Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I received a copy of the new menu and posted it to a new thread. I didn't know how to make it larger but if someone with more tech know how can figure it out that would be great.

Do you use photobucket?

That works great

Upload your photo and copy the direct link.

Click square mountain above and paste the link there

I talked to my Cruise consultant and she echoed the same thing about new items being a charge and the original items being free. I told her what was going on here on cruise critic that people were getting their panties in a bunch over $7.95 per order and she actually laughed. she said in the end you've got to understand this is a business and though Norwegian cares about their customers and the bottom line is still to make money

Yes, it is a business and they have the right to make money but I read the interview with Del Rio and was not impressed one bit, especially when he said "how can I get $4 to $5 more dollars per day from you and your wife". Add value. Charging for something that used to be free, even if you "enhance" the menu does not add value, it's a money grab pure and simple. You want my money Mr. Del Rio? Give me a product that gives me a good value for my vacation dollar and not through a bunch of "free" promotions that we know aren't really "free".

I received a copy of the new menu and posted it to a new thread. I didn't know how to make it larger but if someone with more tech know how can figure it out that would be great.

If you go into view you can set the zoom to 200% and it is somewhat readable.

Edited by pizzalady1

I don't disagree with you. Just letting folks know what Andy Stuart has said. He has said if folks have any problems or comments to post to his Facebook page.

I have commented on his page but it looks as if he has only been on there once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is from the website tonight, a bit confusing.

Home > Faq > Money Matters

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

What is the Fuel Supplement?

What about Gratuities?

What's the service charge?

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

What about currency?

What are the customs allowances?

What does my cruise fare include?

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Room Service orders placed by guests sailing in Suites and The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

But it's not like it's a large fee and its not per item its per order.

$8 here. $5 there. Pretty soon it starts to add up. Besides, how do you know it is not a large fee. Back up what you are saying. Provide the evidence that it is not a large fee. Or, is that just your opinion that you expect everyone else to just except because you know best?

Here you go ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=344994&d=1427842638

I would need access to the original photo to make it any bigger.

Edited by Cuizer2

NYTeacher, thanks for getting the new "enhanced" RS menu up, I happened to look for the "old" menu in use currently then (last week) on the BA & had to ask our friendly & helpful steward for her assistance, got one & in a hunch, took it with me since it was a poorly reproduced copy off a printed fax, that's how bad it was - the vertical scanned lines are still on the shades of grey, I smelled something was coming but wasn't going to waste time/money paying for satellite internet to find out what was going on with CC sub-forum here. Then, words came from this week's BA group that more changes rolled out, unannounced.

Aside from eggs & meats, there is really nothing enhanced about it. My point of reference being from the year 2000 sailing on the Norwegian Sea - it's just a matter of NCL restoring their old offerings in those days, which we also had on the Dawn in 2003 - those of us that've been around and before learning/finding CC might've forgotten - my memories ain't as bad as it could've been.

Yogurt (assorted ones) and hot/cold oatmeals USED to be available as RS Breakfast items, just like bread (white/whole wheat or bagel) with jams/PB/butter, etc. along with juices and fruits. Smoked Salmon isn't on that new (but restored old) list either. Then, NCL streamlined and simplified it - these items are readily available in the MDR, Blue Lagoon & buffet as freebies - you don't need to be in a Suite or Haven to get these "treats" So, it's competitive with local McD prices here in NYC but of course, being FeeStyle Cruising - it's delivered for a convenience fee.

NCL is the new Papa John as pirates on high seas, gotta love Free Style Cruising in the new Norwegian way ... no wonder the chefs & kitchen staff were dancing thru the MDR's on the last 2 Sea Days, for a moment ... if I wasn't sober, I could've been fool to be on a Carnival cruise instead, except the waiters/esses were not singing but just clapping hands.

Edited by mking8288

I am from the south, and the way he was using honey and sweetie was 100% condescending. In fact most of the comments he made were condescending and just plain rude. Don't defend trolls...it just makes them feel justified in their mindless comments.

6&8

I was gonna let it go, but....I'm from the south also and agree with this 1000%!

On topic...someone posted way back that there were no RS menus in the cabins last week (which we all know means the only "test" is the price point). So perhaps they took away the "regular" RS menu, replaced it with the "for a convenience fee" menu to gauge interest. When they officially (no notice) roll out the "new menu", there will be "free" choices AND "convenience fee" choices. Trying to give NCL the benefit of the doubt, it's all I got.

So I think OP should change the title because this only applies to the Breakaway and Getaway ...for now.

However, I may considered avoiding NCL for awhile as I getting tired of trying to figure out what cost $$ and what is included. It kind of sucks how the megaships are already more expensive than the smaller ones, yet they have more a la carte options than the smaller ships.

There were no room service menus on the Epic 3-8 sailing in mini suite 14046. Asked for one and was given a photo copied paper.

I understand that the Epic is not one of the "test" ships. But the lack of a room service menu on any of the ships may mean nothing.

Wow ! No posts in over an hour . We will see if the furor will die down in time .

Also whether this is the start of (God help me) a new revenue stream for the various cruise lines.

Edited by richstowe

Wow ! No posts in over an hour . We will see if the furor will die down in time .

Also whether this is the start of (God help me) a new revenue stream for the various cruise lines.

That's because NCL tossed in scrambled eggs, bacon and pancakes in the new menu and fee. And well, the mere mention of those food tends to calm people down...:o

Why in the world would NCL print both the Breakaway and Getaway prices on the top. Why would anyone on the Breakaway want to pay $7.95 when they obviously see that Getaway is only $4.95 for the same service. I think these were printed in-house on each ship, so why in the world would they not just print the pricing for the particular ship.

One of the things my wife and I enjoyed on Royal last year was a nice in room breakfast while we got ready for our day in each port. I guess we will be going to the buffet each morning. But if they want to nickel and dime me, I can find ways to nickel and dime them.

Here you go ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=344994&d=1427842638

I would need access to the original photo to make it any bigger.

On our Epic cruises we had eggs and things available on the door hanger

So how is this any new:confused:

This night not be the best place for this question, but since room service is food and this is a food question - maybe someone knows the answer. If you purchase the udp can you visit two restaurants in one night? And is illusionarium still free on the first night with the udp?

I am from the south, and the way he was using honey and sweetie was 100% condescending. In fact most of the comments he made were condescending and just plain rude. Don't defend trolls...it just makes them feel justified in their mindless comments.

6&8

Look You don't know me from Adam or how I meant the comments that I said, I did not mean them to be condescending or rude but if it came off that way for the 10th freaking time I'm sorry. I just think its crazy people making a big deal out of eight bucks. my cruise consultant agreed with what I'm about to say, if you cannot afford $8 cruising is not for you find another hobby. I'm just shocked this thread has gone on as long as it has. maybe Norwegian will reverse this maybe they won't and if they don't there's nothing you can do about it.

This night not be the best place for this question, but since room service is food and this is a food question - maybe someone knows the answer. If you purchase the udp can you visit two restaurants in one night? And is illusionarium still free on the first night with the udp?

I believe the answer is, yes you can visit two restaurants in one night, but I have read that they recently changed it and the illusionarium is no longer free on the first night with UDP, at least there are a lot of people posting complaints indicating that they cannot reserve it.

Look You don't know me from Adam or how I meant the comments that I said, I did not mean them to be condescending or rude but if it came off that way for the 10th freaking time I'm sorry. I just think its crazy people making a big deal out of eight bucks. my cruise consultant agreed with what I'm about to say, if you cannot afford $8 cruising is not for you find another hobby. I'm just shocked this thread has gone on as long as it has. maybe Norwegian will reverse this maybe they won't and if they don't there's nothing you can do about it.

I have to work really hard for my 8 clear bucks... It's the principal of things, back tracking on what you originally purchased.

Yes you can visit two restaurants in one night.

As to your second question there has been a lot of opposing information posted about this as recently as today.

Yes;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026029

or

No:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2189558

Guess it comes down to who you ask. Good luck with it.

Rochelle