Beverage Package Pricing Increase

I did not had the feeling Celebrity is up from Princess. For us it is the same level.

We also sail both lines intermittently.

I find them very similar (and we sail in Aqua so are eating in Blu - but because Princess has 3 dining rooms all of the MDRs are relatively quiet , which is our main reason for prefering Blu)

The only thing I can think of as "up" on Celebrity are the public restrooms.

I wonder how it is possible to track all wine prices to know there have been three increases? Not saying it hasn't happened but impressed people have tracked that. The last increase i know of was May last year and the caps were increased as a result of cc and FB outrage. Which was appropriate.

Also be interesting to see if bookings for 2016/7 with the promo package don't get hit with the increased cost to upgrade.

Just from being obsessed with cruising at this time, I have watched the pricing changes.

Package prices increased late 2013/early 2014. They stayed the same price as past when advanced purchased, and raised prices were paid once on board.

Month or 2 later, onboard and advanced purchase was the same.

May 2014, they moved the offerings within each package around (i.e moved certain brands of vodka from classic to premium, that sort of thing) and increased some drinks prices. At this time, they also raised the price limit for wines in package, and can not recall if they also did the same to other drinks, but thought there was some sort of increase.

And now this April, package prices are again rising, with a short period where old pricing was had pre-cruise, and new pricing on ship.

and here we are today.

Just from being obsessed with cruising at this time, I have watched the pricing changes.

Package prices increased late 2013/early 2014. They stayed the same price as past when advanced purchased, and raised prices were paid once on board.

Month or 2 later, onboard and advanced purchase was the same.

May 2014, they moved the offerings within each package around (i.e moved certain brands of vodka from classic to premium, that sort of thing) and increased some drinks prices. At this time, they also raised the price limit for wines in package, and can not recall if they also did the same to other drinks, but thought there was some sort of increase.

And now this April, package prices are again rising, with a short period where old pricing was had pre-cruise, and new pricing on ship.

and here we are today.

Your summary of events more closely matches by recollection of events. When they increased the limit to $13 for the premium package it was for all drinks.

The other poster who said that Celebrity has not increased the limits for 18 months and that Celebrity increased the prices for wines three times during that period (at least implying that they were across the board increases) was incorrect IMO. May 2014 is less than one year ago. Wine prices have certainly gone up, but not three times from my observations. Also I do not have the two lists to compare the specialty restaurant wine prices I do agree that there are less wines within the premium package limits on the current list. I suspect this is more as a result of the wines chosen than an price increase of the identical wines. I was certainly disappointed in that aspect of the change. Not a single Chardonnay for $13 or less on the list?

CLE-guy, nice summary of the changes.

Your summary of events more closely matches by recollection of events. When they increased the limit to $13 for the premium package it was for all drinks.

The other poster who said that Celebrity has not increased the limits for 18 months and that Celebrity increased the prices for wines three times during that period (at least implying that they were across the board increases) was incorrect IMO. May 2014 is less than one year ago. Wine prices have certainly gone up, but not three times from my observations. Also I do not have the two lists to compare the specialty restaurant wine prices I do agree that there are less wines within the premium package limits on the current list. I suspect this is more as a result of the wines chosen than an price increase of the identical wines. I was certainly disappointed in that aspect of the change. Not a single Chardonnay for $13 or less on the list?

CLE-guy, nice summary of the changes.

We drink a lot of the Malbec (it was Catena but this February. they ran out and it was a diiferent kind, but just as good)

In February of 2013 it was about $8.50 a glass.

In February of 2014 it was about $9.50 a glass.

In February of 2015 it was $10.50 (might be more, I'm not sure) a glass.

We get the premium package so it still fits but that's a lot of increase for a wine that is still $14.99 a bottle at our local wine store AND at Costco!

Edited by chamima

We just boarded the Equinox. Because we were 4 days out from cruising when I saw the original post (4/2), I was unable to upgrade my 1,2,3 Go classic beverage package in advance. So, I just did it on the ship and it was $16 per person, per day plus 18%. Took bill plus Celebrity's Cruise critic last post clarifying the issue. As of right now, it is going to be the $16 upgrade, but they will look into it. We shall see.

We just boarded the Equinox. Because we were 4 days out from cruising when I saw the original post (4/2), I was unable to upgrade my 1,2,3 Go classic beverage package in advance. So, I just did it on the ship and it was $16 per person, per day plus 18%. Took bill plus Celebrity's Cruise critic last post clarifying the issue. As of right now, it is going to be the $16 upgrade, but they will look into it. We shall see.

Thanks for taking the valuable time out of your cruise to post this. Please let us know how it turns out. With the timing of all this, you really were stuck between that proverbial rock and a hard place. Hope that the GR folks on Equinox cut you a break, on this one. Have a great cruise!:)

Thank you for letting us know!!

Really sad that this is going against what we have been told here. Hopefulky the issue get resolved in your favor.

Thanks for taking the valuable time out of your cruise to post this. Please let us know how it turns out. With the timing of all this, you really were stuck between that proverbial rock and a hard place. Hope that the GR folks on Equinox cut you a break, on this one. Have a great cruise!:)

Yes, thank YOU for taking the time to share with us. I hope it is resolved in your favor. It seems the only way to guarantee the $10 upgrade is to upgrade/pay before April 20 for upcoming cruises. Mine is not until 2017 so I hesitate to do this, but, need to give is some serious consideration. Thanks again for posting.

Oh great, I better upgrade now. Don't want to deal with arguing while on vacation.

Hi there,

You shouldn't have an issue.

I have to say, I was skeptical that this would be the case, and now Woldridge confirms that "issues" are in fact occurring, at least in their case. This, from the first post, has been handled extremely poorly by Celebrity.

Hi.

I also thank you for taking some of your precious vacation time to let us know what's going on.

I REALLY hope they make this right for you!!!!

Maybe one of us needs to make a new thread informing the "Official Celebrity " of what is actually happening on ships currently.

We drink a lot of the Malbec (it was Catena but this February. they ran out and it was a diiferent kind, but just as good)

In February of 2013 it was about $8.50 a glass.

In February of 2014 it was about $9.50 a glass.

In February of 2015 it was $10.50 (might be more, I'm not sure) a glass.

We get the premium package so it still fits but that's a lot of increase for a wine that is still $14.99 a bottle at our local wine store AND at Costco!

The Catena here in British Columbia runs from $22 to $50 a bottle (3 different labels/years) I'm jealous

Edited by Christine Frances

Thank you for letting us know!!

Really sad that this is going against what we have been told here. Hopefulky the issue get resolved in your favor.

What Celebrity Cruises said was that if you got the package as a perk, it would be $10 to upgrade but if you paid $49 for the package, it would cost $16 to upgrade.

Woldridge, did you buy the package or was it part of a promo?

Either way, it stinks that you couldn't upgrade before the trip and now they are charging you the higher price. I hope the rest of your vacation goes better. Celebrity really did not give people enough notice. And we here only knew about it because of CC.

Edited by CruisinCrow

I haven't been on Celebrity since spring of 2014, but at that time we had the Classic package as a perk. I never once was told that anything I was ordering was not available with the Classic.... New Castle Brown Ale, Bombay Sapphire....you name it. I don't know if everything I ordered qualified or not. I guess I figured if it didn't, the server could let me know, and that would be fine. I'd just change my order to something that did. Maybe the servers felt they either didn't want to deal with telling everybody what did or didn't qualify or felt they didn't want to embarrass the customer by telling them they either had to order something else or pay an up charge. I think going forward, 1 level of alcoholic beverage package would be the easiest program to manage for Celebrity crew. I'm really curious to see what changes now take place for our South American cruise in Feb of 2016.

What Celebrity Cruises said was that if you got the package as a perk, it would be $10 to upgrade but if you paid $49 for the package, it would cost $16 to upgrade.

Either way, it stinks that you couldn't upgrade before the trip and now they are charging you the higher price. I hope the rest of your vacation goes better. Celebrity really did not give people enough notice. And we here only knew about it because of CC.

He got it as part of the 1, 2, 3 promo. :(

Hi there,

Sorry that you are having these issues. Please let us know if they are unable to fix this pricing discrepancy.

We'll continue to follow this thread, but the ships have already been informed about the upgrade price, and as we promised earlier, this should not be an issue for our guests traveling in the future.

Hi.

I also thank you for taking some of your precious vacation time to let us know what's going on.

I REALLY hope they make this right for you!!!!

Maybe one of us needs to make a new thread informing the "Official Celebrity " of what is actually happening on ships currently.

Thank you, but this will not be necessary. We're sending an additional message to the ships to ensure that guests sailing do not experience this issue.

Hi there,

Sorry that you are having these issues. Please let us know if they are unable to fix this pricing discrepancy.

We'll continue to follow this thread, but the ships have already been informed about the upgrade price, and as we promised earlier, this should not be an issue for our guests traveling in the future.

Thank you!

I already had posted the new thread asking you about this before I saw your response.

Feel free to have it deleted.

Hi there,

Celebrity, please can you confirm - we on are on the Eclipse on the 9th May and got the classic drinks package as part of a promo- will we have to pay $10 + 18% per day for the upgrade or $16?? Thank you

As I said in my original post, it was part of the 1,2,3 Go promo. Either way, I am cruising so it is not going to effect my vacation. If they change their minds, I will come back and post.

I haven't been on Celebrity since spring of 2014, .

We sailed in the fall of 2013 just before you. When we sailed Nov of 2014 it was a very different program. A lot of items that were covered on the Classic were no longer. And many wines by the glass were now by the bottle only in both levels.

Celebrity, please can you confirm - we on are on the Eclipse on the 9th May and got the classic drinks package as part of a promo- will we have to pay $10 + 18% per day for the upgrade or $16?? Thank you

The "official" Celebrity answer is at this post (#289) earlier in the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46146345&postcount=289

Thanks Vulcan, I just wanted to double check with Woldridge having problems currently on board with the prices [emoji4]

I don't blame you at all Air79. I think that this entire thread has shown that there really isn't any "Official" Celebrity 100% answer. Probably directing you back to a post I would bet you read wasn't what you were looking for. I think until this whole increase rolls out for a few weeks of ship embarkations, there won't be a fool proof Celebrity action on board.