Beware inaccurate Britannia deck plans - we lost our dream cabin 3 days before cruise

Jo and Rob

We booked a cabin at the back of the ship on Britannia over a year ago. We were really looking forward to admiring the wake of the ship from our balcony. Yesterday P&O left a message on our answer phone to say that our 4 berth cabin was not actually a 4 berth cabin and we would have to move to a different location. :eek:

We are so disappointed. We were so excited about our first aft cabin, now we have one round the corner which doesn't isn't the same. Apparently there are several cabins which are not labelled correctly. How on earth do they manage to leave it this late before checking whether the cabins are actually accurate??

We booked a cabin at the back of the ship on Britannia over a year ago. We were really looking forward to admiring the wake of the ship from our balcony. Yesterday P&O left a message on our answer phone to say that our 4 berth cabin was not actually a 4 berth cabin and we would have to move to a different location. :eek:

We are so disappointed. We were so excited about our first aft cabin, now we have one round the corner which doesn't isn't the same. Apparently there are several cabins which are not labelled correctly. How on earth do they manage to leave it this late before checking whether the cabins are actually accurate??

Because, like many organisations their HQ checking procedures are at best sloppy. Obviously nobody checked the deck plans against the reality onboard the ship. I would think nobody even thought about it. Too busy thinking up wizz schemes to save money.

IMO they should pay you compensation as you are not getting what you thought you were buying and it is THEIR FAULT.

Couldn't P&O let 2 of you keep the aft balcony and find another balcony for the other 2?

After all it's their mistake, I'd get my travel agent negotiating.

Almost unbelievable, they surely owe you a decent compromise.

Couldn't P&O let 2 of you keep the aft balcony and find another balcony for the other 2?

After all it's their mistake, I'd get my travel agent negotiating.

Almost unbelievable, they surely owe you a decent compromise.

Like you we booked over a year ago for our aft cabin. Would be gutted if they left a message saying we had to have another one. As others have said they must have to give you compensation for this and surely they can try and sort it out so that you can keep the cabin ???? At least the 4 of you could enjoy that view on occasions???

We have an aft cabin booked on Britannia in May. Our TA told us the sofa was a sofa bed and could be used as a third person cabin.

I would be having some very stern words with who ever you booked with and / or P&O. At this late date some form of recompense should be made especially booking and choosing your cabin for four so long ago.

I'm looking forward to you holiday video and cabin guide. Enjoy the cruise.

We have an aft cabin booked on Britannia in May. Our TA told us the sofa was a sofa bed and could be used as a third person cabin..

having read reports on CC, are you sure that this is a good option ?

I personally have not tried this, but some posters on here gave an impression that this " sofa bed" thingy is not suitable at all.

Gives a very cramped cabin, with the associated air purification issues, and toilet routines.

Some people are OK with this I guess.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is feeling great !! Go lynn

I personally have not tried this, but some posters on here gave an impression that this " sofa bed" thingy is not suitable at all.

Gives a very cramped cabin, with the associated air purification issues, and toilet routines.

I'm sure it's very kind of you to offer advice, though as you haven't experienced sofa beds and the OP has been on at least 15 prior cruises and (presumably) has, it's probably not necessary. Speaking as someone who has experienced four in a cabin, and an inside cabin at that, I promise you it's perfectly possible.

I don't think there's any chance of the OP getting two cabins. They will have been moved into a proper cabin for 4, and the (presumably) two people who booked that cabin will be moved into the aft balcony that the OP had booked.

You should get on board credit as compensation, if P&O has any PR sense. If there's any brochure price difference between the two, that's obviously the bare minimum starting point; but I'd have thought a free excursion or some such should be doable.

I'm sure it's very kind of you to offer advice, though as you haven't experienced sofa beds and the OP has been on at least 15 prior cruises and (presumably) has, it's probably not necessary. Speaking as someone who has experienced four in a cabin, and an inside cabin at that, I promise you it's perfectly possible.I.

I never mind giving advice,in fact people here ask me for it all the time.

Its a part of my nature, and it was gratifying that you mentioned that I was "Kind to offer advice...."" .

I am here to help others and dont mind helping out.

Again many thanks for noticing this.

However, in this instance, I was repeating the disappointment expressed by others who have cruised in the cramped and unsanitary conditions .

The opinion was expressed about the cramped conditions in the cabin, with the associated air purification issues, toilet routines and privacy.

As mentioned, in my earlier post, Some people are OK with this I guess.

Lynn is great

I am so sorry for you! My nasty suspicious mind wonders if P&O actually DID know about this issue and that is why they are refusing to allocate cabins to pax who have booked Select, as in our case, until they see how the actual passengers numbers for a cruise shake down.

I'm guessing they only found this out on this current cruise. So sorry for you and your family.

I would definitely be pursuing compensation initially via way of Onboard Credit. You booked a select fare which includes a choice of cabin and specifically wanted your first AFT cabin. They have removed your choice and therefore you've lost a big benefit of paying the select fare.

If you get no joy with the first level of customer service ask for it to be escalated. Best of luck and hope to see you onboard.

having read reports on CC, are you sure that this is a good option ?

Thank you for the advice. There is only two of us so it doesn't apply.

The reason the TA mentioned it as the cabin with the sofa is more expensive than the ones with just the tub chair.

PS I agree with kevinyork, I would be taking this further.

Edited by Scorpio41
spelling

Please, Jo and Rob (OPs) please get back to us.

Whch cabin did you book, and which cabin were you given?

Have you managed to obtain a satisfactory solution to this really unbelieveable issue so late in the day.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you have had a satisfatory outcome

Regards

Thank you for the advice. There is only two of us so it doesn't apply.

No problem Scorpio41.

I enjoy helping others, and receive questions all the time.

It is a pleasure helping you, and hopefully my answer will provide others with inspiration.

I hope you have a great cruise, and enjoy the sofa bed or tub chair :D

Lynn does not mind helping others

Please, Jo and Rob (OPs) please get back to us.

Whch cabin did you book, and which cabin were you given?

Have you managed to obtain a satisfactory solution to this really unbelieveable issue so late in the day.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you have had a satisfatory outcome

Regards

I would like to know the outcome too especially when posters have been giving advice. It would be good manners to let everyone know.:(

I never mind giving advice,in fact people here ask me for it all the time.

Its a part of my nature, and it was gratifying that you mentioned that I was "Kind to offer advice...."" .

I am here to help others and dont mind helping out.

Again many thanks for noticing this.

However, in this instance, I was repeating the disappointment expressed by others who have cruised in the cramped and unsanitary conditions .

The opinion was expressed about the cramped conditions in the cabin, with the associated air purification issues, toilet routines and privacy.

As mentioned, in my earlier post, Some people are OK with this I guess.

Unsanitary??? I have shared a sofa bed cabin with two friends and it was absolutely fine. How can it be unsanitary??

We have just returned from Britannia maiden and stateroom C732 was definitely a 4 berth cabin with a balcony. But just like you we booked cabin with the thoughts of admiring the wake but just to make you feel better they have not sorted out the soot problem encountered on Royal/Regal as our balcony had it everyday and if you are not early risers the vibration at the rear when the ship docks, I assume from the bow thrusters, is horrendous.

Not all the cabins on the stern are four berth. On C deck two are four berth (C732 & C733) the other two are three berth (C734 & C735) with a sofa bed.

You will always get a small amount of soot on the ships balconies on the stern, on the Aurora and Oriana the soot is on the tiered decks at the stern.

The thruster noise and vibration can be felt and heard in all stern and aft cabins. You just get used to it.

I wouldn't let it spoil my holiday and if I was bothered I wouldn't book a cabin on the stern. The TA says they are like Marmite you either love them or hate them.

Just been checking Britannia deck plans for types of 4 berths and noticed a whole slew of basic, no sofa, balcony cabins which state they have extra beds configured with 1 sofa bed and one pullman bunk, quite a lot on G deck.

Clearly the current issue deck plans are not to be trusted.