Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

We are on board Navigator this week. There's a sign as you walk in to the main dining room stating no shorts, tank tops or bare feet are allowed in the dining room. We figured that was directed at the spring break college kids but after dinner the first night our server told us that if my husband showed up in shorts again that he would be turned away. I'm glad they are enforcing the dress code but they really should tell people before they are already packed and on the ship. In 5 cruises out of Galveston, this is the first time they are enforcing it.

Here are a number of alternatives that comply with the posted "rules." I have a hence they would twist the knickers of several posters.

plusfours.jpg

mensp093.jpg

Mens_F_W2012_Givenchy.jpg

KTZAW12_4.jpg

It would be interesting to share a table with the top center guy :p

Pete, don't listen to these people. You can sit at our table. I don't wear shorts to the MDR either because that's in the contract. If you haven't read it then good luck. One of these days there may be a person in charge that doesn't see anything grey.

Can I sit at your table?

Wife wants to know for non-formal nights in MDR are Capri pants acceptable?

I want to know if for men in MDR is it acceptable to be without coat and/or tie on non-formal nights. We will be on Jewel, but is it different on different ships?

Wife wants to know for non-formal nights in MDR are Capri pants acceptable?

I want to know if for men in MDR is it acceptable to be without coat and/or tie on non-formal nights.

Yes and yes.

Capri pants aren't shorts...they go below the knee. They would look just fine, especially paired with nice sandals (not flip-flops!)

Men aren't expected to wear coats, ties or anything suit-related on non-formal nights.

Please post a link from RCCL that confirms shorts are acceptable for dinner.

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Laughing at the pictures of proposed alternate styles.

I'd probably talk to someone in a suit or tux. But no bow ties. I draw a line at bow ties.

Did you know that bow ties have made a come back? Seriously, it's true. And it's the young guys that are wearing them, especially young office types. I see them every where now. They are making bow ties cool and no longer "stuffy". :p

Ah, you need to check the price of Chops again. Some ships it's now $39 each. Sorry, off topic cut couldn't resist.

BTW, I "live" in shorts (cargo shorts). Have them on right now but unless the rules change will not wear them to the MDR except first night sometimes. Also, not yet mentioned here but sure to stir the flames, they are not welcome in the CL in the evenings. Now, would I wear them if the rules change? Probably. Not sure.

On our Vision cruise last month, shorts WERE allowed in the CL. There were several groups in shorts, one woman wore "Daisy Duke" style shorts.

My husband and I were highly entertained watching the faces and hearing comments of several couples when the families came in, obviously, they were shocked and horrified.:eek:

My wine still tasted the same, though.:D

Sherri:)

On our Vision cruise last month, shorts WERE allowed in the CL. There were several groups in shorts, one woman wore "Daisy Duke" style shorts.

My husband and I were highly entertained watching the faces and hearing comments of several couples when the families came in, obviously, they were shocked and horrified.:eek:

My wine still tasted the same, though.:D

I see Daisy Duke shorts on every cruise. And, for the most part, the people wearing them can at least pull it off, so no complaints here. Those shorts are half the length of my underwear. But for women they are allowed to break the dress code constantly without any problem whatsoever.

Lawyers talking about rules, responsibility, contracts??? Are we still talking about leisure vacations? Is Royal Caribbean employing us?

I am curious are you renting the cabin from Royal Caribbean or do you have a different contractual agreement?

I see Daisy Duke shorts on every cruise. And, for the most part, the people wearing them can at least pull it off, so no complaints here. Those shorts are half the length of my underwear. But for women they are allowed to break the dress code constantly without any problem whatsoever.
:D

My husband had no complaints, either!:D

Personally, we have seen women and men in shorts in the lounges, specialty restaurants, MDR, etc. On the same cruise last month, our tablemate wore shorts/t shirt every night except for formal, I think he wore khakis and a polo. He was super nice with a good sense of humor, and we enjoyed our dinners with him.

I think if Royal wants to keep their "no shorts" policy, they need to strictly enforce it on all the ships, and since I just don't see them doing that, why not change the policy?

I saw that comment and knew right off that shorts are alive and well in the CL :) Actually, on my Jewel cruise-I was an offender once or twice.:o Not daisy dukes though!! Although so were others too. I felt-half the time, there was no room in the lounge and we were sitting outside in the hallway/Yacht club and figured there was no dress code out there!!! :D

Did you know that bow ties have made a come back? Seriously, it's true. And it's the young guys that are wearing them, especially young office types. I see them every where now. They are making bow ties cool and no longer "stuffy". :p

D**n kids. Better not sit at MY table! I won't talk to them. So there.

;)

I think if Royal wants to keep their "no shorts" policy, they need to strictly enforce it on all the ships, and since I just don't see them doing that, why not change the policy?

Exactly

Nothing wrong with shorts at dinner. Every cruise I see lots of women in shorts, and some even in very short shorts (not complaining). This isn't Cunard. RCI uses a selective double standard that is quite sexist and getting pretty old.
That would be your opinion.....:rolleyes:

I have been trying my best to wear shorts to dinner on Royal cruises. First, I went online to a phony accreditation site and had my shorts certified as "Emotional Support" shorts. It worked for a while, but I was eventually told that "Support" shorts really did not qualify and meet the standards. I am now in the process of finding a doctor that will certify them as "Service" shorts.

Just doing my best to keep this beaten horse thread going!

Edited by natty bumppo