flights booked thru Viking

3red7s

Let me start by thanking all the CC people,..I am very comfortable doing /booking our regular ocean cruises, but feel very uneasy making plans for our 1st and upcoming river cruise. Your assistance/suggestions have been valuable. We paid to have Viking book our airline arrangements/transfers. We sail in August, so I not have our flights as of yet. Going from Budapest to Nuremburg, I am thinking that we will have at least 2 stops, coming & going. Will Viking have a rep there when I exit the plane for my layover & direct me to the next flight? If not, how do you manage when you do not know the language????

First, don't worry, English is widely spoken especially at airports and signs are usually in at least English and the local language.

There will also be airport staff there to assist if necessary, just make sure you know your next flight number.

Once you have the flight details then post again as many of us here are very familiar with many of the European airports and can give more specific advice once you have the details.

I would not expect that Viking will be able to have a rep there for each transfer as for the most part you are going to stay air-side for those transfers, but really , don't worry, you'll be fine.

They will only be available in Baggage claim at your final destination. Any other airports are just like the ones at home, look at the departure screens all over the airport, find your Flt and the gate it departs from. No different than home.

They will only be available in Baggage claim at your final destination. Any other airports are just like the ones at home, look at the departure screens all over the airport, find your Flt and the gate it departs from. No different than home.

Well maybe a little different. London Heathrow, Paris DeGaulle, and Frankfurt are all notorious for not posting the departure gate until about 90 minutes or so before boarding. That can be an issue if you have a longish layover. Just know the regularly check the boards for new or changed gate information.

Well maybe a little different. London Heathrow, Paris DeGaulle, and Frankfurt are all notorious for not posting the departure gate until about 90 minutes or so before boarding. That can be an issue if you have a longish layover. Just know the regularly check the boards for new or changed gate information.

That is mostly because the departure gate areas are limited on space and the majority of the shops restaurants, lounges etc. are not at the actual gate.

You will still know which terminal you depart from so you head there and relax until your departure gate is put up on the boards.

Since the majority of the river cruises discussed on this board are Europian cruises, there are many posters who are familiar with the airports the cruise lines use. Once you receive your flight arrangements, there will be lots of help from fellow posters.....just ask. You can also visit the airport's web page. There will be an English version, mostly indicated by an icon of the British flag. Most of all, don't stress, it will all work out.

I'll add that all Euro airports have signage in English.

For departure boards flights in Europe are listed by departure time using the 24 hour clock

( from my recollections of US airports flights are listed by destination city with times in 12 hour clock.)

Also each flight may have several different flight numbers thanks to code-sharing so before you leave home convert your flight times to 24 hour clock (easy, add 12 to hours pm, thus 5.30pm is 17:30), and look for departure time then destination city on board and if different airline number shows, just wait a minute and the airline numbers will cycle through the various code-shares.

When you arrive at a connecting airport don't automatically follow signs for arrivals/baggage claim -- instead follow signs for transfers or the gate number. Your baggage should be checked through to final destination so you won't see it till you arrive there, all you have to do is get to the next departure gate.

It's a lot easier than I've made it sound :)

Let me start by thanking all the CC people' date='..I am very comfortable doing /booking our regular ocean cruises, but feel very uneasy making plans for our 1st and upcoming river cruise. Your assistance/suggestions have been valuable. We paid to have Viking book our airline arrangements/transfers. We sail in August, so I not have our flights as of yet. Going from Budapest to Nuremburg, I am thinking that we will have at least 2 stops, coming & going. Will Viking have a rep there when I exit the plane for my layover & direct me to the next flight? If not, how do you manage when you do not know the language????[/quote']

Hi GGal,

We are on the same itinerary as you in the opposite direction (Tor ship), also in Aug, with Viking air departing from Detroit, not far from you. We agree it will likely be 3 legs with 2 stops, one to the east coast, next one across the ocean, and last one to the ship. So depending on how many red eyes and long layovers we could be dirty vegetables when we arrive. And flying high season doesn't help. The Viking agent said they try not to provide bad air b/c they know you probably won't use their air again. But some interesting stories back on the Viking Discount Air thread. It will be interesting to compare air (unless one of us does much worse :-( which apparently we get from Viking in May, maybe we can connect then. So far there is no roll call to connect on for our cruise.

So if you get on the boat and all the dinner wine and drinks are gone it's b/c it was a rough trip and we drank them all to relax, sorry.

Oh some of you folks are silly!!! but above all, thanks for the information and making us feel at ease.....just being a 1st timer....it can create a little anxiety....thanks again, you folks rock!!

Hi GGal,

We are on the same itinerary as you in the opposite direction (Tor ship), also in Aug, with Viking air departing from Detroit, not far from you. We agree it will likely be 3 legs with 2 stops, one to the east coast, next one across the ocean, and last one to the ship. So depending on how many red eyes and long layovers we could be dirty vegetables when we arrive. And flying high season doesn't help. The Viking agent said they try not to provide bad air b/c they know you probably won't use their air again. But some interesting stories back on the Viking Discount Air thread. It will be interesting to compare air (unless one of us does much worse :-( which apparently we get from Viking in May, maybe we can connect then. So far there is no roll call to connect on for our cruise.

So if you get on the boat and all the dinner wine and drinks are gone it's b/c it was a rough trip and we drank them all to relax, sorry.

Bob7 I am betting you will just have a 2 leg flight from Detroit. For reasons I can't explain Detroit has more nonstops to Amsterdam than anyplace but NY I am betting they will put you on one of those and then from AMS to your destination. If you wind up on Delta from DTW to AMS and are interested in upgrading a bit you can usually snag economy comfort for $59-69 for the transatlantic leg if you book it early. It goes up in stages to $99+ as flight dates approach. Here's hoping for good connections for you all!

Bob7 I am betting you will just have a 2 leg flight from Detroit. For reasons I can't explain Detroit has more nonstops to Amsterdam than anyplace but NY I am betting they will put you on one of those and then from AMS to your destination. If you wind up on Delta from DTW to AMS and are interested in upgrading a bit you can usually snag economy comfort for $59-69 for the transatlantic leg if you book it early. It goes up in stages to $99+ as flight dates approach. Here's hoping for good connections for you all!

MHB thx for the encouraging words and tips. If we got the direct flight from DTW to AMS, there are 4 non-stops a day from AMS to Nurenberg, so Viking might arrange it in 2 legs. We often find the transatlantic planes have twosie or twinsie seats at the rear where the cabin narrows, 2 seats alone for about $50 pp. I guess what you get in econ comfort depends on the airline?

-Bob

Why don't you just pay the fee to pick your flights and take advantage of getting both the flights & seats you want ? Do your own research first and have a couple alternatives. The longer you wait the best flights and seats will not be available.

Why don't you just pay the fee to pick your flights and take advantage of getting both the flights & seats you want ? Do your own research first and have a couple alternatives. The longer you wait the best flights and seats will not be available.

This is the bit I don't understand. Why do you get better service the more "fees" you pay. Surely you should get the same customer service you would get if you booked your airfares through a TA.

This is the bit I don't understand. Why do you get better service the more "fees" you pay. Surely you should get the same customer service you would get if you booked your airfares through a TA.

Does it matter (Ya it should) but Viking and other cruise air dept don't pay for tickets

until last minute before the cruise.

However, if you pay a small fee you can get your tickets weeks or months ahead when so much more is available. Frankly while it is not right I would rather get my flights sooner and not waste my breath fighting a losing battle. I'll save that for another day!

Book me 270 days in advance and have choices vs 45 days out and take left overs!

I agree with you but this is just not Viking, it's the nature of Cruise Air and the contracts they negotiate with the airlines.

Edited by JVilleGal

I agree with you but this is just not Viking, it's the nature of Cruise Air and the contracts they negotiate with the airlines.

It isn't just Viking, but it isn't all Cruise Air. I used Celebrity Cruise Air for my upcoming Galapagos cruise because I wanted them to handle all the details from door to door and they booked me on American, on the flights I requested, at the regular AA web price, and let me choose my seats -- all on the day I booked (well in advance of sailing). Why was it better to book through Celebrity than getting the same fare through a TA or the airline website? -- because Celebrity throws in the airport transfers in Ecuador, and at the time the cost of these flights was automatically included in the Celebrity trip insurance at no additional fee. So it worked out to be a pretty big discount, when you figured in all the extras.

Agreed some Cruise Air dept are much better than others! And there are very good reasons to book thru the cruise line in many cases. But I would rather know up front the "downside" and issues with a particular companies Cruise Air depart so I can make that system work for me.

I would never what for them to just give me flights and seats, guess I'm too much of a control freak. With Regent got example I pay the deviation fee and pick my flights and fly in early and stay longer. The long transfers in some very far off ports also need to be considered!

Yes I agree!

We flew from Detroit for our Viking chateaux and wine cruise last May. Our flight flew directly to CDG then a short jump to Bordeaux.

I paid the extra $50 to work more closely with Viking air and thought it was money well spent. I have a few issues about flying and liked having personal attention.

We got a very cheap Viking air promotion and the Viking agent said, and our booking contract also stated, that we are not allowed to pay the $50 to speak to or use the Viking Custom Air dept.

We have done three Viking European cruises and each time, because we have no loyalty to any certain airline, we have used the Viking air arrangements without the custom air option. The flight schedules have all been perfectly agreeable to us with efficient routing. Each time as soon as the arrangements were made known to us (about 90 days before each cruise), I went to the airline's website and chose the seats that we preferred. Never a problem at all to type in our flight number and choose seats for the trans-Atlantic flights. Not possible for the flights within Europe but those are all short in duration so I'm not picky about those. Have fun!

If you start from the position that you want a TA level service for everyone then the costs go up for everyone.

Many people are happier to get a cheaper cost and take what the cruise line arranges, or pay extra if they really need the TA style service.

Better that way than to have everyone pay more than they need to.

Generally, paying more for extra service is not an unusual premise...

Edited by Mark_T

If you start from the position that you want a TA level service for everyone then the costs go up for everyone.

Many people are happier to get a cheaper cost and take what the cruise line arranges, or pay extra if they really need the TA style service.

Better that way than to have everyone pay more than they need to.

Generally, paying more for extra service is not an unusual premise...

It is in Australia. At times on boards like this one that covers the world it is sometimes unwise to generalise. We don't pay more for "service" as is apparent in your part of the world.

It is in Australia. At times on boards like this one that covers the world it is sometimes unwise to generalise. We don't pay more for "service" as is apparent in your part of the world.

You missed out the 'extra' part.

Paying more to get more can't be an entirely alien concept in Australia surely?

I ask this in all seriousness as it seems at the root of other things like your definition of 'all inclusive'.

I am genuinely unsure if this is a general Australian perspective, that somehow the ability to pay extra to get something extra is considered somehow 'wrong'?

Edited by Mark_T

You missed out the 'extra' part.

Paying more to get more can't be an entirely alien concept in Australia surely?

I ask this in all seriousness as it seems at the root of other things like your definition of 'all inclusive'.

I am genuinely unsure if this is a general Australian perspective, that somehow the ability to pay extra to get something extra is considered somehow 'wrong'?

As I pointed out in another thread on a class action against Scenic Australia has very strong and comprehensive consumer laws under our Trade Practices Act 1974 recently re-named Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and if a company advertises a service they must deliver and there is no provision to pay more to get more. We don't pay "extra" to receive what is expected to be provided to gain our business. I believe Section 52 refers. I think your reasoning is more alined to an American perspective where it is common practice to pay more - tips - to get better service. That is not an Australian practice.

This is particularly relevant down here in what is "all-inclusive" or not. Advertising must clearly outline what is included or more importantly not included in the all-inclusive price.

Without wanting to appear rude there are very few similarities in Australian and American practices in Business, Politics and the often perceived "American way of doing things". In the case of my original question, in Australia if a company advertises a service it cannot levy an extra fee or charge on you if you want the seat of your choice on the flight of your choice or the table of your choice in a restaurant. That is why I clearly stated that I feel it is unwise to generalise about some things on a board that is read around the world.