But we have never had a problem with getting a table for two with ATD. That being said, there are mere inches between the tables for two on the other ships. Close enough to make conversation extremely odd and uncomfortable and is definitely not a private, intimate setting. I'm hoping that is one of the things that is made better on the Vista.

In our experience, tables for 2 are available. However, service isn't conducted as a single table. Several 2 tops are in a row. All tables in the row were served the same course at the same time. We sat next to a table that ordered 3-4 appetizers each while we had 1 each. (Totally understand you can eat as much as you wish- no judgement there.) the entire row of 2 tops had to wait on receiving their entree until the appetizer course for the entire row was completed. Hence, we never do ATD anymore.

We had ATD on Breeze, just best friend and I. After two nights requesting a table for two and essentially sitting at a table for six with just inches separating the two tops we opted to eat elsewhere the remaining 4 nights of the cruise. I never thought I would be having dinner on Lido, but very very disappointed in the layout of the MDR.

We had a table for 2 every night on our last cruise and we fortunately,

never waited for a table to be available, and we requested to dine with the same wait staff each night. Unlike what others have said they experience, when we were seated those around us were in varying stages of their meals and it had no bearing on our service.

It sounds like the experience is different depending on the ship. We have never experienced anything like what is described by RunawayParent! We get a 2 top and are served as you would be served in a restaurant. When our food is ready it is brought to us. It has nothing to do with waiting for other nearby tables.

Being close to the neighboring tables is fine with us, but don't want to actually have to share a large table. Have done that in the past and it's hit or miss regarding tablemates.

I agree with this. The tables being so close, you do get a chance to talk to the people next to you, if you and, they wish, but there is enough of a separation that you have control over when you leave. You dont have to wait for table mates to finish two appetizers, and then two mains, while you are quickly done with one of each, and dont want to linger over coffee.

So while you are not exactly at a private quiet table for two, it is your table and you do have control over how long you stay, when to leave etc, and can cut the conversation short if you wish to move on and eat and then get out of there.

Unless I know my tablemates going in, from now on it is YTD for me, and table for two (or one:D)

It sounds like the experience is different depending on the ship. We have never experienced anything like what is described by RunawayParent! We get a 2 top and are served as you would be served in a restaurant. When our food is ready it is brought to us. It has nothing to do with waiting for other nearby tables.

same in my experience.

We just got off the Fantasy on Friday. We had ATD and joined the line at 545PM when the restaurant opened. We had no problems getting a 2-top in the same section with the same wait staff every night. Most of the other people in line were parties larger than 2. We had good eye sight to the door and the line got long after about 630PM. In our dining room only about 50% of the tables were filled during the 1-1.5 hour time we were there but most of the 2-tops were. We liked the idea of having a fixed table to get to know the staff, etc. We only did ATD because we booked late. With that said, if you really do not want to wait and want a 2-top then go early. It seems that on the shorter cruises people eat later on the longer cruises a bit earlier.

We never had a problem with service, on the Fantasy, our 2-top was not directly next to another 2-top so we didn't have the problem described above however the tables are close. We didn't mind that and even conversed with some people from time to time. One of the advantages of having a fixed table is that you can set the expectations with the staff and that usually smooth's things out. We actually received our meals extremely quickly much more quickly than I would expect on land. The experience did not feel rushed although it felt "efficient" in the sense that they made sure dishes moved along quickly so people didn't linger.

Another factor for us is that we were on one of the smaller ships and we had a large contingent of spring breakers who most likely did not eat early and/or didn't eat in the MDR at all so it probably alleviated demand somewhat. We ate breakfast in the MDR every day except one port day we had to leave early for an excursion and made do with room service.

On Carnival I would not be inclined to share a table with others although quite welcome to on other lines I have cruised with.

There's lots of tables for two - however, they are close together. Don't count on just the two of you all alone. The people at the table next to you may strike up a conversation as we have found to happen. Don't expect your dining experience to be intimate.

This is exactly true. You will most likely have couples on both sides of you. We have never had a problem with the proximity. Some times we have conversations with them sometimes not. Just depends on the people. Several times we have been beside young couples who are on their first cruise, and they will ask us about the different food choices, or things to do on the ship, etc.

I agree with this. The tables being so close, you do get a chance to talk to the people next to you, if you and, they wish, but there is enough of a separation that you have control over when you leave. You dont have to wait for table mates to finish two appetizers, and then two mains, while you are quickly done with one of each, and dont want to linger over coffee.

So while you are not exactly at a private quiet table for two, it is your table and you do have control over how long you stay, when to leave etc, and can cut the conversation short if you wish to move on and eat and then get out of there.

Unless I know my tablemates going in, from now on it is YTD for me, and table for two (or one:D)

Well put!!;)

I had heard the same response re. 2-tops being so close together for ATD.

We have early seating and always request a 2-top in the main area of the DR so definitely more intimate.