what's happened to Princess?

GrannyChris

"The problem is that we, like many of you, are long time cruisers and have a lot to compare current cruises to."-- CABER

Last year at this time we had been traveling RCL for a spell; got on the Royal and loved it. Then last May RCL had the original BOHO sale and I booked 5 cruised over one weekend. We have been on 2 RCL cruises since then and I have cancelled all of the RCL cruise (and they were priced so well!) but one in April of 2016.

My point is with our 45+ cruises under our belt we don't cruise for the same reasons as the new cruisers. It's not that certain things are not important but we use cruising as a getaway from stresses. So if things are not as they once were; they are still really, really better than the paperwork we have to do in my Chiropractic office. So we don't notice , for more than 2 seconds, that the carpet is worn or the servers in the MDR are slower. We are on a cruise ship being served, not serving others; getting the variety of food we don't care to pay for on land. And we have no agenda or timetable. In the Caribbean at least we have been to almost every port several times. We scour the excursions before we cruise and don't find anything we have an interest in doing or that we haven't done before. So we just chill.

So, if you are picky at home, you are probably going to be picky on a cruise. And that's OK. If you haven't seen all that you want to in port, prepare and go with the experience. If you like us and are escaping, enjoy and see you next time.

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

I actually like the CB. I gotta say, my first impression of Princess was on Ruby and it wasn't the greatest. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't impressive. I then went on CB and I liked it much better. The only thing I liked better about Ruby was the location of Crooners and how the bar was out of the walkway. One thing about both ships though...they felt like the most crowded ships I've ever experienced.

The addition of the Riviera deck with its additional passengers (starting with the CB) definitely, at least for me, made the Crown class ships seem more crowded than the Grand class ships.....

Bob

We spend months and months planning and waiting to cruise, then we go and the first thing some of us do is complain and pick apart the cruise……then we go and book another cruise and the cycle continues.

I remember back to our first cruise in 2001 on the Rhapsody of the Seas. We had the time of our lives. We saw an older couple complain, complain, complain about everything. At the Purser's Desk, in the MDR,

in the hallway, there they were, complaining. I can still picture them. I remember saying to my wife that I hope that we never get that jaded about cruising. Thank goodness I don't think we have.

Over the years is the service worse across the board? Yes. Are we being nickeled and dimed to death? Yes. Is the food sometimes not up to par? Yes. Unless you are super rich, which we aren't, these issues are not limited to cruise ships.

They happen at resorts, at local restaurants and in all walks of life.

Edited by houstoncruisers2001

I have been on 9 Princess cruises and not one was bad in any way. Other than seeing a change in the food offerings we always have a great time, staff was attentive, etc.

I believe people go on cruises with certain expectations and if they are not met they start complaining.

Edited by cruisequeen007

We were on the same cruise. We were aware it was two cruises combined because of the return to Florida in between. We found the food great and the service was wonderful with the exception of trying to get a drink in some of the lounges. I think some of the wait-staff was new. They would only serve one table at a time so we went to the bar and got our own.

We don't cruise because of the food at all. I enjoyed it very much however! We cruise to spend time together, get out of our harsh weather and to explore the world. We did do the movies under the stars but we never do the shows as it just isn't our thing to fight for a spot at them lol.

For us, it was a wonderful, fun, relaxing vacation. We met a lot of very nice folks as well. Just another point of view!

We were on the Royal Princess 3/9 thru 3/19. Have taken 3 previous Princess cruises, and found that IMHO this cruise ranked excellent in most all categories. Food offerings were superbly prepared and presented, staff was outstanding, and this ship was like new. I would certainly return to Princess.

They happen at resorts, at local restaurants and in all walks of life.

This is so true. I just received a box of Girl Scout Cookies that I purchased from the daughter of a co-work. They had no flavor and the box was half the size as last year. They were so bland that I was glad they shrunk the package. It's a shame because I looked forward to them once a year.

Now see...I like the new menu, but then again we're not meat and potatoes people.

Princess is a perfect mass market cruiseline for us. We immerse ourselves in meeting new people which allows us not to sweat the small stuff. Maybe the coffee wasn't great or the comedian not hysterically funny, but by the time I disembark I already forgot about those things.

Looking forward to Princess cruise #24 this weekend on the Royal!

Happy sails to you! But I am not meat and potatoes. I am fruit. Green Salads. I am --- I have lost 60 pounds since the last cruise I took on Princess, and starchy, heavy foods put it back on quickly. I carefully looked over the old menu and I had choices every night. If I had known the new menu was to go be on Regal, I would have cancelled the cruise. Totally. If it was published that it would be done...........I missed it. And I am sure it was published and I did miss it. No regrets. Had a good time. Not sailing Princess in August. Sailing another line under the Carnival logo. Money goes into the same pot at the end.

And when I got home..next morning..hit the scales...LOST TWO POUNDS on a cruise.

Something good comes out of all bad.

And in other venues.....there was plenty of good , healthful good. Tasty too. This was the first time my family was with us on Princess, and dinner in the MDR was where we met up to talk and exchange news of the day. That the food was uneatable to me, sort of made that not as nice as it could have been.

And my daughter..just back from Columbia in your native NYC from a math seminar at Columbia. My father traveled a lot in his job, and took us with him. So we have traveled a lot, too. Plus family in the West...in California....in the Caribbean..... We have lived in Quinn, South Dakota. We have lived in Tampa. and on and on......So we are not county bumpkins come to town.

And I love county bumpkins. The kindest, nicest people in the world. And good cooks. At least in the South.

All is well. I hope you have the best cruise ever. And I hope your lovely city finally has SPRING. I have felt so badly for all you this long, cold winter. Ditto for Boston residents. I am just amazed at their fortitude in surviving all of that snow. May you have the warmest spring and summer in history. Warm. Not hot..hot.

Edited by AmberTeka

This is so true. I just received a box of Girl Scout Cookies that I purchased from the daughter of a co-work. They had no flavor and the box was half the size as last year. They were so bland that I was glad they shrunk the package. It's a shame because I looked forward to them once a year.

I noticed this also. I'm guessing they are making them "healthier" :rolleyes:.

If I had known the new menu was to go be on Regal, I would have cancelled the cruise. Totally. If it was published that it would be done...........I missed it. And I am sure it was published and I did miss it.

Even staff in the dining room on the ship may not know what the menu will be the next week.

When we did the UST on the Royal in January, the print shop told us that they were busy printing the new menus for the following cruise.

I asked our Headwaiter that evening what would be different on the new menus the following week. His response: "What new menus. We are not changing anything."

Amber Teka

"I have lost 60 pounds since the last cruise I took on Princess, and starchy, heavy foods put

it back on quickly. I carefully looked over the old menu and I had choices every night."

Good for you ! Weight control is not easy especially when cruising . DW , a long time Weight Watcher

uses all her best strategies when we cruise . This always includes good (least bad) choices and walking.

She enjoyed the fish options on the Regal, a couple of which were supposed to be new options.

FWIW, I always have a tough time on comparing fares for a cruise. The reason for me anyway, is that every one of our Princess cruises had very significant reductions from when we booked them. Not so much on the other lines... though I only have Disney and RCI history. I'm thinking the other lines do reduce fairs, but much closer to departure dates.

Cutbacks are a topic on every board. However, some lines balance cutbacks with other additions. RCI, for example, has suffered the same cutbacks, but they've bettered their entertainment by adding more full-run Broadway shows to their newer ships.

I've only sailed Princess twice...my third being in a couple weeks. My question for Princess regulars is...despite the cutbacks we all complain about, in what way has Princess improved?

Paul - You ask an excellent question and my approach to cruising these days centers on the main point of your post, "Despite the cutbacks...what way has Princess improved?"

I was about ready to give up on Princess (having sailed on 7 prior to my recent experience) before trying their latest ship class (Royal and Regal). Nothing is perfect and there is much to complain IMHO about the Royal Class ships but the improvements Princess has made on the 2 newest ships compared to the older ships:

(1) An improvement on the "overall" quality / variety of the food as evidenced in the Horizon Buffet / Horizon Court. IMHO, the variety and quality surpasses the buffets of both older Princess ships and other mainstream cruise lines (my experiences include X's Solistice class, RCL's Oasis class, and NCL's Breakaway class).

(2) Princess have improved the selection of food in the Alfredo dining room which you should try when you go on Regal compared to the older ships.

(3) Princess has improved on the ability of passengers to watch / catch up on activities they might have missed due to scheduling conflicts. The TV programming in your cabin allows you to watch cooking demos and other activities the next day since most activities are recorded.

(4) The cabin staterooms allow you to watch many more movies than any other mainstream cruise lines. Heck, you can spend almost a whole week watching movies and TV programs if you wanted to (not recommended of course). The TV in the cabins allow you to follow the ship activities much better than in the past.

(5) The food selection has been expanded in the International cafe and I think is better than the older ships.

(6) Princess shows have actually improved over their previous offerings ; however, I have to warn you IMHO Princess shows are still among the WORST in the mainstream cruiseline (only behind X if you were to ask me). Improvement yes but still not up to snuff compared to RCL and NCL (cannot comment on CCL since it's been over 7 years since I have on their ships).

(7) There does seem to be more activities going on during both the day and nigh shifts compared to the older ships. Whether you enjoy them or not depends on your tastes but an improvement in variety.

I have plenty to complain about Princess and their cutbacks but like your premise - it's all about what cruiselines offer AFTER the cutbacks. IMHO, the mainstream cruiselines are becoming more similar than different given the quirks of each company. Obviously, the Oasis class ships will have stuff that is unique compared to PCL's Royal class ships vs X's Solistice class vs NCL's Breakaway class but I am sure you already know that.

Hope you enjoy your cruise with Princess!!

...improvements Princess has made on the 2 newest ships compared to the older ships...An improvement on the "overall" quality / variety of the food as evidenced in the Horizon Buffet / Horizon Court. IMHO, the variety and quality surpasses the buffets of both older Princess ships and other mainstream cruise lines...

I hope this change lasts. I have noticed that cruiselines as well as land-based resorts tend to put their "best foot forward" when rolling out a new ship or property to create buzz, but let things slide later on.

Princess and the other cruise lines are allowing the savings in fuel costs to go to the bottom line. Carnival Corp will release earnings soon. Watch how much of there earnings comes from lower fuel expenses.

The answer is that the last quarter saw lower fuel costs (after allowing for the costs of hedging) added 17 cents/share to the bottom line. Total earnings per share was 20 cents.

Cutbacks are a topic on every board . . .

I've only sailed Princess twice...my third being in a couple weeks. My question for Princess regulars is...despite the cutbacks we all complain about, in what way has Princess improved?

I'm a Princess "regular", & have seen lots of cutbacks over the years. But this got me thinking - what's better now? Hmmm, International Cafe and Alfredo's come to mind. And I actually think the shows are better now than 10 years ago, but that is subjective. The new ship intranet being rolled out is great, seeing the Patter and your folio on your smartphone or tablet. But, I'm struggling to find anything else that's "better" than 10-15 years ago. Just my opinion of course.

Berni

I'm a Princess "regular", & have seen lots of cutbacks over the years. But this got me thinking - what's better now? Hmmm, International Cafe and Alfredo's come to mind. And I actually think the shows are better now than 10 years ago, but that is subjective. The new ship intranet being rolled out is great, seeing the Patter and your folio on your smartphone or tablet. But, I'm struggling to find anything else that's "better" than 10-15 years ago. Just my opinion of course.

Berni

Many long time cruisers (we've only been cruising for 8 years so I don't include myself in that category) say the price has decreased. I would say that was better :D.

Edited by capriccio

Berni

The TVs are better (Tube to flat screen). A lot of people like MUTS. The Sanctuary sells out quick. More Fitness classes (TRX, Boot Camp, Zumba). Ships still sail full. My Shareholder stock hit a new high last Friday. Another thing for me that's better than ten years ago is I get a lot more perks and OBCs. Edited by billco

We've just returned from an extremely disappointing '14 day caribbean adventurer' on the Caribbean Princess, which turned out to be 2 seven day cruises. Poor entertainment, boring food, indifferent crew (everything almost identical both weeks). Others commented to us about the same decline in service, standards, cleanliness, etc. Was it just this ship, or has the company changed? Based on our previous cruises, we were great advocates for cruising with Princess. We'll not likely sail again...

We were on the same cruise plus 5 more days. We had a wonderful itme. In Anytine Dining, we ate with many past Princess passengers who said the food was better than ever. We found the crew interaction to be great. And we did 2 nights in the Crown Grill, and they were superb.

As for the repeats... did you eat everything on the menu? There are many items on the menu; I don't see how a repeating menu would be a problem. Try somethig new.. they'll take care of it if you don't like it.

We don't like the combined cruises either, but you knew that when you booked it. You would have really hated it had you been on the next 5 day cruise. They repeated it all and compressed it into 5 days.

WE got good value for our money. Not everything was perfect, but then maybe our expectations are more in line with the product. Too bad you couldn't have hung out with us.

we have enjoyed every cruise we have ever taken. many lines we have sailed on no longer exist. may ships no longer exist. it is an attitude - every ship, every cruise is great in so many ways. so much fun on the ship. amazing ports all over the world. wow. of course, there are often problems. but, that's life.:)

we have enjoyed every cruise we have ever taken. many lines we have sailed on no longer exist. may ships no longer exist. it is an attitude - every ship, every cruise is great in so many ways. so much fun on the ship. amazing ports all over the world. wow. of course, there are often problems. but, that's life.:)

Same here. I miss much of what has fallen by the wayside over the years with cruising, but I realize it is better to enjoy what is rather than lament what was :).

Having cruised on most of the Princess ships from the small Ocean and Pacific to the large Royal, I find the smaller ships more my style. They seem to have better service with a friendlier crew.

I would prefer a longer cruise with varied itineraries to the B2Bs in the Caribbean.