Airport Security on the way to Port

1of4

I just heard on the news....apparently the change left in bins at American airports when passengers pass through security adds up to half a million a year! :eek:

Whoever says change doesn't count obviously doesn't know how much they are donating to the federal airport authority every year.....

Apparently the TA gets to keep it all. They said they try to reunite the cane with the owner :rolleyes: Yeah I have seen that happen....

Usually they are too busy telling people they have the wrong type of shoes....

Will not work. If you picked one charity, every charity that was not picked would go to court to get their share of the money.

DON

I humbly disagree..

If it can work for American Airlines Employees as well as their Passengers, then why wouldn't it work for the TSA & all the Passengers who go through a TSA checkpoint?

Will not work. If you picked one charity, every charity that was not picked would go to court to get their share of the money.

DON

I tend to agree with this. Given our current hyper-polarized political environment, any one charity would find itself facing claims that it didn't adequately represent various gender, racial, sexual orientation, and environmental causes -- the point being that travellers whose change is at issue represent a spectrum of all those interests.

I tend to agree with this. Given our current hyper-polarized political environment, any one charity would find itself facing claims that it didn't adequately represent various gender, racial, sexual orientation, and environmental causes -- the point being that travellers whose change is at issue represent a spectrum of all those interests.

I agree with that.

We have been fortunate that on our flights for the last couple of years, we have been pre-checked by TSA and do not have to remove shoes, belts, wallets, etc.

That random pre-check benefit is about to come to an end according to an email I received from American Airlines yesterday.

That random pre-check benefit is about to come to an end according to an email I received from American Airlines yesterday.

Oh? :( Was there anything in the e-mail that you can elaborate on?

I have been the fortunate recipient of a "TSA Pre-check" several times over the years. When I get it, it always feels a little like Christmas!

I will miss this if it goes away.

I humbly disagree..

If it can work for American Airlines Employees as well as their Passengers, then why wouldn't it work for the TSA & all the Passengers who go through a TSA checkpoint?

As I am sure that you are well aware, American Airlines is a private employer and basically they can do anything they want as long as it is not illegal. The TSA is a government agency. There is a bit of a difference.

DON

I have been the fortunate recipient of a "TSA Pre-check" several times over the years. When I get it, it always feels a little like Christmas!

Here is the email Ruth:

"This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:

• Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu

• Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab

• Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information

For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck."

There has been talk about this happening for a few months. The pax who paid for the service were getting more upset as the Pre-Check lanes were taking longer than the regular lanes. Although I have never experienced this at O'Hare in terminals 2 or 3 I have seen it occur in Phoenix at Terminal 4.

Edited by Laminator

If you fork over something like $80 you can have it all the time (for 5 years).

Those of us who went through the considerable effort and paid to be part of the Trusted Traveler program have been getting pretty annoyed at seeing lots of Untrusted passengers in our line. We filled out a very long multi page form, went through some sort of security check, went to the airport where the photographed us and took our fingerprints and paid for the card. If you want to have the advantages, of the program, go to the effort of actually joining it instead of freeloading onto it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

If you fork over something like $80 you can have it all the time (for 5 years).

Just TSA PreCheck is $85 but you can always get PreCheck by enrolling in other trusted traveler programs like Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI. We enrolled in Global Entry because it also makes re-entry into the US a bit easier. Here are the programs: http://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart. We both enrolled in Global Entry, partially because of our foreign travel but also because there was a local Global Entry office. The closest PreCheck office is 60+ miles away so the additional $15 each was offset by the cost of gas and hassle.

Edited by Randyk47

Just TSA PreCheck is $85 but you can always get PreCheck by enrolling in other trusted traveler programs like Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI. We enrolled in Global Entry because it also makes re-entry into the US a bit easier. Here are the programs: http://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart. We both enrolled in Global Entry, partially because of our foreign travel but also because there was a local Global Entry office. The closest PreCheck office is 60+ miles away so the additional $15 each was offset by the cost of gas and hassle.

You are right! actually we have TSA PreCheck through Global Entry too.

We also have Nexus/Global Entry, as we drive across the border often, and it makes a big difference, timing-wise. When we flew out of Victoria the other day, just to Vancouver, we were early, to allow time for security, and imagine our surprise when there was an empty line, just for us! It was great. No shoes off, or anything. Although the man ahead of us was sent for the full body scan thingy! We have tried to register our TT numbers with the airlines, but can never figure out which of the sets of numbers actually is the TT number - I think there are 3 sets of numbers on the card.

We also have Nexus/Global Entry, as we drive across the border often, and it makes a big difference, timing-wise. When we flew out of Victoria the other day, just to Vancouver, we were early, to allow time for security, and imagine our surprise when there was an empty line, just for us! It was great. No shoes off, or anything. Although the man ahead of us was sent for the full body scan thingy! We have tried to register our TT numbers with the airlines, but can never figure out which of the sets of numbers actually is the TT number - I think there are 3 sets of numbers on the card.

Your Known Traveler Number (KTN) or what some call their "TT" number is on the back of your Global Entry card. It's the nine digit number on the upper left side labeled as "PASSID".

Some of the people in the TSA pre-check never applied for the program but are enrolled at the discretion of the TSA.

I am one of them.

When I questioned why I was enrolled as I had never applied, I was told that the TSA was expanding the program to those who are qualified by their already existing security clearances.

That made sense to me.

Some of the people in the TSA pre-check never applied for the program but are enrolled at the discretion of the TSA.

I am one of them.

When I questioned why I was enrolled as I had never applied, I was told that the TSA was expanding the program to those who are qualified by their already existing security clearances.

That made sense to me.

That's true....kind of. They are now withdrawing these approvals and you'll have to formally apply to get a validated Known Traveler Number.

Your Known Traveler Number (KTN) or what some call their "TT" number is on the back of your Global Entry card. It's the nine digit number on the upper left side labeled as "PASSID".[/quote)

That's great, Thanks.