Laundry Service

whoah

I hate the idea of doing laundry on vacation but we are going for two weeks so laundry is a must.

How does and much does the laundry service run on Princess?

If I decide to do laundry myself, how much does a load run? I assume you can buy detergent and dryer sheets? Will the laundry room be less busy late at night or wee hours of morning?

Thanks.

$3 a load last time we used it, I thought the detergent was free, but maybe wrong, as that's "her" territory :D.

know my darling doesn't like the dedicates done in the industrial machines and prefers to do a load once a week or so.

Pretty sure the laundry shut about 11:00pm to 7:00 am. Darling tried to do it about lunch time, put a load on grab lunch back in time to take it out.

If you go the laundry service route, prices are per item, not cheap, but not exorbitant either. Also, on longer cruises they will sometimes offer a flat rate for as much laundry as you can cram into a bag for $20 or $25. It is a good deal as you can put a lot of clothes in that bag.

The last time I did laundry onboard, it was $2 per load per machine. I think the detergent and dryer sheets were $2 per box, but I bring my own (allergy issues).

We use the laundry service for DH's tux and it is a reasonable price. I think its actually more expensive to send it to the dry cleaners here (and the bonus is I don't have to pack it too carefully, it doesn't matter if it gets a little wrinkled).

If you do send anything to the ship's laundry, just remember when you get it back to look for the little ID tags they put in each piece. Otherwise, you'll find them months later, like I do :rolleyes:.

If you hate doing laundry forget the machines and use their service. Reasonably priced compared to most hotels.

scan0051_zpsevtxymhj.jpg

The laundromat is $3 to wash, $3 to dry and $1.50 for detergent. Ships are switching to using cruise cards to purchase tokens in the laundromat rooms instead of using coins.

We also have allergy issues, so having access to a self-service laundry room is a must for us, especially as we're aiming for cruises over 7 days. We take along our own allergen-free detergent (put them in a ziplock bag just in case of leakage).

Also many of my items (and our teen's) need to be washed in cooler water, and even some of those need to be aired-dried, so the ship's laundry wouldn't be an option for those clothes even if they had offered an alternative to their detergent.

Shipboard machines are single load, much smaller than what's at home.

We use 1/2 sheet of a Purex sheet (in a small sweater bag). Even that seems to be too much.

At worst you could bring a bit of powder and a dryer sheet.

I found the machines on the Royal Princess to be quite large so they easily held a normal load. They did not have visible digital timers on them so it was a guesstimate when a load would be finished. A load cost $3 each for the washer and dryer. I too bring my own supply of detergent and softener. I just keep them in my suitcase from trip to trip. The laundry was busy on sea days, especially the last one of the cruise. Hope this is helpful.

We did our laundry on the Island Princess. The machines were $2 (this was in February) and I thought they were quite large. The dryers are very efficient.

The busiest time, of course, is in the afternoon before formal nights. There were two irons and boards at first, but one of them mysteriously disappeared. Could be a crunch if you want to iron something shortly before dinner!

scan0051_zpsevtxymhj.jpg

The laundromat is $3 to wash, $3 to dry and $1.50 for detergent. Ships are switching to using cruise cards to purchase tokens in the laundromat rooms instead of using coins.

Do the laundry tags look any different for suite passengers? How do they know not to charge you?

Edited by Kenswing

do the laundry tags look any different for suite passengers? How do they know not to charge you?

if you have free laundry from whatever source it will be marked on your folio, and suspect in this day and age the computer would note it when they attempt to post the bill to your account.

I would ad that we have always found the dry cleaning great and at a better price than I can get at home, now days I pack my suit in my bag and get it cleaned and pressed first day, usually try to get it done last day as well if we are on a longer cruise.

Do the laundry tags look any different for suite passengers? How do they know not to charge you?

They charge everyone for laundry, including suite and elite passengers. Then each evening they issue a credit for those charges on the folios of suite and elite passengers. It is not based on anything on the laundry tag other than your name and cabin number - their computer does a check and issues the credits.

They charge everyone for laundry, including suite and elite passengers. Then each evening they issue a credit for those charges on the folios of suite and elite passengers. It is not based on anything on the laundry tag other than your name and cabin number - their computer does a check and issues the credits.

While NavyVeteran is correct, I also write on the laundry slip "elite" or "suite" to help make sure it is properly handled.

Sometimes the charge and then the credit show up on different days.

Edited by caribill

Does anyone know if laundry is open on boarding day? We're getting off another cruise and walking straight to a 3 day princess Cruise. Would like to be able to regroup some of our exercise wear.

Yes, we have used it on embarkation day.

Did a load on a port day around 10am and had the room to myself. Both the washer & dryer cycles were around 45 minutes each. Was able to go up on deck for a drink and have lunch between cycles so it worked out well.

We usually do a load once we embark and another close to the end of the trip as we plan on pre and post cruise adventures. We use Purex laundry and Shout no-run sheets.

On the Diamond in February the wash and dryer were $3 each. No extra dryer time was needed. The machine was electronic, used the room key for payment, and issued tokens for each machine. I take hangars from the cabin closet so can immediately hang clothes.

I meet lovely folks in the laundry room. Just watch your time to return....