unhappy on the adventure

Forgive me for just asking- but I'm trying to see what people expected Royal to do. If you think Royal didn't go the extra mile, then you have some kind of idea what they should have done.

What should have they done?

Lots of condemning what was done, and some wishing there was compensation- which is expected. But nobody has suggested what they should have done.

that's all I'm asking.

I can tell you what WAS done for us. Several years ago, with flight delay problem, we arrived on the ship (in Southampton) with no time to spare. We had 3 of our 4 bags - one of DH's was missing. Besides RCI making phone calls to airline, etc., they gave my husband a voucher for up to $300 to spend in ship's stores. We eventually got the bag, but don't remember which port or after we got back home. Didn't even spend all of the $300, but certainly appreciated what RCI did, even though we didn't expect it.

Am I the only person to notice the OP decided to spend the day in Barbados at the beach instead of shopping for clothes and toiletries?

Maybe they were holding out hope that the luggage would still show up. That said, I can't remember anyone reporting their luggage catching up with their cruise in many many years.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble; however, the whole situation could've been avoided with a couple better choices, which a more experienced cruiser would've known:

- Never fly on the day of the cruise, especially when a connecting flight is involved.

- Pack light and keep control of your own luggage at all times.

- Always keep medicine and other valuables in your carry on.

Again, magical thinking.:rolleyes:

We're all aware of how you feel about Royal Caribbean. You're adding nothing here.

Enjoy your Disney cruise...............

Yet, on my past travels, I have been a Royal Cheerleader.

From what I am reading, about the new Carnival Vista ship (along with the current Breeze, etc.) Royal better step up its game, before it looses market share!!!!

Edited by gkbiiii

One can feel bad for the OP and ALSO realize that there were many places where different decisions could have been made.

A "guarantee" doesn't mean YOU WILL GET THERE. It means "if you don't get there, we will do *something*". So find out what that something is, since you missed a couple days of the cruise.

If you're going to write to Royal, you're going to have to include some things you glossed over; for instance, who you asked for shampoo, how often, and what they said, because at one point you say you *had* asked several times for it, but you don't actually mention that you did during your story. You're going to need to spell it out to get Royal to understand where THEY went wrong. Less name-dropping, more specifics of what you did to try to get help and were ignored.

Feel free to stop there in reading this post. Newbies to traveling might want to read further, in case they saw nothing wrong with what happened on this trip.

You've now learned a lot of things... places where different decisions could have been made:

1. 45 minutes layover in Dulles. :eek:

2. Packing medications in checked luggage.

I read this to my husband and he just about fainted when I got to that part. He says there are signs everywhere at airports (SEA is our home airport, he travels over half the year, he is WELL versed on the signs at Seatac) telling you to NOT do that. He takes a medication (used to take more, including syringes, and TSA isn't weird about syringes LOL), and he takes a MONTH's worth, in his carryon, for a 1 week trip. You just NEVER know what will happen.

3.Traveling without a credit card.

So I'll admit that DH and I lived dangerously like that for a few years. But we ALSO had a very kind brother and sister in law who helped us out once, and then later wanted to help us out again. After the second incident we got our own credit card. The second incident involved me having a massive asthma attack because of my dad's cats, when I didn't have any albuterol, and we had to stay with my dad because we had budgeted to the penny. The only thing that saved me was that my dad had recently been diagnosed with asthma and he had albuterol. That still didn't pay for a hotel, and we had to stay in the house with the cats.

4. Not calling Choice Air during that 90 minute delay in Seattle!!!!!! They could have helped you that night, not once you were at Dulles.

5. When they got the luggage from United and took it over to American...without getting more clothes, without getting the medications.

6. Sticking with junk food? United has a LOVELY Tapas box. Something like $8. Very nice. For cross country flights they tend to have other food as well; we never get to partake as we are vegetarian and they never serve that. So we try to snag the Tapas box as early as possible, before other omnivores decide to buy it when they can make other choices. Water is more than $3 at Seattle airport, and in Seattle you get street pricing (we're lucky). At Dulles I would expect it to be around $6. Why eat fast food? Unless it's the debit card issue and being budgeted too tightly?

7. Spending *hours* at lost luggage? DH has had lost luggage twice (Delta only) and it took about half an hour to fill out the forms. Then you move along. Did you *ask* for food vouchers, by the way? If you're not offered something, ask for something.

9. You didn't look at the bill for the Barbados dinner? It was when I read that that I thought...I want them to be more proactive. For the future, when traveling, you have to be proactive. Call ChoiceAir when the first flight is delayed. Check your bills. Ask for vouchers. etc.

10. Lost luggage packs could have been gotten from the airlines as well.

11. You have to ask the housekeepers for shampoo etc on Royal, as far as I can tell. You do not mention that you did that. Did you?

12. You went to the beach instead of buying clothes and medications. By the time you were in Barbados, how did you expect your bags were going to reach you? At this point the reality of it needed to sink in.

It's at this point in your post (as I go through what you wrote, for the 4th time) that you mention the medications. If DH had somehow packed his medications in his checked bag and the bag got mislaid, we would have called his doctor, had a prescription sent, and HOPED we could get it. It's a weird medication, not always carried. And we would have paid out of pocket for it (last time we paid for a pill OOP it was $48 US, and that was a few years ago) and gotten reimbursed later from insurance. He wouldn't have gotten on that ship without his medications, because of not knowing if foreign pharmacies could get it. And it's not a "life or death" medication (at least not a fast emergency type of death).

Last thought...

Losing it and starting to sob (which I have done before, at Disney, because their customer service isn't that great) WILL create a spectacle, and if you're implying that the ladies at the end of your trip were told about you by employees, I would just go back to that moment at Guest Services. And the following moments when your husband, without you there but thinking of you and how he doesn't like you being upset, was alone at Guest Services.

Emotions are why I am not the one to deal with issues in person, because I am not effective at getting compensation. DH stays quiet, asks THEM what they think is appropriate, and then lets them answer. And answer they do. I'm the loud one; though I'm also useful DH will invoke "I can call my wife to talk to you about this, but everyone around will know of the problems" if they aren't listening to him as he thinks they should.

I have seen waaaaaay more people agreeing with the OP than I ever expected.

Yes.

Several lessons to be learned here. Unfortunately, the OP had to learn them the hard way. :o

Very many lessons. Very unfortunate.

Well I guess now the OP is a more experienced cruiser.:rolleyes:

Most definitely. And traveler. And flyer.

Sorry to read about the nightmare vacation.....

It's always a bummer to read about a vacation gone wrong. Doesn't mean people can't learn from it.

Am I the only person to notice the OP decided to spend the day in Barbados at the beach instead of shopping for clothes and toiletries?

Definitely not the only one.

No, "magical thinking" is thinking that nothing bad will happen and so you can pack your expensive drugs into a bag that goes 100% out of your control. Magical thinking is thinking that flights never ever get delayed or cancelled and so you should fly in the day of. Magical thinking is thinking that "guarantee" means "you will get there". It doesn't. Never has. Means that there will be some sort of compensation if you don't. That doesn't get you there.

Proactive reality-based thinking is what a few of us are talking about here. What the OP did involved magical thinking.

No actually, it's good advice. It gives you the best option to deal with problems and still get to your ship on time - there's actually nothing 'magical' about it, it's common sense.

There's a whole section on these forums that deals with hotels near ports for pre-crusie stays, which offer shuttles from airport & to port, etc... reviews nearby restaurants... not magical.

RCI is going to pick the cheapest flight that gets you to the ship anytime before it sails.. this means that you can arrive at the ship at 3PM - it's not ideal to use them for flights. Go the day before.

3 basic (not magical) tips for flying 1 - Always carry on (definitely medicine, very unwise to pack meds in checked bags), 2 - Never drive yourself to the airport (allows you to deal with return issues and go into another nearby airport), 3 - NEVER choose any flight itinerary that has a connecting flight. You can break one of those rules.. OP broke all 3.

You can continue to call it 'magic' and roll your eyes or you can say there's lessons learned and ways to do things that you can control to make your situation more ideal.

Years ago we went on a cruise with friends.. we left early and stayed at a hotel and made it to the ship on time. They left the day of - we met them in Jamaica on Wednesday AND their luggage was lost.

Control what you can control - things can certainly still happen but you decrease the likelihood of them happening... it's not magic at all. There's a lot of great advice on this thread for these folks to travel much smarter next time.

Edited by Stags14

This is called "magical thinking": If something bad happens to someone else, if you can come up with a way it's their fault, you can convince yourself that bad thing will never happen to you because you'd never do what that person did. .

A lot of those 'thinkers' around here. Sad but true.

That is the thing....we did book it all as a flight/cruise package.

First of all, glad to hear you made it through that nightmare!

Second, we think you are well within your rights to contact RCL, and 'DEMAND Compensation', you booked through their service! (of course that is up to you, everyone is different)

No excuses are acceptable for your treatment, by the crew about your lost luggage which RCL is responsible for because you booked through them, and for the absurd treatment you received by the Dr. on the ship!

In our opinion RCL at least should offer you a 'free' cruise!

Good luck.:)

Really none of this was RCI's fault. They certainly don't have any control over flight delays or lost luggage. I'm guessing you didn't buy insurance either. Others have reported lost luggage and getting a credit from RCI to use to purchase essentials onboard. The ship does sell some items such as shorts, dresses, swimsuits, etc. I would have bought myself some new clothes, just a few pieces, but enough to get through the trip with washings. We never fly to a cruise (one time) but if we did, we would carry a couple of changes of clothes (including underwear) in our carryon and always carry medications and items of value in our carryon's too. You also could have bought a few things in port to carry you through.

I'm also confused. You were flying to San Juan but flew to Barbados to board the ship. Did you miss the ship in San Juan? Also, I live 5 miles from Dulles Airport and you could have easily taken a cab to a restaurant outside of the airport. There are a lot within 5-6 miles.

Domestic flights haven't fed passengers (except for business and first class) for years. You can, however, buy food onboard. And they do sell boxed meals that are diabetic friendly (higher protein, fiber and lower carbs). I don't get why you said you had to eat airport fast food for "several days". How many days did you spend in the airport?

Absolutely disagree!

RCL is involved because they offered this cruiser a fly/cruise booking which the booked!

RCL's treatment of this couple was absurd, terrible treatment!

You could have done this, you could have done that, all you're doing is making excuses, after excuses!

RCL 'SHOULD HAVE' taken care of this couple properly (t shirts and a tooth brush, seriously?) since they booked their flights through RCL! If RCL doesn't want this responsibility, they shouldn't offer it!

One can feel bad for the OP and ALSO realize that there were many places where different decisions could have been made.

A "guarantee" doesn't mean YOU WILL GET THERE. It means "if you don't get there, we will do *something*". So find out what that something is, since you missed a couple days of the cruise.

If you're going to write to Royal, you're going to have to include some things you glossed over; for instance, who you asked for shampoo, how often, and what they said, because at one point you say you *had* asked several times for it, but you don't actually mention that you did during your story. You're going to need to spell it out to get Royal to understand where THEY went wrong. Less name-dropping, more specifics of what you did to try to get help and were ignored.

Feel free to stop there in reading this post. Newbies to traveling might want to read further, in case they saw nothing wrong with what happened on this trip.

You've now learned a lot of things... places where different decisions could have been made:

1. 45 minutes layover in Dulles. :eek:

2. Packing medications in checked luggage.

I read this to my husband and he just about fainted when I got to that part. He says there are signs everywhere at airports (SEA is our home airport, he travels over half the year, he is WELL versed on the signs at Seatac) telling you to NOT do that. He takes a medication (used to take more, including syringes, and TSA isn't weird about syringes LOL), and he takes a MONTH's worth, in his carryon, for a 1 week trip. You just NEVER know what will happen.

3.Traveling without a credit card.

So I'll admit that DH and I lived dangerously like that for a few years. But we ALSO had a very kind brother and sister in law who helped us out once, and then later wanted to help us out again. After the second incident we got our own credit card. The second incident involved me having a massive asthma attack because of my dad's cats, when I didn't have any albuterol, and we had to stay with my dad because we had budgeted to the penny. The only thing that saved me was that my dad had recently been diagnosed with asthma and he had albuterol. That still didn't pay for a hotel, and we had to stay in the house with the cats.

4. Not calling Choice Air during that 90 minute delay in Seattle!!!!!! They could have helped you that night, not once you were at Dulles.

5. When they got the luggage from United and took it over to American...without getting more clothes, without getting the medications.

6. Sticking with junk food? United has a LOVELY Tapas box. Something like $8. Very nice. For cross country flights they tend to have other food as well; we never get to partake as we are vegetarian and they never serve that. So we try to snag the Tapas box as early as possible, before other omnivores decide to buy it when they can make other choices. Water is more than $3 at Seattle airport, and in Seattle you get street pricing (we're lucky). At Dulles I would expect it to be around $6. Why eat fast food? Unless it's the debit card issue and being budgeted too tightly?

7. Spending *hours* at lost luggage? DH has had lost luggage twice (Delta only) and it took about half an hour to fill out the forms. Then you move along. Did you *ask* for food vouchers, by the way? If you're not offered something, ask for something.

9. You didn't look at the bill for the Barbados dinner? It was when I read that that I thought...I want them to be more proactive. For the future, when traveling, you have to be proactive. Call ChoiceAir when the first flight is delayed. Check your bills. Ask for vouchers. etc.

10. Lost luggage packs could have been gotten from the airlines as well.

11. You have to ask the housekeepers for shampoo etc on Royal, as far as I can tell. You do not mention that you did that. Did you?

12. You went to the beach instead of buying clothes and medications. By the time you were in Barbados, how did you expect your bags were going to reach you? At this point the reality of it needed to sink in.

It's at this point in your post (as I go through what you wrote, for the 4th time) that you mention the medications. If DH had somehow packed his medications in his checked bag and the bag got mislaid, we would have called his doctor, had a prescription sent, and HOPED we could get it. It's a weird medication, not always carried. And we would have paid out of pocket for it (last time we paid for a pill OOP it was $48 US, and that was a few years ago) and gotten reimbursed later from insurance. He wouldn't have gotten on that ship without his medications, because of not knowing if foreign pharmacies could get it. And it's not a "life or death" medication (at least not a fast emergency type of death).

Last thought...

Losing it and starting to sob (which I have done before, at Disney, because their customer service isn't that great) WILL create a spectacle, and if you're implying that the ladies at the end of your trip were told about you by employees, I would just go back to that moment at Guest Services. And the following moments when your husband, without you there but thinking of you and how he doesn't like you being upset, was alone at Guest Services.

Emotions are why I am not the one to deal with issues in person, because I am not effective at getting compensation. DH stays quiet, asks THEM what they think is appropriate, and then lets them answer. And answer they do. I'm the loud one; though I'm also useful DH will invoke "I can call my wife to talk to you about this, but everyone around will know of the problems" if they aren't listening to him as he thinks they should.

Yes.

Very many lessons. Very unfortunate.

Most definitely. And traveler. And flyer.

It's always a bummer to read about a vacation gone wrong. Doesn't mean people can't learn from it.

Definitely not the only one.

No, "magical thinking" is thinking that nothing bad will happen and so you can pack your expensive drugs into a bag that goes 100% out of your control. Magical thinking is thinking that flights never ever get delayed or cancelled and so you should fly in the day of. Magical thinking is thinking that "guarantee" means "you will get there". It doesn't. Never has. Means that there will be some sort of compensation if you don't. That doesn't get you there.

Proactive reality-based thinking is what a few of us are talking about here. What the OP did involved magical thinking.

Some good advice(after the fact) and a lot of excuses!

Your comments sound like they come from RCL's legal dept., a lot of excuses covering what RCL didn't do for a product they sold!

The OP told a story that exposed what they could have done better, but it also exposed what RCL 'DIDN'T' DO!

RCL should be responsible for what RCL sells!

I'll also fall on the side of both parties owning some responsibility for the mess.

There are really two parts that connect, but are different.

The delay getting to the cruise - I don't know what the contract and fine print say, since I haven't used Choice Air specifically and haven't booked airfare together with the cruise in a long time (1992), we've always booked our own air since then. But is there a clause in the Choice Air contract that compensates you for missing part of the cruise? Choice Air can't manipulate time and space, it's not unforseeable that there are situations where they just can't fix it and get you there in time. Choice Air is really just a form of travel insurance. Our travel insurance will do the same thing - get us to the next port if we miss the ship due to cancelled or delayed flights.

The lost luggage - my husband had his luggage delayed on a business trip. He had insurance (through the travel service his work uses to do the bookings). But the insurance didn't deliver him clothes and toiletries. He had to go shopping and submit the receipts later. The airline and hotel provided packs, but then he had to hit the mall. He was compensated pretty quickly, and his bag did turn up eventually (tag came off, it never left "home").

Likely that insurance would have covered meds as well, or else health insurance would have.

But traveling without a credit card or a source of funds is pretty risky. Even with various kinds of insurance, you may need to pay up front for something then get reimbursed. My son needed 5 stitches once on a vacation. The clinic would not take out of state insurance, no exceptions (let alone out of country, we're Canadian). The insurance company tried to offer a credit card number to them, no go. We had to give a credit card ourselves. Cash would have worked as well.

The last point I'll mention, as a non-American, is that I'm always a bit surprised at Americans who assume US cash will be accepted when they travel. I live in a touristy area very close to the U.S. and I fairly often hear people complaining when retailers here won't take their US cash (most do, but there are some small places that don't). US cash is accepted pretty widely around the world, but not universally. Along with traveling without a credit card, I think traveling without local currency is pretty risky as well. We take both. Most places accept a credit card, not all. Lots of places will take us cash, but not all. Local currency will be accepted.

I think this thread has moved on from advice and support (or not) to the op, to a warning to other readers of how to make sure a situation like this doesn't happen to them.

Second, we think you are well within your rights to contact RCL, and 'DEMAND Compensation', you booked through their service! (of course that is up to you, everyone is different)

No excuses are acceptable for your treatment, by the crew about your lost luggage which RCL is responsible for because you booked through them, and for the absurd treatment you received by the Dr. on the ship!

So if I book flights and a cruise through an online agency they are responsible for my bags? Don't think so. The airline lost the bags. I also seem to remember getting a warning on Choice Air about connection times being too short.

No excuses are acceptable for your treatment, by the crew about your lost luggage which RCL is responsible for because you booked through them

Is this just something you believe or something you can prove? Are you saying that if you book your air through Travelocity or Kayak or Priceline or any other travel site that they would be responsible for lost luggage?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I am really curious because I don't think that is true. In my experience only the airline is responsible for lost luggage.

Well this thread was par for the course but I did learn a few things through the typical bickering.

• Don't waste your time with with Choice Air on domestic flights
  • 45 minute lay-overs are too short
  • Royal Caribbean has 'standard lost luggage supplies' that don't amount to much

We already:

• Pack some clothes in our carry-ons
  • Take multiple credit cards

So I guess this thread wasn't a total waste. Thanks I think. ;)

Just curious, at what point do you believe personal responsibility kicks in?

Edited by undertheradar

This culture of endless entitlement we have is truly getting crazy.

Even by the op's own account:

1. Choice Air provided the exact service they advertised. (What they actually advertise...not what the op assumed they meant).

2. RCCL provided the exact service they advertised, and probably even went above what they were obligated to do.

As a previous poster put it, was the op seriously expecting to get the run of the shops on AoS? I don't see why RCCL has any obligation to do that to compensate for the airlines' screw ups.

Absolutely disagree!

RCL is involved because they offered this cruiser a fly/cruise booking which the booked!

RCL's treatment of this couple was absurd, terrible treatment!

You could have done this, you could have done that, all you're doing is making excuses, after excuses!

RCL 'SHOULD HAVE' taken care of this couple properly (t shirts and a tooth brush, seriously?) since they booked their flights through RCL! If RCL doesn't want this responsibility, they shouldn't offer it!

the flights could have been booked by anyone. Your thinking, whoever booked their flights should be responsible.

This culture of endless entitlement we have is truly getting crazy.

Even by the op's own account:

1. Choice Air provided the exact service they advertised. (What they actually advertise...not what the op assumed they meant).

2. RCCL provided the exact service they advertised, and probably even went above what they were obligated to do.

As a previous poster put it, was the op seriously expecting to get the run of the shops on AoS? I don't see why RCCL has any obligation to do that to compensate for the airlines' screw ups.

This is complete BS, as Royal DID NOT live up to its contract and should fully compensate the OP.

A question: what about Corporate Responsibility, for the products & services it sells?? :eek:

What gets me, is the endless Corporate Entitlement and those who consistently defend their God given right, to do it. Perhaps, just perhaps, a little consideration for the little guy; you know, once in a Blue Moon!!

There is more to life, than being a Follower of Corporate Dogma; as Drinking Their Cool-Aid Spiced Propaganda!

Edited by gkbiiii

I feel for the O.P., indeed a tough experience but Choice Air and Royal both lived up to the terms of their contract.

Some may not agree, but maybe sit down, read and understand the contracts then instead of an opinion they could discuss fact.

This is complete BS, as Royal DID NOT live up to its contract and should fully compensate the OP.

A question: what about Corporate Responsibility, for the products & services it sells?? :eek:

Edited by WpgCruise