Rhine - water levels and similar topics 2015

notamermaid

The Viking Gefjon, stuck in Strasbourg for the past 5 nights and they are giving up. As of 1 pm today (and things change hourly) we are disembarking in the morning, busing to somewhere, taking a day cruise up the middle Rhine and then getting a hotel. Very disappointed in the way this was handled. No one seemed willing to look more than a day out. It should have been obvious soon that drastic changes would be necessary. Instead of cruising, we've been on a houseboat. No sure if we will get any sort of refund on this bust of a vacation.

Very disappointed in the way this was handled. No one seemed willing to look more than a day out.

I can certainly understand the disappointment, but it is unfortunately very hard to look more than a day out and sometimes even a few hours can be challenging as the water levels are so directly influenced by the weather.

Currently on avalon cruise told tonight we have to vacate tomorrow. Bus to paris 2 nights in

A hotel not of the same standard as the cruise ship,

we are trying to get up to date info about our next cruise, to commence in basel,

unfortunate but know we are not alone, we do not want a bus trip, seeking help from our travel agent,

It's now 11 pm. We haven't moved. Again, told one thing, but another has happened. I am upset with Viking. They don't follow through with anything they say. Maybe we will stay on the ship maybe we won't. Maybe we will go downstream, maybe we won't . My business doesn't work this way, why does theirs? I can be flexible, but this is ridiculous. I've heard from other passangers that this " non- committal language" is typical of the company. And here we sit . What a terrible vacation this has been.

@ All those frustrated:

I am not sure what you expect from the cruise line when the river is not navigable. Why no bus? How do you expect to get somewhere? By train? Five days in Strasbourg? It's a great city and right smack in the middle of a beautiful region. Were you not offered excursions and shuttle busses? That would be a bummer.

@ All those frustrated:

I am not sure what you expect from the cruise line when the river is not navigable. Why no bus? How do you expect to get somewhere? By train? Five days in Strasbourg? It's a great city and right smack in the middle of a beautiful region. Were you not offered excursions and shuttle busses? That would be a bummer.

A bus trip based in a Strasbourg hotel would not cost anywhere near as much as a river cruise. That's the source of the disappointment. If 5 out of 7 days are affected, it would be better to cancel the cruise and let the insurance take over.

But they have have been 5 days in Strasbourg on their Viking ship, not in a hotel, haven't they? So they get the same accommodations, the same food, the same wine, etc even though they haven't sailed down the river. And they also bused them to many excursions. I know it isn't what you paid for but it could be worse if you were put up in some not so nice hotel. When you book a river cruise you always know this is a possibility.

Hello Fafnar,

The Viking Gefjon, stuck in Strasbourg for the past 5 nights and they are giving up. As of 1 pm today (and things change hourly) we are disembarking in the morning, busing to somewhere, taking a day cruise up the middle Rhine and then getting a hotel. Very disappointed in the way this was handled. No one seemed willing to look more than a day out. It should have been obvious soon that drastic changes would be necessary. Instead of cruising, we've been on a houseboat. No sure if we will get any sort of refund on this bust of a vacation.

I am sorry to hear this. You have been very unlucky. Flooding in May on the Rhine is not so common, although it may seem to be as the 2013 disaster is still so vivid in people's minds.

I am wondering if you have been doubly unlucky because the Gefjon is so "young". I expect the crew were newly recruited for the "baby" - in ship age terms - Gefjon.

On a positive note, I am glad to hear they have organized a day trip tour along the castles.

To give you an idea as to the sligthly wild weather conditions at the moment: I was out and about yesterday, experiencing a little bit of rain and grey clouds with a little bit of storm to go with them. When I got home - about 20 kilometres further along the river -, the streets were still glizzening from sunshine on very wet tarmac. I was asked "did you get wet?" When I shook my head, the person told me in disbelieve: "we have had a violent storm with a complete downpour, it was quite fierce!"

Conditions can change from hour to hour indeed. Part of the predicting problem also being which tributary of the Rhine will bring what amount of water - after heavy rain - at what time.

Keep us posted about any reaction from the river cruise company, please.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

We are probably going to see a repeat of the same range of reactions that we had last time there was significant high water problems.

One solution doesn't satisfy everyone unfortunately and uncertainty is pretty much unavoidable until it stops raining and the surges have passed downstream.

Of course the passengers on-board want to know exactly what is going to happen, but the Captain doesn't get to decide if the river is open or closed for navigation and he too has to wait and see.

So if the crew says something might be possible and then it isn't they are blamed for misleading people, if they say nothing they are blamed for not telling anyone what is going on...

Cancelling a cruise might be good for some but not for others and it is a major step to take due to air travel arrangements etc.

So once again I have every sympathy for those on-board, both passengers and crew as this is no fun for either group unfortunately.

Happy to report that the water level at the most critical point right now, called Maxau, is falling. That is after a peak at around lunch time. It is predicted to fall slowly during the rest of the day and the night.

It is the area North of Strasbourg and South of Speyer.

Water high in the Middle Rhine valley but no official flooding. That means unhindered sailing, unless a low bridge is in the way.

notamermaid

Hello Mark T,

We are probably going to see a repeat of the same range of reactions that we had last time there was significant high water problems.

One solution doesn't satisfy everyone unfortunately and uncertainty is pretty much unavoidable until it stops raining and the surges have passed downstream.

Of course the passengers on-board want to know exactly what is going to happen, but the Captain doesn't get to decide if the river is open or closed for navigation and he too has to wait and see.

So if the crew says something might be possible and then it isn't they are blamed for misleading people, if they say nothing they are blamed for not telling anyone what is going on...

Cancelling a cruise might be good for some but not for others and it is a major step to take due to air travel arrangements etc.

So once again I have every sympathy for those on-board, both passengers and crew as this is no fun for either group unfortunately.

It is definitely no fun for the crew, either, indeed!

When I mean "young or inexperienced" I certainly do not blame anyone. Having seen the Gefjon and the crew earlier this year in fine weather and sailing happily on their training cruise, I think, unfortunately they have been caught out by a late incidence of flooding.

Thank you for pointing out again that the captain does not get to decide in times of flooding when he may sail. The local authorities responsible for the river (navigation) do that.

I wonder if a crew explains this in detail to the passengers - I mean - any river cruise company - not just in this specific case?

It could add to understanding and perhaps calm frayed nerves.

notamermaid

We just returned from Viking's "France's Finest". First half of cruise was on the Neptune and the second half on the Delling. We had no problems on the first half of the cruise going North and South on the Seine. However last Friday the rains started and we were on the Rhone going South to Avignon. We ended up getting stuck in Vienne on Saturday May 2nd for the remainder of the cruise. While the water levels are high most ships are still able to navigate the bridges. The MAIN problem as explained by our Captain is the French authorities closed all the locks due to the high rate of river flow. As such no one was going anywhere. Viking did everthing they could including bussing us to several sites for off ship excursions. We drove by several locks and I can fully understand why they were closed. Alongside each lock is a dam and the water rushing over that dam was creating the most unbelievable turbulent rapids. Any ship exiting a lock would have immediatley been slammed by this water. The potential damage to the ship and the lock was clearly evident and none of us, regardless of our disappointment about the cruise, would want to enter that water.

I'd like to make a second post of the flooding problem and our experience with Viking. This is our fourth cruise with Viking but the first in which we experienced a cruise interruption due to flooding.

Personally I feel Viking handled the situation as best they could. Viking has absolutely no control over whether they can continue the cruise. I've seen some comments on this string that I heard on our ship. Some people want a definite answer/status and any moment about what is going on. It just doesn't work that way and to expect otherwise is unrealistic. I'm quite confident some will complain that the sun rose in the East again. The Viking staff on the ship NEVER misled us in any way. They went out of their way to say that when they know something definite they will tell us. They even made it perfectly clear to do otherwise would be misleading and contribute to the frustration. Several passengers tried to get them to make specific committments but they weren't going to do that. Each evening we were briefed personally by the ship's Captain.

What compounded our specific situation is that when we were in Lyon on Friday, May 1st and as everyone knows all of Europe is shut down. We ended up stuck in Vienne on Saturday. Then you have the weekend which adds to the difficulty. Again, for some, they didn't care. I had become friends with the Cruise Director as we shared an enjoyment of photography and he assured me, and everyone else, that everyone at Viking Corporate was aware of this situation and they were working on several contingencies based on river situation.

On Saturday and Sunday we had our normal scheduled excursions. On Monday they coordinated busses to take us South to Avignon so we could at least do our scheduled excursion had we been there. Yes, it involved a four hour round trip bus ride but they made it happen. They also created a second, unplanned, excursion in Vienne for those who didn't want to take the long bus ride. Monday evening the staff briefed the entire ship that Viking HQ had arranged for hotel rooms for all of us in Avignon where there cruise was scheduled to end anyway. We ended up having to pack our bags one night early. We bussed down to Avignon Tuesday morning and they arranged for nice lunch in town and our final scheduled Avignon excursion that afternoon. In the evening they took us to our hotels (nice ones) where they arranged dinne. There were Viking staff on every bus and staying at every hotel. It was incredibly coordinated.

Trust me; I'm not saying I wasn't disappointed we couldn't have completed the cruise as scheduled. We were very disappointed, but Viking, and all River cruise firms, are VERY clear that they are subject to the whims of Mother Nature.

Just for the record, I'm not an employee of Viking but I'm still a dedicated fan of Viking especially seeing how they handled this very unfortunate situation.

Edited by mtlycrew1

Hello Mark T,

It is definitely no fun for the crew, either, indeed!

When I mean "young or inexperienced" I certainly do not blame anyone. Having seen the Gefjon and the crew earlier this year in fine weather and sailing happily on their training cruise, I think, unfortunately they have been caught out by a late incidence of flooding.

Thank you for pointing out again that the captain does not get to decide in times of flooding when he may sail. The local authorities responsible for the river (navigation) do that.

I wonder if a crew explains this in detail to the passengers - I mean - any river cruise company - not just in this specific case?

It could add to understanding and perhaps calm frayed nerves.

notamermaid

On our first River cruise the Danube was rising. Following the safety briefing, we had the Captain's welcome reception. During this, the Captain went into some detail about river operations and the possibility that our cruise might be effected.

A couple days later we were informed that we would leave port early in the hopes that we could make it under a low bridge. When asked what would happen if we couldn't make it, the Captain replied, "we go to plan b." One of the PDs quipped that their operations staff in Budapest "be working overtime on that."

Fortunately, all went well.

My parents are on the Viking Freya now. This is what my mom just sent after the ship meeting.

We are going to be driven to Nuremburg in the morning for our tours by bus...about 2 hours. Then we will have an hour and a half free time before they take us to lunch at a local restaurant ...after that we go on the city tour..bus and walk..then they take us back to the boat in Deggensdorf ...the good news is that Deggensdorf is closer to Prague than Nuremberg ..

She has said she feels that they have been communicating with the passengers well, letting them know yesterday that there was a possibility of a problem and they were working out options and have kept them posted.

She also said that those with early morning plans in Nuremberg are packing up a day early and will stay in a hotel instead of going back to the ship so they don't miss their travel plans.

Hopefully the water levels go down soon! There are at least 5 boats near the Freya.

I have to say Viking's FB page has multiple messages being deleted from current passengers or family.... Their manner of damage control is not changing from 2013 Floods :(

Edited by JVilleGal

We will be on our first Viking river cruise 10 days from now on the Romantic Danube route from Budapest to Nuremberg. Is the Danube river also at high level? :confused:

Yes - my mom is on the Freya which is/was doing the reverse route.

I have to say Viking's FB page has multiple messages being deleted from current passengers or family.... Their manner of damage control is not changing from 2013 Floods :(

I'm curious to see more before declaring no change. Some people will never be accepting of the challenges in these situations - that doesn't mean that Viking has not learned since 2013!

One thing that I do wonder is whether some passengers (like my family on board Freya) were more prepared for this possibility because of 2013...it was still NOT expected in May though!!

In the last week, parts of Europe have received a great deal of rain. While the weather situation is improving, sections of the upper Rhine remain closed to sailing; however, Avalon Waterways anticipates shipping to reopen on the river in the next day or two. We do have cruises currently sailing that have been affected. Our operations team has worked diligently with Captains and Cruise Directors to establish alternate schedules, sightseeing and excursion options for our guests.

If you have any questions about an upcoming cruise, we ask that you call us at 800.372.1761 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com.

I would judge based on what happens on the ships rather than Facebook.

Any corporate Facebook page is about marketing far more than customer support so you can expect anything too argumentative to be removed and for the aim to be to get people to use the channels provided for customer support rather than posting on the Facebook page.

Thus far I'm not seeing much difference between any of the lines based on reports from the ships.

All are busing people around and I've not seen a report of anyone cancelling anything yet.

Feels a bit too early to try and characterize how any of the lines have changed since 2013, but that could change at any moment :)

The Gefjon passengers are now in Mainz. Announcements of plans changed several times the last day on the ship. We were finally bused to Oberwesel, had a hour and a half tour of the middle Rhein with a rushed lunch , and then bused to Mainz. We were going to tour Luxembourg, but now are touring Trier. At least the Paris weather is looking up.

Look, I can be as flexible as the next person and I am definitely not blaming the staff for any of this. But I paid a lot of money to cruise through Europe, not live on a houseboat. And it especially hurt watching 2 longboats cruise down the middle Rhein as we were supposed to have done. Seeing Freiberg or Baden Baden was not what I wanted to do on this trip celebrating our 40 th wedding anniversary.

So, does Viking offer any refunds or credits for trips that went this wrong?