NEW Suite Upgrades....

I know, I'm just stirring the pot.

I was fortunate to get a large bonus. So we are considering upgrading to a GS from an E3 on a future cruise. The upgrade cost was anywhere between $1,600 and $5,000.

Where is the value? For $1,600 I could buy a premium drink package and 7 nights at a specialty restaurant (X two). The more I consider the possibilities, the less I think it's worthwhile to spend that much money.

Anyone out there would like to convince me?

You know better than anyone else what makes you happy. Looking at your signature shows me that you have several Radiance class cruises booked and you are Diamond Plus. D+ means you already have the CL and it's benefits plus Bogo on specialty dining nights 1 and two if you choose to do it.If you pick a GS you will double your space compared to an E3. You will get invited to a separate cocktail party and probably a deluxe lunch for suites at Chops or Giovanni's. The suite perks aren't nearly so important to a D+ compared to other levels of C&A. I don't particularly like the space in E balconies because of the very limited walking space in the cabin. I would bump myself up to a JS and get the walk in closet, extra storage, real bathroom, sitting area, and maneuvering room. This will cost you quite a bit less than a GS, depending on the cruise price, and still allow you to treat yourself.We booked a GS on Brilliance next year for a T/A because the price per person was very low compared to traditional pricing. We could have booked a JS or even a D for less but the pricing gaps allowed me to rationalize the added cabin price. So splurge if it makes you very happy.

Except use of the CL is not a perk....it is part of the fee...it is real estate paid for. Nothing to do with C&A Level...it can be one's very first cruise with RCI...pay for it, you get it....

No different from any land based resort/hotel...pay extra $$ for a suite, and you get "Club Level" privileges...

Fly first class and you have access to the presidential lounge...or whatever the particular airline calls it....it is something one pays extra for.

WE stayed in a Suite last summer in Disney...you could not even get on the elevator that took you to the floor that had the suites and lounges unless you paid for those privileges....nothing to do with how many times I stayed at Disney...all had to do with what I was paying for on that particular trip.

Same on a Cruise...I'm paying for the suite and everything that is included....I'm also D+, and can take advantage of those perks, based on my cruising history.

C&A "Perks" should not be confused with what staying in a Suite offers.

Exactly - well said.

We'll be heading south as soon as the grand kids don't like us anymore. Right now they're too young to know better. :D Rhode Island is the a nice state but pretty soon everyone will be on the dole and nobody to pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are in a similar mindset about our fair little state. Probably spend summers in RI and winters elsewhere.

I know, I'm just stirring the pot.

I was fortunate to get a large bonus. So we are considering upgrading to a GS from an E3 on a future cruise. The upgrade cost was anywhere between $1,600 and $5,000.

Where is the value? For $1,600 I could buy a premium drink package and 7 nights at a specialty restaurant (X two). The more I consider the possibilities, the less I think it's worthwhile to spend that much money.

I have to agree with Priusprof, value is in the eye of the beholder. I too am D+. We get the CL or at least DL perks. But I have done 2 GS's and 1 Crown Loft. What will I "pay" to get in a "gold card" suite? Well, that's up to only me. No one can tell you what or how to "value" something. Many on CC are leaving Royal Caribbean because Royal Caribbean is charging $12 for drinks. They consider that too much and not of "value" to them. Others just shrug their shoulders and deal with it.

So, "where is the value?" Good question. If drink packages are where it is for you then a suite is a waste of money. You won't get anymore drinks in a suite than in an inside cabin as you are D+. If it's space, separate dining area (on some ships), use of a Concierge for things, private sundeck, private beach at Labadee, etc. then it's worth it.

When we upgraded to a CL on Oasis, the total cost to upgrade from a JS for 2 was $305. An "offer I couldn't refuse." But honestly, after doing it, I would pay quite a bit more for it. Why? Well, I just loved the private deck and wonderful cabin. Loved the "gold card" beach at Labadee, the "gold card" sundeck. But I will only pay a finite amount before it becomes "not of value" to me.

If I were you, not knowing how much you paid for the E-3, $1600 for two? If so, that's $800 per person, I might do it. But what was the E-3? Was the E-3 $600 per person making the total for the GS $1400 per person? Or was the E-3 $1200 per person making the GS $2000 per person. Big difference. If it was $1600 per person, not for me. If it's $5000 to upgrade, I'd look at a CL and then again, it likely would be too much. Especially since I'm D+ and get those perks.

Well I don't think I will convince you. When we first started cruising we did several suites (GS and OS). After we turned D we started to book more balconies and JS.

I like the suites very much, but it is a lot of money. I think the JS is the best bang for your buck when it comes to space vs cost. But I really like booking a balcony on sale, or waiting until after final and seeing what is available. As you said, you can spend the money on so many other things than space.

I always consider the suites, but I usually end up booking JS or lower.

WOW - lots of posts. Sorry that I have not read them all, but can someone direct me to the details of the announcement, assuming it was actually released?

THANKS,

Tom

Don't worry... no announcement other than that there will be an announcement... and no really specific timeframe on that either!

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

Don't worry... no announcement other than that there will be an announcement... and no really specific timeframe on that either!

Thanks... I kind of assumed as much!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

So in the cruise critic live chat last month (Feb 2015) with Michael Bayley (CEO of Royal Caribbean Intl.) he made the follow comment with regard to a question around cruisers in Suites...

Michael Bayley:

Great question, we will be introducing a whole series of suite upgrades to be announced late spring.

I guess technically, it isn't even early spring yet, BUT since we have a suite booked for a late May sailing, I am more than curious about the "whole series of upgrades" and if any of them may be available late May

Does anyone have any additional information? Google isn't much help....

jHi There! We are also from Chattanooga (Hixson, actually). Just wanted to give you a Shout! We are sailing on the Oasis again in September.

... If it's space, separate dining area (on some ships), use of a Concierge for things, private sundeck, private beach at Labadee, etc. then it's worth it.

Could you elaborate on the "separate dining area"?

On NCL suite guests have the option of special dining areas (Cagney's) for breakfast and lunch. On newer ships there's "The Haven" for all meals. Celebrity has just added a special dining room on all their ships for suite guests. I saw this move on Celebrity as a response to NCL, whether it was or not.

My guess is that this has already been covered somewhere else on this thread - but I don't have multiple hours to catch up on this topic. :o

Tom

On NCL suite guests have the option of special dining areas (Cagney's) for breakfast and lunch. On newer ships there's "The Haven" for all meals. Celebrity has just added a special dining room on all their ships for suite guests. I saw this move on Celebrity as a response to NCL, whether it was or not.

My guess is that this has already been covered somewhere else on this thread - but I don't have multiple hours to catch up on this topic. :o

Tom

On some Royal Caribbean ships, this is Coastal Kitchen, which is a restaurant option for suite guests and Pinnacle level C&A guests, for breakfast, lunch (on sea days) and dinner, and there is a Suite Lounge for drinks and snacks.

On some Royal Caribbean ships, this is Coastal Kitchen, which is a restaurant option for suite guests and Pinnacle level C&A guests, for breakfast, lunch (on sea days) and dinner, and there is a Suite Lounge for drinks and snacks.

Thanks - I've never heard of Coastal Kitchen. We have enjoyed the Concierge Lounge on multiple ships... even forgoing dinner a few times, just snacking away while we relax and have a couple of drinks... no schedule, no rush, etc !!

Tom

Thanks - I've never heard of Coastal Kitchen. We have enjoyed the Concierge Lounge on multiple ships... even forgoing dinner a few times, just snacking away while we relax and have a couple of drinks... no schedule, no rush, etc !!

Tom

Oasis, Allure and Harmony have the Coastal Kitchen and Suite Lounge. Quantum and Anthem have a Coastal Kitchen and Concierge Lounge.

Edited by ARCruisinNana

Tom

Also, if you are in a Grand Suite and above or Pinnacle you can eat breakfast and lunch in the Chops Restaurant.

Thank you all for your kind words and comments.

It's about as late in Spring as you can get and still no announcement. Think I'll wait to make a decision on a GS until we find out what's to come.

Spring ended last night, welcome to summer

So in the cruise critic live chat last month (Feb 2015) with Michael Bayley (CEO of Royal Caribbean Intl.) he made the follow comment with regard to a question around cruisers in Suites...

Michael Bayley:

Great question, we will be introducing a whole series of suite upgrades to be announced late spring.

It's about as late in Spring as you can get and still no announcement. Think I'll wait to make a decision on a GS until we find out what's to come.

I realized that in the OP's first post, Michael Bayley's comment from his live chat gave people some expectation of an announcement 'late spring' for new suite amenities.....but he did not say 'late spring' of what particular year. Just an observation (LOL -- as well).

In light of that, if I wanted to book a suite, I would do it.

First time on RCCL coming up in August on Oasis. Was able to get one of the new aft GS, 11330, when they first appeared in early October. Have been in OS' on Princess and really liked the free laundry. Having not cruised RCCL yet, don't really know other Suite perk differences between the two lines. Gerry

Edited by buckeye rob

First time on RCCL coming up in August on Oasis. Was able to get one of the new aft GS, 11330, when they first appeared in early October. Have been in OS' on Princess and really liked the free laundry. Having not cruised RCCL yet, don't really know other Suite perk differences between the two lines. Gerry

Here is the link to the current "perks"

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk