Riviera Trans-Atlantic April 2015

Hambagahle

The real surprise for me was the appearance, however brief, by Leslie and Damien (as well as some other staff) as this usually does not happen. The area in Horizons was well marked and cordoned off for us. There were too many people to meet everyone but I will try to meet more CC members during the cruise as we have some other activities scheduled together (luncheon, frequent flyer miles discussions, iPad lessons, etc)

There were 18 trivia teams of 8 people each this afternoon but only 3 at night.

Paul - wish I could be at the frequent flyer miles discussion and maybe the etc. :) Wishing you and Marsha a continued good voyage. How were the tapas?

There are definitely reasons why some butlers prefer Oceania to Regent but I can't imagine why Capt. McNeil would change. IMO, had he stayed with Regent, he would have been the first Captain on the Explorer. I do know that some of the Oceania G.M.'s that end of on Regent don't necessarily ask to be there (at least one wasn't happy about it). Guess I should be happy that the senior G.M.'s on Regent don't end up on Oceania.

Travelcat..when I was on with the Captain in December he told me he was retiring..

Jancruz1

I remember executive concierge Javier from Spain. He was wonderful in arranging some things for us...and very easy to look at too! Wonder if he is still with Oceania?

I am in contact with Javier and he is still with O..usually on Marina or Riviera..

Jancruz1

A warm welcome to all those boarding today.

We are on a B2B and decided to spend the day off the ship with a HOHO bus tour.

Also had lunch in town - stone crabs (YUM!!!!)

Jacques tonight.

Looking forward to meeting some old as well as some new friends.

Paul..I love Miami and my most favorite thing there is Stone Crabs..I have had them for lunch and dinner everytime I am there!!

Have a fabulous trip..Hi to all,

Jancruz1

The real surprise for me was the appearance, however brief, by Leslie and Damien (as well as some other staff) as this usually does not happen. The area in Horizons was well marked and cordoned off for us. There were too many people to meet everyone but I will try to meet more CC members during the cruise as we have some other activities scheduled together (luncheon, frequent flyer miles discussions, iPad lessons, etc)

There were 18 trivia teams of 8 people each this afternoon but only 3 at night.

Paul..can you tell Leslie when you see him..I love him but disappointed we missed each other in LA..

Thanks,

Jan

Jan & Joanna - thank you for your good wishes.

Jan - the stone crabs were very good :D

Joanna - we have not yet had tapas but definitely will have them once in Barcelona.

In addition, we plan to explore something new - a combination of tapas, sushi and dim sum @ Los Palillos (chop sticks?)

Her is their menu:

http://www.dospalillos.com/home.php?rest=1&lang=en#

I think we'll try the a la carte choices as the tasting menu has some items I may not enjoy but with a la carte we can choose only what we want.

Maybe you want to try them next time you are in Barcelona?

Edited by Paulchili

M&G.....The CD, GM, etc showed up because my dear DH suggested to a staff member up in Horizons that she might want to call Leslie to see if he wanted to come and say something to the group..he arrived and asked my DH "What should I say?"....so DH told gave him suggestions and he followed them...to the letter! He had no intention of coming until he received the phone call! O did have the area roped off and a sign. It was a great turn out and we have well over 75 signed up for the luncheon! LuAnn

I am in contact with Javier and he is still with O..usually on Marina or Riviera..

Jancruz1

We are on Marina in May from Montreal to Southampton, but he's not listed. Perhaps he's on vacation. I was hoping to see him again. Thanks for the update.

We just returned from a wonderful Riviera cruise to the caribbean. I had my favorite entree at Red Ginger, Lobster Pad Thai, yum!!

I am very interested in the entertainment you will have. We saw the very last production shows with the singer and dancers. We have another Riviera cruise in 2016. Please give details on the singers & dancers and the production shows.

Thanks.

Dee Dee

We are on Marina in May from Montreal to Southampton, but he's not listed. Perhaps he's on vacation. I was hoping to see him again. Thanks for the update.

I just emailed him to see where he is..

Jancruz1

TC, Miami steamy, not at all. Maybe you should come and spend some time here this time of the year, before commenting on the weather.

Right now it's 69 and no rain in the forecast for the week.

You have made it quite clear in another post that you are not a fan of Miami, but there are many people on these boards that live in the Miami area and love where they live!

Sorry - misread Gerry's post - thought she said that it was steamy. In terms of Miami, it is simply too warm for us most of the time. I grew up in Southern California which is also too warm. Miami is lovely -- it is just the heat (and they have some amazing food there - especially the Cuban food - yum!) We are very happy living in a cooler climate. I do find it interesting that people that grew up in cooler climates seem to love the warm weather. In Washington, when the weather hits 60 degrees, people are wearing shorts:-) Where we currently are (on Regent's Mariner in Brazil) it is really steamy so we are staying on board.

Gerry, your first day on board sounds great. Looking forward to more reports.

We have been in Bermuda for two days. Yesterday was a lovely day - around 20°C and sunny. We went into Hamilton on the ferry (with LouAnn and Kenneth) and then strolled around the town, visiting shops we know well from all the summers we spent here when we were working in NY. Had Fish chowder and a Dark and Stormy in a pub and then took the bus back to the Dockyard so we could see the South Shore Beaches and The Reefs, the hotel where we always stayed. We didn't go to the Dockyard shops because we knew that today would be "dark and stormy" - which it is (and we have cancelled our golf) - so we will be doing that today. Better than running around the island in the rain!

Last night we had dinner at la Réserve which was a first for us. Normally neither of us like "wine pairings" though we do like a menu dégustation. (tasteings). The meal - Odyssey Menu - was quite simply superb. I have never eaten a meal like that on a ship before. The cuisine was what we call in French "raffinée" - every taste was just perfectly balanced with the other tastes on the plate. The format worked well too - on arrival we were seated with a group of people and offered a Kir Royale. We then, of course, got to chatting and when dinner was announced we were all seated at the same table. 24 people took part and there were 3 tables of 8. Conversation flowed. Excellent wines were poured. And we had seven courses. I won't go into them all and anyway you can see the menu on the website but for me the highlight was a Maine Lobster Cassoulette with tarragon and Sea Urchin bisque. It was divine! The cheese course was very inventive - a mille feuille (Napoléon in American) of pears and Brie de Meaux, melting and warm.

I cannot start to compare this dinner to anything at Signatures because there is no comparison between a normal menu and a menu dégustation. Just is not possible. But the standard of cooking last night would have stood up very well against a 1 star and possibly even a 2 star Michelin restaurant.

The other evening we ate at Red Ginger - this was always my favourite restaurant on the ship and remains so for its creativity. And we pushed that to the limit on Friday! Instead of ordering a meal per se we ordered a number of starters. Hot and cold. And then more... So we effectively created an Asian "tapas" menu. It was outstanding. Our waitress got into the spirit of it and make excellent suggestions. The result was that we left the restaurant having tried a lot of things yet not feeling we had over-eaten. How perfect is that?

Tonight we sail for Madeira. With the storm that is now here I expect to be tossed about a bit for a day or so. Even moored right now I can see whitecaps on the Great Sound - and we are inside the reef of course. Hopefully it won't last for the entire 5 days "on the high seas".

One more thing - yesterday our Trivia Team was much diminished. From 8 we dropped to 3 because the others were on land sightseeing. Yet we scored a respectable 15. Did not win of course, but nonetheless kept our end up!

Hi Jerry, Thank you for the information on Noëlle, when you see her tomorrow could you ask her if she will be on for the May 11th sailing? She is fun, we really enjoyed her on our last cruise. Is Leslie Jon your cruise director? I'll be curious which TA your prefer, Regent or Oceania. Glad to hear your dinner in Polo was was the best. Sandeep sounds great. Have a wonderful cruise! Sue

I asked Noëlle if she would be on board - she won't. She goes on holiday when the Riviera goes into drydock on 15th April and will be at her home in Italy in May...

Leslie is our Cruise Director and seems very good at his job. So far I have no doubt that Oceania (or at least the Riviera) is my favourite way to cross the Atlantic. It is extremely luxurious (OK we have the Owners Suite which helps! but then we have had "higher end" suites on Regent too). The food is sensational and the feeling of "family" which the crew have results in superb service to the guests on board. It is a very warm, friendly environment. The passengers also seem a lot more relaxed and friendly than many on Regent which is a generalisation I know but that is the impression I get. result of that is that I am more relaxed myself!!:)

Gerry,

I have really enjoyed following your posts over the past few years and thanks for sharing your travels.

I will be on the crystal Serenity (my line on choice) next month on the Miami to Lisbon crossing and will also have two days in Bermuda. I love Bermuda and my husband and I have also stayed at the Reefs although our last visit was in 1994!!! I plan on having lunch at the reefs and seeing the property again. The reefs is the next best thing to cruising in my opinion...superb property!!! Can you tell me the name of the pub you had lunch at in Hamilton? Bermuda fish chowder and a dark and stormy are the best!!!

I hope you have smooth seas enroute to Madeira!!!

Keep on having a great time.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Gerry,

Thanks for your very informative review which I look forward to reading daily.

I hope you do not hit the kind of storm we had last spring coming out of Bermuda. We were in an OS the back of Regatta and it was the worst night of crushing we had ever experienced. Hopefully the balance of your crossing will be silky smooth.

I asked Noëlle if she would be on board - she won't. She goes on holiday when the Riviera goes into drydock on 15th April and will be at her home in Italy in May...

Leslie is our Cruise Director and seems very good at his job. So far I have no doubt that Oceania (or at least the Riviera) is my favourite way to cross the Atlantic. It is extremely luxurious (OK we have the Owners Suite which helps! but then we have had "higher end" suites on Regent too). The food is sensational and the feeling of "family" which the crew have results in superb service to the guests on board. It is a very warm, friendly environment. The passengers also seem a lot more relaxed and friendly than many on Regent which is a generalisation I know but that is the impression I get. result of that is that I am more relaxed myself!!:)

Gerry, Thank you for the update on Noëlle, she will be missed. I signed up for several culinary discovery excursions that the chef heads up and in the past, she was great. How was your cooking class? Are you signed up for any more?

Interesting that you mentioned the ship going into dry dock. Their was a thread questioning if that time period was a private charter.

I am in complete agreement of your assessment of Oceania vs Regent. We have had the Master suite, Seven Seas, Penthouse and regular cabin on Regent and the Penthouse and Oceania Suite on the O ship, we did not find Regent nearly as nice. Plus we love the food and variety of restaurants on O. I am enjoying your post and learned that their are several others that will be on the May 11th cruise.

Really enjoying your live review. Are Ryan or Baptist still bartenders on Riviera? We really enjoyed them in Martinis or the Pool bar when on the Riviera this past summer.

I have so enjoyed reading this thread and just wanted to say thank you! We will be boarding her in less than a month, and since this is our first time on O, it's much fun to hear of life on the beautiful Riviera as you cross the ocean....

Wishing you fair winds and a following sea :)

Hi Gerry, sorry you missed (our!) golf but glad to hear you enjoyed la Reserve - we haven't tried the Odyssey menu yet, but are looking forward to it in May. Like others, hope the crossing is smooth and that you continue to enjoy....:)

Nancy - it was the Hogpenny Bar on Burnaby Street which runs from Front Street uphill towards the bus station. Bar is right off Front Street.

Elsie - you are going to love Oceania. Food, service, appearance of ship etc absolutely tip top (and IMO streets ahead of Regent). Only thing I think Regent does better than Oceania are the lectures. We are on a crossing and on Regent we would have 3 or 4 lectures to choose from each day. We have one, sometimes two, here.

Jill - Odyssey menu is amazing so go hungry!

Yesterday in BDA it was windy cold and wet. Very wet at times. We went to the Museum at the Dockyard which is interesting and then saw the dolphins. There was a mother with her baby (5 days old) and it was lovely to see them swimming around together, baby never leaving her side. When we left the reef in Bermuda we started to rock and we had quite a rocky night - not bad though, just lots of movement. Since we are in the stern we also had a fair bit of vibration which is normal in somewhat rough seas.

Dinner last night was at Toscana. We "scaled down" the portions with the kind help of our waiter and Bruno the Maître d'Hôtel. We also did not eat a main dish. We had a carpaccio of octopus, then a half portion of calamari fritti and a small salad as starters. Then for the main dish we had a half portion each of lobster risotto. The risotto was perfectly cooked - not over cooked at all. Delicious in fact. And that was it. we liked Toscana better this time than on our last cruise but still it is our least favourite of the speciality restaurants probably because we eat a lot of Italian food at home - we are an hour from Italy in Martigny!

Tonight we are back at Polo. Ken wants more of the roast beef and I think I shall have a lobster.

We are chundling along at some speed right now. Captain must feel the call of Chiavari (where he is from) and wants to get home!!