Harmony of the Seas- No Concierge Lounge?

D was allowed in C-Lounge some years ago. When D's lost access, RCI added the Diamond Event and started building D-Lounges. This latest change is definitely a step back for D-Plus.

I would not say that. with the switch from a CL to a suite lounge for Pinancle and Suite guests only, the D lounge will be for D+ Only and the Ds will get the three drinks loaded on their card

if any group has a legitimate cause to gripe, it would be the Diamonds who may end up losing any access to a Lounge altogether.

My lowly D+ seapass card still opens the CL door on the Liberty, :D.

Whether we are in a suite or not.

Panic must be about the Monster class ships?

:cool:

Edited by rocketsurgery
sp

My lowly D+ seapass card still opens the CL door on the Liberty, :D.

Whether we are in a suite or not.

Panic must be about the Monster class ships?

:cool:

That's because the Liberty still has a CL and not a suite lounge. Over time, the existing CL's will likely be converted to suite lounges and your card will not work at the suite lounge unless you are in a full suite.

I would not say that. with the switch from a CL to a suite lounge for Pinancle and Suite guests only, the D lounge will be for D+ Only and the Ds will get the three drinks loaded on their card

if any group has a legitimate cause to gripe, it would be the Diamonds who may end up losing any access to a Lounge altogether.

Have not seen anything that says D Lounge will be for D only.....please provide a link to your information. Everything I have seen is that D Lounge is for Diamond level and up C&A status.

With the continued growth of cruising and a good percentage of first timers becoming repeat passengers, there are naturally many more higher level members than there were 10 years ago. We started cruising in 1995, have cruised multiple lines, and are almost diamond level on RCI. Think of the hundreds of thousands of people out there in pretty similar circumstances. Ten years ago none of us would have had the "exclusive" diamond and higher perks. Now, hoards of us are about to arrive. There are more ships but, even with that, still many more diamond and higher members per ship as a percentage of the total passenger load, with this percentage growing each year. Using the following numbers for comparison purposes with no claim for accuracy, if 2% of every 2,000 cruisers were diamond and higher 10 years ago and the percentage is 5% today, that means an additional 60 diamond and higher members for every 2,000 cruisers. The capacity per ship and size of the lounges has not changed, nor for the most part has the number of suites. A ship that held 4,000 people 10 years ago (such as FOS) had roughly 80 diamond and higher members using the CL for every cruise in 2005. The same lounge now has to admit 200 diamond and higher passengers, this in addition to the suite passengers, whose numbers have not grown. Of course the lounges are more crowded and of course the line has to do something about it to maintain or restore the higher service and benefit levels that go with the suite passengers, who pay much more per person per day. We are the problem because the sheer numbers of us are diluting what used to be exclusive membership levels. Just as with airline miles programs, the rewards for these levels need to be lowered as more people qualify for them.

Perhaps RCI will introduce new, higher membership tiers with passenger numbers that reflect past diamond and higher percentages and move yesterday's diamond and higher benefits to these new even higher levels.

You are correct. D were in the CL before the last major change to the scheme quite a few years ago.

Raina

Raina,

Can't wait till next year to see you on Harmony Ta. Will andy and your daughter be with you?

Karen

Radiance - Alaska

They are phasing out Concierge Lounges for the "Suite Lounge"

I think that they are only phasing out CLs for SLs on Oasis Class ships. The deck plans for the Ovation still show a CL, not an SL, and that ship, like the Harmony, is scheduled for 2016. I think that the issue may be simply that Oasis Class ships have so many suites that RCCL felt that the suite guests on those ships needed their own lounge in order to properly administer the new suite perks that are expected to be announced in May.

I really don't understand why this is considered such a huge downgrade for D+ members. They used to be able to go to the CL to get free happy hour drinks. Now they can go to the DL (or any bar!) to get free happy hour drinks. Good grief, what's the difference?! :confused:

I really don't understand why this is considered such a huge downgrade for D+ members. They used to be able to go to the CL to get free happy hour drinks. Now they can go to the DL (or any bar!) to get free happy hour drinks. Good grief, what's the difference?! :confused:

Answered on the other thread.

A lot on Oasis class ships.

Not happy banned from the C-Lounge as a diamond. Now getting booted from the renamed C-Lounge the new suite lounge. Sorry not happy about the new changes. No reason to get to D+.

I guess I look at things differently... It's more like... WOW, I've been blessed to be on so many cruises and now I get some extra perks... How nice :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

With the continued growth of cruising and a good percentage of first timers becoming repeat passengers, there are naturally many more higher level members than there were 10 years ago. We started cruising in 1995, have cruised multiple lines, and are almost diamond level on RCI. Think of the hundreds of thousands of people out there in pretty similar circumstances. Ten years ago none of us would have had the "exclusive" diamond and higher perks. Now, hoards of us are about to arrive. There are more ships but, even with that, still many more diamond and higher members per ship as a percentage of the total passenger load, with this percentage growing each year. Using the following numbers for comparison purposes with no claim for accuracy, if 2% of every 2,000 cruisers were diamond and higher 10 years ago and the percentage is 5% today, that means an additional 60 diamond and higher members for every 2,000 cruisers. The capacity per ship and size of the lounges has not changed, nor for the most part has the number of suites. A ship that held 4,000 people 10 years ago (such as FOS) had roughly 80 diamond and higher members using the CL for every cruise in 2005. The same lounge now has to admit 200 diamond and higher passengers, this in addition to the suite passengers, whose numbers have not grown. Of course the lounges are more crowded and of course the line has to do something about it to maintain or restore the higher service and benefit levels that go with the suite passengers, who pay much more per person per day. We are the problem because the sheer numbers of us are diluting what used to be exclusive membership levels. Just as with airline miles programs, the rewards for these levels need to be lowered as more people qualify for them.

Perhaps RCI will introduce new, higher membership tiers with passenger numbers that reflect past diamond and higher percentages and move yesterday's diamond and higher benefits to these new even higher levels.

I don't agree. That would be true if the fleet was stagnant. RCL created all of these new levels as well as duped many of us into chasing those new levels. RCL has chosen not to design the lounges on the new ships to accomodate all of the new D and D+ cruisers they created. Perhaps we were too gullible and believed they would follow through on their commitments to the D and D+ cruisers. Shame on RCL

I am of the opinion that children should not accumulate loyalty points. Points should start to accumulate at age 18. A child is not loyal to a company, the parent is.

I am sure that there are many a diamond plus teenager out there that hasn't paid for a single ice cream cone. Their parent has already accumulated the points.

I don't agree. That would be true if the fleet was stagnant. RCL created all of these new levels as well as duped many of us into chasing those new levels. RCL has chosen not to design the lounges on the new ships to accomodate all of the new D and D+ cruisers they created. Perhaps we were too gullible and believed they would follow through on their commitments to the D and D+ cruisers. Shame on RCL

I would say yes on the too gullible part, but I would say shame on you for being too gullible.

RCI or better C&A never granted any perks as a given forever, actually the whole C&AS is not granted forever and could get terminated at any given time.

With the numbers of D, D+ and P cruisers around today and expected rise in the near future it´s impossible - even on the big ships - to design Lounges big enough to accomodate all of them. Expecting These perks to stay forever is really rather naive.

If you think about this with a rather cool head, everybody could have seen this coming and as a matter of fact it´s been discussed on here quite frequently in the past and it wasn´t a matter of "if", but "when" it will happen.

You can bet on changes coming to Pinnacles one time as well, once all now D+ advanced to P. This might take some longer and by then maybe C&A has been eliminated, but this won´t stay forever either.

I wish you happy cruising on Princess and I´ve cruised with them a few times. They offer a very nice product as well. I´d just like to give you one word of caution. Cruise with them for the joy of cruising and not for the means of collecting Points in a loyalty or reward program.

I might be in the vast minority here, but I certainly book Cruises for the vacation experience and I book them for the ship, itinerary, cabin, date, Price, etc. I do not book them to acuumulate Points. This is something that Comes with the anyway booked Cruises and if it gives some perks at some Point - great. But if not it´s not the end of the world.

I am of the opinion that children should not accumulate loyalty points. Points should start to accumulate at age 18. A child is not loyal to a company, the parent is.

I am sure that there are many a diamond plus teenager out there that hasn't paid for a single ice cream cone. Their parent has already accumulated the points.

I have less a Problem with Kids accumulating Points for Cruises actually taken. I think a bigger Problem is the Status match for Family members / Partners.

If there´s a match at all it should be on the cruise they take with the higher C&A member only.

But hey their program their rules.

Really? I have a D+ 6 year old with over 30 cruises under her belt. She saves her money she earns to spend on cruises. Whether it be candy, toys or items they offer the kids clubs, she directly contributes to the RCCL coffers. As far as loyalty, I am sure if you asked her who is her favorite out of the seven or so cruise lines she has traveled, you will get a quick reply. Long story short, you could not be more wrong.

Edited by rolloman

Raina,

Can't wait till next year to see you on Harmony Ta. Will andy and your daughter be with you?

Karen

Radiance - Alaska

How awesome Karen. Looking forward to seeing you again. Just me on this trip!

Raina

Edited by AussieVisi2r

To say the parents are loyal is accurate, however that doesn't make the child not loyal. If the child isn't loyal, guess what, when they become an adult they won't sail with RC and what level they have attained becomes irrelevant if they aren't booking cruises. We don't just book our cruises to suit us, we take DD's opinions into consideration. She has sailed several lines, and I can guarantee you she is loyal to royal.

Really? I have a D+ 6 year old with over 30 cruises under her belt. She saves her money she earns to spend on cruises. Whether it be candy, toys or items they offer the kids clubs, she directly contributes to the RCCL coffers. As far as loyalty, I am sure if you asked her who is her favorite out of the seven or so cruise lines she has traveled, you will get a quick reply. Long story short, you could not be more wrong.

Agree, DD saves up for spending money for arcade, gift store etc. also agree kids are able to determine their favorite cruise line early on. They decide for themselves which ships they like:D

Seems like a common error for us to mistake a marketing program for a loyalty program. You are correct in saying that it is the parent and not the child who has shown loyalty. But, when the children become adults and are D or D+ members they have plenty of reason to be loyal to RCCL.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an obvious downgrade. I do not equate hanging out in a quiet exclusive concierge lounge with getting 3 free drinks a night at a crowded noisy crowded non exclusive bar, or a huge diamond lounge where 15% of passengers are now diamond members on most cruises. They advertised a target of cruise days to become equal status with those that pay episodically for one expensive ticket. We achieved it and some junior marketing rep sold RCL management to change name of concierge lounge to suite lounge to exclude loyal class of customers. Contacted RCL. They admit to tactic. We suggested compromise. Let diamond plus get concierge lounge (renamed suite lounge) to diamond plus booking mini suites. No bait and switch like united airlines. RCL stockholder and D+.

To clarify. This issue relates to downgrade of royal caribbean benefits for diamond plus members. Before we got access to concierge lounge. With redesign of Oasis of Seas concierge lounges, which were accessible by diamond plus members, will be renamed suite lounges that are not promised to diamond plus members. Sleazy marketing move that does fit with previous RCL behavior. Should note we stiff get fruit plate delivered to cabins.

This is an obvious downgrade. I do not equate hanging out in a quiet exclusive concierge lounge with getting 3 free drinks a night at a crowded noisy crowded non exclusive bar, or a huge diamond lounge where 15% of passengers are now diamond members on most cruises. They advertised a target of cruise days to become equal status with those that pay episodically for one expensive ticket. We achieved it and some junior marketing rep sold RCL management to change name of concierge lounge to suite lounge to exclude loyal class of customers. Contacted RCL. They admit to tactic. We suggested compromise. Let diamond plus get concierge lounge (renamed suite lounge) to diamond plus booking mini suites. No bait and switch like united airlines. RCL stockholder and D+.

With the number of D+ on Oasis sized ships, the CL was hardly a "quiet" lounge, LOL.

The bottom line is the policies can change. Anyone who signs on for anything expecting that it will never change is naive.

By the way, I'm curious who you spoke to at Royal that "admitted to tactic." Really? You spoke to some low level phone rep who has been in the know all along and admitted it was all a devious plan from the get go? :rolleyes: