Rescue of Cuban Refugees By The Serenade

Saw that the other thread on this had been closed.Here are some photos I took of the rescue, if anyone is interested.

P1000087_zpsbs2aqrhr.jpg

P1000092_zpsu3jujfwi.jpg

P1000090_zpskw20ilrn.jpg

P1000094_zpsmhdsrt7u.jpg

And for the record, I did not hear a single complaint about the rescue. The passengers I heard and talked to were happy that the rescue was done. Hats off to the crew of the Serenade :)

Edited by Raxter54

And for the record, I did not hear a single complaint about the rescue. The passengers I heard and talked to were happy that the rescue was done. Hats off to the crew of the Serenade :)

Why would anyone be unhappy about it? :confused:

Why would anyone be unhappy about it? :confused:

The originator of the first thread on the refugee rescue stated that he/she heard some passengers complaining and saying they should have just left them. I just wanted to state that I personally did not hear anyone complain.

Here is a link to the other thread about this that is now locked. It also looks to be a little edited too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2178615

The originator of the first thread on the refugee rescue stated that he/she heard some passengers complaining and saying they should have just left them. I just wanted to state that I personally did not hear anyone complain.

Gotcha. Thanks. I missed that thread.

I have 22 years in the USCG and I have lived and worked in Key West for the last 18 of those 22 years. Let me clear up a few things on how it really works and what the laws are.

First, it is 100% voluntary for those migrants to be rescued and to go aboard the cruise ship. This happens just about every day and it is about 50/50 with incidents wherein the migrants either refuse to be rescued or agree to embark the ship.

The USCG has full jurisdiction over this matter and it makes no difference whether or not the cruise ship is in U.S. waters. This is by Presidential Directive that dates back to 1992. The USCG is directed to interdict and handle alien migrants attempting to illegally migrate to the U.S. at sea. If a cruise ship rescues migrants at sea who are attempting to migrate to the U.S., the USCG most certainly does have full authority to board the ship and take those migrants into their custody. However, there are agreements in place with other nations as well. If it is most prudent for all involved parties that the ship transport the migrants to another country, such as Mexico, then usually that's what happens. Mexico doesn't have a dry foot policy, so it actually saves the U.S. taxpayer some money to let another nation handle the issue.

According to the current U.S./Cuba accords that date back to 1994, all Cuban migrants interdicted at sea are accepted back into Cuba, unless any of those migrants have previous status in the U.S. Upon repatriation, they are not tortured, imprisoned, or anything like that. There are third party humanitarians, usually Swiss or Dutch, that oversee the transaction. In fact, it's fairly common to see a repatriated migrant on another raft just a few days later.

Ref the bit about going to Mexico. That is also a common route. However, their final destination is not Mexico. Many migrants go that way because there is less patrol. They attempt to land in Mexico and migrate to the U.S. via land. Sometimes they even go East with a final destination of Mona Island near Puerto Rico, and somethimes they even go south to GC or JM. There are very elaborate networks in place to get them to their final destination of the U.S.

Sorry for rambling. I wish I would have seen that thread when it was still open.

Edited by Aquahound

I have 22 years in the USCG and I have lived and worked in Key West for the last 18 of those 22 years. Let me clear up a few things on how it really works and what the laws are.

First, it is 100% voluntary for those migrants to be rescued and to go aboard the cruise ship. This happens just about every day and it is about 50/50 with incidents wherein the migrants either refuse to be rescued or agree to embark the ship.

The USCG has full jurisdiction over this matter and it makes no difference whether or not the cruise ship is in U.S. waters. This is by Presidential Directive that dates back to 1992. The USCG is directed to interdict and handle alien migrants attempting to illegally migrate to the U.S. at sea. If a cruise ship rescues migrants at sea who are attempting to migrate to the U.S., the USCG most certainly does have full authority to board the ship and take those migrants into their custody. However, there are agreements in place with other nations as well. If it is most prudent for all involved parties that the ship transport the migrants to another country, such as Mexico, then usually that's what happens. Mexico doesn't have a dry foot policy, so it actually saves the U.S. taxpayer some money to let another nation handle the issue.

According to the current U.S./Cuba accords that date back to 1994, all Cuban migrants interdicted at sea are accepted back into Cuba, unless any of those migrants have previous status in the U.S. Upon repatriation, they are not tortured, imprisoned, or anything like that. There are third party humanitarians, usually Swiss or Dutch, that oversee the transaction. In fact, it's fairly common to see a repatriated migrant on another raft just a few days later.

Ref the bit about going to Mexico. That is also a common route. However, their final destination is not Mexico. Many migrants go that way because there is less patrol. They attempt to land in Mexico and migrate to the U.S. via land. Sometimes they even go East with a final destination of Mona Island near Puerto Rico, and somethimes they even go south to GC or JM. There are very elaborate networks in place to get them to their final destination of the U.S.

Sorry for rambling. I wish I would have seen that thread when it was still open.

Fascinating insight. Thank you for sharing your professional expertise on the subject.

Unfortunately the other thread turned into a political discussion with some folks. Some posters even displayed their lack of knowledge about the inability of most Cubans being allowed to leave their country and started to rant about how they should only enter the United State legally as their ancestors and acquaintances have done from other countries.

Great post, thx for the info as it answered many of our questions. I did hear a couple negative comments from fellow cruisers as I watched the rescue but overall the feedback was very positive from the others nearby. Raxter54, sorry we never saw you on the ship, Nachi was great wasn't it? :cool:

Edited by JTBCruiser

Aquahound - Appreciate your post about the legalities involved. I had a question about this. Since the Serenade is actually registered in Jamaica, didn't the Jamaican authorities have a say in what happened to these people?

Great post, thx for the info as it answered many of our questions. I did hear a couple negative comments from fellow cruisers as I watched the rescue but overall the feedback was very positive from the others nearby. Raxter54, sorry we never saw you on the ship, Nachi was great wasn't it? :cool:

I'm sorry we didn't get to meet. The morning of the meet&greet I was flat on my back waiting for the Bonine to take effect :mad: And DW and I enjoyed Nachi - I especially enjoyed the snorkeling :)

I made a post or two on the other thread, and Aqua can feel free to correct me anytime.

Looking at the photos, gives a totally different "picture" from what was described in the other thread. That is actually a fairly sea-going looking boat, rather than the "Styrofoam raft" mentioned over there. I have seen Cubans in packing crates paddling with a board in the Florida Straights. And they refused to be "rescued" by our ship. We remained on station until the cutter from Key West arrived. I find the entire Cuban refugee thing truly amazing, the lengths they will go to getting out.

Aquahound - Appreciate your post about the legalities involved. I had a question about this. Since the Serenade is actually registered in Jamaica, didn't the Jamaican authorities have a say in what happened to these people?

From what a poster on that thread, who was onboard, the Jamaican authorities refused to take the people when the ship called there before going to Mexico. If a ship brings an illegal into the US, and they are caught even with the ship docked, but the person is still onboard (more usual with stowaways than refugees), CBP will have the shipping company pay to send the person back to their country of origin.

The Serenade did indeed hold on to these 8 men until we disembarked in Cozumel, Mexico. The Officials in Mexico were waiting right outside the ship with 2 vehicles.

Nope, she's registered in Nassau, Bahamas

Good post. We rescued 13 refugees when on Celebrity Reflection in Nov. Unfortunately a fairly normal event.

This is the first thread I have read since the discussion of normalized relations between the US and Cuba began. I'll bet this is a topic in that discussion.

The Serenade did indeed hold on to these 8 men until we disembarked in Cozumel' date=' Mexico. The Officials in Mexico were waiting right outside the ship with 2 vehicles.[/quote']

Gotcha. When I first saw the pictures on this thread and without knowing the context, I automatically assumed it was in the FL Straits since that's where most interdictions/rescues occur. Down south is a totally different story and the U.S. would not have been involved with the matter unless all visited countries denied access.

I made a post or two on the other thread, and Aqua can feel free to correct me anytime.

Looking at the photos, gives a totally different "picture" from what was described in the other thread. That is actually a fairly sea-going looking boat, rather than the "Styrofoam raft" mentioned over there. I have seen Cubans in packing crates paddling with a board in the Florida Straights. And they refused to be "rescued" by our ship. We remained on station until the cutter from Key West arrived. I find the entire Cuban refugee thing truly amazing, the lengths they will go to getting out.

That is actually one of the most seaworthy rafts I've seen recently. I've seen everything from kickboards to cars and that one is pretty well built. They even have a mast, assumably for a sail.

I'm sorry we didn't get to meet. The morning of the meet&greet I was flat on my back waiting for the Bonine to take effect :mad: And DW and I enjoyed Nachi - I especially enjoyed the snorkeling :)

Please tell us how did you enjoy your first cruise? We are going again next March, Adventure of the Seas.

Nope, she's registered in Nassau, Bahamas

You are correct. I stand corrected (well, actually I'm sitting, but corrected none the same). So I guess my original question should be - do the Bahamian officials have any say on the disposition of the refugees?

Edited by Raxter54

@AquaHound:

We were 30 nautical miles from Cuba when the Serenade picked them up.

They had been "at sea" for 10 days at that point.

Not exactly sure how one statistic applies to the other. You don't really think they only covered 3 miles a day? Cuba is 780 miles long. I'm assuming that you picked them up off the southeast end of the island, since the ship tried to disembark them in Jamaica, but since they were trying for Mexico, it would have made more sense to start from the west end of the island. And if they started at the east end, they should have been prepared for at least 10-20 days at sea, since even at 10 miles per day, that's 8 days to clear Cuba. Regardless of where they started, without a basic knowledge of which way the winds blow and which way the currents flow, only leads to a doomed operation. That "boat", even without a sail, should have drifted at least 10-20 miles a day. Heck, even something with the windage of a coconut can drift 3 miles a day.